Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭sporina

Mardyke wrote: »
    Naturally Nourished need to be careful they are not losing the run of themselves!

They made their name in City Gate for being a decent, somewhat healthy, nicely priced lunch option.

Since they opened in Penrose I get the feeling they are ripping people off with different ideas. Understand its tricky at present, but still....

really? how so? what other ideas?

only been there for lunch/take away stuff.. thought it reasonable.. but the Val's day off is €€..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

siblers wrote: »
    68 euros for a meal for two. Their food is nice but jaysus

In fairness, it does include a bottle of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    In fairness, it does include a bottle of wine.

I think the wine should be optional. Neither of us like wine. It'd be a lot more reasonable if it we could get it without the wine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thompson’s microwbery is opening up for takeaway from this weekend on, i know someone on this thread asked about the nitro red, u can order a growler of nitro red for takeaway.

https://www.thompsonscork.ie/take-out#/restaurant/15983/collection/18473

Know where I’ll be heading this weekend.

Ordering the nitro red only comes up as an option after u order the chicken dinner but not coming up in the list under craft beers. Im just going to contact them re that.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Thompson’s microwbery is opening up for takeaway from this weekend on, i know someone on this thread asked about the nitro red, u can order a growler of nitro red for takeaway.

Ordering the nitro red only comes up as an option after u order the chicken dinner but not coming up in the list under craft beers. Im just going to contact them re that.

No cider on the menu is disappointing!

Boozy milkshakes available from sober lane now aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭RINO87

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think the wine should be optional. Neither of us like wine. It'd be a lot more reasonable if it we could get it without the wine

This x 100

I hate those lunch deals that include a can of Coke, too. I don't like coke!
    Just charge for each thing separately - give the customer the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, I like wine, but I prefer to choose my own wine tyvm. but hey , it's serving a market of people who want the whole package in one easy transaction, they have their place.

That being said, isn't being slightly overcharged the name of the game for valentines day? high demand or higher quality / more effort, whatever it is. Sorry restaurants who put in a big effort, but it's the worst night of the year to go for restaurant fare in my opinion. The cringe level would be astronomical even in normal times with all the couples either vomit-inducingly loved up, or worse, fighting. Too much pressure. Much more fun to cook, even if we mess it up. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

sporina wrote: »
    Dinner from O'Reilly's Food Truck Carraigcrohane Rd last night...

Me - chicken creole wrap (proper chargrilled chicken - had been marinated in cajun spices; wrapped with a little hot sauce and aioli and lettuce) - hmm had that proper chargrilled flavour..
    OH - ham mushroom with peppers (savage pizza.. the tomato sauce was delicious - a bit too cheesy for me but great quality - great base.. delicious)
    Chips to share.. with aioli and hot sauce - proper chips - no nasty old oil after taste.. the hot sauce is yum - smokey, spicy and sweet - gotta get the brand)..

Great service - nice staff... hmm hmm.. highlight of the week
    Not your average chipper food me thinks.. would highly recommend..

After reading about the food truck so much in this thread, I finally succumbed at lunchtime today. Very impressed, €9.30 got me a blue cheese burger, a large portion of tasty chips & a bottle of water. There was more than enough chips to share with a friend who got a wrap. Didn't take too long, probably < 10 mins from ordering to tucking in sitting on a bench by the river. Will definitely be back for more :)

542045.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The Montenotte Hotel have started a food truck today - looks nice, might try it someday as it's not too far from me, go for a walk and pick something up. It's open Wednesday-Sunday 9.30-6.00, I think.

opus wrote: »
    After reading about the food truck so much in this thread, I finally succumbed at lunchtime today. Very impressed, €9.30 got me a blue cheese burger, a large portion of tasty chips & a bottle of water. There was more than enough chips to share with a friend who got a wrap. Didn't take too long, probably < 10 mins from ordering to tucking in sitting on a bench by the river. Will definitely be back for more :)

542045.jpg

They're outside my 5km zone but will go there when restrictions ease

@Opus - awe thats great - glad you enjoyed... hmmm... my mouth is watering thinking of their chicken creole wrap now... hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

They're outside my 5km zone but will go there when restrictions ease

FWIW, you are allowed to go outside your 5km for food etc.

Maldron Hotel South Mall doing dinner offer for Val's day... details on FB...

looks pretty good..

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Pen Rua wrote: »

To pick up a takeaway?

Not sure that's in the essential category!

To pick up a takeaway?

Here it is, total legal. The 5k is for exercise.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/people-can-travel-more-than-5km-to-collect-takeaway-food-says-minister-for-justice-1.4459370

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

To pick up a takeaway?

Ya, like you had the guys who went to Dublin for a burger so pretty clear you're not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Pen Rua wrote: »

I'd be inclined to disagree with that aswell

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, like you had the guys who went to Dublin for a burger so pretty clear you're not allowed.

That was completely taking the piss. First of all they left their county which no one is allowed to. Other people might travel 8km in the car to collect a takeaway.

Please compare like with like.

Important part - must be within reason and within the “vicinity” of a person’s home.

To me that means if it's a bit over the 5k in an urban area or you're living miles from anywhere and the nearest town is over 5k

That was completely taking the piss. First of all they left their county which no one is allowed to. Other people might travel 8km in the car to collect a takeaway.

Please compare like with like.

We don't know where the poster lives tbf. He could be well outside the 5k and have lots of alternatives where he lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

5km applies to exercise alone, according to restrictions you're technically not supposed to be leaving the house unless for essential reasons. I wouldn't regard a domino's or McDonald's etc as essential

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Guys the O’Reillys food truck that you’re talking about- is it the same crowd on barrack st?

titan18 wrote: »
    We don't know where the poster lives tbf. He could be well outside the 5k and have lots of alternatives where he lives.

You brought up an example of a group of lads who drove outside their county and 80k to supposedly get a takeaway.... anyway I can’t get into any Covid debates cause I’m on probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

leahyl wrote: »
    The Montenotte Hotel have started a food truck today - looks nice, might try it someday as it's not too far from me, go for a walk and pick something up. It's open Wednesday-Sunday 9.30-6.00, I think.

Well within my range so shall investigate at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭ThePott

Guys the O’Reillys food truck that you’re talking about- is it the same crowd on barrack st?
    No, there's two O'Reillys.
    The O'Reilly's they're talking about also has a branch in Bandon. It's called O'Reilly's Food Court I think technically.
    The O'Reillys in Barrack Street have branches in Bishopstown, Wilton and Glanmire.

ThePott wrote: »
    No, there's two O'Reillys.
    The O'Reilly's they're talking about also has a branch in Bandon. It's called O'Reilly's Food Court I think technically.
    The O'Reillys in Barrack Street have branches in Bishopstown, Wilton and Glanmire.

yes the O'Reilly's Food Truck we are talking about here is the one beside Spar on the Carraigcrohane Rd.. beside county hall.. they also have another branch in Bandon

not your usual chipper... great quality stuff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Just on the 5km & how it relates to food, because there could be takeaways that would need the sales that are otherwise being lost because people don't want to go outside the 5km.

You are very much permitted to go beyond your 5km (which is for exercise only) for essential purposes, which includes collecting food from a takeaway (which is an essential retailer).

See thread from Gavan Reilly from the time the lads were caught going 80km for food.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1349803201617342465

Now, there's a difference between going a couple of km's over, versus going 80km+ or outside your country which is tearing the arse off it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement