Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options
1329330331332333335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

The worst ever meal I had happened to be in the Cornstore 6 years ago.

I went for pasta penne, and it was literally plain penne pasta shapes with the stingiest bit of cheese at the very bottom of the plate.
    That's it!
    It was the most bland meal I ever had in my life anywhere.

I went back there with family a second time and was better,.but going to McDonalds would be a better experience to that first meal I had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Has anyone gone to Cornstore recently like the last 3 months and can actually post an UP TO DATE REVIEW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

fin12 wrote: »
    Has anyone gone to Cornstore recently like the last 3 months and can actually post an UP TO DATE REVIEW
    Out of 10 recent reviews on trip advisor , all but 1 positive. Pretty good for a place said to avoid at all costs.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186600-d1205587-Reviews-Cornstore-Cork_County_Cork.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Between cornstore and sober lane goujons this threads a wild ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

siblers wrote: »
    It's when when you pay restaurant prices but then have to go to the effort of putting it together. There's no savings for the customer, in fact it feels like prices are constantly going up. It's very expensive for what you get

I think that's unfair to the restaurants, who are trying to stay relevant and keep people aware of who they are, with the doors firmly locked by this pandemic, in the hope they can make a living afterwards. I see them doing these take-home boxes, online cooking classes, larder sets with custom spice blends, flavoured oils, preserves like peperonata, constantly updating their social media and websites. Matched wines, customised cocktails. They also provide the pre-curated music from the restaurant, linked for you to stream, and guided videos of how to plate like they do.

Even the packing is so well thought through, all identified as compostable or recyclable, printed cards with QR codes to the videos and music, carefully edited clear instructions. Boxes all neatly numbered. People expect all that prep work for free? :confused:

It's also not restaurant prices. Around 50 quid for 3 courses for 2 people from Greenes, Cafe Paradiso or Glass Curtain. 40 euro for 2 courses for 2 people. Those are high end places in the city. I don't know how often you ate there before lockdown, but 25 euro a head is not those restaurant prices, not by any stretch. We've have a few of them, and all have been outstanding. Genuinely brightened our days, memorable meals for our special occasions like birthdays.

I know they did fancier offerings for valentines day, but that's a different thing.

The effort of putting it together is taking it out of the box and putting it on a plate in the right order. Stirring a sauce while something heats for 10 mins. Bar them rocking up to your table, serving you personally, while you whip them harder for not groveling low enough, I don't know what else they could provide for that money.

It's not supposed to be a savings scheme. It's restaurant quality food. Not expected to be competing with a chippy or your local tesco. That's a different market.

When the complaints about that service come from people who haven't even bothered trying it? I don't know where to start ...
    I've family in London, who are on waiting lists for the kind of take-home restaurant offering we get here in Cork. And Cork people turn their noses up at the idea of it, drolling over a box of chicken nuggets instead. We're spoilt here I tell ya.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    I think that's unfair to the restaurants, who are trying to stay relevant and keep people aware of who they are, with the doors firmly locked by this pandemic, in the hope they can make a living afterwards. I see them doing these take-home boxes, online cooking classes, larder sets with custom spice blends, flavoured oils, preserves like peperonata, constantly updating their social media and websites. Matched wines, customised cocktails. They also provide the pre-curated music from the restaurant, linked for you to stream, and guided videos of how to plate like they do.

Even the packing is so well thought through, all identified as compostable or recyclable, printed cards with QR codes to the videos and music, carefully edited clear instructions. Boxes all neatly numbered. People expect all that prep work for free? :confused:.....

No one expects anything for free but folk can decide the restaurant at home experience isn't worth the cost and state that's their opinion.

Nothing to be confused about.... Especially if they are happy with their own culinary abilities to rustle up something special.

Lots of what you mention is neither typical nor wanted by most folk dining out at home so folk most definitely don't want to pay for it.

The post you replied to the poster mentioned nothing about nuggets do directing that at them is uncalled for.

Are you a wannabe hyacinth bouquet with the family in London spiel?

Augeo wrote: »
    No one expects anything for free but folk can decide the restaurant at home experience isn't worth the cost and state that's their opinion.

Nothing to be confused about.... Especially if they are happy with their own culinary abilities to rustle up something special.

Lots of what you mention is neither typical nor wanted by most folk dining out at home so folk most definitely don't want to pay for it.

The post you replied to the poster mentioned nothing about nuggets do directing that at them is uncalled for.

Are you a wannabe hyacinth bouquet with the family in London spiel?

I agree people can choose what they want.

I'm correcting misunderstandings, if people think they are getting a pile of raw veg and meat and a book, that't not it. It's pre-cooked, you reheat it.

I agree people can choose what they want.

I'm correcting misunderstandings, if people think they are getting a pile of raw veg and meat and a book, that't not it. It's pre-cooked, you reheat it.

And you can F Right Off with the personal insult.
    Cheers.

There's no misunderstandings to correct, except your interpretation of posts it seems.... no one thought there was raw veg & meat... Where did you get that idea?

There was also no personal insult and there was no need for profanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

fin12 wrote: »
    Do 51 do roast dinner options? Will check out of so.

i'm not sure - only ever had coffee & cake/lunch there..

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭PreCocious

We had the Market Lane Valentine's box and it was really tasty. The highlight for me were the beef ribs. The amount of meat was incredible and they were amazingly tender - definitely something i haven't had success at before (mainly because I don't have the patience to have stuff in the oven for hours).

I don't understand the vitriol about them - they help keep a business going and they give an opportunity to have something different once in a while.

FWIW Market Lane are doing similar for St Patrick's Weekend (according to a sticker on the box).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Samhain wrote: »
    Just finished a the best takeaway I have had in ages, ordered from the Four Liars. We got the Kibbeh the mixed grill. Great quality ingredients, authentic, super tasty and very generous portions. Will definitely be going back.

+1 on this!! It's really good!

Market Lane always wonderful

Augeo wrote: »
    There's no misunderstandings to correct, except your interpretation of posts it seems.... no one thought there was raw veg & meat... Where did you get that idea?

There was also no personal insult and there was no need for profanity.

You're right, apologies for using an offensive letter of the alphabet, I removed it. I reported the name-calling instead.

I think there are misunderstandings though. This is the Restaurant Recommendation thread. I know we are in trying times, but honestly, there is a lot of effort being put into what the restaurants offer, so while every offering isn't for everyone , I think it's nice to discuss what they are offering, rather than dismissing it with a comment about being able to cook well yourself, or it being cheaper to get a take-away.

We all know that, so why go to any restaurant ever?

I've seen no vitriol regarding anything here. Folk are entitled to their opinion without having condescending chicken nugget jibes thrown at them.

You're right, apologies for using an offensive letter of the alphabet, I removed it. I reported the name-calling instead.

I think there are misunderstandings though. This is the Restaurant Recommendation thread. I know we are in trying times, but honestly, there is a lot of effort being put into what the restaurants offer, so while every offering isn't for everyone , I think it's nice to discuss what they are offering, rather than dismissing it with a comment about being able to cook well yourself, or it being cheaper to get a take-away.

You were mentioning 'complaints about that service come from people who haven't even bothered trying it? I don't know where to start ...'.... There were no complaints, someone commented they thought the price was excessive it something along those lines.

It's not a complaint, it's a comment on a discussion forum.

You mention you don't know where to start, you made a very decent attempt in your prolonged condescending post. And the drooling over chicken nuggets jibe was awful IMO.

Well done for having a few quid BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Hooooooooly shiit, people would want to chill out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I am waiting on the mod to lock this as its past its post limit but i really think this thread needs a revamp if it gets a new one.

Dunno is it the lockdown or what but far too many posters having a go at eachother these days over absolutely nothing.

Hope the next one goes a different direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hooooooooly shiit, people would want to chill out!
    sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I am waiting on the mod to lock this as its past its post limit but i really think this thread needs a revamp if it gets a new one.

Dunno is it the lockdown or what but far too many posters having a go at eachother these days over absolutely nothing.

Hope the next one goes a different direction.

I think it is to do with the lockdown.
    It's across all of boards - people getting really fractious - I've been guilty of it myself. I really hate when people try to undermine other posters rather than argue the actual point.

I know I've let arguments and mod actions really upset me recently. Also a thread on here where people were just being horrible really got to me recently.

I think people are lacking human interaction and taking things here to heart to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

"nice" being the operative word!! :)

and to add to my comments, some of the main reasons I go to restaurants is for the social aspect of it, and the pampering... that feeing of being spoiled... food is only part of it...
    I can have great food at home.. but its not always guaranteed when out in a restaurant.. I have had more bad meals out than I have had a home.. thats for sure.. (rarely if ever a bad meal at home tbh)..
    so I will hold off on restaurant type food till we can dine out again..
    I'll continue with certain take aways when needs must.. (time poor/craving something we can't make at home ie: proper chips)

I hope that gives you some clarification

and lets all enjoy our food in what ever way suits us

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I think it is to do with the lockdown.
    It's across all of boards - people getting really fractious - I've been guilty of it myself. I really hate when people try to undermine other posters rather than argue the actual point.

I know I've let arguments and mod actions really upset me recently. Also a thread on here where people were just being horrible really got to me recently.

I think people are lacking human interaction and taking things here to heart to much.

I was going to say, lockdown probably has something do with it.

This page in particular is really taking the piss though, just stuff starting out of nowhere. I'll say no more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thread Closed
    New one here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gaspode wrote: »
    Thread Closed
    New one here

Nope.
    Nice try
    Still open

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Stoopid phone, not built for moderating! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement