Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkys rom on Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just updated there from 9.2 without wipe and alls fine so far. No real big changes I can see, v snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Hows battery performance?

PS, I removed the lagfix altogether and am running 9.2 with a nice improvement in the battery life.

You're never going to know how battery life is straight away. Flashing should always be done on 100% battery and it'll take a few full charge/recharge cycles before the battery settles.

You sometimes even need to boost it, where you drain it completely and then bump charge it (letting it fill to 100%, than remove and recharge until it cuts out again, maybe doing this a few times). I bumped last time, it settled my stats and made the battery last longer

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, to upgrade is easy, just copy the rom to your internal sd, set your options in the Darksy rom configurator and use clockworkmod recovery to install it, takes 10 mins. I'm gonna try a no wipe first, some have posted that its worked fine. Worst comes to the worst I'll just flash it again and select wipe. My sms and apps backup weekly neways.
    Yeah that's simple now. cheers:)

That's 7 chickens. I really should stop counting them before they're hatched:).
    I've tried using clockwork to install it and i'm getting an error "can't open /sdcard/Darkys_v9.3_Extreme_Edition.zip (bad)
    Installation aborted.:mad:

Don't think i have done anything wrong. Could be a corrupt file or something. Running clockwork 2.5.1.3 if that makes any difference.

Delete it, download it again and try once more

Clockwork 2.5.1.3 is what I have, boot to clockwork recovery, select install zip from sd card, chose zip from sd card, scroll all the way down to the end and select Darkys_v9.3_Extreme_Edition.zip. When done backup out and reboot

• Advertisement

If You're still having problems I've just read that if You rename it to update.zip and flash it that way, it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

I've just flashed to 9.2 using the above guide. Cheers for your help. All went smoothly.

No bother!

That's 7 chickens. I really should stop counting them before they're hatched:).
    I've tried using clockwork to install it and i'm getting an error "can't open /sdcard/Darkys_v9.3_Extreme_Edition.zip (bad)
    Installation aborted.:mad:

Don't think i have done anything wrong. Could be a corrupt file or something. Running clockwork 2.5.1.3 if that makes any difference.

Here's a guide for upgrade I posted in the Samsung Galaxy S thread.........

Download Darky's Configurator from the Market.
    Select what options you want on the configurator. Choose No wipe if you don't want factory reset. For 9.3 choose circular battery.

Download the ROM file. That'll be a big file, 240mb or so. Copy to your Internal SD card.

Turn off phone and charge until 100%. I always bump charge before a ROM flash.

After fully charged, boot into recovery mode.
    Choose Install Zip from SD card
    Then choose zip from Sd card and select the ROM file.

Thats it.
    First boot up will take a good while so don't worry.

See links below........
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/in...arkys-rom.318/

Thanks G1032 and Pog. I've successfully flashed to 9.3(think i should stop flashing or i'll get arrested:)).

Turns out i wasn't technically doing anything wrong. Strangely the first 9.3 ROM that i downloaded was only 64mb so i just downloaded the ROM again and everything went well. It's all good in Darky's world.

Just one problem with an app that shouldn't be talked about here not working but i should get that sorted.

Very early days but i don't appear to have any serious battery drain like some have reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

What size should the update be mine is 239.56MB as reported by Root Explorer. I don't think this is the full zip however.

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    What size should the update be mine is 239.56MB as reported by Root Explorer. I don't think this is the full zip however.

Sounds about right. Mine was just over 240MB(lets not fight over less than 1MB:))

Sounds about right. Mine was just over 240MB(lets not fight over less than 1MB:))

Yeah but thing is when I flash it it says the zip is bad, guess I'll have to wait till I'm near wifi and download again.

Ste- wrote: »
    Yeah but thing is when I flash it it says the zip is bad, guess I'll have to wait till I'm near wifi and download again.

Yeah, mine said bad the first time i flashed but that was a measly 64MB zip.
    I downloaded from http://www.multiupload.com/8Z04J6BBB2 using the rapidshare link the second time. It's actually 242.44 MB. Worked a charm although took a while to download not having a pro account.

Just one problem with an app that shouldn't be talked about here not working but i should get that sorted.

If thats the app I'm thinking of it can't be updated in the market so it stops working every so often, find it online with your pc and use your barcode scanner and download the new version

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

I just did this, it's beautiful and is much nippier. Well worth doing.

Going from 9.3beta to 9.3 my quadrant benchmark has dropped from 1400 to 1100 :(
    Thankfully I backed up the old ROM so will prob go back to that

Going from 9.3beta to 9.3 my quadrant benchmark has dropped from 1400 to 1100 :(
    Thankfully I backed up the old ROM so will prob go back to that

The best thing you could do is uninstall Quadrant and never install it again. The Quadrant scores mean nothing in the the 'real world'. Its a bullsh!t app imo.
    That score means nothing...................

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Just flashed 9.3. Very smooth. Did a wipe, used titanium backup. So far so good.

Any battery reports on the latest 9.3 lads? I used 9.2 with with voodoo and it was pretty heavy on the bat. disabling voodoo makes a huge difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Just updated 9.2 to 9.3 with voodoo and JPY modem, will report back on battery after few days, give it a chance to settle. Things do feel snappier so far, and I like the android boot animation. Restored settings from CWM backup and all is well so far.

• Advertisement

Posting this here for anyone who wishes to calibrate their battery
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-how-to-calibrate-your-battery.321/

Hecklar wrote: »
    Any battery reports on the latest 9.3 lads? I used 9.2 with with voodoo and it was pretty heavy on the bat. disabling voodoo makes a huge difference though.

Day 2 on 9.3.
    Disabled voodo lagfix. Phone still running very smooth.Got 16 hours of normal use from battery.Did the battery callibration mentioned in previous post.I'll update tomorrow on how long battery lasts.
    Over all very happy with the phone on Darkys 9.3.

One thing I noticed when I went from 9.2 to 9.3 was that it was back to ascending ringtone, here's the fix for everyone else:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11811589&postcount=32276

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Day 2 on 9.3.
    Disabled voodo lagfix. Phone still running very smooth.Got 16 hours of normal use from battery.Did the battery callibration mentioned in previous post.I'll update tomorrow on how long battery lasts.
    Over all very happy with the phone on Darkys 9.3.

Day 3 on 9.3
    Got 33 hours before battery went to 10% . Very very happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Day 3 on 9.3
    Got 33 hours before battery went to 10% . Very very happy with that.
    Apart from battery life improvements how do you find 9.3 overall, is there a noticeable difference over 9.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

cdb wrote: »
    Apart from battery life improvements how do you find 9.3 overall, is there a noticeable difference over 9.2?

To be honest I havn't noticed any major differences, running it now 5 days.

Iv reset the battery stats now a few days ago too and I'd say it would manage close to two days worth on moderate usage.

Iv not got lagfix enabled either as it does not seem to need it.

DZ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Having a weird problem with texting. I'll go to reply to an SMS, send off my reply and the recipient gets a copy of a message that was successfully delivered in the past.

For example, I reply to a text right now but the recipient actually gets a message that I sent yesterday for the second time and my real reply gets stored in the conversation as what was actually sent. It's an intermittent problem but pretty odd.

Any ideas?

Running Darkys 9.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Flashed my Galaxy S for the first time to 9.2 Ressurection.... Good Lord why didn't I do this sooner?!

Is it worth upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3? Has anybody done this without wiping?

Thanks.

Do a nandroid backup from CWM then do a wipe then restore your data and only data don't do a full restore or your system etc just data in CWM after upgrading. Did it last night from 9.3b3 to 9.3 final and is the best way to upgrade I find.

• Advertisement

So its been a couple of weeks since I installed 9.2 and the battery issues have been very hit and miss. I dissabled lagfix and it got a lot better for a while but in the last few days its struggling to last 8 hours. Darky's 9.3 is in order for later on tonight i reckon. I hope its going to be better. :)

Advertisement