Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Muckit wrote: »
    I think Bizzum bet you to it :)

First to 3000 gets a choc-ice:D

kboc wrote: »
    Is that Annagassan or Clogherhead?

I think they are the cooley and south armagh mountains in the background.

Spot on kboc. Clogherhead looking north.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

@reilig
    That commander calf is a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭stanflt

weather

003mwa.jpg
    By stanflt at 2012-06-08004ucaf.jpg
    By stanflt at 2012-06-08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

stanflt wrote: »
    weather

Good for ducks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

similar here, unreal today! hopefully its going to stop soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan1 wrote: »
    similar here, unreal today! hopefully its going to stop soon

More Photos soon? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭stanflt

had the herds competition this week-had the results last night-great night with great food and a very funny comedian-

won a few prices also!!!!!010gl.jpg
    By stanflt at 2012-06-09009pmt.jpg
    By stanflt at 2012-06-09

Congrats Stanfit. Well deserved I'm sure ;)

Couldn't wait any longer...Cut for bales today @3.30pm. Baling monday. Couldn't believe how dry it was after two days of solid rain. Boots were bone dry having walked it. That's dust not damp coming off it. Could you believe it?

p6090280.jpg

p6090284.jpg

p6090285.jpg

p6090287.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Fair play muckit, i'd say these next few days might be the best we get for a couple of weeks . Good looking stuff too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

@Muckit
    It looks real clean, is it a reseed or did you spray?
    We have alot of docks

Lovely crop of grass Muckit and some grand trees in the background!

This wet weather has shown up meadow for what it is. It ain't so easy to topple the dock :rolleyes:

That meadow is as clean as it looks and a heavy crop. It was reseeded Oct2010 and sprayed off with roundup before powerharrowing. The aftergrass will get a spot spray as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

There's massive drying alright, I cut the lawn friday night in my runners and they were bone dry after.

there was still lochs of water in the potato drills.

hope it holds good for you, fine crop of grass too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

Blue bull calf by DEP not as good as he should be bit disappointed by him 2months old
    1000303c.jpg
    1000304x.jpg
    Heifer calf by fl21 good muscle to her but pity shes not a bit taller 3months old
    1000305t.jpg
    Charolais bull calf by DEZ good calf nice style to him i think anyway born round feb/mar
    1000307q.jpg
    1000308n.jpg

Not strictly ag, but I couldn't wait any longer :D

The small one was about the size of a hens egg :)

image_1-4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

2012-06-11150756.jpg
    Our harvesting outfit on its first day out

I'm catching up fast with the spuds!!!

They're only in four weeks, but were chitting so long they were nearly grown in the box.

vegfence.jpg

The fence is a feeble attempt to keep out our furry little friends. gonna put a row of rocks all the way round, inside and out in the hope of keeping them at bay.

Really, really need to set the lawn all round too. some grazing might placate the feckers.

I put a bit of tomato feed on mine once a week, also if you pinch off the flowers of earlies they're supposed to crop better.

Next year I'll do ridges, I wasn't happy with the drills.

Going hunting for a few more today :D But I'll have to stop then because I want to give them a while longer to grow or I'll have them all eaten :o

The soil wasnt tilled deep enough really for my ridges and we didnt set the seed low enough I fear, still though, a bit of craic with the kids, and should hopefully make them a bit more adventerous in their eating habits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

JohnBoy wrote: »
    The soil wasnt tilled deep enough really for my ridges and we didnt set the seed low enough I fear, still though, a bit of craic with the kids, and should hopefully make them a bit more adventerous in their eating habits

With real butter..........

Dug two tops of each variety of early I planted. I'll leave them another while now, the first lot (the variety I sampled last night) are still a bit small, the others not so much! That's a No. 7 Opinel for scale.

Not sure what the craic is with the dark coloured spuds? Are they the seed spuds? I was told the seed spuds were meant to waste away and not be there come harvest but that might not be right?

image_2-2.jpg

image_1-5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

at my silage today, really heavy crop

johngalway wrote: »
    Not sure what the craic is with the dark coloured spuds? Are they the seed spuds? I was told the seed spuds were meant to waste away and not be there come harvest but that might not be right?

They are the seed alright. They often wither away but can be seen in earlies. Cut them in two and the core could be hollow.

What varities are they?

limo_100 wrote: »
    Blue bull calf by DEP not as good as he should be bit disappointed by him 2months old

Is milk in the dam an issue?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Is milk in the dam an issue?

no she's normally fairly good but id say she's lacking this she was quite poorly before calving this year and she's getting it hard to pick up. I will have to get the creep feeder up to them should help him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

limo_100 wrote: »
    no she's normally fairly good but id say she's lacking this she was quite poorly before calving this year and she's getting it hard to pick up. I will have to get the creep feeder up to them should help him

hi limo,

i gave DEP to a cow this morning and id have used something else if i had seen your picture first!

Bodacious wrote: »
    hi limo,

i gave DEP to a cow this morning and id have used something else if i had seen your picture first!

I also used DEP on sunday. I had another cow with a DEP heifer calf probably the best calf born calf I seen in years unfortunlty she had a week navel and her insides came out when she got up and the vets put her down it was a real pity. Also I think his cow is far more suited to a charolais bull as shes breed some of our best calves over the years.

What other blues you using this year bod??

Bizzum wrote: »
    They are the seed alright. They often wither away but can be seen in earlies. Cut them in two and the core could be hollow.

What varities are they?

They are Aran Pilot and Pentland Javelin, but I'm not sure which is which right now. I wrote it down on my old phone, just need to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

johngalway wrote: »
    Dug two tops of each variety of early I planted. I'll leave them another while now, the first lot (the variety I sampled last night) are still a bit small, the others not so much! That's a No. 7 Opinel for scale.

I must be one of few on this thread to dislike spuds:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement