Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find it interesting that people decide to categorise food into essential and non essential.
    For example, people really seem to like to think that Mc Donald's cannot be essential.

But the reality is that it's all food. What one person makes might consider essential, I may not consume at all.
    For instance, if I never had milk, tea, white bread or cornflakes again, I couldn't care less but many people would consider these essential items.

Food is food. We can't go putting it into "essential" and "non-essential" categories
    -it's too subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

opus wrote: »
    Well within my range so shall investigate at some stage.

Don't think there's any hot food, just sandwiches, cakes, pastries, tea/coffee/hot chocolate - still though, nice to have something like that relatively close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

awe now people i think we have to call a spade a spade...

Like, sure - its ok to go beyond 5km for a take away if there are no take aways within your own 5km... (if you don't have time to cook or what ever)

but i don't think its ok to travel say 10km to get a specific take away if you pass a number of places within your 5km area..

same would apply to a supermarket or what ever.. unless there was something specific and essential that you could not get within your own 5km..

but i guess some people will just believe what they want to..

but to me its common sense... solidarity too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Exactly right sporina. We all understand the intention of these guidelines, to limit your movement to a minimum.

If you're in the countryside and the nearest shop/food is 20km away, of course that's fine. If you're in the city, stay in your area.
    Looking for loopholes and nitpicking about what's essential or non-essential is completely missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

It's going off topic but I think this is the problem with the guidelines.

People are clinging to them and pushing the guidelines to the limit.

The general goal at the moment is to stay at home, stay away from people.

Getting a takeaway 15km away, even if you're allowed, is not within the spirit of things. IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Mardyke wrote: »

Getting a takeaway 15km away, even if you're allowed, is not within the spirit of things. IMO.

Will we continue this discussion in the COVID thread? :D:pac:

Mardyke wrote: »

good points but i think the guidelines are fine - (restrict movements/contacts - travel when its essential) - i think the problem is with people and their attitudes..

but i'll say no more on that... best not make this a covid thread

Dinner from Cafe Velo / Velo Burger this evening, via Just Eat.

Good value (€13.50 each for burger, fries & drink) plus delivery. Delivery took a bit, but I suspect he had other drop offs before us.

The food was really well done. A step above Wowburger & other chains. Fries were similar to chipper chips and relatively maintained their crisp (often a problem with delivery fries).

Meat was good quality and all tasted great. The patty I had was maybe half the size of the bun so the ratio was off, but that’s a finicky complaint.

Overall, good value, okay delivery time & great quality meal.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Dinner from Cafe Velo / Velo Burger this evening, via Just Eat.

Good value (€13.50 each for burger, fries & drink) plus delivery. Delivery took a bit, but I suspect he had other drop offs before us.

The food was really well done. A step above Wowburger & other chains. Fries were similar to chipper chips and relatively maintained their crisp (often a problem with delivery fries).

Meat was good quality and all tasted great. The patty I had was maybe half the size of the bun so the ratio was off, but that’s a finicky complaint.

Overall, good value, okay delivery time & great quality meal.

didn't know Cafe Velo wer doing this...

sporina wrote: »
    didn't know Cafe Velo wer doing this...

It’s marked as “New” on Just Eat. They also have pizza, but this is done via a different listing on Just Eat so you can’t order from both in one transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had fish and chips from Sea Salt again.
    Very good again.
    I'd describe the portion as generous as opposed to the outrageously large portion of fish we got the last time.
    Cod, hake, haddock or scampi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

How are folks pre-ordering for O'Reilly's food truck again? Can't find a website - Google just gives me Bandon, or the "other" O'Reilly's

RINO87 wrote: »
    How are folks pre-ordering for O'Reilly's food truck again? Can't find a website - Google just gives me Bandon, or the "other" O'Reilly's

https://www.oreillysfoodcourt.ie/

you can order on line or call them.. let us know how you get on - enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

leahyl wrote: »
    Don't think there's any hot food, just sandwiches, cakes, pastries, tea/coffee/hot chocolate - still though, nice to have something like that relatively close :)

A friend of mine likes to organise what he calls an urban hike at w/ends so headed that direction today. Make sure & take you coffee to the terrace behind the truck as some terrific views of the city from there.

Like you said a small selection of stuff but worth the uphill walk for the view.

542309.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

A friend of mine likes to organise what he calls an urban hike at w/ends so headed that direction today. Make sure & take you coffee to the terrace behind the truck as some terrific views of the city from there.

Like you said a small selection of stuff but worth the uphill walk for the view.
    P
    542309.jpg

Where is that?

Near the train station?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

fin12 wrote: »
    Where is that?

Near the train station?

Looks like the back of the Montenotte hotel.

Montenotte Hotel food truck.

https://www.oreillysfoodcourt.ie/

you can order on line or call them.. let us know how you get on - enjoy

Thank you. It was feckin' gorgeous!! Contender for the nicest chips we've ever had really! OH had the 4oz bacon burger and i had the 6oz cheese burger. So so so good. Top marks all round, and they threw us in a free potato pie :)

Thank you. It was feckin' gorgeous!! Contender for the nicest chips we've ever had really! OH had the 4oz bacon burger and i had the 6oz cheese burger. So so so good. Top marks all round, and they threw us in a free potato pie :)

oh wow - great to hear - have had my dinner but again - mouth is watering..

did you have any of their "hot sauce"? its made in house - soo soo good - smokey and sweet and spicy - they have a chef working for them.. really is good stuff.. they might have a retail version of it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Son of a Bun were very busy last night, seems they really struggle to keep up with takeaway orders at the weekend. Took almost an hour to get through to them on the phone and I called around 6, before peak time. When I arrived to collect my order there were people who had come to order in person as they couldn't get through on the phone but staff were insistant that they'd have to just keep trying the phone lines.

Food was fab as always but unfortunately they left out one of our sides that we had paid for and obviously couldn't get through on the phone to tell them about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

542309.jpg

Great shot! You've inspired me to make the walk up there for a hot chocolate this afternoon! :)

oh wow - great to hear - have had my dinner but again - mouth is watering..

did you have any of their "hot sauce"? its made in house - soo soo good - smokey and sweet and spicy - they have a chef working for them.. really is good stuff.. they might have a retail version of it soon

Big fans of hot sauces here but we didn't get it, no. Didn't see the option when ordering the burgers - that said the customisations and options that you can do with the burgers on the website is pretty cool.

We shall get them next time!

Big fans of hot sauces here but we didn't get it, no. Didn't see the option when ordering the burgers - that said the customisations and options that you can do with the burgers on the website is pretty cool.

We shall get them next time!

Yeah you can add/subtract what ever you like really.. (i got my chicken creole wrap without the chips in it)..
    The aioli is really nice too..
    Yeah the website is great that way - just wish it had a collection time function.. Hence I just ring them.. to get it as fresh as possible without waiting around either lol

I got the chicken Groujon burger from sober lane, didn’t really like it. Think I’ll just stick to the Groujons and boozy milkshakes in future.

I got the chicken Groujon burger from sober lane, didn’t really like it. Think I’ll just stick to the Groujons and boozy milkshakes in future.

awe shame - yeah the goujons with some aioli are just perfect imo - sometimes less is more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭ThePott

Don't you know what thread you're in?

DigitalDamagedHyracotherium-small.gif

ThePott wrote: »
    Don't you know what thread you're in?

DigitalDamagedHyracotherium-small.gif

Yes haha and I said I’m still going to get the chicken goujons...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Got the Squealer from K.Cs. It ended up going into the bin, there was so much BBQ sauce it was inedible

siblers wrote: »
    Anyone know of any places doing meal deals for Valentine's day?

Did you decide on somewhere for Valentine's day?
    Saw yesterday that Naturally Nourished sold out.. wouldn't be for us but glad they are doing well.. i like their cafe's and not easy for them opening up on Penrose Dock during these times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Got fish & chips from Sea Salt. Very good. Lovely fresh fish.

The transaction came up on my revolut as Cafe Velo.

Are they related?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement