Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

leg wax wrote: »
    when bucket fed calves are taken off milk at 6-8 weeks old or more do they stop growing ???????

no but at weaning the milkiest cows will have the heaviest calves 9 times out of 10

she never "stopped" growing just never grew as fast as the others

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

johngalway wrote: »
    Dusted off the cobwebs...

Do you work it on the barrow? Have you a battery underneath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you work it on the barrow? Have you a battery underneath?

Yes & sometimes the battery is in the barrow, sometimes it's out of it. I pump water up the land from an IBC tank to an attic tank and blue barrel. I've 80 meters of garden hose with a lance at the end, got a shut off valve each end to hold the spray in the hose when it's not connected to the sprayer. I disconnect the hose and trundle off with the barrow if I am away from the water and need a refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

My huge pedigree herd. She's a nice shape of a calf but she never really grew. you can see in the second picture the reason why. Just shows the importance of milk

class stock bogman lovely shape. i think milk is important but over-rated. was she creep fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

class stock bogman lovely shape. i think milk is important but over-rated. was she creep fed?

no cant get the b*&%h interested in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

no cant get the b*&%h interested in it

Serious shape on the calf. Lovely animals. What is the breeding of the calf?
    Has the cow any milk atall?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Some photos from this evening. Nearly there with the paddocks and water. Two new water points put in (for 4 paddocks) and only one trough left to add to the system. Work still to do with grass roadways but will have a track machine in in a while and will create bridges over trenches in order to get full access to the place. Currently have to run them around the world to get about 100m!

That's the Atlantic in the distance. It was still quite bright out but then I noticed all the cars on the road had there lights on!
    20120525231833.jpg

Probably the worst spot for rushes on the farm. Had topped this last year but didn't get to spray it. Due to be sprayed in the next few days. The hill behind it is 2 acres of bone dry land split in 2. The field to the left was grazed first and then the field to the right was grazed for 3 days immediately after it.
    20120525232030.jpg

I think the cattle will be smelling the current in this from a bit away! Feck'en mains fencer unit was stolen on Wednesday. First theft from the farm since I re-started in 2008. I hope it brings them no luck (I'll reserve what I really feel for over a pint!).
    20120525232000.jpg

Typical end post set up. Wire wrapped around using 1/2" NG hydrodare, JFC DT30 supplying 2 paddocks. I run the pipe under the trough and up the other side. It seems to be more secure doing it this way.
    20120525231941.jpg

Looking back at the '08 granted aided shed with the fearsome (I jest) labrador in between. Field doesn't look too bad in the photo but in reality there is alot of soft green rushes mixed in the grass. The paddocks will help getting this land grazed down properly. Having been rented for nigh on 30years the place never had any proper grassland management and wet boggy spots like this have gone rough. Great summer grazing ground though when managed correctly. I've heard slurry does this kind of ground wonders. Any thoughts on this?
    20120525231924.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Id swear I know where that shed is just do it!!

My first day back in the hot seat...a very very very hot seat at that, im too fair altogether for this sun :)

photo-128.jpg

photo-129.jpg

I got a new toy to play with aswell. God knows and it puts the 6610 deere to shame comfort wise. Only on demo for the moment though. Spent a few hours discing with her today. Pulled a 10foot amazon with crumbler no bother. Have a nice little road trip to do in the morning with it too. Full powershift with the gears on the little orange switch on the joystick and loader controls on joystick aswell and most importantly air con that would freeze the bollocks off ya!!

photo-130.jpg

photo-131.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Id swear I know where that shed is just do it!!
    I can see you now driving around the roads of West Clare in that monster of a Claas tractor looking our for it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

img00456201205271002.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cattle checked, bikini on aaaaand jump. Beautiful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I always loved this pic. She looks to be enjoying it!

scaled.php?server=829&filename=100722cowwash2.jpg&res=landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

no dept spec steel galv girders in the roof in her shed, good photo of pure enjoyment of a cow.

Kovu Murr wrote: »

Cattle checked, bikini on aaaaand jump. Beautiful day.

You have the right idea karen, I would do the same thing if herself wasnt working today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Some before and after pics of the reseeding I did last year. The place was a mixture of very old grass / briars / blackthorn bushes / ferns / scrub. Got a digger in & cleared the lot...
    The field turned out to be bigger than we expected - whilst it was a proper field once upon a time, there was years of scrub, so we weren't really sure where the original ditch was :D

Its steep and awkward but its dry and one end of it is nice and sheltery so will use that for lambs next Spring. (I only put up the pics of the flatter bit at the top ;) )

Before...
    206514.jpg

After :)

206516.jpg

And another
    206515.jpg206517.jpg

Wow, that's some transformation John! What better advertisment for reseeding could you get? Before and after photos are great to track progress.

photo-128.jpg

Crackin' pic Redz!! It's the kind of photo that should b on the cover of the IFJ next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Some before and after pics of the reseeding I did last year....
    Great work there John. How exactly did ye reseed it? Did ye plough or just disc it etc....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

You have the right idea karen, I would do the same thing if herself wasnt working today :(

would love to see you in a bikini Red,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

pakalasa wrote: »
    Great work there John. How exactly did ye reseed it? Did ye plough or just disc it etc....?

Hi Pak,

What we did was
    Cleared it with a digger
    Left for a while for the ferns & weeds to come
    Spray
    Plough - but some of it was disced as it couldn't be ploughed very well.
    Power harrow
    One pass to sow
    Roll
    Fertiliser 2 weeks

There was a desperate amount of old thatch on some of it, so ploughing was the best option in my opinion. But some places had to be disced, the sod didnt turn over right, or the ground was too awkward, there was a good few sod left in these places. But, where the sods were, they have rotted away now, and it's these places have the best grass now. :)

If I was doing it again I would put out the fertiliser with the seed. Putting it on 2 weeks later on the fresh soil, caused a bit of damage. Not sure it was worth waiting to be honest.

We did it last autumn, it got no spray after sowing and its fairly clean, although there is a few buttercups beginning to appear in the past few days. Never had these before, do people normally spray for them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

snowman707 wrote: »

Can ye keep those photos to PM peaseeeeeeeeeeeeee :p

snowman707 wrote: »

I'd say a lot of people would!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'd say a lot of people would!!!

Hahahahaha. Jesus it's roasting here, already broke out the daisy dukes to wear today. Will go well with the dealer boots! Want to borrow a pair Red? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

I got a new toy to play with aswell. God knows and it puts the 6610 deere to shame comfort wise. Only on demo for the moment though. Spent a few hours discing with her today. Pulled a 10foot amazon with crumbler no bother. Have a nice little road trip to do in the morning with it too. Full powershift with the gears on the little orange switch on the joystick and loader controls on joystick aswell and most importantly air con that would freeze the bollocks off ya!!
    what hp is that redzer, 120? very tidy looking tractor. air con is the biz alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Posted about a hayloft we did a few months back. well the mealstore underneath needs a door.

Completely over-engineering as I want it to be stong/secure as it'll be storing more than meal for the next while and I want it to be a job for life.

This is the doorway.
    hayloft16.jpg

Made the frame, braced it and took it home to make the door at home, no point wasting a weekend on the farm with work than could be as easily done at home.
    hayloft21.jpg

On saturday with help from my dad we got the door made.
    hayloft24.jpg

The timbers are larch 6x1 tongue and groove. I'm half thinking of getting it dipped but dont know if I want the hassle as It'll need another fitting session to get the mounting brackets done up and then I'd have to bring it back home again, then down to the galvanisers, then collect and refit. but on the flipside it would look great and with the timbers pressure treated and varnished then it really would be a job for life.

Hi John, good work!

I think galvanising is the way to go.

Oh... Have you the door shown the way it will be hanging? The brace is going the wrong direction :o

What's wrong with the brace?

JohnBoy wrote: »
    What's wrong with the brace?

A brace usually goes from bottom of the hinged side to the top of the opening side .......

ledged_and_braced_door.jpg

6%27%20Privacy%20Fences%20015.jpg

Ah I see.

Different braces do different things.

Those braces are rigid, and in compression.

My brace is floppy, and in tension.

it holds up the bottom of the door from the top as opposed to pushing up the top of the door from the bottom.

Anyway, there will be a larch brace on the back, going the way you're talking about. just need to pop back to the sawmill to get it.

• Advertisement

what hp is that redzer, 120? very tidy looking tractor. air con is the biz alright

Tractordata tells me its 105hp, thought it was about 120 myself to be honest. Its awful comfortable and smooth though and seems to pull well. I see your own field is nearly ready for a run of a harrow, well burnt looking today :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement