Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4, free upfront, €40 euro a month [24 month contract]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Incorrect. Listen to it in-app and it's uses nothing. You must be calling the number on the text message notification.
    Listening to voicemail messages is free as it is streamed audio over the data connection.

However:
    When someone calls you but their call is diverted to your HulloMail voicemail, you pay for the duration of that divert.
    So, if someone leaves you five separate one minute long voicemail messages, you will have had five flexiunits deducted from your allowance.
    If you have the unlimited landline add-on, then this covers the diverts so you won't have flexiunits deducted in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I was not aware of that. I apologise for the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

I think I'm gonna go for this deal, I just need to talk myself into it!

The main things making me consider it is that my ipod is dieing and will need to be replaced soon so buying the iphone 4 gets rid of that expense and my camera is really old and I hate carrying it around cos it's so bulky so again buying the iphone 4 will remove the need for a seperate camera. Also, I have a lot of friends in the UK and can use my webtexts for that if I get an app, +++

Being able to use it for using broadband on my laptop is another huge positive for me because I'm already paying €20 a month for that.

The only thing really bothering me is that it's going to cost €40 a month and I'm not exactly flush with cash. The few posters that have received their first bills seem to have gotten in or around the €40 so no nasty surprises, has anybody gotten any hidden charges or anything that they were shocked at?

Basically I'm just posting so someone will tell me to buy it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

I'm looking for an excuse to buy as well, but unless you use your phone a lot, I don't think a €40 per month contract is enough to tie me in. Tempting though it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

is three ok with internet connection? id love to avail of the offer, just have heard horror stories! is it worth the move from vodafone android pay as u go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

manu2009 wrote: »
    Yes
    I think I'm gonna go for this deal, I just need to talk myself into it!

Being able to use it for using broadband on my laptop is another huge positive for me because I'm already paying €20 a month for that.

:pac:
    is three ok with internet connection? id love to avail of the offer, just have heard horror stories! is it worth the move from vodafone android pay as u go?

I have been thinking of this offer for a few weeks now and am still undecided. Being able to use the phone to tether on my laptop does make this a very good deal if Three doesn't charge extra for this at some stage in the future. Am I right in saying that Vodafone charges €20 extra for this?
    I am a little confused with this on the three website;
    Mobile Broadband Add-on - For Bill Pay, for a fixed price each month you can get a 10 GB allowance to enable you to use your mobile as a modem so you can surf the internet on your PC as well as on your mobile. For Bill Pay Mobile Broadband Add-on users, if you go over the included allowance, your usage will be charged out of your available Flexi-units and then at the applicable out of bundle rate for your plan.
    What does this mean if you can tether with the phone already?

A couple of things that are holding me back are
    (i) comments posted in another thread about people having problems with calls being dropped when they are making voice calls
    (ii) my own three broadband has been a little slow lately and sometimes cuts out completely for 10, 15 minutes. I never had these problems before and I'm wondering if with a lot of people taking up this offer, is the network becoming overloaded? 24 months is a long time to be tied into a contract if the service is poor. BTW I have been a mobile broadband three customer for around 4 years now. I live in Salthill.

As far as I know, that info you quoted up there is only applicable when it's a mobile broadband add on. In this deal, the unlimited data isn't an add on, it's part of the original deal. I think if you go to the page with the offer it mentions that you can use it for tethering...I think

i was told instore its unlimited to tether. anybody who has three, is coverage good? im in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Is there any info on wether you'll be able to upgrade to iPhone 5 when it comes out??

Iphone 4 is out nearly a year now and a 24 month contract is excessive if an upgrade isnt available.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is there any info on wether you'll be able to upgrade to iPhone 5 when it comes out??

Iphone 4 is out nearly a year now and a 24 month contract is excessive if an upgrade isnt available.

22 months on a 24 month contract

• Advertisement

I'm now using my new iPhone :) everything is great so far, I did get hit for the deposit not sure why since work full time, no debts etc ah well that's life

Let's hope it stays good, great offer! They told me if I am unhappy with Internet as in there's clearly crap signal I can get out in next 14 days, I love this phone!

I'm now using my new iPhone :) everything is great so far, I did get hit for the deposit not sure why since work full time, no debts etc ah well that's life

Let's hope it stays good, great offer! They told me if I am unhappy with Internet as in there's clearly crap signal I can get out in next 14 days, I love this phone!

I asked about this in the Carphone Warehouse today, they said that if the internet had a crap signal I would not be able to get out of the contract. Is there only a 14 day get out clause if you buy it direct from the 3 store?

I asked about this in the Carphone Warehouse today, they said that if the internet had a crap signal I would not be able to get out of the contract. Is there only a 14 day get out clause if you buy it direct from the 3 store?

Ah they probably lied to me lol but surely if you are paying for a service and they fail to provide it you have rights and can do them for breach of contract?

Ah they probably lied to me lol but surely if you are paying for a service and they fail to provide it you have rights and can do them for breach of contract?

I hope so, cos I'll certainly try if I have crappy coverage! :)

^^^^ Oh and also, how is the new phone going? Any problems with it? I've heard great things about this phone, really want to get it!

^^^^ Oh and also, how is the new phone going? Any problems with it? I've heard great things about this phone, really want to get it!

It's great so far really is, I've had coverage all night with it except once it lost the signal for a minute, my other phones lose signal from time to time though so can't fault three for that! I think in Dublin anyway coverage should be ok well I hope lol

Yeah I think I've made my mind up, I'm gonna get it. I'm just gonna wait until I can get it from the three store cos I still have some questions. The guy in the Carphone Warehouse hadn't a notion what he was talking about, contradicted himself twice in the five minutes I was talking to him.

He mentioned that even if I have 3 mobile broadband and it works brilliantly, it is no indication of whether or not my iphone will have a good internet connection...but that when I use it for tethering...it's the same as mobile broadband :confused: That can't be right...can it?

Doesn't sound right lol I'd go to three and ask I ha a million questions and they answered them all, it's the cheapest way to get an iPhone I was with vodafone about ten years now, but so far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 afoley91

Hmmm did anyone else seem to get extra flex units for the first month?? Just got it on friday and when i look at my usage it said i have 385 flexi units left???

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Just ordered one of these. I have a wifi only iPad and this is great way to add internet to it. It would be €20 a month anyways for 3G for an iPad so €40 a month for free iPhone with minutes, sms and free unlimited internet.
    Has anyone tried tethering with the iPad with the 3 iPhone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

center15 wrote: »
    Just ordered one of these. I have a wifi only iPad and this is great way to add internet to it. It would be €20 a month anyways for 3G for an iPad so €40 a month for free iPhone with minutes, sms and free unlimited internet.
    Has anyone tried tethering with the iPad with the 3 iPhone?

I have an iPad 1 and it works a treat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

3 are now doing the same offer for the new Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone released last week. Free on a 24 month contract.

http://www.three.ie/shop/products/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-black.html?_selectedTariff=billpay&_defaultPriceplan=25

It’s a better phone than the iphone 4, dual core so a lot quicker.
    its the android competition for the iphone 5.

For people unsure about signing up to a 2 year contract for a iphone already a year old then this would be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

omega666 wrote: »
    3 are now doing the same offer for the new Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone released last week. Free on a 24 year contract.

http://www.three.ie/shop/products/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-black.html?_selectedTariff=billpay&_defaultPriceplan=25

For people unsure about signing up to a 2 year contract for a iphone already a year old then this would be a better bet.

Ooh that's a long contract!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

omega666 wrote: »
    3 are now doing the same offer for the new Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone released last week. Free on a 24 year contract.

hmmmm very interesting. I presume you can tether with this as well? Must do a little research on this but if what you are saying is true, then it does seem like a better bet than the i phone.

Is there an app for checking balance on three and keeping an eye on what you have left? Im actually impressed with the coverage on this, im going to enjoy having this phone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

lighthouse wrote: »
    hmmmm very interesting. I presume you can tether with this as well? Must do a little research on this but if what you are saying is true, then it does seem like a better bet than the i phone.

yeah you can tether with this phone also,

have a look at the reviews, its got number 1 spot on techradars
    top 20 mobile phones in the world today.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=21

Just got called for a deposit. It was for my mother who been in the same address 25 years+, employed, and pays all the bills through the account that 3 bill will come from. They've got some messed up requirements.

Problems with 3 already. Rang them gave them €150 deposit over the phone. Now they said they have no record of that at all and I have to do it again. Complete idiots. I hope this isn't the first of 2 years of trouble with them.

afoley91 wrote: »
    Hmmm did anyone else seem to get extra flex units for the first month?? Just got it on friday and when i look at my usage it said i have 385 flexi units left???

I seem to have same! Im afraid to use them lol us the website accurate or hit and miss? Any app that tracks it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

afoley91 wrote: »
    Perfectly normal. You will be charged two periods on your first bill - one period brings you up to your monthly bill date and the second is your first full month from your billing date. You get allocated your 350 units for the second period (first full month) and a pro-rata allocation for your first period based on however many days it is.

Your first bill will also be for more than €40 for this reason.

Advertisement