Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

ThePott wrote: »
    Am I crazy or is there about four places working out of Captain Americas at the moment?

Wowburger. Dollard Pizza. Captian America's itself and now Double 8.

Wowburger, Dollard Pizza are Captain America's are all part of the same group. Not sure about Double 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

siblers wrote: »
    You can get 20 wings from The Golden Fry for a fiver and they are really nice.
    g

I'd love to see reliable evidence of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭ThePott

Wowburger, Dollard Pizza are Captain America's are all part of the same group. Not sure about Double 8.
    What do you mean same group exactly? They use the same kitchen is what I mean but they operate independently, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

ThePott wrote: »
    What do you mean same group exactly? They use the same kitched is what I mean but they operate independently, no?

They are all part of the Press Up Group.

https://pressup.ie/restaurants/

Double 8 isn’t listed there but one would assume it is also part of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

whats all this about ghost kitchens and captain america's .. dollard pizza, double 8 (??), wow burger and where ever else?

sounds like a strange set up - news to me though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I thought Wowburger closed down....or maybe there was another burger place in there before.

sporina wrote: »
    whats all this about ghost kitchens and captain america's .. dollard pizza, double 8 (??), wow burger and where ever else?
    Yeah even though they have the same owners or whatever this still seems very strange and uncommon.

They also own the new Dean Hotel.

They also own the new Dean Hotel.

gee how bizarre (to me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I eat sushi from Dunnes Stones. It was poor at the start but its actually not too bad now.

Miyazaki has been hit and miss for me lately. The sushi package is nice but overpriced. Some other dishes were underwhelming but the mackerel dish is always very nice.

Im over deliveroo. It always comes too much money. The fare should be calculated on distance and not a blanket cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

gee how bizarre (to me anyway)

It's a common enough set up in the UK I think.

It's the Amazon fulfillment center model, but for food.

Most of those chain places are similar process, you can put it anywhere there is demand.. The processing plants send them the frozen bread, meat etc. The have vats of the sauces. The kitchen is effectively an assembly line making identical orders over and over again. Connect drliveroo as the order machine and delivery mechanism on top. Done.

pwurple wrote: »

Most of those chain places are similar process, you can put it anywhere there is demand.. The processing plants send them the frozen bread, meat etc. The have vats of the sauces. The kitchen is effectively an assembly line making identical orders over and over again. Connect drliveroo as the order machine and delivery mechanism on top. Done.
    I get the impression that you can collect from South Main Street, too.
    I wonder what the customer interface is like.

Has anyone collected from there?

Customer interface is exactly the same as any other chain place I'd imagine? Minimum wage order taker, non-descript, wearing a uniform of some kind. Pleasant and inoffensive. Maybe they overlay a "brand" of behaviour on top, to give it some fake personaility. Like writing an incorrectly spelled name on a cup. Or crouch at your table for orders, or have upselling procedures.

As pwurple mentions it's just mass produced, frozen and distributed stuff lashed out to outlets for thawing and assembly.

At anything over McDonalds prices it's a total rip off IMO. There won't be anything approaching a chef on-site :)

Customer interface is exactly the same as any other chain place I'd imagine? Minimum wage order taker, non-descript, wearing a uniform of some kind. Pleasant and inoffensive. Maybe they overlay a "brand" of behaviour on top, to give it some fake personaility. Like writing an incorrectly spelled name on a cup. Or crouch at your table for orders, or have upselling procedures.

I meant, how does it work with the one location but so many different menus and brands.

Which uniform would they wear, for instance?

Can you order from 3 different brands in the one order? etc.

I really don't know what your post was trying to achieve. Perhaps some will think you clever.

I collected some Dollard pizza from there. From what I could tell the restaurant itself was just Captain Americas, I think that was the uniform too.
    Could be mistaken but that's from what I remember in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Joes and bros evening menu also returning from Thursday, unsure about delivery their lunch has been collection only but either way glad to see their evening menu return!

They're up on Just Eat, Thurs - Sun. What's the consensus of them? Eyeing them up for the weekend (I know - it's only Mon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

We had Four Liars on Saturday evening, for the first time since late summer/autumn. I don't know why we don't get food from here more often, it's really good!

We had lamb Farkia with bulgar wheat, peas, spices, nuts, salad, bread etc
    and
    CharGrilled Shish Taouq - Marinated, charcoal cooked chicken - came in bread on a bed of grilled veg and a bunch of chopped herbs, that I couldn't put my finger on - no matter, it tasted great. This also came with Salad, Hummus, pilau rice, more bread and Yogurt

We had ordered Baba Ghanouj also, as we did not expect to get so much with our mains - the portion was massive, there's some still in the fridge, again it was super tasty.

Ordered for collection on Just Eat - we picked a time for collection, I arrived a couple of minutes early, and had to wait a couple of minutes - which means thy had the timing bang on.

Overall an astonishing amount of really good food for less than €40 - we cannot wait until they are open for sit down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I'm standing outside there now and there is no sign of its existence.

Sorry for being slow coming back - it is a weird setup yeah, the downstairs unit (ex Wagamama and Wowburger) which will house Double 8, Coo Coo and Rice has not been refurbed yet and separate phone lines not installed, but are open and selling take-away by online order. When I got there it looked completely closed and went up to Captain Americas but they said its open just push the door - inside its the old Wow Burger unit. My receipt said Press-Up Eats so not sure if unit will be called that or have the three names over the door.

Upstairs is still Captain Americas unchanged but they also now sell Dollard Pizza, Elephant and Castle and Wow Burger from there (and will do them for sit down in addition to Captain Americas food when thats a thing). I also hear theyre changing SUAS to Queen of Rebels or something.

But yes theyre one group that have a lot of 'brands', some that repeat and some that are one offs. Hopefully some of these graduate out to have their own units in the city centre

Pen Rua wrote: »
    They're up on Just Eat, Thurs - Sun. What's the consensus of them? Eyeing them up for the weekend (I know - it's only Mon!)

I'm a fan, have enjoy Notorious PIG for breakfasty/brunch stuff and evening burgers are very hefty. Battered sausage is a meal in itself I got on the side but was too much with the burger. Havent had much dessert stuff from them but it looks good

• Advertisement

thanks for the info...
    sounds a bit grim though - no disrespect to anyone who avails of the service - but its not for me

I meant, how does it work with the one location but so many different menus and brands.

Which uniform would they wear, for instance?

Can you order from 3 different brands in the one order? etc.

I really don't know what your post was trying to achieve. Perhaps some will think you clever.

In Captain Americas they just wear Captain Americas stuff but you can order from Wow Burger, Dollard, E&C etc. Downstairs as I say was still really early so staff were wearing civvies and the place was pre-refurb.

Yeah its a good point, you cant order everything in one order which is dumb, have to go to seperate sites or Just-Eat profile or whatever, which is crap if, say, you want to have E&C wings with Wow Burger garlic butter fries but the fries dont meet the minimum order - this happened to me recently and I just called and asked to add them onto my online E&C order and pay when I got there and that was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

bingo9999 wrote: »
    But yes theyre one group that have a lot of 'brands', some that repeat and some that are one offs. Hopefully some of these graduate out to have their own units in the city centre

I hope not, I'm already spooked with the amount they've snapped up in a short time.

They own fuccking half of Dublin seemingly, I have no interest in that kind of thing happening to Cork

I hope not, I'm already spooked with the amount they've snapped up in a short time.

They own fuccking half of Dublin seemingly, I have no interest in that kind of thing happening to Cork

Better than empty units in my book which is what we have a saturation of

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

RINO87 wrote: »
    We had Four Liars on Saturday evening, for the first time since late summer/autumn. I don't know why we don't get food from here more often, it's really good!

We had lamb Farkia with bulgar wheat, peas, spices, nuts, salad, bread etc
    and
    CharGrilled Shish Taouq - Marinated, charcoal cooked chicken - came in bread on a bed of grilled veg and a bunch of chopped herbs, that I couldn't put my finger on - no matter, it tasted great. This also came with Salad, Hummus, pilau rice, more bread and Yogurt

We had ordered Baba Ghanouj also, as we did not expect to get so much with our mains - the portion was massive, there's some still in the fridge, again it was super tasty.

Ordered for collection on Just Eat - we picked a time for collection, I arrived a couple of minutes early, and had to wait a couple of minutes - which means thy had the timing bang on.

Overall an astonishing amount of really good food for less than €40 - we cannot wait until they are open for sit down again.

That sounds really good , and a bit different too ,
    If I was living in the city I'd be in trying that ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

thanks for the info...
    sounds a bit grim though - no disrespect to anyone who avails of the service - but its not for me

I'd imagine plenty of places you happily eat from but in most of their food prepared.
    It's really very common.

I'd imagine plenty of places you happily eat from but in most of their food prepared........

Sober Lane goujons? :pac:

I'd imagine plenty of places you happily eat from but in most of their food prepared.
    It's really very common.

i don't think so - i could name on one hand the number of take out places I eat from.. Novecento, The Golden Elephant and Sober Lane - and really only once in a blue moon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Said we'd try something different than our usual Inidan Thali. Got Mirch Masala, nice but not a scratch on Thali. The naan bread was so dry, it just broke apart.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info...

Yeah, not really my bag either.

But in fairness lots of people like consistency in food, where their previous burger is exactly the same as the next. I don't mind a bit of human variation there. It meets that demand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement