Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Recommendations in the city for Pancakes 2morrow? O SHO on Barrack Street doing like a beamish caramel type one anyone recommend anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

fin12 wrote: »
    Recommendations in the city for Pancakes 2morrow? O SHO on Barrack Street doing like a beamish caramel type one anyone recommend anywhere else?

Lab 82 the only place

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

sporina wrote: »
    Did you decide on somewhere for Valentine's day?
    Saw yesterday that Naturally Nourished sold out.. wouldn't be for us but glad they are doing well.. i like their cafe's and not easy for them opening up on Penrose Dock during these times

No we couldn't really find anything that suited. Didn't really fancy paying 50 or 60 euros for something we'd have to cook at home

Think we'll get Lab82!

Very tempted to get the Breakfast from Naturally Nourished . They have a great selection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

siblers wrote: »
    No we couldn't really find anything that suited. Didn't really fancy paying 50 or 60 euros for something we'd have to cook at home

Think we'll get Lab82!

Yeah we are the same - take out for €20-25 for 2 is grand for convenience/something i couldn't make at home like a a good pizza/proper chipper food etc..
    Restaurant type food we can do at home (like, meat, veg, carb etc) and for a fraction of the price.. the convenience doesn't cut it.. and himself is a great cook..

must try Lab 82 when it reopens for dine in..
    siblers wrote: »
    Very tempted to get the Breakfast from Naturally Nourished . They have a great selection

Only had lunches from - all v good - i'm sure b'fast would be lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Just finished a the best takeaway I have had in ages, ordered from the Four Liars. We got the Kibbeh the mixed grill. Great quality ingredients, authentic, super tasty and very generous portions. Will definitely be going back.

Samhain wrote: »
    Just finished a the best takeaway I have had in ages, ordered from the Four Liars. We got the Kibbeh the mixed grill. Great quality ingredients, authentic, super tasty and very generous portions. Will definitely be going back.

super - its gets great review... we had a table booked for there late last year but covid put an end to it.. looking forward to trying it out when we can dine in again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thread is ten years old, where's a Mod, new thread needed?
    Been very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Got fish & chips from Sea Salt. Very good. Lovely fresh fish.

The transaction came up on my revolut as Cafe Velo.

Are they related?

My Revolut has mixed up restaurants before, I went to Liberty Grill and it came up as something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ooh spooky. Ten years old and hit the 10k post limit! :eek:

• Advertisement

Would recommend the cornstore, cork. Food is really nice. Probably one of the nicest takeaways I’ve had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Had the vegetarian valentine's option from naturally nourished, great stuff. Can't wait to get down there for a regular meal.
    Also went to the O'Reilly's food truck, would also recommend, better than the one from tulison petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Would recommend the cornstore, cork. Food is really nice. Probably one of the nicest takeaways I’ve had.

Awful place. Avoid. Its not even the nicest place on Coal Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Restaurant type food we can do at home (like, meat, veg, carb etc) and for a fraction of the price.. the convenience doesn't cut it.. and himself is a great cook..

Not sure if you had a bad experience, but the good finish at home sets I had last summer were a million miles away from meat and two veg.

It's the restaurant quality prep, ingredients, sauces and especially the long slow cooked components like braised lamb neck that we wouldn't normally do when it's just two of us. Might go to that effort for a gang of friends, but those days won't be back for a while. I think it's nice for a treat. Usually the starters and desserts are cold / room temp like seafood salad or pates, and fancy tarts so very low effort. Mains are reheating.

pwurple wrote: »
    Not sure if you had a bad experience, but the good finish at home sets I had last summer were a million miles away from meat and two veg.

It's the restaurant quality prep, ingredients, sauces and especially the long slow cooked components like braised lamb neck that we wouldn't normally do when it's just two of us. Might go to that effort for a gang of friends, but those days won't be back for a while. I think it's nice for a treat. Usually the starters and desserts are cold / room temp like seafood salad or pates, and fancy tarts so very low effort. Mains are reheating.

no not had a bad experience.. just not for us.. its as I said,.. himself is a v v good cook.. just had turkey and ham and all the trimming... love in my belly I tell ya.. and he loves to cook - its his hobby.. (when he has time).. and for a fraction of the price and dinners for tomorrow too..

Harika wrote: »
    Had the vegetarian valentine's option from naturally nourished, great stuff. Can't wait to get down there for a regular meal.
    Also went to the O'Reilly's food truck, would also recommend, better than the one from tulison petrol station.

we have similar taste - where is Tulison?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Mardyke wrote: »
    Awful place. Avoid. Its not even the nicest place on Coal Quay.

Look I’m actually reporting u to a mod, cause this is clearly a personal attack. I got a takeaway and thought it was really nice. Don’t reply to me again.

Harika wrote: »

I found Dacent Munch to be delicious and superb value. Bit of a pain trying to reserve a spot though

pwurple wrote: »

It's when when you pay restaurant prices but then have to go to the effort of putting it together. There's no savings for the customer, in fact it feels like prices are constantly going up. It's very expensive for what you get

• Advertisement

Ignore marydke post, and visit cornstore ur self . Quality of food is very good .

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ignore marydke post, and visit cornstore ur self . Quality of food is very good .

In fairness, whenever someone recommends the cornstore here, there is always a reply or two saying how bad it is. As soon as i saw your post, I knew someone would reply saying it's crap.

I've never had a bad meal there so don't understand the hate it gets. Some people seem to think it is too plain for their exotic tastes or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

Does anyone know if Isaacs are doing takeaways?

Ludo wrote: »
    In fairness, whenever someone recommends the cornstore here, there is always a reply or two saying how bad it is. As soon as i saw your post, I knew someone would reply saying it's crap.

I've never had a bad meal there so don't understand the hate it gets. Some people seem to think it is too plain for their exotic tastes or something.

Well when someone says it’s not even the nicest place on cornmarket. U know they are taking out of their arse. I mean there’s bodega which I really like but it’s mostly burgers and pizza and then Rising sons again pretty much fast food. U get a decent healthy dinner option from cornstore. Where else on cornmarket can u get a roast dinner option. Cocktails are very nice also from cornstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ludo wrote: »

It’s wildly, ridiculously inconsistent; it’s better than it was two years back (when they were running the super cut down menus) but its still no where near when it first opened.

been to The Corn Store twice and wouldn't go back... both bad experiences..

1st visit - 6 of us for dinner - one of the girls order's was cold on arrival - waitress argued with her - then took it away.. came back with it 20 mins later when we had all finished our meals - ruined the event really..

1nd visit.. service v poor again - orders v ah hoc - service v poor in general..

#51 on The Coal Quay is v good - use to be The Parlour.. great ingredients.. fab brunch/lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

As for Cornstore, I had a horrifically bad meal experience there a few years ago and swore I'd never go back. The bruschetta starter one of our group got was soggy, I'd say it was prepared that morning! And that wasn't the only bad thing...

That in itself I'd leave off, but what makes it stand out was the attitude of the manager when we mentioned that we were not pleased with the meal.

I've no idea how they've survived for so long with such poor management.

been to The Corn Store twice and wouldn't go back... both bad experiences..

1st visit - 6 of us for dinner - one of the girls order's was cold on arrival - waitress argued with her - then took it away.. came back with it 20 mins later when we had all finished our meals - ruined the event really..

1nd visit.. service v poor again - orders v ah hoc - service v poor in general..

#51 on The Coal Quay is v good - use to be The Parlour.. great ingredients.. fab brunch/lunch

Do 51 do roast dinner options? Will check out of so.

• Advertisement

Well when someone says it’s not even the nicest place on cornmarket. U know they are taking out of their arse. ....

For someone sensitive of personal attacks you don't hold back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement