Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4, free upfront, €40 euro a month [24 month contract]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Ok im thinking of switching from o2 to this now.Could anyone answer the following:

IS the all you can eat for data.So can i use as much mb as i want without extra fees?

I heard some software known as cabbage allows you text people on the web?How many texts can you do this way?

Can i pay say a year up front and then the next year up front then?

Whats the story with the free add on?How long does it last and what do you think is the best one?

If i get insurance on this,what happens if i loose it..im a bit clumsy that way:o?

What happens if you want to get out of the contract early?Do you get to keep the phone and what fees are needed to be paid?

Finally, it would be my first time on bill pay and how does the upgrade thing work.In 24months time do i have to hand in my old phone and get a new one or can i just get a new phone.What happens if i have lost it by then.Does it mean no upgrade?Lets say in 24months time,there is a windows on 1 or 2 months before the new iphone comes out.Can i hold my upgrade till then and just pay an extra 2 months or do i have to sign up to another contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 braenard

Hey I used to work for 3 indirectly and here is some of the answers you can find on the site in the terms an conditions...... hope it helps......

IS the all you can eat for data.So can i use as much mb as i want without extra fees? Three continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by customers is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods). Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a billing cycle and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service.

I heard some software known as cabbage allows you text people on the web?How many texts can you do this way? Depends on the amount of data each connection to the server uses..

Can i pay say a year up front and then the next year up front then? More than likely you can but that would have to be discussed with customer services on 1913

Whats the story with the free add on?How long does it last and what do you think is the best one? All depends on what you are going to be using more of as personally I have the unlimited landline calls... just because I make a lot of landline calls.... You can also change the "free add on" every 30days and it lasts the term of your contract generally....

If i get insurance on this,what happens if i loose it..im a bit clumsy that way:o? You have to contact "fonesure" directly after going the Guards all the information can be found on their website.. www.fonesure.ie and you also get 3 months free insurance billed at €8.99 a month after for the iPhone 4!

What happens if you want to get out of the contract early?Do you get to keep the phone and what fees are needed to be paid? You have to pay whatever is left on your contract.. ie: your 3months into and 18month contract then you will have to pay the remainder of 15months...

Finally, it would be my first time on bill pay and how does the upgrade thing work.In 24months time do i have to hand in my old phone and get a new one or can i just get a new phone. You just get a newer model when you sign into another contract..
    What happens if i have lost it by then.Does it mean no upgrade? Insurance will replace the phone regardless of you being due an upgrade so long as you pay the excess and you dont lose your upgrade at all..
    Lets say in 24months time,there is a windows on 1 or 2 months before the new iphone comes out.Can i hold my upgrade till then and just pay an extra 2 months or do i have to sign up to another contract? You can hold off for the extra few months but just remember to ignore any calls from the telesales people because they will tie you into a new one and they don't understand the word "NO"!

Thanks braenard,

In regards in cabbage why would it matter about data usage.Sure i would have all you can eat data.

If your just doing normal web browsing you shouldnt go over the limit right.

Can you thether your 3 iphone if you want?

So you get to keep your old phone and they will give you a brand new phone when you upgrade. Am i right in saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Cabbage is an app that uses your allocated web texts, which I believe with Three is 333 per month.

Normal web browsing uses very little data, which could be as little as 500mb per month, until you start using Youtube or streaming radio etc.

I think you can thether, but this will obviously push your data usage up considerably.

Once your contract is up, or you sign a new one, the old handset is yours to sell/keep/burn/give away.

How do you mean you have 333 texts,i thought you have 350lexi units that could be used for say 700texts etc.Could you use online texting as well for example o2 have 250 free txts online.

Just to clarify the free add on is for the term of the contract and not just say the first 3months etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Fol20 wrote: »
    How do you mean you have 333 texts,i thought you have 350lexi units that could be used for say 700texts etc.Could you use online texting as well for example o2 have 250 free txts online.

Just to clarify the free add on is for the term of the contract and not just say the first 3months etc

You get 350 units. But all customers of 3 also get 333 online webtexts and the cabbage app allows you to use these texts on your phone just like real sms messaging (rather than having to log onto the website through your browser).

I'm pretty sure it says on the 3 site that the free add on expires in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

are you sure you have thought this through Fol20? and its not a kneejerk reaction with blinker lights for a "free" iphone?

24 months is a damn long time to be tied up to one phone, and tech moves fast, 2 more revisions will prob be out before you would be liable to change phones

Yea i have.iv wanted to get an iphone for a while,i was just waiting for the right deal to come along

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

anyone know how US texts/mms is incorporated in this 350 units as you can only text irish numbers on webtext?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

can someone confirm the following regarding this offer from 3 :

"Customers signing up to Classic Flex, or higher are entitled to receive one free monthly Add-on from mid-September 2010 until 31st December 2011."
    are they saying that the add-on ceases in December 2011 or that this is the last date you can opt in to get a free add-on?

e.g. if I select unlimited landline calls and join 3 now will the landline calls disappear in December?

• Advertisement

"Customers signing up to Classic Flex, or higher are entitled to receive one free monthly Add-on from mid-September 2010 until 31st December 2011."
    are they saying that the add-on ceases in December 2011 or that this is the last date you can opt in to get a free add-on?

e.g. if I select unlimited landline calls and join 3 now will the landline calls disappear in December?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Thats the stated period of the promotion but in reality it's going to be extended. They don't work hard to gain market share to let them all leave by cutting promotions and pissing people off.

The All You Can Eat data is for the duration of your contract so no worries there at all...

In fairness to Three; free iPhone 4, 350 flexi units, 333 free webtexts which you can use on phone with Cabbage app, free unlimited data, free unlimited landline calls, free 3 to 3 calls, '3 Like Home' for roaming, and use 1/2 your flexi units to call UK landline/mobile numbers. All for €40 a month :eek::eek:

Who the hell else can even come close to this????

tm2204 wrote: »
    In fairness to Three; free iPhone 4, 350 flexi units, 333 free webtexts which you can use on phone with Cabbage app, free unlimited data, free unlimited landline calls, free 3 to 3 calls, '3 Like Home' for roaming, and use 1/2 your flexi units to call UK landline/mobile numbers. All for €40 a month :eek::eek:

Who the hell else can even come close to this????

Definitely a great deal no doubt with that, and I'm sure it would suit so many people.
    I unfortunately wouldn't ever use the free landline calls, or the 3 like home (going to america for a month this summer and sure would have moved if it was available over there though!!). I unfortunately would want unlimited texts!
    I wish someone would just offer unlimited texts and unlimited data !!

Definitely a great deal no doubt with that, and I'm sure it would suit so many people.
    I unfortunately wouldn't ever use the free landline calls, or the 3 like home (going to america for a month this summer and sure would have moved if it was available over there though!!). I unfortunately would want unlimited texts!
    I wish someone would just offer unlimited texts and unlimited data !!

Agreed, the unlimited texts is the only shortcoming but they have to make some money :p You can use your flexiunits to text so 350 flexi units could be 150 mins, 400 texts and add in the 333 free webtexts and you have 733 texts total.

They do offer free unlimited any network texts on their 'Ready To Go' €20 a month offering which also includes free credit and unlimited free weekend calls to any network or landlines I believe.

Guess it's horses for courses but being on Three for me has saved me a ton of money as I have been able to take out my home landline & broadband as well as my business landline & broadband and just use my Three mobile for everything including tethering to all devices.

Fantastic :D

Agreed, the unlimited texts is the only shortcoming but they have to make some money :p You can use your flexiunits to text so 350 flexi units could be 150 mins, 400 texts and add in the 333 free webtexts and you have 733 texts total.

They do offer free unlimited any network texts on their 'Ready To Go' €20 a month offering which also includes free credit I believe.

Guess it's horses for courses but being on Three for me has saved me a **** load of monety as I have been able to take out my home landline & broadband as well as my business landline & broadband and just use my Three mobile for everything including tethering to all devices. Fantastic :D

Thats great that you've saved so much. I totally agree that 3 really have a great deal here and it would suit so many people I know! I'm just the awkward one who wants unlimited texts lol I'm actually embarrassed to say that the 700 (even full 1000) texts wouldnt be enough :o
    I checked out their PAYG option but the unlimited texts offer ends at the end of this week so no good for me!
    I am fairly sure I'm going to move to O2 as they have unlimited texts, data bundle for €10 (out of your credit which suits me since I never really use it anyway) and you get free €20 on top of it. Going to just buy the Iphone4 unlocked from Apple and then I'll have the luxury of being able to move if needed.

Thats great that you've saved so much. I totally agree that 3 really have a great deal here and it would suit so many people I know! I'm just the awkward one who wants unlimited texts lol I'm actually embarrassed to say that the 700 (even full 1000) texts wouldnt be enough :o
    I checked out their PAYG option but the unlimited texts offer ends at the end of this week so no good for me!
    I am fairly sure I'm going to move to O2 as they have unlimited texts, data bundle for €10 (out of your credit which suits me since I never really use it anyway) and you get free €20 on top of it. Going to just buy the Iphone4 unlocked from Apple and then I'll have the luxury of being able to move if needed.

That's a decent prepaid offer from O2 in fairness as well.

Would be pretty shocked if the Three unlimited texts offer is not extended as they will loose tons of people who's primary concern is unlimited texts (no your not alone :p). I think Three offer 500mb of data for €5 and, again, this comes out of your credit plus you get free credit as well.

You should look at WhatsApp which is an SMS/MMS app for smartphones that lets you send free SMS/MMS to any other WhatsApp users.

That's a decent prepaid offer from O2 in fairness as well.

Would be pretty shocked if the Three unlimited texts offer is not extended as they will loose tons of people who's primary concern is unlimited texts (no your not alone :p). I think Three offer 500mb of data for €5 and, again, this comes out of your credit plus you get free credit as well.

You should look at WhatsApp which is an SMS/MMS app for smartphones that lets you send free SMS/MMS to any other WhatsApp users.

Yeah there are some really great deals out there at the momentin fairness so everyone should be able to find something! I might try find out when this free credit promotion with O2 ends (they state March on their website but I'm hoping it is still running since they're still advertising it!) and wait and see do 3 extend their free texts offer next week.
    Not in a major rush to move. Also waiting to see what sort of surge there will be when the white iphone4 comes out! Might try get my hands on one if its possible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

JohnK wrote: »
    As someone who's never used 3, whats their network like? I'm presuming they'd have proper coverage etc but any gotcha's like no roaming or something silly like that?

I was with 02 for eight years or more. Got cheesed off with the poor tariffs and the way new customers were being looked after. Switched to Three and several people warned me that it was useless, blah, blah. With them around three weeks and the coverage is as good as I had from 02. Although my main phone usage is in Waterford/Dublin only. I mainly text (some 2,000 a month).

For €20 a month I get unlimited texts to any network; unlimited weekend calls to any network; and €10 bonus credit per month. Forever. Looking at the iPhone, it would nearly pay you to buy from Apple, then use threepay with a 500MB per month add-on (€5 extra). But I'd be a very light Internet user on the phone. Mightn't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'm all set to change but... I have an iphone 3 that is perfectly good ( I love it just a little bit) while the iphone 4 looks atttractive maybe I would be better off switching to three without the iphone deal.

I work from home and have wireless so the all you can eat data isn't important but I would hate to get caught out by going over my text, call limit. My 14 year old niece got this deal for her birthday and her bill this month was €130 :eek:. She went over on her calls and texts but not by much, the out of bundle texts are 17c each and she's a teenager. I've spoken to her about webtexts etc. but she is going to use her old meteor for texting and keep the iphone three deal for calls and data.

Anyone recommend a sim only plan for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Switch to 3 and get your free iPhone 4. Activate it using the microsim they give you, but don't ever use it! Put your number on a normal 3 sim to suit your current iPhone. In 4 months time, ring 3 and ask them to unlock your iPhone 4 (I think they do it after you've spent €150 on the account). You can then sell your immaculate unlocked iPhone 4.

I'd imagine simfree 16gb iPhone 4's are making over €500.

That's what I'd do anyway! Actually it's not. I'd use the 4.
    But if I was you, that's what I'd do! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Grawns wrote: »
    I'm all set to change but... I have an iphone 3 that is perfectly good ( I love it just a little bit) while the iphone 4 looks atttractive maybe I would be better off switching to three without the iphone deal.

I work from home and have wireless so the all you can eat data isn't important but I would hate to get caught out by going over my text, call limit. My 14 year old niece got this deal for her birthday and her bill this month was €130 :eek:. She went over on her calls and texts but not by much, the out of bundle texts are 17c each and she's a teenager. I've spoken to her about webtexts etc. but she is going to use her old meteor for texting and keep the iphone three deal for calls and data.

Anyone recommend a sim only plan for me?

The 3G and 3GS are pretty horrible to use on 3, they've put all their effort into making the iphone4 work well on the network. A lot of the stores to trade in and some buy for cash, walking away with a free new iPhone 4 and 200 in your pocket mighten be so bad.
    If your going to stick with your own phone look at classic flex max 30day, 350 units, unlimited data and a freebie like unlimited landlines. Set you back 35pm, if you don't need the unlimited data look at mini/classic/super flex with the 500mb data add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭ablelocks

maybe i'm missing something here, but if you supply your own phone, you can get the same plan for €30 per month (i'm on it myself). So for signing up for a 2 year contract you pay €10 more per month - so to my mind, you're paying €240 for the iphone 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

ablelocks wrote: »
    maybe i'm missing something here, but if you supply your own phone, you can get the same plan for €30 per month (i'm on it myself). So for signing up for a 2 year contract you pay €10 more per month - so to my mind, you're paying €240 for the iphone 4?

That how my sums work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I really need to stop reading this thread :eek: Im on an old school PAYG vodafone phone with 100min/100txts for €20...nothing fancy. Never thought i could afford an iPhone. Seriously reconsidering now.

How long is this offer available for??The 24mths lock in wouldnt bother me as i hardly ever change my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Soarer wrote: »
    Switch to 3 and get your free iPhone 4. Activate it using the microsim they give you, but don't ever use it! Put your number on a normal 3 sim to suit your current iPhone. In 4 months time, ring 3 and ask them to unlock your iPhone 4 (I think they do it after you've spent €150 on the account). You can then sell your immaculate unlocked iPhone 4.

I'd imagine simfree 16gb iPhone 4's are making over €500.

That's what I'd do anyway! Actually it's not. I'd use the 4.
    But if I was you, that's what I'd do! ;)
    They wont unlock until your contract is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

anniehoo wrote: »
    How long is this offer available for??

Until the end of May is what we were told the other day we we were signing up my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Yup, just got the call seeking a €150 deposit.

This deposit was mentioned no where in any T's & C's or at any stage in the online purchasing process. I'm not a flight risk and my credit rating is good so good luck to them.

I'll wait on the iPhone 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

connundrum wrote: »
    Yup, just got the call seeking a €150 deposit.

This deposit was mentioned no where in any T's & C's or at any stage in the online purchasing process. I'm not a flight risk and my credit rating is good so good luck to them.

I'll wait on the iPhone 5.
    When I signed up on Saturday the girl in the store told me she had processed approx 20 applications since the launch and I was only the 3rd person NOT to have to pay a deposit.

At no stage was a €150 deposit mentioned until the credit check came back and my husband was told he'd have to pay it. Even when she told us they had to run a credit check it wasn't mentioned as a possible outcome. I knew it was a possibility from reading this thread so we were forewarned. I thought is should have been mentioned when they were running the credit check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Can you walk into a three shop. Sign up / pay for it (deposit and all) and walk out with the phone ?.. Or do you have to wait a few days ?

Advertisement