Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4, free upfront, €40 euro a month [24 month contract]

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

anyone know an app for international texting i got eire text pro but 3 doesnt seem to support it with international

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

anyone know an app for international texting i got eire text pro but 3 doesnt seem to support it with international

3 don't have international web texts but if your friend has a smartphone tell them to download whatsapp

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

I'm interested in this, but does anyone know if I can ask 3 to bill me at the start of the month? or is it all dependent on when I actually sign up for the offer? I can't stand bills hitting me at month-end when I'm bordering on skint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I would suggest bitesms I use the android equivalent chompsms. For people who dont have a smart phone it costs me 8cents a text (you have to buy credits off them), for people who do, it switches to textfreek which is free. Not 100% sure it works the same on iPhone, but there is a free trial offer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

dazcush wrote: »
    I'm interested in this, but does anyone know if I can ask 3 to bill me at the start of the month? or is it all dependent on when I actually sign up for the offer? I can't stand bills hitting me at month-end when I'm bordering on skint!

Once you sign up! you have to ring customer service to change your billing date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

Misticles wrote: »
    Once you sign up! you have to ring customer service to change your billing date.

thanks for that Misticles. Pretty obvious now that I think of it!

For those looking for free text/call apps, Viber seems to be pretty good too. I'm just back from a weekend trip to the USA and my buddy left his sim card at home, but was able to use his iphone on wifi and phone his wife who also has viber on her iphone. video call worked too, and texting obviously. It's very similar to skype but uses the contacts list in your phone, as opposed to a separate skype contact list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

dazcush wrote: »
    thanks for that Misticles. Pretty obvious now that I think of it!

For those looking for free text/call apps, Viber seems to be pretty good too. I'm just back from a weekend trip to the USA and my buddy left his sim card at home, but was able to use his iphone on wifi and phone his wife who also has viber on her iphone. video call worked too, and texting obviously. It's very similar to skype but uses the contacts list in your phone, as opposed to a separate skype contact list.

I used Viber for a while. Got a lil buggy or something. It would re send texts a few days later which is annoying and causes confusion.

I use whatsapp now! Much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Just wanted to post an update after a few days with the iPhone 4 on three. It's pretty much as bad as it can be. Dropped calls all the time, in places with full signal sometimes then it drops and signal and says searching. No internet on 2G and very slow internet on 3G. That and the call forwarding icon on the iPhone all the time. It just shows the three network is not setup for the iPhone 4.
    The phone is being used around Cork city so should have great coverage but it doesn't. Going to be sending this phone back to three. There's a reason it's €40 a month, it's because three don't invest in their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

center15 wrote: »
    Just wanted to post an update after a few days with the iPhone 4 on three. It's pretty much as bad as it can be. Dropped calls all the time, in places with full signal sometimes then it drops and signal and says searching. No internet on 2G and very slow internet on 3G. That and the call forwarding icon on the iPhone all the time. It just shows the three network is not setup for the iPhone 4.
    The phone is being used around Cork city so should have great coverage but it doesn't. Going to be sending this phone back to three. There's a reason it's €40 a month, it's because three don't invest in their network.

I wonder is this a problem with the iphone because I have gone off that a little and am thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy 2 but I have reservations about the network. This is my Speedtest result which I have just taken. I use 3 mobile for my broadband.

lighthouse wrote: »
    I wonder is this a problem with the iphone because I have gone off that a little and am thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy 2 but I have reservations about the network. This is my Speedtest result which I have just taken. I use 3 mobile for my broadband.

It's a three issue not a phone issue, in other threads they others are having the same problem with Android and Windows Phone 7. Saying all that, it's a brill offer and the Galaxy S II is a fab phone. You've 14 days top try it and return it. I'd so that. They really just don't manage their network well at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

I got an iPhone on three last sept, I'm driving around cork city all day most days and am rarely without 3G or phone coverage. Maybe you have a dud handset

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It's a three issue not a phone issue, in other threads they others are having the same problem with Android and Windows Phone 7. Saying all that, it's a brill offer and the Galaxy S II is a fab phone. You've 14 days top try it and return it. I'd so that. They really just don't manage their network well at all.

Be very careful, 3 will only honor the 14 day return option if there is no signal where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Was wondering what that icon beside the Wifi meter was.

Anyway to get rid of? Wrecks my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

I'm really happy with my phone. I'm getting 4.6 mb download speeds, much faster than the mobile broadband I had with O2! The only issue I'm having is since my number ported I was having trouble getting the phone to pick up 3G in areas where I had full bars before the number ported. But that seems to have sorted itself today. Very very happy with it :)

I'm really happy with my phone. I'm getting 4.6 mb download speeds, much faster than the mobile broadband I had with O2! The only issue I'm having is since my number ported I was having trouble getting the phone to pick up 3G in areas where I had full bars before the number ported. But that seems to have sorted itself today. Very very happy with it :)

Thats the issue I'm having!! Since the number port the service is shocking. Just moved yesterday from 083 number to my O2 number. Anyone explain how to fix it. It really makes no sense at all.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Be very careful, 3 will only honor the 14 day return option if there is no signal where you live.

Are you sure of that? Because I don't think so. I bought it online and I'm sure in Irish law if you have a contract you always have a 14 days remorse period anyways.
    nightster1 wrote: »
    I got an iPhone on three last sept, I'm driving around cork city all day most days and am rarely without 3G or phone coverage. Maybe you have a dud handset

It seems the issue only started after my number port from O2. When I had 083 there were no issues at all. Can't see how this works since the SIM is the same and everything maybe it takes a few days to work across to the Vodafone system or something since they provide 2g roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you switched the phone on and off? That might cure it.
    Also make sure your using a rubber bumper as the iPhone will drop calls if your not.
    If switching it on and off doesn't work call tech support and they can activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Are you sure of that? Because I don't think so. I bought it online and I'm sure in Irish law if you have a contract you always have a 14 days remorse period anyways.

3 rang me last year to upgrade and told me they would send me a new phone. I could return it if I didn't like it BUT only if it had never been used. So basically you get to stare at it for a few days. Best try the phone in a shop first

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Having been with O2 and Vodafone and now stuck in contract with 3 for a year. I would not recommend 3 at all.

The 3 network in this country is bad and practically non-existent in the in the two locations abroad I’ve tried to use my phone. 3’s promise not to charge for data abroad is a joke since there is practically no 3 network to connect to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Starfisch

Meteor has the Iphone now too, for free on Bill Pay, 24 month contract, from 45€ pm including 200 texts (+300 web texts), 200min and 5GB allowance. Yes, its 5€ more pm but as far as I could find out, roaming rates for calls, texts & mobile internet within Europe are a lot more attractive.

Anyone else thinking of this?

Problem is, I couldn't find the full T&C's on their website...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

If meteor had free calls and texts to meteor numbers on that it would have some value, the fact that it doesnt have this on the lowest plan is dissapointing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Starfisch

I agree, very disappointing especially because now even on prepay you can select between free calls & texts to all Meteor or free texts to all networks and even something with internet.

For me, the main point not to have taken the 3 offer though are roaming charges. I want to use my phone at least in France and Germany too, and especially going online in those countries seems way too expensive with 3 (and also with Vodafone, O2,...). 99c per day for all of Europe with Meteor seems great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Starfisch wrote: »
    Meteor has the Iphone now too, for free on Bill Pay, 24 month contract, from 45€ pm including 200 texts (+300 web texts), 200min and 5GB allowance. Yes, its 5€ more pm but as far as I could find out, roaming rates for calls, texts & mobile internet within Europe are a lot more attractive.

Anyone else thinking of this?

Problem is, I couldn't find the full T&C's on their website...

It's still nowhere near as good as Three. Unlimited internet allowance and 700 texts or 350 mins.

I got the Samsung Galaxy 2 and loving it. Fairly good 3g signal in my house (tho i live in the country) and perfect signal in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasonhn

wow sign up to an 12-18 month contract on emobile the price of the phone is €569.00

http://www.emobile.ie/iphone/#plans

buy the phone of apple.ie its €599.00

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTQzMjI

it seems odd any of there plans with data optional the price of the phone jumps up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I finally went for the samsung s2, wow what a phone. Dual core processor, and 4.3 inch screen is gorgeous to watch movies on. I recommend the Sky+ plus app that lets you record programs on sky plus even if your sky box isn't hooked up to the phoneline.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bskyb.android.skyplus&feature=search_result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BBFlowerPotMen

When i sigined up for this offer, it won't seem to let me keep my 3 pay-as-u-go number seems i have to have one from a different operator.. Also i see alot of promo codes to choose from when signing up, can anyone tell me what they mean, should i just choose a random one or leave it blank as we are already appying a pretty good promotion!
    What have others done at this stage of the signing up process?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Hi guys.....

Am strongly thinking about this offer... Has anyone out there compared the download speed compared to Eircom fixed broadband or any of the other fixed providers.......

If it were something similar i would ditch eircom for the chance to have it on the move,,,,,,,,,,,

alan kelly wrote: »
    Hi guys.....

Am strongly thinking about this offer... Has anyone out there compared the download speed compared to Eircom fixed broadband or any of the other fixed providers.......

If it were something similar i would ditch eircom for the chance to have it on the move,,,,,,,,,,,

Mobile broadband is in no way a replacement for fixed line or cable broadband. The service varies *hugely* on mobile broadband and the speeds are particularly bad on three as you can see by so many complaints on the mobile broadband forum. Mobile broadband is far less suitable for online gaming and Skype and the latency is very high. As a side note, I'd avoid this offer, it's the worst decision I've ever made signing a 2 year contract with 3. The amount of lies, deceit and sheer rudeness of most of the 3 staff has been unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Mobile broadband is in no way a replacement for fixed line or cable broadband. The service varies *hugely* on mobile broadband and the speeds are particularly bad on three as you can see by so many complaints on the mobile broadband forum. Mobile broadband is far less suitable for online gaming and Skype and the latency is very high. As a side note, I'd avoid this offer, it's the worst decision I've ever made signing a 2 year contract with 3. The amount of lies, deceit and sheer rudeness of most of the 3 staff has been unbelievable.

That is my worry about signing up for this contract. I have noticed that my 3 broadband (on dongle) has got worse recently and does vary a lot depending on the time of day. Click here to see my speeds now which are fine, but sometimes in the evening they are very bad.

Advertisement