Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

is that spotty one the calf from ploughing?
    thats her alright:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Legs,
    Super weanlings there. Fair play!
    What AI bulls were doing the business for you out of that bunch, STQ ?
    Were most of them from Blonde cows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

leg wax wrote: »
    no they are going to carnew mart.

There was a special export sale in Elphin last week. There was huge demand for quality blues and exceptional prices paid!! If demand in carnew is as good, you'll come home a happy man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lovely cattle Legwax! You should sort out those jackdaws though, they must get annoying!!

(johngalway, won't eat you, just bite a little:p)

Second calving heifer, looking a bit daft as the cat was in the field.

diamondoa.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And just because it's raining and miserable- our new mouser & mum.

dsc0194b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    Legs,
    Super weanlings there. Fair play!
    What AI bulls were doing the business for you out of that bunch, STQ ?
    Were most of them from Blonde cows?
    stq all the way for me i bought 200 straws of him.yes most are off blonde cows.the bull at 2,43 on video is the tiny calf that was born to the big blonde cow that i put up at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

stq all the way for me i bought 200 straws of him.yes most are off blonde cows.the bull at 2,43 on video is the tiny calf that was born to the big blonde cow that i put up at the time.

Serious quality cattle, fair play. Is it mainly blonde cows you have those calves out of?

johnpawl wrote: »
    Serious quality cattle, fair play. Is it mainly blonde cows you have those calves out of?
    yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

yes

you must give us a look at that cbq calf you mentioned earlier....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

cattle that are going on sat.
    Gr8 cattle there leg wax. I see now what you were saying about mine a few weeks back. Did you post weight gain of these a few months back? I recall being well impressed at the time.

It will be interesting to compare prices in a few weeks time when I've also sold mine. Thanks for tip off about ennis mart by the way. After talking to a few lads it appears there's a better trade for BB's in sixmilebridge.

Is there anything you do with these pre-sale? The advice I'm getting is WEP is dead in the water - no better price having it.

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    ... Thanks for tip off about ennis mart by the way. After talking to a few lads it appears there's a better trade for BB's in sixmilebridge......
    I am surprised at that. Both marts are very near one another so why would sixmilebridge be any better. Is it something to do with the saturday sale, I wonder?

just do it wrote: »
    Gr8 cattle there leg wax. I see now what you were saying about mine a few weeks back. Did you post weight gain of these a few months back? I recall being well impressed at the time.

It will be interesting to compare prices in a few weeks time when I've also sold mine. Thanks for tip off about ennis mart by the way. After talking to a few lads it appears there's a better trade for BB's in sixmilebridge.

Is there anything you do with these pre-sale? The advice I'm getting is WEP is dead in the water - no better price having it.
    getting me mixed up i think with someone else i think,:confused:,weight gain as much as possible:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

johnpawl wrote: »

Just wondering Legwax if you found STQ hard calved or not? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

I am surprised at that. Both marts are very near one another so why would sixmilebridge be any better. Is it something to do with the saturday sale, I wonder?

i'd say mitchell in sixmilebridge buying blues for tlt but probably not in ennis. when he is keen it makes all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

i'd say mitchell in sixmilebridge buying blues for tlt but probably not in ennis. when he is keen it makes all the difference
    Yes, he's the man that's making the difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

And I wonder why he doesn't buy in Ennis :rolleyes:

LOL:P

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

easy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

A few more photos of calves.
    054-1.jpg
    052-1.jpg
    Above is a heifer from a limX cow after our old stock bull
    068.jpg
    067.jpg
    A bull from another lim X a first calver also after old stock bull
    057.jpg
    056.jpg
    066-1.jpg
    Pedigree bull calf. 11 weeks old after Important de la Hasse. Recipient mother behind him in the photo
    064.jpg
    The new boss man in the field
    065.jpg
    Blue heifer off a blonde X Lim first calver
    058.jpg
    Another heifer off a Blonde X lim 061.jpg
    One of the best calves of the batch but my photography is selling him short
    062.jpg
    Another one off a blonde X lim with a very bad photographer.

Kovu Murr wrote: »

LOL:P
    Sounds like you know what I know Karen :)

• Advertisement

Let us in on the joke?

Let us in on the joke?
    Not on a public forum I'm afraid!! Reilig will be following me with the banstick.

Not on a public forum I'm afraid!! Reilig will be following me with the banstick.

Never mind Reilig, Rovi was on you before you even thought of posting it.:D

Let us in on the joke?
    Not so funny when you know a lot of people who have shares in a certain mart.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Meanwhile back to the photos.... Savage animals Junior. Putting it up to Legwax there big time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Furze that I sprayed last year with Grazon 90: (I did miss a little one as you can see)...

20120617_124032small.jpg

20120617_124055small.jpg

20120617_124110small.jpg

20120617_124119small.jpg

20120617_124218small.jpg

Furze that I sprayed this year, about a month ago now I guess, these got 5.5 - 6 hours of heavy drizzle right after I finished spraying that day :rolleyes: They're well on the way to the next world though.

20120617_124229small.jpg

20120617_124149small.jpg

20120617_124135small.jpg

And some rushes I've sprayed with Mortone, just cos I love killing rushes...

20120617_130109small.jpg

Muckit wrote: »

Meanwhile back to the photos.... Savage animals Junior. Putting it up to Legwax there big time ;)

No I know my stock Muckit and I saw Leg wax stock in the sale yesterday. Leg wax beats me comprehensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Do you have to deal with the timber in the furze bushes after they have died john ? Or will it rot away by itself . You got a great kill with it , I must get the father a litre and and send him off with the knapsack for a couple of days :D

Muckit wrote: »

No I know my stock Muckit and I saw Leg wax stock in the sale yesterday. Leg wax beats me comprehensively.
    great looking heifer junior and she's growthy as a bonus, whats the stock bull by.and legs beats nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

moy83 wrote: »
    Do you have to deal with the timber in the furze bushes after they have died john ? Or will it rot away by itself . You got a great kill with it , I must get the father a litre and and send him off with the knapsack for a couple of days :D

Joyces in Recess have it for €49 if you're out that way, Magenta is a little cheaper (€46 + postage) but not enough for me to not buy local.

The furze in the photos I'll just let die away. I suppose you could take the scythe to them or something :D

I spent a Winter reading up on them and there's two lines of thought on burning after spraying:

1. Spray, wait 18 months/two years then burn. You'll have to spray again as the seeds under the plant will germinate and you'll have new and more furze coming back up. They reckon though that tactic helps kill off a lot of the seed bank that's built up under the furze.

2. Spray and let them die away naturally. To be honest that's what I'm doing. What I have read tells me that the first option 1 above will see a person treating re-infestations for half the time that option 2 will take (15 versus 30 years was mentioned).

I just can't bring myself to burn what I've sprayed :o I'll probably end up paying for it down the line.

Taller stuff I cut down and process for firewood outside of the nesting season, then I spray the regrowth on the stumps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement