Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thoughts on RWC 2011 so far (couple of games down):

Why do they not display the controls on any other screen bar the loading one. Game is usually loaded by the time something other than incredibly basic controls are done with...I prefer to win rather than hit buttons and see what happens :D

Would prefer to change camera to end-to-end

Some animations are a little funky - passing at times doesn't look right...

Game is quick and fluid. Fun so far. I'm sure once I get the hang on set plays and fluid movements, it would be a whole lot better. Definately gone down the more arcade route, but it's fun so I'm not going to complain.

Risk of it turning into a game of shipping it to a quick winger and running / grubber kick.

Not pretty, but fun so far. More extended play is needed (I don't like that EVERY time the demo ends I am greeted with the advertisement screen...If I found the game fun, I'll buy it. If I didn't, seeing some random feature is not going to suddenly change my mind).

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Thoughts on RWC 2011 so far (couple of games down):

Why do they not display the controls on any other screen bar the loading one. Game is usually loaded by the time something other than incredibly basic controls are done with...I prefer to win rather than hit buttons and see what happens :D

In the pause menu theres an option to look at all of the controls!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

It's quite a average game. Probably a 5/10 verging on a 6. Just not digging it's mechanics feels very clunky and the presentation is worry for a 3rd gen console game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

God damn PSN! Hurry up Wednesday! I know it's not going to be good but it's been so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Played the demo a few times, you get a 5 minute half of a match then it ends! Its very like Rugby 08 with just updated graphics, most of the gameplay just seems to be recycled from the old game. (Player annimations, movements etc..)

Hoping rugby challenge will be a better game! Will still get this cause its finally a rugby game for the xbox! :)

Has defence been improved?

• Advertisement

Maybe a small bit, its still fairly dumb when trying to select a player nearest to the opposite teams breakaway player if ya know what i mean!

its_phil wrote: »
    Has defence been improved?

Yes to a degree that some of the old exploits like running diagonally with the 10 off a lineout or from a kick off would always give a break and no in regards to it being on easy. But some of the other defences problems like GIANT holes in the midfield still remain.

The passing to be honest, is terrible, im finding passes hang in the air for longer then should getting very frustrating.

Also the cinematics are awful the game spends 90% of it's time watching a players necks. Try replays are even worse, only one slide shows the full move the try the first 2 show the player grounding the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Fairly disappointed with the RWC demo to be honest, bad enough they only give you half a game but the fact it's the same as the old games ruins it. I liked the old ones but they were far too easy, so is the new one seeing as I managed to score a breakaway try with Dylan Hartley (yes I picked England, for shame..).

Are RC bringing out a demo pre-release?

No mention of any demo yet sadly!

Demo setting only on Easy which is bad...Fair enough to learn the game, but it would be nice to bump it up a little.

As said, cinematics are bothersome.

Some of the support running is terrible - will hang back and wait for defence. Set plays will carry on regardless, so if the ball doesn't go to hand everyone just carries on! In saying that, I do like the idea of the set play.

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Demo setting only on Easy which is bad...Fair enough to learn the game, but it would be nice to bump it up a little.

As said, cinematics are bothersome.

Some of the support running is terrible - will hang back and wait for defence. Set plays will carry on regardless, so if the ball doesn't go to hand everyone just carries on! In saying that, I do like the idea of the set play.

Id love the set plays to be like NBA 2K11 where the player has to run it rather then a animation to play out. The problem I have with set plays is that it takes you away from the game from for a few seconds. If i could have full control of the fly half in movement and have to make the play myself I think it would add a hell of a lot more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Not too sure if any of you guys would be interested in gameplay footage of it...

I posted it on the games forum too. Thought it was quite easy to win because you're stuck on easy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Davidmator

Im geting rwc only because it comes out earliar than rc. Id just get bored playing the same competition over and over. Bad decision by rwc not to include other main rugby competitions. Gone backwards on rugby 08...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Have either games released specific release dates? I'm looking forward to some boards rugby challenge games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hagz wrote: »
    Have either games released specific release dates? I'm looking forward to some boards rugby challenge games.

RWC is out on the 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

8th of Sept for Rugby Challenge, I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

tolosenc wrote: »
    8th of Sept for Rugby Challenge, I think...

The Rugby Challenge developers have come out to say that any date you see is probably just a retailer placeholder. No date has been confimed yet.

Will def wait for that at this stage though. Played the RWC demo last night and it is just Rugby08 with slightly better graphics. The graphics themselves are, by current standards, very poor. About the only thing I found to be an improvement was the commentary. I actually quite enjoyed that. It was far more detailed than previous versions from what I could make out (only played the demo 3 times so that's only 15 mins worth). I just couldn't justify forking out full whack for this when the mods for Rugby08 give you so much more really.

Roll on Challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Agreed, I wasn't expecting much from this game but the demo is actually worse than my expectations. The graphics are clunky and the passing & lines of running are like previous rugby games and no improvement. The poorest aspect is defence, and I can see it being a big problem on 2 player and XboXlive.

I've a feeling if I buy this game I may need to buy extra controllers and maybe soundproof the walls of my sitting room as I'll be roaring at the tele and throwing controllers off the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Downloaded the demo, really isn't great at all, stupid things like kicking the ball dead over the deadball and it's a 22 and not a scrum back.

Also anyone tell me how to do the set plays, when i select one and press pass, players line up but dont seem to do the moves...

Played it for a while today. It's weird when you select a set-play like dummy switch, yet when you pass nothing happens. I think it just aligns the backs and then you have to do the move, which is impossible with the passing mechanisms in the game. Also, I wasn't a fan of the camera angle they stuck me with. I couldn't see the opposing full-backs positioning.

It would have been nice too if your friendly AI read the game a little bit. Like for instance when I chipped through for one of them, they just have no clue what it is I was going for. Also, is there a way of dummying? I thought it was RB then LB in quick succession but that didn't work.

Commentary is actually a nice part of the game.
    As far as the graphics go, they're not that bad. Obviously they don't stand up to the graphics in the likes of FIFA etc, but they aren't disastrous. However, the replay after a try is scored, is pathetic. I don't need to see the guy placing it down twice. And that bug where you can't dive try when someone is sort of close behind you is still in the game.

I'll end up buying it though, because it's still relatively enjoyable, and I want to support the game so that they don't just give up on the series.

• Advertisement

For set plays, select the play with right stick. Arrow above scrum half flashes - when it goes green, pass to the side where everyone had positioned themselves. Then you hit the corresponding button to pass to that running player. The dummy switch is iffy because player usually gets tackled after the dummy, but before they can ship it on.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Found the demo pretty disappointing. Wouldn't dream of spending new-game money for such a minor improvement on the 06/08 versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I started the original Thread on these games to be released..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70147331

just saying :)

or gloating or something lol

I'm sick of waiting at this stage, that thread was made almost 7 months ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Without doubt it seems the RWC game is doomed to be a failure, I think it's always telling when two of the genre games come out and one is happy to be released over a week after the first one.

shoutman wrote: »
    Without doubt it seems the RWC game is doomed to be a failure, I think it's always telling when two of the genre games come out and one is happy to be released over a week after the first one.

They only have themselves to blame if it does fail, the game as whole has barely moved forward in terms of progression since 2005. Yet their backers on the official forums are still buying us so that the next game they make things better. Im sorry but it's 2011 and they'v spent the last 6 years going sideways in development we deserve better. Hell things they did well like passing have no gone completely down the toilet, can't stand balls hovering in the air in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

mystic86 wrote: »
    I started the original Thread on these games to be released..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70147331

just saying :)

or gloating or something lol

I'm sick of waiting at this stage, that thread was made almost 7 months ago now

Well I started this on the Rugby Forum about 15 months ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65747022
    but kudos goes to MikeyT086 for the info.

Just saying ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Going to download the World Cup demo this evening. Not liking the reports so far. By the sounds of things, I still don't think anything is going to overtake the original Jonah Lomu Rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rugby World Cup is very like Rugby 08, mostly the same controls with maybe one or two changes. reminds me of an arcade game.

Probly still buy the game because i want to play in the aviva in it.

Rugby Challenge looks better, better competions, clubs and they have an unlicsed Six Nations in it unlike Rugby World Cup who have all the six nations teams liscensed but doesnet have the six nations competition :confused::mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

@mystic86 I presume it's the same mystic from youtube? The videos you put up look great, is it very balanced when you are playing human v human? I'd hate if it was too easy to win cheap by things like running sideways across the pitch and passing to a quick winger, that kinda stuff would ruin it for me!

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »
    @mystic86 I presume it's the same mystic from youtube? The videos you put up look great, is it very balanced when you are playing human v human? I'd hate if it was too easy to win cheap by things like running sideways across the pitch and passing to a quick winger, that kinda stuff would ruin it for me!

Any chance you could share a link to these videos with us/me??

Advertisement