Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

pwurple wrote: »
    Booked for Saturday, will report back.

Tried to get a booking for this weekend.

It felt like the scene from American Psycho were the maitre d falls around laughing when he tries to book a table. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'd love to try Rachel's but definitely it's odd that there's no pricing on the website. Can't wait to hear some feedback here!

Not strictly speaking a restaurant review as we weren't eating, but stood holding my wallet at the bar of Cask for 10 minutes the other night, while a barman made cocktails right in front of me, and about half a dozen other staff criss-crossed behind the bar, with no-one even glancing at me! I left. It wasn't that busy, got seats at the bar immediately. I don't expect instant service in a bar that serves cocktails but jeez, someone should have the courtesy to nod, make eye contact or let me know that they'll be with me shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Malari wrote: »
    I'd love to try Rachel's but definitely it's odd that there's no pricing on the website. Can't wait to hear some feedback here!

Not strictly speaking a restaurant review as we weren't eating, but stood holding my wallet at the bar of Cask for 10 minutes the other night, while a barman made cocktails right in front of me, and about half a dozen other staff criss-crossed behind the bar, with no-one even glancing at me! I left. It wasn't that busy, got seats at the bar immediately. I don't expect instant service in a bar that serves cocktails but jeez, someone should have the courtesy to nod, make eye contact or let me know that they'll be with me shortly!

Had the same experience in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

bugs the bejesus out of me, surely a good barman/woman should be able to acknowledge your presence and just a nod will reassure you that you're not forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

bugs the bejesus out of me, surely a good barman/woman should be able to acknowledge your presence and just a nod will reassure you that you're not forgotten.

That's all I wanted! I get that different people have different functions, and that maybe that guy in front of me was the Cocktail Guy and he doesn't take direct orders from the bar, or the girls waiting tables don't take drinks orders, but honestly, just give a nod and maybe alert a colleague that I've been waiting to buy a drink for several minutes! It just felt like a "not my problem" attitude. Not very welcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I thought someone earlier had mentioned that a Smoker and a BBQ pit was installed there, but the menu on their website doesn't appear to contain what I thought it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Looking at the Dinner menu for Rachel's and maybe I'm jaded but I'm not exactly inspired by the choice of mains...

Wood fired Pizza with Irish Farmhouse Produce
    Crispy Pork Belly with Braised Fennel and Salsa Verde
    Dry Aged East Cork Sirloin, Bearnaise Charred Cherry TomatoWild Mushroom and Organic Kale Risotto
    Rack of Lamb with Mint Crumb and Carrot Purée
    Dover Sole with Lemon and Caper Butter

Fairly safe in terms of offerings there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Mumha wrote: »
    I thought someone earlier had mentioned that a Smoker and a BBQ pit was installed there, but the menu on their website doesn't appear to contain what I thought it would.
    Looking at the Dinner menu for Rachel's and maybe I'm jaded but I'm not exactly inspired by the choice of mains...

Wood fired Pizza with Irish Farmhouse Produce
    Crispy Pork Belly with Braised Fennel and Salsa Verde
    Dry Aged East Cork Sirloin, Bearnaise Charred Cherry TomatoWild Mushroom and Organic Kale Risotto
    Rack of Lamb with Mint Crumb and Carrot Purée
    Dover Sole with Lemon and Caper Butter

Fairly safe in terms of offerings there.

It had been reported in the Echo and Examiner that the restaurant was included BBQ pit, etc (can't find any links, I'm afraid) but maybe that was based off a planning application and plans changed after?

The website looks like it's still under construction so maybe that's part of it.

But, on the options, I agree - nothing too exciting there. I mean, if it's good quality and well cooked (which I have no doubts it will be!) then all well and good, but I was looking for something a bit different, more adventurous.

Maybe they'll tweak it as they go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If you read any of the interviews with her she is very much going for fresh simple food done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

If you read any of the interviews with her she is very much going for fresh simple food done well.

I expect it to be fresh and well done. And simple can be great but that doesn't have to translate into what are a dull and uninspired choice of offerings. I've no interest in going there after seeing the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's your prerogative. Personally will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

I haven't been yet but on the basis of reports from friends, I'm looking forward to going to the Golden Elephant Thai restaurant in Douglas. I've heard it's lovely. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    I haven't been yet but on the basis of reports from friends, I'm looking forward to going to the Golden Elephant Thai restaurant in Douglas. I've heard it's lovely. Any thoughts?

Oh Ive been, it's gorgeous. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Rfrip wrote: »
    Oh Ive been, it's gorgeous. Enjoy!
    I am looking forward to it. Is it essential to book in advance? (probably best to I imagine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Reporting back on Rachel's. :)

It's simple menu, food is very good, small bit on the pricey side maybe?

Starters were from 9 to 12 euro. Tried calamari, procuttio almond salad, and oysters. All v good.

Pizza was 20 euro, it was a roasted tomato base with goat cheese, beetroot, watercress. Very fluffy, tasty.
    I had dover sole, it was perfect... caper butter, fish was cooked exactly right. Can't fault it. Came with skinny chips, fondant potatoes, lovely herby salad and veg (broccoli roasted with nuts) for the table and those get topped up as you ask for them. Fish dish was 34.

Wine list is decent.

Didn't get dessert, there was a chocolate tart and a berry sorbet with meringue I think? went into the cocktail bar /piano bar instead and got a pina chocolata as recommended by the cocktail guy. Basically a chocolate cocktail. V nice dessert substitute. Yes, there was a person playing on the piano.

Rachel was there, came over for quick chat.

The place is beautiful. Tablecloths, lovely ware, nice lighting, we were sitting by the big open wood fire.

Faults... Staff were a smidge nervy... our water was topped up about 8 times, but this is a new job for all of them, so that's to be expected. Also, no prices on cocktail menu, nor were we given the price for the fish when being told it. I don't like surprises, just tell me the price people, i swear won't keel over.

All in all, I liked it, will be back, hope it does well.

Ninja edit! there were two other flatbread options on the menu between starters and mains, around the 13 euro mark. One was with lamb and yoghurt i think, can't remember the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Reporting back on Rachel's. :)

It's simple menu, food is very good, small bit on the pricey side maybe?

Starters were from 9 to 12 euro. Tried calamari, procuttio almond salad, and oysters. All v good.

Pizza was 20 euro, it was a roasted tomato base with goat cheese, beetroot, watercress. Very fluffy, tasty.
    I had dover sole, it was perfect... caper butter, fish was cooked exactly right. Can't fault it. Came with skinny chips, fondant potatoes, lovely herby salad and veg (broccoli roasted with nuts) for the table and those get topped up as you ask for them. Fish dish was 34.

Wine list is decent.

Didn't get dessert, there was a chocolate tart and a berry sorbet with meringue I think? went into the cocktail bar /piano bar instead and got a pina chocolata as recommended by the cocktail guy. Basically a chocolate cocktail. V nice dessert substitute. Yes, there was a person playing on the piano.

Rachel was there, came over for quick chat.

The place is beautiful. Tablecloths, lovely ware, nice lighting, we were sitting by the big open wood fire.

Faults... Staff were a smidge nervy... our water was topped up about 8 times, but this is a new job for all of them, so that's to be expected. Also, no prices on cocktail menu, nor were we given the price for the fish when being told it. I don't like surprises, just tell me the price people, i swear won't keel over.

All in all, I liked it, will be back, hope it does well.

Ninja edit! there were two other flatbread options on the menu between starters and mains, around the 13 euro mark. One was with lamb and yoghurt i think, can't remember the other.

Great review! Thanks pwurple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

I can't find any photos online of the interior or on Facebook. There doesn't seem to be a website yet. Prices you mention seem ok for a celebrity chef-type restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I can't find any photos online of the interior or on Facebook. There doesn't seem to be a website yet. Prices you mention seem ok for a celebrity chef-type restaurant.

There is a website. rachels.ie

There are some interior photos on the facebook i think.

There is a website, a facebook, twitter, instagram. All the media bases covered, and the menu's etc are all designed and branded looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

They put up a video of the interior 3-4 days ago on their FB page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

They put up a video of the interior 3-4 days ago on their FB page.
    Just saw that now. When I googled Rachel's restaurant Cork it just brought up her own main facebook account but I found the one for the restaurant after.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Was in Bunsen on French Church Street. Tiny menu but what I had was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Ad Rachels, indeed we had a completely different experience today, as described above

Got a call from them an hour earlier, but couldn't answer, so called back later but only answering machine. Went in, a little early, our table was not ready so went to the bar and ordered some mocktails. Both beautiful, no prices for them but normal cocktails are 12 Euros.
    So got picked up for the table and also beautiful place at the window. Wine menu was just offered several times, although we said we wouldn't drink alcohol. New staff, didn't worry. So the menu came and for Sunday it is a set menu with three courses, three four options as one was not on the menu. 45 Euros. So my wife who was fancying something from the menu on the homepage was a little bit annoyed already. So she ordered the only options she would like, a salad, I had the salmon. Both okayish but if you think each course is 15 Euros, highly overpriced. For main we ordered the beef and the leg of lamb. It took quite long to get to us, while we heard our neighbor table a sharing platter being offered, what we thought was a starter option.
    So the main arrived and basically two side options were served. To our surprise beef and lamb was served on one plate, and no one told us what was what. Even worse my wife hates lamb, so she was disgusted. Called the manager and went out.
    So Sunday is basically an expensive carvery, but this was not mentioned anywhere that there is a different menu. Rachel is also not new in the business what makes the experience even more disappointing.
    It is intended as upper market restaurant but for a fiver extra you get a five course meal at the ivory tower, with a braver menu.

Harika wrote: »
    Ad Rachels, indeed we had a completely different experience today, as described above

Got a call from them an hour earlier, but couldn't answer, so called back later but only answering machine. Went in, a little early, our table was not ready so went to the bar and ordered some mocktails. Both beautiful, no prices for them but normal cocktails are 12 Euros.
    So got picked up for the table and also beautiful place at the window. Wine menu was just offered several times, although we said we wouldn't drink alcohol. New staff, didn't worry. So the menu came and for Sunday it is a set menu with three courses, three four options as one was not on the menu. 45 Euros. So my wife who was fancying something from the menu on the homepage was a little bit annoyed already. So she ordered the only options she would like, a salad, I had the salmon. Both okayish but if you think each course is 15 Euros, highly overpriced. For main we ordered the beef and the leg of lamb. It took quite long to get to us, while we heard our neighbor table a sharing platter being offered, what we thought was a starter option.
    So the main arrived and basically two side options were served. To our surprise beef and lamb was served on one plate, and no one told us what was what. Even worse my wife hates lamb, so she was disgusted. Called the manager and went out.
    So Sunday is basically an expensive carvery, but this was not mentioned anywhere that there is a different menu. Rachel is also not new in the business what makes the experience even more disappointing.
    It is intended as upper market restaurant but for a fiver extra you get a five course meal at the ivory tower, with a braver menu.
    Trading on her name? Restaurants have to be good or the public will soon stop coming.

overmantle wrote: »
    Trading on her name? Restaurants have to be good or the public will soon stop coming.

No doubt she is involved, but atm it is living on the name and that it is new. Edit: And no bread served :eek: but plates were there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's her name on the door but it's Paul Montgomery backing this.

rob316 wrote: »
    It's like lots of products, having little to do with the person whose name is fronting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

It's like lots of products, having little to do with the person whose name is fronting it.

sure isn't she busy making sandwiches at O'Brien's? :rolleyes:

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't think that's true or fair. She was there in person and working on Saturday when I was in.

Harika, I can't tell from above, was that a lunch you were having? If it was, that's kinda the way Sunday lunch works in Ballymaloe as well. Everyone at the shares the meats/fish, and you ask for extra's as you want them. I really like that service style myself, because I'm a food floozy, I always want to try what everyone else is having! But yeah, my three year old throws a wobbler if her food is touching other foods, so it must annoy some people. They should have explained it. 

Sounds like the staff were flustered anyway, which I saw as well, our water kept randomly being topped up every 30 seconds. It's the first week in new jobs for all of them, so I cut them a bit of slack.

• Advertisement

I don't think that's true or fair. She was there in person and working on Saturday when I was in.

Harika, I can't tell from above, was that a lunch you were having? If it was, that's kinda the way Sunday lunch works in Ballymaloe as well. Everyone at the shares the meats/fish, and you ask for extra's as you want them. I really like that service style myself, because I'm a food floozy, I always want to try what everyone else is having! But yeah, my three year old throws a wobbler if her food is touching other foods, so it must annoy some people. They should have explained it. 

Sounds like the staff were flustered anyway, which I saw as well, our water kept randomly being topped up every 30 seconds. It's the first week in new jobs for all of them, so I cut them a bit of slack.

We arrived at 18:00, and we were not told before about the different menu, not even at the table. And unlike the manager told us, there was no hint on that on the homepage, facebook or twitter. Yeah it was similar to Ballymaloe, but why would you mix beef and lamb on one plate if at the order you specify that you hate lamb?
    I totally understand, that new staff needs time, but this doesn't justify to snap at us. Also Rachel is long enough in the game and for a hefty price tag of 45 Euros per person and 12 euros for a cocktail, I expect top service. It is not an artisan food outlet, where people from outside the business start their journey into the food business.
    The table next to us also complained about that the gap between the tables was not big enough, maybe it was because of our negativity :pac: but it can be assumed as it was to be expected to be busy, as much people as possible were pumped into the restaurant to milk the cow. What put the staff under additional pressure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement