Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Hay_man wrote: »

Peasant life eh redzer :pac: :pac: :D
    It's tough going now especially when the weather isn't playing ball, there's a nice few euro out of it though and I have a bit of time on my hands so that's why I tackled it by myself, I might get someone for a few days yet though to take the guts out of it, you wouldn't see a mornings work doing it by yourself by the time it is cut, gathered and all the stumps are treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

caseman wrote: »
    These 7 weanlings in ballymote today.
    315kg 860
    330kg 865
    340kg 915
    320kg 810
    285kg 800
    310kg 780 not sold
    300kg 770 not sold
    Would have liked 20-30ckg more,each had 85 euros worth of meal eat ,all born last week of feb and firsh week of march

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

315kg 860
    330kg 865
    340kg 915
    320kg 810
    285kg 800
    310kg 780 not sold
    300kg 770 not sold
    Would have liked 20-30ckg more,each had 85 euros worth of meal eat ,all born last week of feb and firsh week of march
    265-270c/kg and 1.05kg dwg. Good result given the year that's in it?

Given the level of BB (in the 1 photo I looked at), do you think more meal would have helped?

just do it wrote: »
    265-270c/kg and 1.05kg dwg. Good result given the year that's in it?

Given the level of BB (in the 1 photo I looked at), do you think more meal would have helped?
    More meal would probaly help,but i think, cows with more power is needed for breeding blues alot of my cows are 2nd or 3rd generation bf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

More meal would probaly help,but i think, cows with more power is needed for breeding blues alot of my cows are 2nd or 3rd generation bf.
    Ya, you could see that alright in the weanlings. Very good quality all the same. I thought they might have made a little bit more.
    Are you planning to breed up from the cows you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

315kg 860
    330kg 865
    340kg 915
    320kg 810
    285kg 800
    310kg 780 not sold
    300kg 770 not sold

very good prices for the stock and the year. You wouldn't get much more for them next year as year and half. would you say you cleared €300/head after costs Caseman? Thanks for pics and prices ... some only post their champagne pics here.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

pakalasa wrote: »
    Ya, you could see that alright in the weanlings. Very good quality all the same. I thought they might have made a little bit more.

Lads I have 10 limousine & charlaois 1 st time heifers calving in feb march 2013.

They are out on the land now with round feeder of silage

I intend to throw them a bale of oaten straw soon for the calf and stomach

There weights are 450+ kg

I also intend to give them bolus tablets 6 weeks before calving

Is there anything else or ideas I should know about

It is our first time calving as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Duck farming now til next april

floodpz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

Muckit wrote: »

floodpz.jpg

some difference a few miles make- this was my morning
    006gsh.jpg

and yesterday morn
    001ejqz.jpg

saranac1 wrote: »

Lads I have 10 limousine & charlaois 1 st time heifers calving in feb march 2013.

They are out on the land now with round feeder of silage

I intend to throw them a bale of oaten straw soon for the calf and stomach

There weights are 450+ kg

I also intend to give them bolus tablets 6 weeks before calving

Is there anything else or ideas I should know about

It is our first time calving as well!!!
    Keep building them up at this stage. I'd even suggest some meal. Only add in the straw with 6 weeks to calving i.e. 1st jan if starting to calf in mid feb. they're still young so you've the balancing act of keeping them growing vs having them fit at calving date.

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »

some difference a few miles make- this was my morning
    006gsh.jpg

and yesterday morn
    001ejqz.jpg
    You calve them all outside? By far and away a better job if it's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

You calve them all outside? By far and away a better job if it's possible

try to if weather permits- i find it far healthier and less risk of cows slipping on concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bean_Flicker

floodpz.jpg

Will take that a while to dry out :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

lashing rain here now.. we are finished calving about 3 weeks ago but outside calving is the biz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

floodpz.jpg
    Is that annual or just the year thats in it? would the grass be seriously slow to come right after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Keep building them up at this stage. I'd even suggest some meal. Only add in the straw with 6 weeks to calving i.e. 1st jan if starting to calf in mid feb. they're stol might so you're the balancing act out keeping them growing vs having them fit at calving date.

Thanks for the info

You suggest meal?

A few people say you should not give meal to in calf heifers as its bad for the calf???

Not sure yet what to do , was thinking of using parthenaise to bring more power for replacements ,or might use ch they seem to trading the best of all at the moment.
    I'll post afew pictures to see whwt ye think.

saranac1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info

You suggest meal?

A few people say you should not give meal to in calf heifers as its bad for the calf???
    I don't understand how it could be bad for the calf. True in the last 6 weeks you want to restrict the diet to ensure the calf isn't too big. But you've young growing maiden heifers and they need to energy. I'd be slow to restrict them for any longer than 6 weeks.

Others may want to contribute...

Pink wart-like growth on the eyeball. Only spotted it today.
    20121125015124.jpg

Here's a close up
    20121125015206.jpg

Handling facilities.

I was dosing cattle today so I took a few pics while I was at it. I'll add some notes tomorrow when I'm on the pc. (edit: Done!)

20121125021338.jpg
    This is a walk through at the back of the crush. It's the same width as those at Ennis mart. The back gate swings over to block it off. It's set at an angle so the open gate forms a 45 angle acting as a funnel.
    20121125021434.jpg

20121125021555.jpg
    Typical problem here, the first one up is trying to reverse. The butterfly wings half way up work brilliantly. The cattle seem to be attracted by them and, once they get used to them, like to get the other side if them. So here is as normally happens. 1 or 2 go up past the wings and reverse. I put some more in the back and shut the back gate. now push up the front ones and get 4 beyond the wings. Now get another 4 at the back. End result, 8 cows packed tightly in the crush by one man with no excitement, beating with sticks etc.
    20121125022824.jpg
    Full crush of relaxed cows making the the job of working with them much easier, safer, and less stressful on both man and beast :).
    20121125021759.jpg
    The walk through at the back. Not every lad can fit through it!
    20121125021856.jpg
    This gate swings to insert at 3 different points giving me great flexibility as to how I use the yard.
    20121125022004.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Pink wart-like growth on the eyeball. Only spotted it today.
    20121125015124.jpg

Here's a close up
    20121125015206.jpg

That is cancer more common in white head cattle .. I had the vet remove growth and right down into bit of eyelid behind it and culled her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Handling facilities.

I was dosing cattle today so I took a few pics while I was at it. I'll add some notes tomorrow when I'm on the pc.

nice setup

Handling facilities.

I was dosing cattle today so I took a few pics while I was at it. I'll add some notes tomorrow when I'm on the pc.

nice setup

Hardly a candidate for the FBD tidy farm of the year award though! I'd a lad with a power washer lined up since July but the shed had has some stock in since then so did get him in :rolleyes:

With the year that's been the place is in an awful state. Anyone else find this?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Bodacious wrote: »

That is cancer more common in white head cattle .. I had the vet remove growth and right down into bit of eyelid behind it and culled her
    I was just going to say it was a harmless skin tag and rub a"dry cow tube" on the eye to ease the irritation........ . Proving the point u shouldn't listen to me and need a vet!!!!

mikeoh wrote: »
    I was just going to say it was a harmless skin tag and rub a"dry cow tube" on the eye to ease the irritation........ . Proving the point u shouldn't listen to me and need a vet!!!!
    yeah that's what I thought when I saw it first but I think BOD is right. The difference is it is growing off the eyeball rather than off the eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Hardly a candidate for the FBD tidy farm of the year award though! I'd a lad with a power washer lined up since July but the shed had has some stock in since then so did get him in :rolleyes:

With the year that's been the place is in an awful state. Anyone else find this?
    Nice set-up there. Like you say, no beating with sticks or a Cattle Prodder required. And they won't be afraid to go back in again either.
    Surprised at the butterfly backing gate. I though cattle woud be afraid to go under it.
    Hand yard scraper...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bean_Flicker

Lovely stock and facilities just do it :cool:

Does your contractor stack your silage bales for you or do you stack them?

As I just seen in another tread you said you had a MF 165.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

yeah that's what I thought when I saw it first but I think BOD is right. The difference is it is growing off the eyeball rather than off the eyelid.
    Is it a cow r bullock?

Hand yard scraper...;)

Ah sure I know and I have one. but to do the yard properly takes a fair effort and I'm too lazy! ;)

• Advertisement

Lovely stock and facilities just do it :cool:

Does your contractor stack your silage bales for you or do you stack them?

As I just seen in another tread you said you had a MF 165.
    Thanks bean, it's improving gradually! The contractor stacks them and I keep the bare minimum of machinery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement