Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog whisperer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

caseyann wrote: »
    What does that mean and whats it in relation to? Are you calling my parents irresponsible? Or are you calling me irresponsible for being six and being able to walk a full sized GSD ?

Yes, because the law states that any dog on the Restricted breed list must be walked by someone over the age of 16, so yes, your parents would be irresponsible of they did this and also breaking this law.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Why do people insist on preaching at others all the time.
    Believe what you want i didnt ask you if he was right or wrong neither did OP.
    The thread was about who likes the dog whisper.
    I grew up with dogs all my life and i dont need yous telling me what to do.
    I like the dog whisperer and all the ranting and raving isnt going to change that.
    I know more about dogs than majority of yous and i have lived with dogs all my life in huge amounts and been training them since i was 4 years old.:D
    I started walking my first GSD when i was 6 alone.I know everything i need to know about dogs.
    And even ceaser says he is not a dog trainer and not to try at home any methods.Humans are the ons who need training not dogs.He is right.

I fail to see what this has to do with anything? I've grown up with dogs as well, I became a qualified dog trainer at sixteen years old, but there's no way in hell I'd claim that I know more about dogs than anyone else. Especially not the majority of people here. That's simply just not possible. And I'm sorry to offend, but anyone who lets a six year old walk a fully grown dog alone, no matter what the breed, is irresponsible. Simple as.

I just cannot like a man who has to be instil fear in dogs and force them into submission just so he looks good. Dogs are not wolves, and dogs are not humans. They are a species on their own and its best that we treat them like this instead of using such outdated methods. And I've seen the strangling episode; it is horrific. If i had been that dog's owner, there's no way I would have stood back and let him treat my dog like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

And even ceaser says he is not a dog trainer and not to try at home any methods.Humans are the ons who need training not dogs.He is right.

So if he isn't a trainer & people cannot practice his methods then he just becomes a showman who abuses animals - he should really be in a Circus :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

andreac wrote: »
    Yes, because the law states that any dog on the Restricted breed list must be walked by someone over the age of 16, so yes, your parents would be irresponsible of they did this and also breaking this law.

High and mighty attitude.My parents are the best parents anyone could ask for.
    And those dogs were in better hands with me then anyone else on planet and i am that confident to say that.
    I controlled 6 dogs by the time i was 9 and i walked Guard dogs and trained them by the time i was 14.
    It wasnt breaking the law as there was no law.And you no nothing about kids and dogs who have that special bond with dogs.

Shanao wrote: »
    I fail to see what this has to do with anything? I've grown up with dogs as well, I became a qualified dog trainer at sixteen years old, but there's no way in hell I'd claim that I know more about dogs than anyone else. Especially not the majority of people here. That's simply just not possible. And I'm sorry to offend, but anyone who lets a six year old walk a fully grown dog alone, no matter what the breed, is irresponsible. Simple as.

I just cannot like a man who has to be instil fear in dogs and force them into submission just so he looks good. Dogs are not wolves, and dogs are not humans. They are a species on their own and its best that we treat them like this instead of using such outdated methods. And I've seen the strangling episode; it is horrific. If i had been that dog's owner, there's no way I would have stood back and let him treat my dog like that.

I have never once seen him instill fear in any dog not a single time.
    He gives them time to calm down and get used to him and feel his energy he isnt there to harm.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    So if he isn't a trainer & people cannot practice his methods then he just becomes a showman who abuses animals - he should really be in a Circus :rolleyes:

He helps dogs calm down and become relaxed and lose their fears.

High and mighty attitude.My parents are the best parents anyone could ask for.
    And those dogs were in better hands with me then anyone else on planet and i am that confident to say that.
    I controlled 6 dogs by the time i was 9 and i walked Guard dogs and trained them by the time i was 14.
    It wasnt breaking the law as there was no law.And you no nothing about kids and dogs who have that special bond with dogs.

Ha ha, high and mighty, me? How is stating facts high and mighty?? Pot calling kettle black i think.:rolleyes: Think you and Cesar would make a great team by sounds of it.

He helps dogs calm down and become relaxed and lose their fears.

By kicking, choking, strangling and dominating them:confused:. They arent relaxed, far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What does that mean and whats it in relation to? Are you calling my parents irresponsible? Or are you calling me irresponsible for being six and being able to walk a full sized GSD ?

What do you mean, whats it in relation to, you posted it, so I'm commenting on it. I'm saying that I would not let a 6 year old walk a dog of any size on their own. In my opinion it is dangerous for both the dog and the child it is also illegal to allow anybody under the age of 16 to walk a dog on the RB list.

ISDW wrote: »
    What do you mean, whats it in relation to, you posted it, so I'm commenting on it. I'm saying that I would not let a 6 year old walk a dog of any size on their own. In my opinion it is dangerous for both the dog and the child it is also illegal to allow anybody under the age of 16 to walk a dog on the RB list.

Good for you! where did i write i would let a kid walk a dog at six alone? I happen to be a special case and had dogs all my life and was strong and confident enough to walk them and not afraid of any dog.I had packs of dogs come up to me when walking our dogs and others and never had an altercation or any problems controlling them.
    They werent on any restricted breed list either.
    You dont know so dont comment on it.

• Advertisement

**Vai** wrote: »
    Jaysus lads are ye still going on about this. Stop watching tv, read The Dogs Mind by Bruce Fogle and away ye go.

That book was written in 1990 & is pretty outdated. Most of his "research" was conducted even earlier. From what I remember he didn't compare his work with anyone else or mention opposing research.

Shaun Ellis revealed more about Wolf behaviour in a few years than had been learnt for decades. He has shown that most of what was accepted is totally wrong. So in treating dogs as "domesticated Wolves" we are way off the mark.

A behaviourist at a local Vet still used the word Wolves in her trading name - people are slow to learn.

Good for you! where did i write i would let a kid walk a dog at six alone? I happen to be a special case and had dogs all my life and was strong and confident enough to walk them and not afraid of any dog.I had packs of dogs come up to me when walking our dogs and others and never had an altercation or any problems controlling them.

Where are there packs of dogs coming up on the streets?? Ive never come across packs of dogs wandering the streets anywhere, maybe one of 2 dogs but ive never seen packs of dogs roaming the streets of ireland anywhere in all my life and i have a lot of experience with dogs and been around them all my life too.
    A 6 year old would not have the strenght to hold a GS if they wanted to pull you, they are between 40-50 kg so if a dog wanted to go, no amount of training and experience at 6 years of age would hold a dog back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

That book was written in 1990 & is pretty outdated. Most of his "research" was conducted even earlier. From what I remember he didn't compare his work with anyone else or mention opposing research.

Shaun Ellis revealed more about Wolf behaviour in a few years than had been learnt for decades. He has shown that most of what was accepted is totally wrong. So in treating dogs as "domesticated Wolves" we are way off the mark.

A behaviourist at a local Vet still used the word Wolves in her trading name - people are slow to learn.

Yeah I realise but its better than watching tv to get your training methods. Ive read the Shaun Ellis books as well. And the Cesar Millan books, to name but a few. To me its more of a learning experience than a competition, which is what this thread turned into a few pages back.

Unsubstantiated accusations and ridiculous arguments about what someone shouldnt have done when they were 6 does not a good thread make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Actually whats disturbing in this thread is that people who simply hate the guy cannot accept that he has done any good or that people who watch his show do not have the intelligence to determine what is applicable to them and what is not appropriate.

All i see here and in any other threads about CM is hate, jealousy and resentment. For the people who enjoy his show this is not the place to discuss him or his methods.

A well exercised and stimulated dog will always make a happy dog. There are other methods which work. If your dog has problems seek professional advice.

The problem is that most people won't know the good from the bad & the bad can have very serious consequences. I know of one behaviourist who would like to prosecute CM for incitement to commit cruelty. All "gurus" have their detractors but CM is in a league of his own.

He comes from a dark age based on primitive outdated research. One of the links that Peasant has posted explains that the "roll" has nothing to do with dominance. Maybe someone like Shaun Ellis could let CM try his techniques on a real Wolf pack - I would pay to see that !

I think that you are being a little unfair Bullseye in that many people who object to CM's methods have clearly explained why. Of course a dog needs exercise & stimulation - surely we don't need CM to tell us that. But when a show goes out to millions of viewers many will adopt his methods.

He should really emphasise that he will show you what he can do to a dog or with a dog rather than professing it as a training method. Anyone who trains knows that it is about 20% training the dog & 80% training the owner. The one aspect that I liked with Dog's Borstal was that the trainers always focused on training the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUegRGo0kw

This is the video of Cesar Millan choking the dog
    It is disgusting

Yes he advocates exercise etc. etc for dogs but I think that he is a total bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

I'm a victoria stillwell man myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

And notice he begins this "training exercise" with the dog wearing a prong collar.

Yes he removes it eventually, this should have been done immediately. Training a dog to walk on a lead and using a prong collar is counter productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

This forum and some of its posters are an absolute joke when it comes to what they define as "cruelty"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    This forum and some of its posters are an absolute joke when it comes to what they define as "cruelty"

Ah, Mr Wolfe Tone, well known for coming on, throwing in a remark like that and then disappearing again, how very grown up :D.

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Unnecessary suffering is the legal definition which sounds pretty good to me. Clearly some people do consider cruelty as a joke.

The first minute or so of the video highlights so many issues. Even the two passers by seem amazed at CM's dog hanging & total lack of control. He mentions "Wolf" :rolleyes: within a minute. Then he puts a lead on using the handle as a noose !.

I was longing for the dog to say feck you & bite him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

All of my three get a nice cuddle - they wait in turn. It's their reward for letting me lie in :D. I am happy to let them express their joy that I am up & that breakfast is on it's way. Right now all three are on their bed patiently waiting for a walk. If they think that I have forgotten them my eldest dog (is she delegated the job :)) will come over & remind me.
    QUOTE]

My four get a cuddle too :) But I don't make a huge fuss over them or they get too excitable :D Later on when I'm playing with them they get more of a fuss. And mine don't let me lie in, cos one is on a diet so she barks early for breakfast so I'm way too tired to give her much attention in the morning :D

EGAR wrote: »
    Ah, Mr Wolfe Tone, well known for coming on, throwing in a remark like that and then disappearing again, how very grown up :D.

He hasn't gone away :D. WT are you provisional animal welfare or continuity animal welfare ;) ?

EGAR wrote: »
    I lurk a lot.

Definition of lurk courtesy of websters:

"intransitive verb
    a : to lie in wait in a place of concealment especially for an evil purpose"

:eek: he must be the Irish National (Animal) Liberation Army :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Good for you! where did i write i would let a kid walk a dog at six alone? , and was strong and confident enough to walk them and not afraid of any dog.I had packs of dogs come up to me when walking our dogs and others and never had an altercation or any problems controlling them.

Wow! Ive had dogs for over 30 years now and I've just had to let my terrier off lead and let her run off. I only took her outside the gate for a pee and and had a dog charge at her, I neither saw nor heard it, a car went past and the dog was giving chase, no idea who owns it or where it came from but it just pounced on her, bowled her over and both dogs got tangled up in the lead, the only other choice was to let somebody break a limb. She only goes out on extension lead to the toilet but I see now why they aren't recommended, perhaps it's time to try to encourage her to go inside the gate or on a short lead. That's something I've just learned today or would you reccommend something else in your expert opinion?

It's amazing that you were able to do all that including knowing how to deal with any stray that might potentially be child agressive, dog agressive or any other sort of agressive at only 6 years old having had dogs all your life (which only amounts to about 3 years realistically). Have you thought about contacting RTE about getting your own show? It sounds like we could all learn so much from you it would be a shame to waste your amazing talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Why do people insist on preaching at others all the time.
    Believe what you want i didnt ask you if he was right or wrong neither did OP.
    The thread was about who likes the dog whisper.
    I grew up with dogs all my life and i dont need yous telling me what to do.
    I like the dog whisperer and all the ranting and raving isnt going to change that.
    I know more about dogs than majority of yous and i have lived with dogs all my life in huge amounts and been training them since i was 4 years old.:D
    I started walking my first GSD when i was 6 alone.I know everything i need to know about dogs.

How did this become all about you? I don't know what?:confused: You're not making much sense to me, but maybe this is how you think dogs should be trained, bullying tactics? Total disrespect for anyone else's opinion?

You're a special case? Such arrogance is astounding.

Groom! wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUegRGo0kw

This is the video of Cesar Millan choking the dog
    It is disgusting

Yes he advocates exercise etc. etc for dogs but I think that he is a total bully.

Thanks for posting that, the one i posted was removed and thats the exact video i was looking for.
    Now all you Cesar lovers, please tell me how that isnt cruel??:mad:

Definition of lurk courtesy of websters:

"intransitive verb
    a : to lie in wait in a place of concealment especially for an evil purpose"

:eek: he must be the Irish National (Animal) Liberation Army :eek:
    Try harder, that want even funny.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that, the one i posted was removed and thats the exact video i was looking for.
    Now all you Cesar lovers, please tell me how that isnt cruel??:mad:

Im not a dog whisperer lover but you can look at that video in 2 ways . A man choking a dog , or a dog attacking a man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement