Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Hagz wrote: »
    Any chance you could share a link to these videos with us/me??

Yeah no problem, here's one, the other is on the same channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I felt like I'd gone back in time to 2006/2008 when I picked up the demo there. Bizzarro, they've actually managed to go backwards from 2008 as well, as Stev_O mentioned the passing is significantly less fluid.

The fact that I could pick this up and instantly remember how to play the game is a bit shocking, no new features, nothing.

I'll be getting RC rather than this, unless it turns up in a bargain bin. RC might end up being a bag of ****e, but at least it'll be a different bag. I've already played this one already :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Loving the sound of the Team Tactics Attributes!
    "At the team level, things get even more interesting. A team’s performance is not only based on the sum of its players, but also on team attributes and tactics. Team attributes measure the side’s overall cohesion on attack, defense, set-plays, et cetera. The tactic’s screen allows you to adjust the style of play, moving sliders to set the balance between passing and driving up the middle, offloading or taking the hit"

Also
    Perhaps more importantly, you will be free to create your own custom competitions, which can incorporate league and knockout matches, pool play — even strange tiered structures like you’d see at the Rugby League World Cup.

If that's true then RC has won hands down.

Taken from the NZ Gamer preview. http://nzgamer.com/ps3/previews/953/all-blacks-rugby-challenge-hands-on.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Crash wrote: »
    I felt like I'd gone back in time to 2006/2008 when I picked up the demo there. Bizzarro, they've actually managed to go backwards from 2008 as well, as Stev_O mentioned the passing is significantly less fluid.

The fact that I could pick this up and instantly remember how to play the game is a bit shocking, no new features, nothing.

I'll be getting RC rather than this, unless it turns up in a bargain bin. RC might end up being a bag of ****e, but at least it'll be a different bag. I've already played this one already :P

Tbh i cried when i played the demo, i cried... thats how bad it was.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Stev_o wrote: »

Read that earlier too. The more I hear about it the better it sounds. They have more international licenses yet to announce (fingers crossed there, but with all Irish players in licensed clubs/provinces it shouldn't matter too much). Apparently they've a big announcement coming on Monday and there's some speculation that it might finally be a release date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I've ordered both games, can't believe I spent €45 on a sub par game like RWC but at least it will keep me going until Rugby Challenge arrives and then the ACTUAL World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I've ordered both games, can't believe I spent €45 on a sub par game like RWC but at least it will keep me going until Rugby Challenge arrives and then the ACTUAL World Cup.

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Where have you ordered Rugby Challenge from? I couldn't find it available to order anywhere. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭budhabob

molloyjh wrote: »
    Apparently they've a big announcement coming on Monday and there's some speculation that it might finally be a release date.

Any Update on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

antlyn wrote: »
    Where have you ordered Rugby Challenge from? I couldn't find it available to order anywhere. Thanks

Gamestop and play have it up on their sites for preorder.

As for the "big announcment".
    That was just some people got in it into their heads that there would be an announcment today. and it was completly untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

After seeing this video I can't wait for the release of RC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Finally got around to playing the demo for RWC 2011. It's fun, but it just had me wondering, how could it possibly take that long to make the game if you're just carbon copying Rugby 08?

budhabob wrote: »
    Any Update on this??

Nothing. Didn't see an update at all after that! Unless it was the team stats and tactics thing???
    Individual team identities were an important inclusion for us, with team tendencies, styles, and specialities lending real personality to each side. Teams are therefore defined not only with stats that determine their strengths and weaknesses but also with tactics that define the style of play, reflecting a combination of training, coaching, and match strategy. This means playing different teams is a different experience, beyond competing on the differences of stats alone and requiring an adjustment of tactics and play.

Teams Attributes
    Attack – 0 to 100 Scale
    Defence – 0 to 100 Scale
    Rucking – 0 to 100 Scale
    Mauling – 0 to 100 Scale
    Scrummaging – 0 to 100 Scale
    Lineouts – 0 to 100 Scale

Adjustable Team Tactics
    There are 9 running tactics sliders for each field area i.e. Defensive Zone, Mid Zone and Attack Zone and 6 kicking tactics sliders for a total of 33 sliders. Each slider effects how the team plays in a match. These sliders are:

Forwards - Pass or Drive
    Forwards – Take Contact or Offload
    Backs - Pass or Drive
    Backs – Take Contact or Offload
    Lineout Receiver Preference – Front, Middle or Back
    Ruck Win outcome – Pass or Pick and Go
    Lineout Win Outcome – Pass or Take Contact
    Scrum Win Outcome – Pass or Pick and Go
    Maul Win Outcome - Pass or Pick and Go

Kick Off – Short or Long
    Kick Off – Left or Right
    Drop out – Short or Long
    Drop Out – Left or Right
    Kick off – Touch or Territory
    Penalty Kicks – Touch or Goal

Adjusting these will adjust how often they perform each often in a given situation, increasing or decreasing the chance of the choice of the specific situational action in question.

All stats and tactics can be set for any custom team, and the same is editable for all teams that ship with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

I have been following both rugby games for a while, In my opinion RWC 11 isint crap like some people say but it is only bad compared to rugby challenge ( which looks really good )
    After playing the demo i think rwc 11 is fun and i cant wait to play online against friends on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

nathan99 wrote: »
    I have been following both rugby games for a while, In my opinion RWC 11 isint crap like some people say but it is only bad compared to rugby challenge ( which looks really good )
    After playing the demo i think rwc 11 is fun and i cant wait to play online against friends on it.

Its definitely fun, but its the exact same game as Rugby 2008. No matter what level you play it on, the faster your team, the better it'll be.

They didn't fix any of the bugs in the game either. You are almost 100% guaranteed to win the opposition lineout if you make your front jumper go up the second the opposition hooker twitches, for example.

There is no point in me buying it when, in Rugby 08, I have a near identicle game.

Its definitely fun, but its the exact same game as Rugby 2008. No matter what level you play it on, the faster your team, the better it'll be.

They didn't fix any of the bugs in the game either. You are almost 100% guaranteed to win the opposition lineout if you make your front jumper go up the second the opposition hooker twitches, for example.

There is no point in me buying it when, in Rugby 08, I have a near identicle game.

Actually I reckon Rugby 08 is better. More teams, more competitions. The only things lacking are slightly better graphics and better commentary. The mods for the PC version with the latest teams and kits put it ahead of RWC for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

played the demo last night, it's fun and will be fun in 2 player i'd say but i'm still disappointed with it. for all the hype and bs over on therugbyforum it's the exact same game as 08 with less teams, plus for some reason they 've made Nick Easter some sort of monster who can break three tackles and run the length of the pitch but Ashton can't step around a 2nd rower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Has the release date of Rugby Challenge in Ireland been confirmed?

Rugby 08..sorry I mean RWC looks like a waste of money. Only 1 way to win a game, and limited competitions. I hate comparing to a flawed, 15 year old game but thats what Lomu had going for it. You could win a world cup with england/NZ/SA etc playing sexy rugby but you could also play with Ivory Coast and grind you way to the world cup trophy. Not to mention THAT classic match with Japan v New Zealand. So much longevity in that game. You could play kicking rugby, run-it-from-everywhere rugby, one out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lads from what you've said there's no point buying RWC11 if you have Rugby 08, which I have already.

If you have the PC version of 08, you can get great mods on TheRugbyForum. I got the mod for last season's ML, it was brilliant. They will definitely have one for the upcoming world cup.

Lads from what you've said there's no point buying RWC11 if you have Rugby 08, which I have already.

If you have the PC version of 08, you can get great mods on TheRugbyForum. I got the mod for last season's ML, it was brilliant. They will definitely have one for the upcoming world cup.

Yeah the mods from TRF are class and give you so much more than RWC11 would appear to have. I can't see a huge market for the RWC11 given the slating it's been getting. Here's hoping that the market for RC is good enough to convince developers to put more time and effort into the rugby games.

• Advertisement

Yeah the mods from TRF are class and give you so much more than RWC11 would appear to have. I can't see a huge market for the RWC11 given the slating it's been getting. Here's hoping that the market for RC is good enough to convince developers to put more time and effort into the rugby games.

I think Mario (RC guy to those who dont know) has stated that 500,000sales is the figure required to look into making a sequal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    I think Mario (RC guy to those who dont know) has stated that 500,000sales is the figure required to look into making a sequal

I'll be one of those anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

Ive been playing the RWC demo for a few days now and its still a disapointment every game. Just seems to be a lazy development... as someone was saying earlier..you are looking at the players necks a lot. poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I really hope RC is good (I don't have a games console and will be getting one specifically, so it be!).

What I really hope though, is that it sells enough to justify a 2012 edition, and that in that edition we will see the home of (good) Irish rugby, the RDS!

It seems that the squads will be as of the end of the 2011 season. Will we all have to individually edit these if we want to? Or will there be some way to share the rosters...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I really hope RC is good (I don't have a games console and will be getting one specifically, so it be!).

What I really hope though, is that it sells enough to justify a 2012 edition, and that in that edition we will see the home of (good) Irish rugby, the RDS!

It seems that the squads will be as of the end of the 2011 season. Will we all have to individually edit these if we want to? Or will there be some way to share the rosters...?

Unfortunatly Sidhe have said that they will not be making a 2012 one, they will be in 2013 though.

And again, unfortunatly you cannot share rosters on the consoles, you can on pc though.

Unfortunately Sidhe have said that they will not be making a 2012 one, they will be in 2013 though.

And again, unfortunatly you cannot share rosters on the consoles, you can on pc though.

They've also announced now that their release date will be before Sept 30th rather than before the World Cup. They also confirmed that the game is designed to allow modding. So we could see some great updates to jerseys, squads etc over time just like Rugby08, but only on PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

From the RC Facebook page:
    Dear Rugby Challenge Fans,

We know there is some frustration and speculation on the release date for this title. We have invested an enormous amount of funds and effort in this title, and if we could have released it yesterday, we would have.

There are two general paths that can be taken when creating video games:

1) The release date and budget are set, and you work within these parameters to complete the game. The advantage is that everyone knows the release date. The drawback is that over a two year period it is easy to miscalculate your budget and time. This leads to a game that will likely fall short in features and quality; or
    2) There is an estimation made for the release date/budget, and work on the project commences. The drawback is there is no set release date however, this option allows you to continue working on the game until you are satisfied that the product is of the highest standard.

Tru Blu Entertainment Pty. Ltd. have chosen the latter path and make no apology for the choice, as we believe this is the only way to produce a quality game.

Our initial intention was to create a great game featuring the great Jonah Lomu and release upon completion. There was no plan made to release prior to or during the World Cup. We later found out that we had a competitor and the race was on to release before them. We must apologise to our fans as we will not make this deadline, but we can assure you that the wait will not be much longer.

We are still on track to release before the end of Quarter 3, which is no later than the 30th of September.

Please be patient. Soon you will have the pleasure of playing the best rugby game ever.

Yours Truly,
    Sebastian Giompaolo
    MD, Tru Blu Entertainment Pty. Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Unfortunatly Sidhe have said that they will not be making a 2012 one, they will be in 2013 though.

No you can share rosters on PS3, and possibly using 3rd party software for the 360.

• Advertisement

They've also announced now that their release date will be before Sept 30th rather than before the World Cup. They also confirmed that the game is designed to allow modding. So we could see some great updates to jerseys, squads etc over time just like Rugby08, but only on PC.

They only said they wont be able to get the game out before the HB game.
    They might yet get it out before the actual World Cup. will be interesting to see what mario says about it in the next day or too.

Advertisement