Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well if you were told it's on the twitter or facebook so you should know, that's just weird. 
    This is her first restaurant though, is it not? I mean, I know she does the teaching, books, endorsements and has been on TV, but I don't think she has ever run any restaurant before. I was keeping a beady eye out on Saturday, here's what I saw her doing in person...
    -talking to customers and thanking them for coming.
    -In the kitchen, checking up.
    -inspecting the bathrooms, and telling the staff to sort them out (one was out of loo paper or something). I then saw a chain of bollocking happening, with a manager giving out to another member of staff about that.
    - Front reception, apologising to people that they could not find a table as a walk-in at 8pm on an opening Saturday night in the city center. They got a lot of hassle from people who were trying to book, and wanting to get in without bookings. I saw someone I won't mention do the "don't you know who I am" routine at the door.  Maybe they did put some extra tables on for Sunday, they certainly took enough hassle for not being able to seat everyone who just rocked up.  

I agree with what you said by the way. It is a bit expensive as well, and yes, a lot of the staff were clearly newbs, but allowing for it being an opening weekend, I was  happy with the place, and with the quality of food. I think it will grow into itself and those issues should iron out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I went twice last week for work related lunch/dinner things and I really enjoyed it. The space is beautiful and the food was excellent. the service was probably over-friendly for some people but like Pwurple noted they are only doing this a week. Rachel Allen was there during the week and she mentioned to another colleague of mine that the menu situation is going to change quite a bit over the next few weeks/months while they find their feet.

The service will probably evolve into being quite good and it's a great addition to that part of town. It certainly stood above the atrocious service you'd get in Brick Lane (obviously not on the same level) or the mixed service in Bodega/Cornstore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

That's a bad start for a place to fleece people like that. Not hugely surprising though. It's say it's another one for the list to steer clear of to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Harika wrote: »
    It is intended as upper market restaurant but for a fiver extra you get a five course meal at the ivory tower, with a braver menu.

extra fiver to be handed things like alphabet spag and call it "chitalian"

If that's your benchmark for brave food you need to get out more, a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

We arrived at 18:00, and we were not told before about the different menu, not even at the table. And unlike the manager told us, there was no hint on that on the homepage, facebook or twitter. Yeah it was similar to Ballymaloe, but why would you mix beef and lamb on one plate if at the order you specify that you hate lamb?
    I totally understand, that new staff needs time, but this doesn't justify to snap at us. Also Rachel is long enough in the game and for a hefty price tag of 45 Euros per person and 12 euros for a cocktail, I expect top service. It is not an artisan food outlet, where people from outside the business start their journey into the food business.
    The table next to us also complained about that the gap between the tables was not big enough, maybe it was because of our negativity :pac: but it can be assumed as it was to be expected to be busy, as much people as possible were pumped into the restaurant to milk the cow. What put the staff under additional pressure.
    Is it that they have too many tables packed into the space if people are complaining that there's not enough room between them? If they're putting both mains on one plate is there even enough room on the table?

I was at at restaurant last night in Dublin, somewhere billed as a future Michelin star but nowhere near that standard with a chef who has been trying to carve out a role for himself as a celebrity chef. The weekends are booked out weeks in advance and there's a €20 non-refundable booking fee per person in the party if you're a no-show. The tables were packed so tightly together the leg of the chair from the person at the table behind me ended up on my coat which was on the back of my chair. The tables were so small with mains, sides, bread baskets and drinks there was not one visible inch left on the table and things could easily have fallen off. Regardless of whose name is over the door or if the food is good, it's things like that which can easily put someone off. I agree, the shared meat platter should have been explained in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

On the nerviness note, I interviewed for a job at Rachel's a few weeks back, based on which I would say the staff are under constant threat of bollocking. Not a fan of that approach to the workplace myself and IME it's very counterproductive; e.g. you top up a customer's water every thirty seconds because you're afraid to stand still or some manager has gone on a rant about water not being filled up and you decide the best course of action is just to follow orders literally because using your initiative or best judgement is pointless.

That said, the early days of a restaurant are massively stressful and keeping anything at a level better than "fairly controlled chaos" is good going, maybe I'm wrong and the staffing stuff will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Rachel is on Expose TV3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

On the nerviness note, I interviewed for a job at Rachel's a few weeks back, based on which I would say the staff are under constant threat of bollocking. Not a fan of that approach to the workplace myself and IME it's very counterproductive; e.g. you top up a customer's water every thirty seconds because you're afraid to stand still or some manager has gone on a rant about water not being filled up and you decide the best course of action is just to follow orders literally because using your initiative or best judgement is pointless.

That said, the early days of a restaurant are massively stressful and keeping anything at a level better than "fairly controlled chaos" is good going, maybe I'm wrong and the staffing stuff will work out.

As a customer I feel anxious when it's obvious that the staff are under that kind of pressure and it's totally unnecessary imo.I hate to see that carry on and feel really sorry for the staff..it would put me off a restaurant completely.Most people allow for teething problems and happy staff enhance a restaurant ,their job is difficult enough without some manager adding to the pressure....customers definitely pick up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

Colser wrote: »
    As a customer I feel anxious when it's obvious that the staff are under that kind of pressure and it's totally unnecessary imo.I hate to see that carry on and feel really sorry for the staff..it would put me off a restaurant completely.Most people allow for teething problems and happy staff enhance a restaurant ,their job is difficult enough without some manager adding to the pressure....customers definitely pick up on this.

Good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Looking forward to trying Spitjack but still looks a bit away from being finished, when I passed yesterday.

• Advertisement

Mumha wrote: »
    Looking forward to trying Spitjack but still looks a bit away from being finished, when I passed yesterday.

Where is Spitjack opening up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Candlewick wrote: »
    Where is Spitjack opening up?

34 Washington St, Centre, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

pwurple wrote: »
    Reporting back on Rachel's. :)

It's simple menu, food is very good, small bit on the pricey side maybe?

Starters were from 9 to 12 euro. Tried calamari, procuttio almond salad, and oysters. All v good.

Pizza was 20 euro, it was a roasted tomato base with goat cheese, beetroot, watercress. Very fluffy, tasty.
    I had dover sole, it was perfect... caper butter, fish was cooked exactly right. Can't fault it. Came with skinny chips, fondant potatoes, lovely herby salad and veg (broccoli roasted with nuts) for the table and those get topped up as you ask for them. Fish dish was 34.

Wine list is decent.

Didn't get dessert, there was a chocolate tart and a berry sorbet with meringue I think? went into the cocktail bar /piano bar instead and got a pina chocolata as recommended by the cocktail guy. Basically a chocolate cocktail. V nice dessert substitute. Yes, there was a person playing on the piano.

Rachel was there, came over for quick chat.

The place is beautiful. Tablecloths, lovely ware, nice lighting, we were sitting by the big open wood fire.

Faults... Staff were a smidge nervy... our water was topped up about 8 times, but this is a new job for all of them, so that's to be expected. Also, no prices on cocktail menu, nor were we given the price for the fish when being told it. I don't like surprises, just tell me the price people, i swear won't keel over.

All in all, I liked it, will be back, hope it does well.

Ninja edit! there were two other flatbread options on the menu between starters and mains, around the 13 euro mark. One was with lamb and yoghurt i think, can't remember the other.

i heard that she won't actually be working in the restaurant - is that correct? I gather she is there now but perhaps thats just at the start to have some presence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sporina wrote: »
    i heard that she won't actually be working in the restaurant - is that correct? I gather she is there now but perhaps thats just at the start to have some presence?

I be frankly shocked if she was. I don't think anyone is really expecting her to be stationed at the pass watching what's going out.

34 Washington St, Centre, Cork

I'll be interested to hear any feedback on Spitjack.

I be frankly shocked if she was. I don't think anyone is really expecting her to be stationed at the pass watching what's going out.

yes but why call it "Rachel's" then.. its not like she has a chain of restaurants with that name.. marketing ploy if you ask me and a reason to hike the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

yes but why call it "Rachel's" then.. its not like she has a chain of restaurants with that name.. marketing ploy if you ask me and a reason to hike the prices

She decided to open a restaurant, designed it, designed the menu, has put her name and reputation to it and oversees it. Why not capitalise on her reputation and name?, it would be absolutely crazy not to. Of course it's marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

She's running it under here name, precisely for the reasons you've outlined, and yet there's a risk in doing that if it's below quality so it's still in her best interests to see it become a successful restaurant. TBH the name is a bit moot to me - Ronald MacDonald mightn't be flipping burgers in the kitchen but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy my big mac (I realise that's an oversimplification).

All that said, I'll be trying out a number of other places before going to Rachels, firstly to allow the place to settle down a bit - sounds like the staff are a bit anxious and that's simply trickling down from management which pisses me off having worked in that . Secondly the pricing seems quite high for basic dishes so will keep an eye on the menu that, from earlier posts, will be tweaked, it seems.

mmm. Big Macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

mmm. Big Macs.
    If Ronald had a culinary school he could be charging €34 for them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

D'Agger wrote: »
    If Ronald had a culinary school he could be charging €34 for them :pac:
    He could name his figure or think of a number and multiply it by two or three.

D'Agger wrote: »
    She's running it under here name, precisely for the reasons you've outlined, and yet there's a risk in doing that if it's below quality so it's still in her best interests to see it become a successful restaurant. TBH the name is a bit moot to me - Ronald MacDonald mightn't be flipping burgers in the kitchen but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy my big mac (I realise that's an oversimplification).

All that said, I'll be trying out a number of other places before going to Rachels, firstly to allow the place to settle down a bit - sounds like the staff are a bit anxious and that's simply trickling down from management which pisses me off having worked in that . Secondly the pricing seems quite high for basic dishes so will keep an eye on the menu that, from earlier posts, will be tweaked, it seems.

McDonalds is not comparing like with like - thats a chain = it would be different if Rachel had a no. of restaurants - all called Rachel's ...

But a stand alone restaurant called by her own name - and as her only restaurant, implies to me that she would be working there..

I'll obv have to check it out but I won't do so for quite some time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

People are assuming it's Rachel Allen's restaurant ?

I took it as Reardens Montgomery's restaurant with Rachel Allen getting a nice slice of pie to put her name behind it and hang around shaking hands for a couple of days as it opens.

Easier to fleece people for a €45 lunch that way!

Wouldn't think €45 for a three course Sunday lunch in a good restaurant is that expensive at all tbh. Would have to be good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

pwurple wrote: »
    I saw someone I won't mention do the "don't you know who I am" routine at the door.

cian twomey?

Wouldn't think €45 for a three course Sunday lunch in a good restaurant is that expensive at all tbh. Would have to be good though.
    I think it's expensive, no matter where you are. If you add on wine and you have a group, it would end up being very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I think it is campagne in Kilkenny charge 34 euro and its Michelin stared.

rolys bistro in Dublin where i had maybe my best meal ever is 27.50 for lunch.

So 45 is very very over priced for a place that has not got a name yet come back to me in a year or two when it has one awards she can get away with them prices. Not at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

45e for a 3 course Sunday lunch is very expensive. I ate in Jamie Oliver's restaurant in London at the weekend it was no more expensive than others around, ive eaten in ramsays burger place in las Vegas again it wasn't over the top. Just because it has a "celebrity" name on the door doesn't mean you should pay through the nose, this is cork too ffs. plenty of places doing good food at 15e a main course.

on another note, another place is opening on Washington st called west cork burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

rob316 wrote: »

on another note, another place is opening on Washington st called west cork burger.

Saturation Point has surely been reached on burger places and Asian Street Food now. Hopefully its good but it has some stiff competion to live up to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Saturation Point has surely been reached on burger places and Asian Street Food now. Hopefully its good but it has some stiff competion to live up to.

I do agree i am getting sick of Asian places.

What the city needs is a good Indain as there is none at all that i class as good !!!!.

I used to live in waterford and there was so many good indian places down there and i have not eating in one good Restaurant down here !!!.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement