Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Bocellis or Il Padrino for an Italian.

Since pubs restaurants reopened, I’ve been to a good few of them. Namely Dwyers, Sober Lane, Clancys, The Oliver Plunkett, Brick Lane, Soho, Reardens, and The Raven.

I have to say that everywhere bar Reardens was really well run and all completely enforced all the rules.
    Reardens (the night I was there at least) was badly run, overcrowded and disorganised.
    They didn’t make us get food and no one tried to move us along after our time was up.
    They were extremely understaffed so we only managed to get two rounds of drinks during our allotted time. We had a booking but they had given our table away, and then tried to sit a group of 6 of us side by side along the bar, which was really disappointing as we were sat so far apart we couldn’t even hear each other.
    It just wasn’t a good experience.

I did find that if I booked a table for around 8:30/9, most venues are now closing at 11/11:30, so they’d leave you stay for the extra half hour to finish your drinks.
    But the lights are on, no music etc so maybe not quite what you’re looking for.

The Guards are crawling town every weekend and doing spot checks everywhere so I don’t think many of them will get away with breaking the rules even if they wanted to. The night I was in Brick Lane two different sets of guards came in for a look over the space of 2 hours, that’s how thorough they’re being.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Rossini is overpriced poor food IMHO

I've only been to franciscan well and fionnbarra.
    Measures were in place and well managed.

I won't be going out now much as I think it's not really right. And if I do want to go for food, it will be to a restaurant, not a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Are they still doing outside dining on princes street? Do you get much hassle from junkies when sitting outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are they still doing outside dining on princes street? Do you get much hassle from junkies when sitting outside?

Hadnt noticed many junkies there, but I've only passed by a few times , a bit weather dependent maybe ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

whatever76 wrote: »
    Re Italian - cant go wrong with https://www.damirco.ie/

It's not a cheap italian restaurant , but the food is good ( well ,it was the 2 times I've eaten there )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Markcheese wrote: »
    Hadnt noticed many junkies there, but I've only passed by a few times , a bit weather dependent maybe ?

For the most part they dont bother coming down, its usually too busy and watched over by the staff of everywhere who, you would think, might move them on. I think I saw one guy getting started on the Quinlans end but after the outer most row of tables turned around. Could be weather dependent in that it is probably crowd dependent yeah. If its a concern to going I wouldnt worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Il Padrino been recommended, I really thought this thread knew good food. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I have to say that everywhere bar Reardens was really well run and all completely enforced all the rules.
    Reardens (the night I was there at least) was badly run, overcrowded and disorganised.
    They didn’t make us get food and no one tried to move us along after our time was up.
    They were extremely understaffed so we only managed to get two rounds of drinks during our allotted time. We had a booking but they had given our table away, and then tried to sit a group of 6 of us side by side along the bar, which was really disappointing as we were sat so far apart we couldn’t even hear each other.
    It just wasn’t a good experience.

I did find that if I booked a table for around 8:30/9, most venues are now closing at 11/11:30, so they’d leave you stay for the extra half hour to finish your drinks.
    But the lights are on, no music etc so maybe not quite what you’re looking for.

That's a fairly bad night out.

Not meaning to contradict your experience, but we had a pretty good time the night we were there. It was a Friday, if that makes a difference? Or perhaps indoors/outdoors are different, or different servers are better?

Booked table for six (and we got it! :) ) the service for us was constant almost to the point of being pestered. Table was too small for 6, but we managed. They weren't tooo strict on the time limit, but we didn't go too far over. There was obviously no mingling between tables, but our group was happy enough on our own.

It's still a weird experience being out, but I think mental health needs to be taken care of too. We definitely needed the night out.

who_me wrote: »
    That's a fairly bad night out.

Not meaning to contradict your experience, but we had a pretty good time the night we were there. It was a Friday, if that makes a difference? Or perhaps indoors/outdoors are different, or different servers are better?

Booked table for six (and we got it! :) ) the service for us was constant almost to the point of being pestered. Table was too small for 6, but we managed. They weren't tooo strict on the time limit, but we didn't go too far over. There was obviously no mingling between tables, but our group was happy enough on our own.

It's still a weird experience being out, but I think mental health needs to be taken care of too. We definitely needed the night out.

Ours was a Saturday, maybe we just caught them on a bad night but it was mayhem in there.
    Not in the sense of being packed to the rafters (though they were overcrowded), but more in the sense that all the staff that we came into contact with were running around like headless chickens and were highly stressed.

I can’t say anyone was outright rude to us but we felt like nuisances.
    I would have been a somewhat regular in there pre-covid and always found their staff to be really friendly and helpful, even when super busy, so I can only assume they’re still coming to terms with all the new procedures.

Maybe I’ll try again in a few weeks and see if there’s any improvement, it wouldn’t put me off the place forever, I just thought other places were managing the new rules better in the sense that a night out in other venues felt more normal and more like the pre-covid days.

Agree with you on it being a weird experience and needing to let off steam for mental health reasons. I go out about twice a week, partly for my own sanity and partly to support local.
    I won’t be be stopping unless the government closes them again, which hopefully won’t happen again.

• Advertisement

Going to Four Liars this evening!

Will post my review.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Going to Four Liars this evening!

Will post my review.

Lamb kofta.

This was quite simple and nice, if a bit bland.
    Very friendly staff.

Would try again.

IMG-20200826-184255.jpg

IMG-20200826-184338.jpg

Large Arabic coffee.

IMG-20200826-192632.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

I'd say you would have no hassle on princes Street not with Monty and Clare Nash involved, junkies seem to stick to Oliver plunkett street.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

I have lived in Cork for over 40 years and was never hassled by any "junkies".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Lamb kofta.

I thought it was a bit bland as well. I mean the flavours were there but it wasn't spicy. I will ask for a bit o' spice next time or some sort of chilli sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lamb kofta.

Very friendly staff.

Would try again.

Pretty much exactly my experience, too.

I was going to wait until I went again to report.

Nothing was bad, just as you said, a bit bland.
    More lemon, more garlic, more fresh herbs and good spices, please. Just more zing, more flavour, please.

I'm definitely going to try it again, though.
    Their baba ghanoush is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ate in my beloved orso last night

I know it’s the new normal and all that jazz but it just wasn’t enjoyable. 7.15pm sitting, to be gone by 9. Perfectly fine, it’s the way it is now and actually glad to be able to book orso instead of chancing a table when walking by like we usually do!
    I don’t know is it the way my brain is melted these days but the menu is confusing. It’s a tapas menu now as opposed to the full menu as before. We ordered a few things, some were forgotten and had to ask again. The waitress kept coming over taking plates even though we hadn’t finished. Had to actually ask her to leave plates as we wernt finished. It just felt so rushed even though we had plenty of time, it wasn’t like it was close to 9 or anything.
    We ended up leaving at half 8 as it just wasn’t enjoyable.

I’d understand if this was the first wkend orso is opened but it’s been open a few weeks now. I totally get things are different now and restaurants are doing the best they can but felt last night was just not worth it.

I went to Perry St cafe over the weekend and I wish it wasn’t so bloody inconsistent.
    When it’s good it amazing, but when it’s bad, it’s awful.

Not for the first time, my sandwich was just thrown together with very little care, with an almost untraceable amount of spread on the bread, making it very very dry and very hard to chew and swallow. They also forgot to bring us water (which we did ask for) which made it even harder to eat.
    Our coffees came out about 10 minutes after the food which was annoying too.
    This isn’t the first time it’s happened either. When the ingredients are all proportionate it’s absolutely delicious and among the best sandwiches in town, but the last few times I’ve just not enjoyed it at all because very little effort seems to go into the preparation. It’s just so dry and chewy.

It’s a shame because as I said, when it’s good, it’s amazing. It used to be one of my very favourites in town but I’ve gone 3 times since lockdown ended and it’s been the same each time, so inconsistent.
    I’ll be reluctant to go back in a hurry.

Bad management Susie.
    I hope the owners view this forum!

But anyway, (sorry Claire) Nash 19. I ordered a iced latte, €3.5 or thereabouts fair enough. My nephew ordered the same, but on the bill it came up as an iced coffee, €6.5.

I think my parents got two teas for something like €7.

Ridiculous pricing, buts that's OK as long as you know, but the faulty charging puts me off.

Front house staff are lovely though, best wishes to the Aussie girl on her last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I went to Perry St cafe over the weekend and I wish it wasn’t so bloody inconsistent.
    When it’s good it amazing, but when it’s bad, it’s awful.

I've never been to the one in town, but the one in Blackpool Business Park is extremely inconsistent as well - except for the Full Perry Fry, which is always disappointing.

• Advertisement

I see VeganKO have opened on Kyle Street - a vegan, fast food, takeaway.
    They had a food truck in Drew's service station, Kinsale Road, previously.

It's mostly fake meat products - burgers, kebabs, hot dogs etc.

I'm not really that interested in fake meat stuff but I plan to give it a go.
    I did try to give it a go on Friday but with their start up teething problems, there was a 15 minute wait for a burger.

I'm sorry, VeganKO, I know you've only just opened but waiting 15 minutes for a takeaway burger is not acceptable to me. Hopefully, I'll get around to you when you've settled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I did try to give it a go on Friday but with their start up teething problems, there was a 15 minute wait for a burger.

I'm sorry, VeganKO, I know you've only just opened but waiting 15 minutes for a takeaway burger is not acceptable to me. Hopefully, I'll get around to you when you've settled in.

Its very good infairness, like a vegan bunsen

rob316 wrote: »
    Its very good infairness, like a vegan bunsen

I'd agree with this.
    No 15 minute wait this time - was served very promptly. As good a meat free burger as I've had.
    They could, perhaps, work on giving off a more friendly vibe, though.

Rfrip wrote: »
    Ate in my beloved orso last night

I know it’s the new normal and all that jazz but it just wasn’t enjoyable. 7.15pm sitting, to be gone by 9. Perfectly fine, it’s the way it is now and actually glad to be able to book orso instead of chancing a table when walking by like we usually do!
    I don’t know is it the way my brain is melted these days but the menu is confusing. It’s a tapas menu now as opposed to the full menu as before. We ordered a few things, some were forgotten and had to ask again. The waitress kept coming over taking plates even though we hadn’t finished. Had to actually ask her to leave plates as we wernt finished. It just felt so rushed even though we had plenty of time, it wasn’t like it was close to 9 or anything.
    We ended up leaving at half 8 as it just wasn’t enjoyable.

I’d understand if this was the first wkend orso is opened but it’s been open a few weeks now. I totally get things are different now and restaurants are doing the best they can but felt last night was just not worth it.

Funnily enough it was my first time back there (for an evening meal) in months too, earlier the same day.

Found the new menu a bit confusing too, but muddled through it. They recommended picking maybe 3 dishes per person, but the portions were pretty small, I definitely had to go for a fourth. Very happy with what I ordered (lamb chops, beef kofta, and gunpowder potatoes), very simple but tasty. I've rarely tried tapas-like places, but I think a selection of varied dishes suits me better than a single massive serving. Definitely will try it again.

Never had problems with the staff there, but I think there was a new server; I hadn't seen her before anyway. I have to admit - I have less problems with slowish service than I do with being rushed off the table; that's one thing that would really bug me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

They had a food truck in Drew's service station, Kinsale Road, previously.

Got a burger there today. Was delicious!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Got a burger there today. Was delicious!

Very tasty, alright.

Had the tasting menu in The Glass Curtain last night.
    Very, very good. I thought the tasting menu was excellent value for money, too.
    Really, high standard of cooking.
    This goes on a very short list of high end restaurants in Cork that I'd happily recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

who_me wrote: »
    Funnily enough it was my first time back there (for an evening meal) in months too, earlier the same day.

Found the new menu a bit confusing too, but muddled through it. They recommended picking maybe 3 dishes per person, but the portions were pretty small, I definitely had to go for a fourth. Very happy with what I ordered (lamb chops, beef kofta, and gunpowder potatoes), very simple but tasty. I've rarely tried tapas-like places, but I think a selection of varied dishes suits me better than a single massive serving. Definitely will try it again.

Never had problems with the staff there, but I think there was a new server; I hadn't seen her before anyway. I have to admit - I have less problems with slowish service than I do with being rushed off the table; that's one thing that would really bug me.

The menu looks good but I'm not a fan of "small plates" /tapas/mezze (at least not here in Ireland), this style of eating seems appeal more to women who think they are watching their weight and don't want to eat too much but invariably end up spending more.
    When any of my women friends suggest tapas instead of a meal it drives me up the walls. I'm a big guy with an appetite to match, don't get me wrong, I'm not shovelling it to me without tasting it, neither am I overweight but a few saucers of nibbles shared with someone is not going to do it for me. In spite of the fact that Spain seems to be the most popular country for Irish people to holiday in I think that many of us don't quite understand tapas, for a start they are rarely more than one or two mouthfuls costing a euro or two each (sometimes free) with a drink to tide you over until dinner, which in Spain can be very late. Here they have morphed into starter sized portions priced accordingly and before you know it you've spent €50 or more when you throw in drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Tapas appeals to me because i love to try different dishes.
    Its certainly not the reason you have said above.
    Think the last time i had tapas we nearly ordered the whole menu because we wanted to try everything,it all sounded so good.

I will be trying the new orso menu soon. Hopefully the serving issue has been sorted

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    The menu looks good but I'm not a fan of "small plates" /tapas/mezze (at least not here in Ireland), this style of eating seems appeal more to women who think they are watching their weight and don't want to eat too much but invariably end up spending more.
    When any of my women friends suggest tapas instead of a meal it drives me up the walls. I'm a big guy with an appetite to match, don't get me wrong, I'm not shovelling it to me without tasting it, neither am I overweight but a few saucers of nibbles shared with someone is not going to do it for me. In spite of the fact that Spain seems to be the most popular country for Irish people to holiday in I think that many of us don't quite understand tapas, for a start they are rarely more than one or two mouthfuls costing a euro or two each (sometimes free) with a drink to tide you over until dinner, which in Spain can be very late. Here they have morphed into starter sized portions priced accordingly and before you know it you've spent €50 or more when you throw in drinks.

Yeah. I mean if you have a big appetite you can order as many dishes as it takes... but it's certainly not cheap if you do that. The dishes range from about 3 euros (gunpowder potatoes) to maybe 12 (lamb chops) so it adds up quickly!

Went back there last weekend, ordered 4 dishes this time, and loved it. Could have licked the plates clean (note to self: in these virusy times, people don't like it if you do that). But it was pricey, and I came away happy but not stuffed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement