Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

mikeoh wrote: »
    Is it a cow r bullock?
    Cow 7m in calf. She's on the cull list now, but depending on how this develops I'll hopefully get a reared calf before she departs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

1chippy wrote: »
    Is that annual or just the year thats in it? would the grass be seriously slow to come right after that?

Annual thing. Swallow holes. 10-15acres under water depending on the water table. A lot of lads shot ducks off it during the winter, place would be littered with empties in spring.

It works ok now that we have shed. Grass in spring would grow through the water like a green house! Plus you get leached fertiliser/slurry from nieighbours ;) It would be April at earliest before goes back, could be May on a bad year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Muckit wrote: »
    Annual thing. Swallow holes. 10-15acres under water depending on the water table. A lot of lads shot ducks off it during the winter, place would be littered with empties in spring.

It works ok now that we have shed. Grass in spring would grow through the water like a green house! Plus you get leached fertiliser/slurry from nieighbours ;) It would be April at earliest before goes back, could be May on a bad year.

Is that what they call a turloch in roscommon?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

just do it wrote: »
    Cow 7m in calf. She's on the cull list now, but depending on how this develops I'll hopefully get a reared calf before she departs
    It wouldn't happen to a bad one,.....hope she rears a great calf for u

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Pink wart-like growth on the eyeball. Only spotted it today.
    20121125015124.jpg

Cancer, dont know if it can be removed our not by VET, Dont delay in culling as I have seen some seriously bad growths over the years at the meat factory. Owners of such animals should get a stern warning of the Dept of Ag on animal cruelty as if a normal Joe soap saw such an animal at an slaughterhouse they would be less than impressed with our standards

• Advertisement

This is a walk through at the back of the crush. It's the same width as those at Ennis mart. The back gate swings over to block it off.

Those walk throughs are great idea. saves a lot of messing with opening gates. They were one thing I forgot to add myself when planning out penning. Would be great if you could buy them premade and just bolt them in place

Owners of such animals should get a stern warning of the Dept of Ag on animal cruelty as if a normal Joe soap saw such an animal at an slaughterhouse they would be less than impressed with our standards
    I beg to differ with you on this one. If the animal is not suffering there isn't a welfare issue. If the Dept of Ag were to act on every "perceived" welfare issue there wouldn't be a farmer left in the country. A lot of fine looking cattle arrive in the factory that have had a frightning existence due to been indiscriminantly beaten by the farmer, as much out of ignorance than anything else (i.e. that's the only way they've seen cattle been treated). I'm probably the only farmer in my townland that doesn't carry a stick or bit of wavin piping with me each time I herd my cattle. Anyway that is enough of a rant for now. For me welfare issues are where the animal suffers in some way, not when non-farmer Joe Public thinks there is a welfare issue.

From a pragmatic perspective this cow will remain as long as she isn't in anyway suffering. Now that I'm aware of this growth it will be under daily observation. Her job is to produce a valuable calf each year and she is only 2 months away from hopefully doing this. As long as she's in no discomfort she'll be given the opportunity to do her job. As snowman707 noted a good while back, the head and legs aren't what produce the steak on the plate (there's another valued contributor that has gone to ground, I wonder was he mascarading as Blake Smoke for a while :confused:).

I beg to differ with you on this one. If the animal is not suffering there isn't a welfare issue. If the Dept of Ag were to act on every "perceived" welfare issue there wouldn't be a farmer left in the country.

What I said was

I have seen some seriously bad growths over the years at the meat factory. Owners of such animals should get a stern warning of the Dept of Ag on animal cruelty

The above animals should have being slaughtered 6 months previously and never alloud the cancerous growth to develop to the state the animal was presented with

What I have seen on a good few occasions would be too bad to post a picture up here of. Growths the size of a small football and a stinking smell, blood bleeding out etc.

your cow is currently in perfect condition and is only the beginning of a growth hence I said it maybe even able to be removed by a vet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Simmentals seem to be prone to eye cancer, seen it before on a neighbour's cow. How old is she, just do it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Simmentals seem to be prone to eye cancer, seen it before on a neighbour's cow. How old is she, just do it?
    She's 6yo. Just checked her dates and she's due to calf in 11 weeks to gene ireland CH bull DZP. Funny how some animals go. She was on death's door 3 years ago due to rumen fluke but lived to tell the tale. If I weren't trying to increase numbers she'd have been culled this year as she's also poor on the hindfeet.

Anyway I'll just have to watch her and if she goes like Bob is predicting she may end up on a meat hook before she gets to deliver.

• Advertisement

She's 6yo. Just checked her dates and she's due to calf in 11 weeks to gene ireland CH bull DZP. Funny how some animals go. She was on death's door 3 years ago due to rumen fluke but lived to tell the tale. If I weren't trying to increase numbers she'd have been culled this year as she's also poor on the hindfeet.

Anyway I'll just have to watch her and if she goes like Bob is predicting she may end up on a meat hook before she gets to deliver.

she should be grand to get the calf, talk to your vet about it, cant remember how fast it progresses as its awhile since we had one, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

ive a book on it here from a u.s. company, its the white head that reflects sunlight back which causes more concentrated sun rays around the eye area of a whitehead animal that that of a solid coloured animal and yeah that would fit with simmental breed also

a lad i know sold one with the calf at foot after growth was removed and she done no good for the man that bought her, she had never ending scour and was starting to pine away then he sold her at a loss (i dont agree with either of these men selling the problem on by the way)

advice is to remove growth asap as first stages are not malignant and hope that it hasnt grown inwards into the eyelid and its better to be on the eyeball than on the 3rd eyelid, as eyeball tumours grow outwards whereas eyelid tumours spread inwards to lymph nodes and organs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

The last of the calves being weaned today, should have been done a few weeks ago by right because they had started to go backwards.

photo-200.jpg

What happens to your cowbox when a ton of limisioun bull decides hes not going to wait for you to open the gates to let him out :mad:

photo-2365.jpg

photo-1455.jpg

God lovely looking stock there Redzer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

is that the wall you were building before to the right of those cattle?

The picture probably flatters them a bit to be honest muckit, they have more hair than flesh on them at the moment. They should be a lot better overall. We creep fed 10 of the handier calves from the middle of august to the start of October and by the time we sold them they were streets ahead of the ones we weaned today, lesson learned I guess. A few kilos of meal makes a huge difference late in the year when they are still sucking. Will be feeding all those for the winter anyway so it doesnt make a huge difference I spose.

is that the wall you were building before to the right of those cattle?

Tis indeed vander. The auld lad is building on a calving pen at the moment aswell, getting the ****s of heading out the field with the jeep and the flash lamp looking for cows calving in the spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

they sure are, and ready for the winter with the hair,fair play redzer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Tis indeed vander. The auld lad is building on a calving pen at the moment aswell, getting the ****s of heading out the field with the jeep and the flash lamp looking for cows calving in the spring.

looks like a fine cosy shed now anyway

How do you wean Redz? Will you leave them in that shed for a while and move the cows to winterage or what??

• Advertisement

How do you wean Redz? Will you leave them in that shed for a while and move the cows to winterage or what??

Will keep them in for a week and put them to a sheltered winterage and they will get silage and about 3kg of meal a day for the winter. The cows will be going to the winterage when they stop roaring and lose interest in the calf's, the can walk up to the gate of the shed at the moment. The calves seem happy enough so far anyway, not doing too much bawling and they are picking away at the meal.

looks like a fine cosy shed now anyway

Its still a bit open from where I took the pic but that will be closed in when the calving pen is finished, time to be getting it done now with 15 heifers calving from the start of February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Will keep them in for a week and put them to a sheltered winterage and they will get silage and about 3kg of meal a day for the winter. The cows will be going to the winterage when they stop roaring and lose interest in the calf's, the can walk up to the gate of the shed at the moment. The calves seem happy enough so far anyway, not doing too much bawling and they are picking away at the meal.

A head or between them?:confused:

Bizzum wrote: »

A head or between them?:confused:
    A head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

A head.

Won't that be fairly expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

johnpawl wrote: »
    Won't that be fairly expensive?
    Alot cheaper than keeping them in a expensive slatted house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

caseman wrote: »
    Alot cheaper than keeping them in a expensive slatted house.

Missed the part about out wintering:o

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

any harm in askin redzer what kinda weight gain would you be expecting from these ladies on the winterage and 3kgs meal??

any harm in askin redzer what kinda weight gain would you be expecting from these ladies on the winterage and 3kgs meal??
    Very little :D they will grow a bit of frame and a good fleece. There's no holding them back when they go to grass in the spring though, you wouldn't know them after a month of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Very little :D they will grow a bit of frame and a good fleece. There's no holding them back when they go to grass in the spring though, you wouldn't know them after a month of it.

Hi red, I was waiting for you to come back with that answer as I was going to say it.

I outwintered 5 heifers last year on silage and say 2-3kg of meal and yeah survival mode only but went they went to grass on March 20th... Look out the compensatory growth kicked in...

Guy in farming info can't remember his name John Shirley maybe is always on about it "outlyers" vs "hot house flowers"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement