Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Second tractor looks like it has a bonnet off a 6 series tractor but I thaught that the 675 was the smallest in that range. Which got stuck first.

Bigger timbers would have been a help and I would prefer to go forward. Neither of them are that heavy a good strong fella would lift them out like Sylvest.

Second tractor has a bonnet of a superdexta I think he said. The tractor in the top photo, on the right in the second photo got stuck first. That was all the timber we had to hand, it's a remote spot, in 48 years of farming he'd never got a tractor stuck anywhere.

Forward, maybe with a towing tractor, but not with timbers, the soft spot seems to extend forward, of both tractors now actually. I can't see how I'd have tied on timbers for a plan of going forward, she was sunk to the under body and we didn't have a spade until later.

What would have been handy would have been a winch and good cable, there's a big rock behind the first tractor out of the pictures, might have done the trick. Remember seeing a big balloon and pump set up before for lifting machines up out of soft spots.

They'll be there until Friday anyway if you fancy lifting either yourself :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

just do it wrote: »
    Where did you source the heifers? Your own or bought in? What breeding is in the blacks? I was hoping to source LMxBritFR from dairy lads but the ones I've been going to source off have switched to FR bulls in anticipation of 2015.

they were bought in as suck calves, all off brfr. there's one lm fl27, rest are hex and aax. we are in dairy country so no prob sourcing calves. easy calving part bull next year and hopefully get some good enough calves. Prob won't be great calves but might be good enough, we'll see. i'll know by the end of the year how the part calves off AAx turn out.

Got one out. Jacked up the front, put planks under the front wheels. Put fleeces at the back of the rear wheels which were of mixed help. Had to push a lot and dig a bit.

tractor4.jpg

Second one is still stuck but moved it's own length when planks were tied to each rear wheel. Hit a problem when 5 out of the 6 planks we had got jammed up in a big X under the body of the tractor. A few attempts and a lot of dodgy jacking on the rear had them out. Then we tried a large boat winch on the two biggest rocks around, ho-hum both moved. Tomorrows plan is more planking I think.

tractor5.jpg

tractor6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Around us we have a term for getting stuck (Can even be applied to the "act" with a woman;))

Anyway it's : "Gone to the makers name"

And you very nearly were:D

There was a bit of banter today I mentioned something along the lines of "not speaking ill of the dead", I don't think it was liked :D

• Advertisement

:D 6 ton machine solved that problem. Didn't take any photos as it was raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

FL22 HEIFER yearling

0CB0F988.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bodacious wrote: »
    FL22 HEIFER yearling

0CB0F988.jpg
    What is she like temperament wise? I've a few fl22 calves that are live wires!

just do it wrote: »
    FL22 HEIFER yearling

0CB0F988.jpg
    What is she like temperament wise? I've a few fl22 calves that are live wires!

Not bad at all, I sold a better one as she was a screw loose ... She'd go under other cattle in the crush and everything !

Have a pure runt this year though out of fl22 and a chxaa cow worst calf I've ever had, pure rabbit of a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Nice animal, what is that thing behind her?

• Advertisement

Not bad at all, I sold a better one as she was a screw loose ... She'd go under other cattle in the crush and everything !

Have a pure runt this year though out of fl22 and a chxaa cow worst calf I've ever had, pure rabbit of a thing

Fine heifer. whats that behind her?

johnpawl wrote: »

Fine heifer. whats that behind her?

It's a cattle scratcher.. Just a tall standing stone

It's a cattle scratcher.. Just a tall standing stone

thoguht it might be an ogham stone or something

johnpawl wrote: »
    thoguht it might be an ogham stone or something

It could be an ogham stone! there are 5 of them in total, over 200 years old.. tourist are wild interested in them but we just call them the cattle scratchers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=69143
    came across this earlier, great video, hard to believe they got it out

:D:D

DA9D9F89.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

both are 2 months old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

:D:D

DA9D9F89.jpg

Good one, took me a while to spot it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Took a spin to the east coast one of the fine days a couple of weeks back and spotted these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

December born pedigree Limousin Bull off Sauvignon. Dam is a Pelletstown heifer. No meal yet, but will probably wean him in 4 weeks and feed him ad lib after that.

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13026

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13027

April born BB Bull of a good milking CH cow and SFL. He was tiny when he was born but really took off after 3 weeks.

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13029

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13028

December BB heifer off SFL and red Limousin Cow.

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13030

Early may BB heifer off Black Limousin Cow

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13031

3 week old BB Bull off SFL and red limousin cow. Again, was small when calved, but has developed end muscle in the last week.

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13033

Pedigree Limousin Bull off Ampertaine Comander and a Neuf Cow. Has a SBV of €120, and great stats. Should be for a sale in the future. Born May 20th.

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13034

picture.php?albumid=2143&pictureid=13032

EDIT: Glad to see that I have the 2,000th post on this thread :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hi Reilig. Fair play for posting pics of your stock. I can't see them right though with my browser, they seem big, perhaps it's just on my computer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Top quality stock Relig.

Are you calving both autumn and spring?
    Do you think the brown BB will sell well? (top animal but wondering will colour come against him)??
    Will you sell the pedigree lim bulls for breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

sfl's are great sucks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Top quality stock Relig.

Are you calving both autumn and spring?
    Do you think the brown BB will sell well? (top animal but wondering will colour come against him)??
    Will you sell the pedigree lim bulls for breeding?

Calving Autumn and Spring. Approx 20 between October and December and 40 from Feb to May. Its pretty spread out, but suits our system and the land type. We keep the late born calves until the following feb to sell them.

The brown BB will probably be kept for breeding. I have her full sister already and she breeds lovely off a Lim bull.

Would hope to sell the Pedigree Lims for breeding. The Ampertaine Commander Bull has great scores, and I have already got someone interested in him based on the last bull that I sold.

The Sauvignon Bull (Big guy in the pics) has got good milk and good docility scores. However, he has only got a SBV of €45 and his carcus scores are pretty low. This might be off putting for a potential buyer. But it is only due to the fact that Sauvignon has so few offspring on the ground yet and there is so little stats from him. But i really think that he is going to make a fine bull. Then again, every man thinks that his own stock is great - its only when you bring them out to a sale that you see its true value.
    I also have another sauvignon bull calf 3 weeks old and he is a fine animal.

Either way, I have 3 pedigree bulls. I'm not going to make a fortune on any of them. I'll feed them till they are 14 months. Within that time I will make a decision to either sell them for breeding or sell them off as bull beef (and get the registration fees back for them). I'm not going be massively wealthy from them but hopefully I will at least break even. Pedigrees are a hobby for myself and the OH and hopefully in the future, the kids will get a bit of enjoyment from them at shows and sales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    Glad to see that I have the 2,000th post on this thread :):):)

I think Bizzum bet you to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Lovely cattle reilig :)

<----Made it to the magical 100 post count :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

leg wax wrote: »
    sfl's are great sucks,

Seems to be doing the business. Best easy calving blue since EDJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Bizzum wrote: »
    Took a spin to the east coast one of the fine days a couple of weeks back and spotted these.

Is that Annagassan or Clogherhead?

I think they are the cooley and south armagh mountains in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

have you lads been using sfl for long? i've a few coming up, one dwarf doublemuscle heifer and a three more, one plain, one nice and one topclass but none of them weighing anything like they should be.
    has anyone kept sfl heifer for breeding?
    have few bulls too.... also weighing nothing compared to same age calves off stock bull or other ai's.
    will try to get OH to put up pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

by the way, lovely stuff relig. if producing purebreds like that little fella doesn't leave a few quid to you there's no hope at all for the likes of the likes of me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement