Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

just do it wrote: »
    Good stuff REF, did you sell the other one as well? How old was this one?

No kept the heifer for the minute. Am considering keeping her for breeding. We'll see how she develops.

The bull is 7 months. Don't think he was a bad weight given he got no meal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

No kept the heifer for the minute. Am considering keeping her for breeding. We'll see how she develops.

The bull is 7 months. Don't think he was a bad weight given he got no meal
    Jeez man, you're onto a winning formula. ~1.3kg dwg and €2.64/kg. And all that with no meal! There's living proof of the value of milk;)

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez man, you're onto a winning formula. ~1.3kg dwg and €2.64/kg. And all that with no meal! There's living proof of the value of milk;)

Despite the bad year I had plenty of grass as I was understocked so I'd say that was a big help to bring on the milk. Only feeding silage this last 3 r 4 weeks now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Despite the bad year I had plenty of grass as I was understocked so I'd say that was a big help to bring on the milk. Only feeding silage this last 3 r 4 weeks now

No doubt grass is important. But a bit of breeding is hard to bate!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

was that in headford elmer? nice stock by the way.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »

No doubt grass is important. But a bit of breeding is hard to bate!

I'm only starting to build a herd at min. Had all heifers calving here dis year at 24 months. Mainly sim x ch heifers. When crossed to mbp they seem to have brought good calves with nice bit of muscle on them. Have them all back in calf again this year to mbp plus few more heifers

was that in headford elmer? nice stock by the way.

No little further north ha I'm in Monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

New second hand box I got yesterday.

photo-2500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

well wear, looks like a clean box red

well wear, looks like a clean box red

Its not too bad now vander. All original lights and working, brakes are perfect a 6 good tyres, spare isint great though. Theres a bit of a dent on the roof at the back of it but it isint too bad and one of the legs was broke off the dividing gate but I got it fixed today. Otherwise it's fairly straight. Was looking for a tractor trailer really but the money seemed fairly right for that box and I can still put it on the tractor for drawing cows around. Its getting too dangerous and awkward to be walking them along the road for a few miles in the summer. I will keep onto the 10x5 too for tipping around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Its not too bad now vander. All original lights and working, brakes are perfect a 6 good tyres, spare isint great though. Theres a bit of a dent on the roof at the back of it but it isint too bad and one of the legs was broke off the dividing gate but I got it fixed today. Otherwise it's fairly straight. Was looking for a tractor trailer really but the money seemed fairly right for that box and I can still put it on the tractor for drawing cows around. Its getting too dangerous and awkward to be walking them along the road for a few miles in the summer. I will keep onto the 10x5 too for tipping around the place.

Same up our way Red .

The way its gone now , in the summer we have to get up early in the morning (about half 6) , when there is no traffic on the roads when there is a good few of them together .
    If not the jeep and trailer is on the go .
    Sign of the times really .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Buying haylage bales from neighbour before starting on my own silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Milton09 wrote: »
    Buying haylage bales from neighbour before starting on my own silage.

Nice outfit there! Do you have a canopy for that trailer Milton?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Muckit wrote: »
    Nice outfit there! Do you have a canopy for that trailer Milton?

I do, only move cattle in the summer so I figured the DP120 would be handy for jobs like that in the winter, mind you if they were silage bales I wouldn't be able to load it that much !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

nice trailer what kind of money?

red bull wrote: »
    nice trailer what kind of money?

Sounds good deal, well wear

Busy day today, 2 gates hung and the new swimming pool landed, would I get to lift it enough with the tractor to get the planks out from underneath do ye think, the forklift he took it off the lorry with was struggling with our terrain and your man was afraid he would break it so wouldnt do any more with it.

photo-1678.jpg

photo-849.jpg

Busy day today, 2 gates hung and the new swimming pool landed, would I get to lift it enough with the tractor to get the planks out from underneath do ye think, the forklift he took it off the lorry with was struggling with our terrain and your man was afraid he would break it so wouldnt do any more with it.

if you got a strap underneath the the edges you could lift one side at a time and take planks out

if you got a strap underneath the the edges you could lift one side at a time and take planks out

Its 3 tonnes so im not sure if the loader will lift it or not, I'll work something out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Leave them there and put more gravel around it so it wont become a muck hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You could roll it, carefully, on 6" stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I'll work something out anyway.

It can be done. There was no loader when Newgrange was built:D

Bizzum wrote: »

It can be done. There was no loader when Newgrange was built:D

I suppose you dont have a number for the lads that built it :D

I like the old fashioned gates didnt know they were still available

Its 3 tonnes so im not sure if the loader will lift it or not, I'll work something out anyway.

2 tractors with 2 transport boxes. They could reverse in under the ends. You could move it but one tractor would be reversing

I like the old fashioned gates didnt know they were still available
    They are nice alright, there's a few lads still making them around here. Some weight in them compared to a normal gate.

2 tractors with 2 transport boxes. They could reverse in under the ends. You could move it but one tractor would be reversing

I dont really need to move it vander, I had the gravel levelled and all but I didnt think your man would have as much trouble trying to put it in. I will have a go with the tractor tomorrow, If it would lift it an inch one side at a time it would be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

They are lovely gates redzer , there is good weight in the old ones anyhow there are a few hanging around here that the grandfather hung when he was a young lad so if they are a few bob dearer than the normal ones at least they will seee you out without having to replace them

moy83 wrote: »
    They are lovely gates redzer , there is good weight in the old ones anyhow there are a few hanging around here that the grandfather hung when he was a young lad so if they are a few bob dearer than the normal ones at least they will seee you out without having to replace them

They werent much dearer to be honest, €140 for the gates and €30 each for the pillars and I will get the most of the price of them back through the Burrenlife. I might get a few more next year aswell for the entrance to the yard and a few fields beside the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Jeez thats a great price , whats the longest they make them and where did you get them ? If you had the time to build stone pillars to hang them from they would look even better I think .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement