Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

just do it wrote: »
    Nice calves there. Any chance of a pic of the set up you've described for the calves

Here is the set up I have for letting the calves in and out to the cows twice a day with no hastle... To be honest I wouldnt be proud of the workmanship its one of the roughest pieces of work I ever did, in my defence I did it one Sunday morning in a rush.

I also made a calving gate recently and took my time and spent a lot of Saturdays/Sundays at it and its a serious tidy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I love the principle behind it. Why go cutting a good gate when your simple idea will do the trick ;)

Muckit wrote: »
    I love the principle behind it. Why go cutting a good gate when your simple idea will do the trick ;)

Ye; the principle behind it it good, if I had a little more time on my hands I would of made a tidy job out of it. I could of went cutting or buying a gate but it would of been more hastle/cost.

I am big into keeping things as cheap/simple as possible... I looked at buying a proper calving gate a while ago and it was costing something like 750+VAT for the gate I wanted. It was very hard to justify that type of money so I looked up the design on the internet and set about making it...all it cost me was approx. 100 euro (+ a lot of time!) because I had a lot of old bit of steel lieing around at home and I had a gate going spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Oui Vander, il est magnifique!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

my little "lorry calf" tasting her first bit of haylage, she shaping up well, the cow's milk gave her a good lift

7AD2163F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Here is the set up I have for letting the calves in and out to the cows twice a day with no hastle... To be honest I wouldnt be proud of the workmanship its one of the roughest pieces of work I ever did, in my defence I did it one Sunday morning in a rush.

I also made a calving gate recently and took my time and spent a lot of Saturdays/Sundays at it and its a serious tidy job.

Could you put up a picture of the calving gate please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bodacious wrote: »
    my little "lorry calf" tasting her first bit of haylage, she shaping up well, the cow's milk gave her a good lift

Is that cable car cables in the background?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Is that cable car cables in the background?! :D
    Sure how else would he get the haylage up to them :D

moy83 wrote: »
    Sure how else would he get the haylage up to them :D

It's a fecker to drop the feed in the right clean spot out of the cable car! ;-)

Any dairy lads/ladies think with the broken face and white on the legs that there is any Holstein or montipeliard or anything else apart from hr X FR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Bodacious wrote: »
    It's a fecker to drop the feed in the right clean spot out of the cable car! ;-)

Any dairy lads/ladies think with the broken face and white on the legs that there is any Holstein or montipeliard or anything else apart from hr X FR?

nope, he X british fr even, she is a smasher and will be as fat as a pig in no time at all. a counter mans dream for yummie meat:)

nope, he X british fr even, she is a smasher and will be as fat as a pig in no time at all. a counter mans dream for yummie meat:)

Good stuff , few neighbours commented on her that "she is a real old style calf" used to be loads of lorry calves sold about here, everyone had them triple AAA golden maverick or bloom flat out feeding them, then stale bread into it, then few calf nuts in bottom of the bucket!

Ill hold her as was away few times during the summer and my sisters would let her have a suck of the cow and she a bit of a pet

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Spotted this while driving through the village the other day !

Milton09 wrote: »
    top quality forage there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Milton09 wrote: »
    How do they get it off? Fast forward and hit the brakes, I suppose. :D

Conor556 wrote: »
    Could you put up a picture of the calving gate please

Will take a few pics over the next couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

santa came

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Great present Whelan. Better than any fail station as they are called by the cousin in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

whelan1 wrote: »
    santa came

Santa is a great judge of an animal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

santa came

its good to see he is in the voluntary BVD testing scheme :)

• Advertisement

be careful bringing the pooch for a walk :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpONxJ7JSw

HCA bull calf from 27mo heifer as seen from the calving camera on my smartphone. Calved herself unaided. : D

sc20121226102119.jpg

Calved this morning at 8am. I've started recording the time of calving so i'll be interested to see if individual cows follow a pattern. I'll report back on this one in about 5 yrs time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

There must be great comfort being able to keep an eye on them calving through the phone jd.

There must be great comfort being able to keep an eye on them calving through the phone jd.
    Sure is. Saved me 3 or 4 visits to the shed between 9pm last night and calving this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

2012+-+1

Busy Christmas Day, but I aint complaining :D

Sure is. Saved me 3 or 4 visits to the shed between 9pm last night and calving this morning.

Is there a distance limit just do it or could you be anywhere once there's coverage? This kind of system is on my wishlist :rolleyes:

Muckit wrote: »
    Is there a distance limit just do it or could you be anywhere once there's coverage? This kind of system is on my wishlist :rolleyes:

No distance limit as all I need is an internet connection. I'm really seeing the benefits as I'm also watching a pen of bullying cows. As I'm away with work a bit often I'm only guessing within 24hrs of when they've been bulling. The camera takes the guesswork out of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

santa came
    And I see by jpeg no 1 that you got a new camera from santa for yerself

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

HCA bull calf from 27mo heifer as seen from the calving camera on my smartphone. Calved herself unaided. : D

sc20121226102119.jpg

Calved this morning at 8am. I've started recording the time of calving so i'll be interested to see if individual cows follow a pattern. I'll report back on this one in about 5 yrs time :rolleyes:
    How much did it cost all in to get the camera up and running??

• Advertisement

mantua wrote: »
    How much did it cost all in to get the camera up and running??
    Have alook here http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056741425?page=1

Camera and 2 nanostations for the 600m wireless bridge between the shed and house cost roughly €180 on ebay. Took a fair bit of setting up. 2 IT issues took a while to figure out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement