Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Brendan97 wrote: »
    do you have to pay for it

Have to is a strong way of putting it.... :pac:

Its the same as any game out there, you have to buy it in the shop or go the illegal route, which i dare not speak anymore of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Only 4 days to go until release now. Should keep me entertained until the real game comes out.

Where does it come out first? I heard gamestop were letting it out two days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

RWC gets a 5.0 from IGN. No surprise there.

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1189590p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭budhabob

Stev_o wrote: »
    RWC gets a 5.0 from IGN. No surprise there.

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1189590p1.html

I know the demo was pretty crap, I just kinda hoped that turning up the difficulty would make it better.

I had never played a rugby game before, so even though I recognised all its flaws, I still kind of enjoyed the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

budhabob wrote: »
    I know the demo was pretty crap, I just kinda hoped that turning up the difficulty would make it better.

I had never played a rugby game before, so even though I recognised all its flaws, I still kind of enjoyed the demo.
    I agree but it is just so stupid buying a crap game for €40+ when a much much better game is coming out roughly a few weeks later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

budhabob wrote: »

Your in a better position then other people, iv played all of HB's games stemming back to 2004. RWC is just a spin off from Rugby 2005. Just a game I can't play or get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Just spied this on Gamestop Irelands Fb.
    [QUOTE=Gamestop Ireland FB] Rugby World Cup 2011 Demo & developer Session Henry St Dublin

GameStop, 505 Games and HB Studios would like to invite you to meet Alastair Jarvis, General Manager of HB Studios on Friday, 26th August in GameStop Henry Street from 1-3pm.

Alastair will be in GameStop Henry Street to demonstrate Rugby World Cup 2011, the official game of Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand, answer any questions you have about the game and sign copies of the game.

Rugby World Cup 2011, the game will challenge players to pick from the 20 participating teams and attempt to lead their team through the pool phase, and progress to the Final with the opportunity to lift the prestigious Webb Ellis Cup. National rivalries, venues and player personalities are perfectly captured as participants will fight for the pride of their nation in either solo play or with up to three other players in local multiplayer matches. For the first time, HB Studios will also give players the chance to fight for the glory of their country online by challenging other players to one-on-one matches on Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network and PlayStation®Network.

Rugby World Cup 2011 will be available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system on August 26th 2011. For more information, please visit the official website at www.rwc2011game.com and facebook.com\rwc2011game

Attended by: Alastair Jarvis
    Studio Head, Lunenburg

In 2005 Alastair combined his passion for Rugby and interactive entertainment with a move back to Nova Scotia, arriving at HB Studios to become the producer of Rugby 2006. Alastair’s appointment as Studio Head in Lunenburg and then General Manager of HB Studios has reinforced his deep commitment and passion for making games in Nova Scotia.

[/QUOTE]

What with this demo and developer meet on release day and Gamestop Ireland managing to get the First Public hands on event for RC, Someone is doing a fantastic job at Gamestop Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

I wonder will people put him under pressure and ask him about RC and it looking so much better or why are the graphics so bad or why is it so much like an updated version of rugby08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Was really disapointed with the RWC demo, Played it 2 player easy as feck to score trys who ever got the ball from kickoff would win, Hoping Rugby Challenge is as good as it looks graphically

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Review from Clickonline.com (i.e. Me) of Rugby World Cup 2011

From the outset, it is easy to assume what is asked of players in Rugby World Cup 2011. Pick a nation and guide them through the difficult and pressure filled tournament. While players can participate in the tournament as it will play out in September, there is also the option to randomise pools to add some lifetime to the game. Along with the expected International Test matches and online capabilities, players can take part in a penalty shootout to practice their place kicking skills, or a warm-up tour of the Northern or Southern Hemisphere. There are three tours available in each with the last one locked until the first two are completed. You can’t take on the big boys of world rugby until after you’ve proven your worth.

Rugby World Cup 2011 is easy to pick up and play with some depth for those that want to expand their game some more. The basic controls come naturally and players are assisted by on-screen prompts that occasionally act as Quick Time Events at rucks and lineouts. For those looking for something extra to unlock defences, a number of set plays can be run from scrums, mauls and some rucks. All players will run their lines while players can simply tap the corresponding button to hit a runner with a pass. When it all flows perfectly, it is a beautiful sight to behold.

Those expecting a true to life simulation are going to be disappointed. Rugby World Cup 2011 is played at a frantic pace, and encourages and rewards running rugby. Players who are fond of the modern day aerial ping pong game have the chance to engage in it of course, but it is unlikely that the other side will be willing to participate. Rugby fans will feel the need to earn the space out wide, but this isn’t rewarded in game. It is possible to pick and drive and gain the hard yards through the forwards, but the ball doesn’t get recycled quickly enough to feel any real difference. It certainly is more of an arcade title, which does mean that it is very easy to pick up and play.

Rugby World Cup 2011 tries hard, but ultimately falls short in some areas. While the decision to incorporate two English speaking commentary teams should be commended, it may have been better to focus on one. For the most part, the commentary is quite generalised with comments about how “the team” or “the opposition” are doing. When more specific comments are made, they are often wrong. Notable comments include referring to the first pool game as the final and David Wallace being called Paddy Wallace.

Licences are a tough business; it’s always going to be difficult to get them all. Some would say that they are not important. However, when certain licenses allow for player likenesses and names to be included, everything should check out. There appear to be common player models with little separating the licensed players from the general masses. One other notable downfall is the player model of Stephen Ferris who looks nothing like his real life counterpart.

The game is fun for the most part, but there are times where both gamers and rugby fans will raise an eyebrow. Support runners seem to give up when an overlap is begging to be used, similar tactics or set plays can be used to unlock defences 99% of the time and the team that kicks an up-and-under will usually reclaim, even if it doesn’t look like the chasing player has jumped.

Set plays are implemented well for the most part. It is interesting to see them unfold and to be able to mix it up by passing to different runners, or throw off others in multiplayer by choosing to run or kick instead of running out a play. The usage of set plays becomes dangerous if a pass doesn’t go to hand, as players will continue on their lines rather than attempting to reclaim possession. Camera choice becomes crucial depending on your playstyle. Plays require the side camera in order to be able to see all the options and corresponding button to press. However, kicks to touch or drop goals require the end camera. Otherwise it becomes a guessing game.

As the game centres on the quest to win the World Cup, a bigger deal could be made of the tournament. Commentary will talk about night games rather than how the knockout phase is so important, the crowd doesn’t change and strangely, winning the tournament does not feature a trophy presentation. It feels like an anti-climax after seeing off the best teams in the world.

While there is room for improvement, Rugby World Cup 2011 has its moments of being dramatic, challenging and fun. Despite focusing on one major tournament, there is plenty of scope with the addition of extra modes and the ability to randomise pools. The penalty shootout option is a novelty and works brilliantly in multiplayer. The main draw of the game is likely to be the multiplayer element. Players can overcome some of the shortfalls in defence and have a tactical battle with a mix of set plays, straightforward running and kicking to the corners. Hopefully this is the start of a series that can build upon this experience and bring out a crunching tackle next year.

Rating: 3/5

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My Xbox copy of RWC shipped this afternoon. Could show up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Think i'll be renting RWC 2011 while i wait for Rugby Challenge. It's just so annoying with the lack of info for RC about the release dates and other game info. All this suspense better pay off. The only thing i can think of, is the delay could be due to the developers waiting to get the actuall world Cup squads into the game to have it right up to date.

Rugby challenge release date CONFIRMED!

New Zealand - Sept 2nd
    Australia + South Africa - sept 8th.
    Rest of world - unknown so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Rugby challenge release date CONFIRMED!

New Zealand - Sept 2nd
    Australia + South Africa - sept 8th.
    Rest of world - unknown so far
    well thats crap

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    well thats crap

Fingers crossed they are just delaying the announcement slightly, to allow the people distributing it in the EU to announce with them or summat.

so far today (their time) they have confirmed the North america Xbox distributer.
    Released a videos and screens of lomu behind the scenes.
    confirmed that it will be on steam
    and started announcing release dates as short as 10 days in advance of release.

So they fingers crossed there is more to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

They have had that date there for a while. Think its just an educated guess.

Aye, any dates on american, european, uk or irish sites are just placeholder dates and not the official date. there is no official date for us yet. which sucks majorily.
    They said on FB that they are awaiting a specific date for the uk. ill go find the quote...
    Rugby Challenge Official Game We are still working on establishing a specific European release date at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Because nearly all new games come out in Europe on a Friday (Because of distribution) i'd say it'll either be the 9th or the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

i reckon the 9th was placed there on sites as a place holder as the wc kicks off that day!originaly this was pencilled in for end of sept release at best wasnt it ?obviously they pulled that forward a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

geotrig wrote: »
    i reckon the 9th was placed there on sites as a place holder as the wc kicks off that day!originaly this was pencilled in for end of sept release at best wasnt it ?obviously they pulled that forward a bit

At worst, actually, I believe. Definitely a while back they said they would release by September 30th, which wouldn't preclude before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

cython wrote: »
    At worst, actually, I believe. Definitely a while back they said they would release by September 30th, which wouldn't preclude before.

How many times do you say you'd win the world cup in RWC by then ???.

Seems so easy you could probly win it on first try lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

cython wrote: »
    geotrig wrote: »

The reason September 30th came up is because the game was stated to be out in quarter 3 of 2011, which ends September 30th. Therefore it was used as a provisional date.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How many times do you say you'd win the world cup in RWC by then ???.

Seems so easy you could probly win it on first try lol

I did with Ireland.....Everyone raised their game when I played as NZ though. Lost to France in pools and then out in Semis to Wales!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

tolosenc wrote: »
    My Xbox copy of RWC shipped this afternoon. Could show up in the morning.

Any sign of RWC then?

edit
    Just got mine in the post. The unlock code for unlocking Online Gameplay and Authentic Kits is
    (Xboxlive)
    3edcvfr47ujmnhy6

Going off to play it now. Btw if anyone wants to set up a boards league go ahead. I'm not that xbox savvy just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Oh lord.

Flannery, Buckley, Boss, Murphy, Murray and Ryan are in the WC squad but not in the game. And Ferris is black, apparently.

Waste of money, do not buy.

Oh lord.

Flannery, Buckley, Boss, Murphy, Murray and Ryan are in the WC squad but not in the game. And Ferris is black, apparently.

Waste of money, do not buy.

They were releasing early and it is possible to edit (stats and names - not appearance) so squad errors are....somewhat....understandable. Somewhat...

Ferris is black - really wierd. Kinda funny. HOWEVER, Ireland were one of the teams that they had license for - i.e. player likenesses. HOW did they get that wrong?!

Keeping the fingers crossed for Rugby Challenge!

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I know I shouldnt buy it cause its going to be atrocious but i just want a rugby game to play! I dont wana wait a couple weeks for RC. Does anyone know if the B&M stores will break the release date tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Ferris is black, apparently.

Haha, no way! I wan't a screen shot of that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Havent really researched it, so sorry if its already been said, but what licences does Rugby Challenge have? Ie what teams and what competitions?

Advertisement