Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Hope you didn't leave her a tip!!

Oh I gave her a couple of tips! Smile more & the customer is always right.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Delivery from quay pizza again last night. Magnificent stuff.

Girlfriend wonted a take away from spice route tonight,

Was in the city after work and was going to walk in and order it,

No one inside the place had a mask on this includes the staff !!!!

I was like f that and walked away without ordering,

Might be OTT but it does make you think twice about ordering and eating somewhere

Indeed, I mentioned before in the Cork City forum that I've not gotten any takeaways in this lockdown. With high levels of Covid I just think it's a risk I don't want to take. Fnck knows what any kitchen is like at the best of times.

Lots of places seem to reckon a screen at the counter and customers masked is grand, with folk prepping food unmasked. It doesn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

We got our only takeaway since last January last Saturday. Beautiful delicious Lennoxes. I think I was happier than I've ever been in my life. Probably won't be doing it again for a long time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

Dinner from O'Reilly's Food Truck Carraigcrohane Rd last night...

Me - chicken creole wrap (proper chargrilled chicken - had been marinated in cajun spices; wrapped with a little hot sauce and aioli and lettuce) - hmm had that proper chargrilled flavour..
    OH - ham mushroom with peppers (savage pizza.. the tomato sauce was delicious - a bit too cheesy for me but great quality - great base.. delicious)
    Chips to share.. with aioli and hot sauce - proper chips - no nasty old oil after taste.. the hot sauce is yum - smokey, spicy and sweet - gotta get the brand)..

Great service - nice staff... hmm hmm.. highlight of the week
    Not your average chipper food me thinks.. would highly recommend..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Great bit of beef from the Carrigaline Court Hotel's takeaway lunch to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Ordered from Mitch Masala a few weeks back and thought it was good except for the naan which tasted like one of those horrible supermarket ones. Ordered again this evening and it was shockingly bad. Lamb balti was very strange, a kind of burnt treacly taste to it.
    Chicken pakoras were ok but the sheekh kebab was an abomination. An experience I will never repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Samhain wrote: »
    Ordered from Mitch Masala a few weeks back and thought it was good except for the naan which tasted like one of those horrible supermarket ones. Ordered again this evening and it was shockingly bad. Lamb balti was very strange, a kind of burnt treacly taste to it.
    Chicken pakoras were ok but the sheekh kebab was an abomination. An experience I will never repeat.

I know I got it last week instead of Thali and the naan was so dry and just broke apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I had dinner in the dining room this evening.
    My girlfriend cooked it. Tasty enough but the service was shocking, slow & waitress was rude when I complained. Then when I was finished dessert, I was asked to go into the kitchen & clean up!

Like I said the food wasn’t bad but overall I wouldn’t recommend it.

Sheesh... The minor stuff people complain about in this thread...

I've been at this living room table since March 2020 and no one's as much as come over to offer me a menu or water for the table. If nothing happens before summer I'm definitely going to start thinking about maybe making a fuss. Not sure I'll complain, but they're definitely not getting much of a tip!

Thanks for the laugh H8GHOTI, we need it these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

sporina wrote: »
    Dinner from O'Reilly's Food Truck Carraigcrohane Rd last night...

Did the same last night, a pizza and the halloumi burger with fries. All was excellent, busy spot, friendly lads, looking forward to having it again.

• Advertisement

SomeFool wrote: »
    Did the same last night, a pizza and the halloumi burger with fries. All was excellent, busy spot, friendly lads, looking forward to having it again.

great stuff... Q did you just order when you got there or in advance? We ordered over the phone and picked it up when it was ready... didn't wanna be hanging around in case it was busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

great stuff... Q did you just order when you got there or in advance? We ordered over the phone and picked it up when it was ready... didn't wanna be hanging around in case it was busy

Tried online but found the site a bit tedious, just drove over and ordered, i was sorted within 20 mins despite how busy they were. I'll probably ring ahead next time.

SomeFool wrote: »
    Tried online but found the site a bit tedious, just drove over and ordered, i was sorted within 20 mins despite how busy they were. I'll probably ring ahead next time.

yeah there is a lot to go thru on the website lol... but if it had a collection time option i would use it.. found it easier to just ring them..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

Ordered Palmento at the weekend and really enjoyed it. Can understand that their style of pizza might not be for everyone and it does start to go cold very quickly but I put it in the oven for a few minutes when I got home and it tasted pretty decent.

My one grievance was that I ordered from their website, with my pizza costing 17 euro. The next day I noticed that they had a Just Eat account so had a look at the same pizza that I ordered the night previously for only 15 euro! Just a word of warning for anyone out there, seems that the prices on their website are typically a euro or so more :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone know of any places doing meal deals for Valentine's day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

siblers wrote: »

Market Lane.

https://twitter.com/market_lane/status/1356258052912128001

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

I see VeganKO have opened on Kyle Street - a vegan, fast food, takeaway.
    They had a food truck in Drew's service station, Kinsale Road, previously.

It's mostly fake meat products - burgers, kebabs, hot dogs etc.

I'm not really that interested in fake meat stuff but I plan to give it a go.
    I did try to give it a go on Friday but with their start up teething problems, there was a 15 minute wait for a burger.

I'm sorry, VeganKO, I know you've only just opened but waiting 15 minutes for a takeaway burger is not acceptable to me. Hopefully, I'll get around to you when you've settled in.

I've tried VeganKO twice now, first time was the Lamb-style kebab which I wasn't that impressed with, earlier this week I had their Beyond Meat burger which was definitely more to my taste. That being said I can't see myself heading back there very much.

Staff were friendly both times & the wait time from ordering to getting the food was probably not much more than five mins.

Hope anybody who's vegan is supporting it as was very quite there at lunchtime yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spideoige wrote: »
    Ordered Palmento at the weekend and really enjoyed it. Can understand that their style of pizza might not be for everyone and it does start to go cold very quickly but I put it in the oven for a few minutes when I got home and it tasted pretty decent.

My one grievance was that I ordered from their website, with my pizza costing 17 euro. The next day I noticed that they had a Just Eat account so had a look at the same pizza that I ordered the night previously for only 15 euro! Just a word of warning for anyone out there, seems that the prices on their website are typically a euro or so more :mad:

Thats strange as I find prices are always better directly from the restaurant/takeaway than just eat/deliveroo.

Pen Rua wrote: »

Saucey enough, 50 euros for 2 main, 2 desserts and some sides.

Naturally Nourished are doing a meal deal for Val's day too - check it out on FB/Insta

• Advertisement

Agreed. And it's cook at home. I was thinking about doing it, but I don't think I can justify the cost of it.

Naturally Nourished are doing a meal deal for Val's day too - check it out on FB/Insta

68 euros for a meal for two. Their food is nice but jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Naturally nourished seems steep enough at that price alright! Market Lane at 50e isn't too bad for what you're getting

Be interesting to see what glass curtain and come up with or even docklands

68 euros for a meal for two. Their food is nice but jaysus

gee i hadn't seen the price - yeah that is steep ekk...

Market lane much better so far...

I had a look at Glass Curtain - their finish-at-home menu is between €40-€50 at the moment, which appears to be just main, sides & dessert for two. No mention of Valentine's specials.

Greene's is between €40-€49 depending what you go for, and again seems to be starter, main & sides. No dessert, but they do include truffles & "a small gift" (no idea what it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Da Mirco has a three course "Italian feast" at the weekends for €45 and a Valentine's special with four courses for €60. I haven't tried any of their stuff at home yet but the food in the restaurant was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

That's what I thought too, it's basically an early bird menu, that you have to cook/reheat at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I had a look at Glass Curtain - their finish-at-home menu is between €40-€50 at the moment, which appears to be just main, sides & dessert for two. No mention of Valentine's specials.

They're definitely doing one for the 13th & 14th. No prices yet, but I'd expect a premium. Their new years eve menu was 85 (and was well worth I felt).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭PreCocious

We got something similar from Market Lane before Christmas. Bacon Collar or Game Pie, spuds, cauliflower and red cabbage, and brownie or tart for dessert. The portions were massive and we had enough spud & veg for next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Naturally Nourished need to be careful they are not losing the run of themselves!

They made their name in City Gate for being a decent, somewhat healthy, nicely priced lunch option.

Since they opened in Penrose I get the feeling they are ripping people off with different ideas. Understand its tricky at present, but still....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement