Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Muckit wrote: »
    lspg.jpg

3 day old PB CH bull calf by LSP. Heifer is one we've bred ourselves by TZA out of a SLV (Sylvain) dam.

He was a bit scoury so gave him half a sachet of bimadine and will repeat for next few days. Looks v light at the mo, hopefully he'I have full out by this time next year ;)
    Another good one for Tuam mart weanling sale I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tractor won't start?...........Just hook up your landcruiser and tow 6 bales of silage behind it!!

landcruisern.jpg

red bull wrote: »
    Another good one for Tuam mart weanling sale I hope

Tullamore hopefully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Tullamore hopefully ;)
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

lspg.jpg
    3 day old PB CH bull calf by LSP. Heifer is one we've bred ourselves by TZA out of a SLV (Sylvain) dam.

He was a bit scoury so gave him half a sachet of bimadine and will repeat for next few days. Looks v light at the mo, hopefully he'I have full out by this time next year ;)

Wats she like for milk so far muckit?????

• Advertisement

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Wats she like for milk so far muckit?????

Judge for yourself Rich... not a bad bag for a charolais;)
    That's 'granny' in the background :D

We find a fart would smig a PB calf, so it's still early days. A few more days of powders and once he can handle the milk, the worst is over... (coccidosis stay away please! :o)

tzaheifer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Judge for yourself Rich... not a bad bag for a charolais;)
    That's 'granny' in the background :D

We find a fart would smig a PB calf, so it's still early days. A few more days of powders and once he can handle the milk, the worst is over... (coccidosis stay away please! :o)

tzaheifer.jpg

any bother agtating the tank when the straw goes down through the slats like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

reilig wrote: »
    any bother agtating the tank when the straw goes down through the slats like that?
    Also is there a hole to the front of the cows feet or am i imagining things?

reilig wrote: »

Feck all straw goes down to be honest Reilig, clogs the holes really that's why she so dirty! Grape it up in a few days once the calf gets stronger. anyways straw will rot, silage won't ;) Never got around to building a calving shed here :rolleyes:

1chippy wrote: »
    Also is there a hole to the front of the cows feet or am i imagining things?

I see what you mean... but no... it's an optical illusion :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Feck all straw goes down to be honest Reilig, clogs the holes really that's why she so dirty! Grape it up in a few days once the calf gets stronger. anyways straw will rot, silage won't ;) Never got around to building a calving shed here :rolleyes:

Jeez that's interesting. I'm stuck for space this winter as I've straw stored in the creep area/ calving bays. I'm currently exploring options for when the first calver springs up (due in 10 days time). The rest of them aren't due till 1st January on at which point I'll have an extra pen free.

So what you do is calve them down on the slats and just put in straw? Once the calves are a few days old you clear it out and the calves get on the finest. Have they a creep area to go back into? Do you hose down/ disinfect the slats before calving?

I notice in my shed the slats in the 2 pens with the dry cows on 33-50% straw in their diet have gotten really dry. A bit more like a horse's stable than slatted shed. First winter feeding straw so it's new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Geez Just Do It! I'd be trying to do as little as possible over the festive period, not calving down cows!

you must be some man for the work!

Geez Just Do It! I'd be trying to do as little as possible over the festive period, not calving down cows!

you must be some man for the work!

My better half wasn't too impressed either when she found out the calving dates recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Re just do it. On the issue of dry dung from straw. I remember I dried off suckler cows in August. Stook them on a bare paddock with round feeder of straw. Clare to Jaysus, didn't one of them go down from constipation. on with the glove and raked her out. The things that happen.

Re just do it. On the issue of dry dung from straw. I remember I dried off suckler cows in August. Stook them on a bare paddock with round feeder of straw. Clare to Jaysus, didn't one of them go down from constipation. on with the glove and raked her out. The things that happen.

Yet another thing to watch out for :rolleyes:

just do it wrote: »

So what you do is calve them down on the slats and just put in straw? Once the calves are a few days old you clear it out and the calves get on the finest. Have they a creep area to go back into? Do you hose down/ disinfect the slats before calving?

Yes! It's always been tough love here. We're prob a bit foolish in ways, but then again there are a lot of farmers that would laugh at city folk putting coats on dogs and they themselves doing much the same with calves... half 'mammying' them! They're animals at the end of the day. If they survive our 'system', they'I go on to make great cattle!

I posted a pic of our creep area on this tread before. Don't have a pic to hand now. We only did it in one pen, the one beside this one. Basically it's like a 2 bar feed rail (like in the older slatted sheds) that blocks off cows from a raised cubicle bed at the back of the slats. The calves can run under it along the full length of the back of the pen. We removed the cubicles as we found them not to suit suckler cows. Some would use them, they'd lie backwards in them or strong calves would nearly get stuck in them.

No not at calving. We power hose the shed every summer and lime it. That's it then.

I prob came across a bit harsh there. I do give the cows pre-calver mineral, the calf's naval get iodine and I watch them for scours. But after that they are on their own and either get busy livin' or get busy dyin' ;)

Yes! It's always been tough love here. We're prob a bit foolish in ways, but then again there are a lot of farmers that would laugh at city folk putting coats on dogs and they themselves doing much the same with calves... half 'mammying' them! They're animals at the end of the day. If they survive our 'system', they'I go on to make great cattle!

I posted a pic of our creep area on this tread before. Don't have a pic to hand now. We only did it in one pen, the one beside this one. Basically it's like a 2 bar feed rail (like in the older slatted sheds) that blocks off cows from a raised cubicle bed at the back of the slats. The calves can run under it along the full length of the back of the pen. We removed the cubicles as we found them not to suit suckler cows. Some would use them, they'd lie backwards in them or strong calves would nearly get stuck in them.

No not at calving. We power hose the shed every summer and lime it. That's it then.
    Well that's interesting and will get me out of a hole until I've a few calved. Once you're not getting infections sure there's nothing wrong with it.

Out of interest, what height is the bottom bar to the creep area off the ground?

Out of interest, what height is the bottom bar to the creep area off the ground?

I can't say off hand, but leave it with me and I'I get back to you ;) One thing I would maybe change is to make it height adjustable.

Found pic! Scroll down....Post 38.... ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74271885

• Advertisement

I can't say off hand, but leave it with me and I'I get back to you ;) One thing I would maybe change is to make it height adjustable.

Found pic! Scroll down....Post 38.... ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74271885

Thanks for that Muckit. A nice piece of engineering there. You know I was thinking of something like this as a feed barrier with a few notches up along the side so you could adjust it for weanlings vs yearlings vs cows. The self-locking barriers are great but the disadvantage is you're limited to 7 head spaces which isn't great when throwing them some meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I let in a bit of light where there was none this morning :D Ill sleep tonight!!

photo-2466.jpg

I let in a bit of light where there was none this morning :D Ill sleep tonight!!

....and dreaming of hazel scrub!

What's the plan now that it is cleared in order to keep it at bay? I'd imagine striking the right stocking rate is a delicate balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

....and dreaming of hazel scrub!

What's the plan now that it is cleared in order to keep it at bay? I'd imagine striking the right stocking rate is a delicate balance.

Well I have every stump dosed with roundup so hopefully that will kill the most of it, Wipe any regrowth next summer then but there shouldnt be too much going by other places I have seen done with the same methods. It will be next summer before the grass starts to close in on it I would imagine so wont graze it too heave because I dont want it to get poached. Another week now and I should be able to throw the chainsw into the back of the shed until next year.

The advantage of a vasectomised bull. Green marks are from a strong bullock castrated late in life. Red marks are from a young vasectomised bull probably not even 300kg yet.
    20121214083611.jpg

Over 3,000 posts, what does a thread need to do to become a sticky around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Here is a drinker I hung last Saturday with a steel frame I made from a bit of box section to protect it, I had older steel drinkers in the shed before but they got badly damaged with cattle pushing each other against them or else pushing into them with their heads and they always ended up leaking. Hopefully this will be a sound enough job now that they can't get at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Jesus that's gas I was just after bending two inch piping to do exactly that job ....

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Picture of Dovea MBP bull calf at a few hours old and at 6months old. Out of a SimxCh heifer that calved down at 24 months. Calf has not received any meal.

Picture on page 240

Sold today 330kg for €870

• Advertisement

Picture on page 240

Sold today 330kg for €870
    Good stuff REF, did you sell the other one as well? How old was this one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement