Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Drove down Washington St. for the first time in a while yesterday and have to say it's thriving in a big way - Nice to see Rachels in there, few buildings having gotten facelifts, Capitol nearly done in the back - have to say the street is looking as well as I've ever seen it, having been living in Cork 12 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Rfrip wrote: »
    Ate in the brook in glanmire this evening. Really nice. Great service, food was really good..not the cheapest but worth it. Would definitely recommend it

We ate there in February, and while the quality of the food was excellent, we thought it was over fussy, with all that foam nonsense, while the portions weren't exactly generous versus the price. Maybe they're going for a different market from when we used to go more often, and that's fair enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

D'Agger wrote: »
    Drove down Washington St. for the first time in a while yesterday and have to say it's thriving in a big way - Nice to see Rachels in there, few buildings having gotten facelifts, Capitol nearly done in the back - have to say the street is looking as well as I've ever seen it, having been living in Cork 12 years at this stage.

It definitely is starting to move along alright, though I feel sympathy for the businesses opposite St Augustine's on Washington Street. The path outside the businesses is really narrow, and can't help passing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

D'Agger wrote: »
    I agree. It's very much on the up, that stretch of the street. Not before time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Was in Cask on Saturday night. Just got drinks. Was absolutely mobbed! Couldn't believe how busy it was. Especially for a bar that isn't exactly in the city centre. Nice place though. Couldn't be dealing with the busyness. Will go again on a quieter night..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

We went to Bunsen last night. I can never understand how places can justify charging nearly a fiver for sweet potato fries (Didn't get them obviously). After all the hype I was expecting something amazing. It was nice, but nothing spectacular. I won't be itching to go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Someone snapped Rachel's menu with the prices and sent it to me. As some other posters pointed out, there's nothing that unusual on it, when I go out I'd like something I wouldn't cook at home, for the prices they charge I would expect better. There's a glaring error on the menu which is embarrassing for someone who is considered queen of the foodies by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My husband manages a shop in the city that has a deli. The other day he saw Rachel's receive a big order of a brand of frozen chips that his shop stopped using because they were so poor. So for all the guff about simple, local ingredients. They aren't even making their own chips. It always amazes me when I see higher class places using crappy, frozen chips. That's fine at the cheaper end of the scale, but at her prices, I expect home made, good quality chips.

ncmc wrote: »
    My husband manages a shop in the city that has a deli. The other day he saw Rachel's receive a big order of a brand of frozen chips that his shop stopped using because they were so poor. So for all the guff about simple, local ingredients. They aren't even making their own chips. It always amazes me when I see higher class places using crappy, frozen chips. That's fine at the cheaper end of the scale, but at her prices, I expect home made, good quality chips.

For the prices they charge I'd expect hand cut (in house) organic chips, triple cooked in horse lard (give the best results according to the Belgians) served with truffle mayo and a sprinkling of gold dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

some comments here have left Pettyville and are heading to Nastytown via Begrudgery Station.

• Advertisement

some comments here have left Pettyville and are heading to Nastytown via Begrudgery Station.

I take it you mean criticism of Ms Allan's restaurant (well the restaurant she's fronting). If someone opens a restaurant charging above average prices they'd better have above average food and service. Personally I think Allan is a charlatan who flogs a lifestyle concept that yummy mummies love to emulate. Watch any of her programmes, they're all fluff with very little substance (Donal Skeehan is another culprit). When it comes to TV chefs/cooks she's fairly low down the ranking (it's her look, which is lost on me and her name which has got her this far). The luvvies are tripping over themselves at the moment to get their bums on Allan's seats at the moment, whether there are enough people like this in Cork to sustain her restaurant will be interesting to see, some members of her family haven't been so successful in their own restaurant ventures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Donal Sheehan I had in the restaurant I worked in before.

The chef came out and asked him show me how to cook something on side his own reacting where he went bright red was I would not have a clue where to start as I am not a chef I am a TV cook haha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Donal Sheehan I had in the restaurant I worked in before.

The chef came out and asked him show me how to cook something on side his own reacting where he went bright red was I would not have a clue where to start as I am not a chef I am a TV cook haha

Nope. Read this 3 times now, still don't know what it says.

I'm going to give Rachel's a try - like I do with most new places. I don't mind "plain" food if it's really well done, and I don't mind paying more for excellent service.

I had a Miyazaki takeaway recently and it was excellent as always! They had some "holy mackerel" spines on the counter as appetisers, which were surprisingly sweet (candied mackerel...who'd a thunk?) but delicious! I wanted to tip the whole plate into my carry-out bag. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Malari wrote: »
    I had Donal Sheehan in the restaurant I worked in before.

The chef came out and asked him show me how to cook something. He went bright red and said "I would not have a clue where to start as I am not a chef. I am a TV cook". haha

fixed that for ya...took me a few reads to decipher also :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have no issue with Rachel Allen or with her opening a restaurant, I also have no problem with her not being there every night. I never expected her to be slaving in the kitchen every night herself. But I do have an issue with any restaurant charging high end prices and claiming to only cook simple food with local ingredients, using frozen chips. It's not exactly challenging to make homemade chips, even students who've never cooked before can manage it!

I'm going to give Rachel's a try - like I do with most new places. I don't mind "plain" food if it's really well done, and I don't mind paying more for excellent service.

I had a Miyazaki takeaway recently and it was excellent as always! They had some "holy mackerel" spines on the counter as appetisers, which were surprisingly sweet (candied mackerel...who'd a thunk?) but delicious! I wanted to tip the whole plate into my carry-out bag. :P

I'm hearing great things about Miyazaki, I know they have only a few stools there, what are the chances of just walking in and nabbing a few to sit down and eat there or would I be standing there all night waiting? I'm living a bit far to out to be going down the take out route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok, moving on from the Rachel Allen discussion, just reviews on the restaurant please.

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm hearing great things about Miyazaki, I know they have only a few stools there, what are the chances of just walking in and nabbing a few to sit down and eat there or would I be standing there all night waiting? I'm living a bit far to out to be going down the take out route.

Anytime I've been (admittedly around 6pm) there have been spare stools, but I would say it's much more of a takeaway place. I don't know if it would be that comfortable a place for a meal, with people coming in and standing just over your shoulder waiting for their takeaway food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Anytime I've been (admittedly around 6pm) there have been spare stools, but I would say it's much more of a takeaway place. I don't know if it would be that comfortable a place for a meal, with people coming in and standing just over your shoulder waiting for their takeaway food.

It is a popular spot for sitting in, apparently. They have a number of dishes that are eat-in-only each day, but I've always wondered about the practicality because, as you say, there's literally a handful of stools in the corner.

Food is top notch though - it's worth grabbing a take-out and eating in the car even!!

It is a popular spot for sitting in, apparently. They have a number of dishes that are eat-in-only each day, but I've always wondered about the practicality because, as you say, there's literally a handful of stools in the corner.

Food is top notch though - it's worth grabbing a take-out and eating in the car even!!

Yeah, and some of the food doesn't have to be piping hot, so can be eaten cold/warm - sashimi, onigiri, edamame, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bunsen today for the first time. Really struggling to criticise. It's a burger joint, and a might fine burger was had. Decent thick juicy patty, well cooked. Soft substantial bun. Fresh lettuce, onion and cheese. As burgers go it's mighty good. Seeet potato fries fine. €14 with a Coke. Would have been €12 with regular fries. Decent selection of beers too and friendly staff.

It's not a fancy place and doesn't pretend to be. It's a traditional no nonsense burger. If you want a dining experience with truffle mayo and fancy burger toppings it's not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah I saw that - why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

sporina wrote: »
    yeah I saw that - why is this?

I think it's a food safety thing, they don't want people buying certain things for take out, travelling a moderate distance home and then reheating them.

Tried Umi on Academy Street last night, pretty bloody decent. The falafels and hummus were lovely, everything else was good (wasn't mad about the pickled vegetables but it's early days for them I suppose), and value for money was borderline ridiculously good. Got the sharing platter for two and a couple of sides between me and my sister, we're both greedy bitches and we were stuffed!

Really good variety on the menu compared to a lot of falafel/middle eastern places. Good service, nice space. Think I'll definitely be going back and working my way through the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I think we should have a falafel date electro :D

I think it's a food safety thing, they don't want people buying certain things for take out, travelling a moderate distance home and then reheating them.

Tried Umi on Academy Street last night, pretty bloody decent. The falafels and hummus were lovely, everything else was good (wasn't mad about the pickled vegetables but it's early days for them I suppose), and value for money was borderline ridiculously good. Got the sharing platter for two and a couple of sides between me and my sister, we're both greedy bitches and we were stuffed!

Really good variety on the menu compared to a lot of falafel/middle eastern places. Good service, nice space. Think I'll definitely be going back and working my way through the menu.

I've eaten in Umi at their Dame street restaurant in Dublin several times and have to agree with everything you've said, it's fantastic value, plenty of choice, healthy, meat free for those that want it (though the don't make a big deal of this). I'm looking forward to checking out their new place in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I think we should have a falafel date electro :D

You're on!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Definitely going to try Umi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

had a delicious lunch in Loving Salads today - and it was mobbed.. queues out the door too..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭DamienDarts

pwurple wrote: »
    I saw someone I won't mention do the "don't you know who I am" routine at the door.

Name and shame the prick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

sporina wrote: »
    had a delicious lunch in Loving Salads today - and it was mobbed.. queues out the door too..
    Is it pricey?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement