Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

rob316 wrote: »
    45e for a 3 course Sunday lunch is very expensive. I ate in Jamie Oliver's restaurant in London at the weekend it was no more expensive than others around, ive eaten in ramsays burger place in las Vegas again it wasn't over the top. Just because it has a "celebrity" name on the door doesn't mean you should pay through the nose, this is cork too ffs. plenty of places doing good food at 15e a main course.

on another note, another place is opening on Washington st called west cork burger.
    Burgr in Vegas is great, been there many times, but it's around $30+ for burger chips and drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

I do agree i am getting sick of Asian places.

What the city needs is a good Indain as there is none at all that i class as good !!!!.

I used to live in waterford and there was so many good indian places down there and i have not eating in one good Restaurant down here !!!.

I find Indian restaurants can be quite pricey and I agree that there are none in Cork I would rave about. Anybody recommend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Candlewick wrote: »
    I find Indian restaurants can be quite pricey and I agree that there are none in Cork I would rave about. Anybody recommend one?

Iyers if you're happy not to eat meat.

Not in the city, but gaylords in kerrypike is pretty outstanding.

Is gaylords very quiet?

Candlewick wrote: »
    Is gaylords very quiet?

It can be at times during the week

Seems to get regular visits from celeb's.

Mingle with the stars over a nan :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sigh. People really love to tear down anyone who takes a risk, develops and improves our city and creates employment around here. And even more so when it's a woman. That huge building was vacant for years, and now it's a draw, driving more business to Silly Goose and Edison and whatever else is around there. Fair fecks to them I say.

If it's out of your price range, there are loads of cheaper places within walking distance. Cork is flooded with cheap places to eat. What it doesn't have is swathes of higher end food. Plus, the restaurant is jammed out the door and turning people away at the current prices, so why on god's green earth would they lower them. 

Anyway, rant aside... (sorry!) I came in to say I had been for food up at The Worshop near the airport and I recommend there. Brought the kids for lunch and they were delighted with the teddy bears around the place, and that their milk came in cat-shaped cups.We had soup, sandwiches and they had a cake-pop to go. Service is slow, so I wouldn't be in a rush there, but food is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I do agree i am getting sick of Asian places.

What the city needs is a good Indain as there is none at all that i class as good !!!!.

I used to live in waterford and there was so many good indian places down there and i have not eating in one good Restaurant down here !!!.

Don't bother going to the asian places then!

I agree with your comments about Cork's miserable supply of Indian places. Waterford has a couple of fantastic Indian restaurants.

On Indian places, Iyers! 
    Also, Spice of India in Bishopstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

mire wrote: »
    Don't bother going to the asian places then!

I agree with your comments about Cork's miserable supply of Indian places. Waterford has a couple of fantastic Indian restaurants.

Very true in Waterford.

Blue manago, eastenders, cafe goa, peppers are all top class down in Waterford.

All also not that that pricy as well.

But cork the best Indian is from a dump of a takeaway in blackpool that I all ways get.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Very true in Waterford.

Blue manago, eastenders, cafe goa, peppers are all top class down in Waterford.

All also not that that pricy as well.

But cork the best Indian is from a dump of a takeaway in blackpool that I all ways get.

Oh where's that? I'm just after moving out to Blackpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Don't get me wrong, Iyers is lovely but is more of a Cafe than a restaurant. Limited selection of dishes (albeit very well done) and only daytime opening. Best Indian restaurant in Cork is Haveli in Douglas, hands down. Takeaway Menu is different so make sure to sit-in to get the full choice of dishes. Any others I have been to are very average. Heard good things here and from friends about Thali on Popes Quay which would have similarities to Indian cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Go to Thali, its Nepalese but has a lot of pure Indian dishes. Ate there a number of times and its fantastic.

Mahi Tandoori is the place i get the takeaway from its great valve as well. Thats the place in blackpool

Get curry rice nam and starter brought to me for about 12 euros bargain and 1/2 for a very good chicken madras.

But as your typical indain you be lucky to get 4 pices of chicken in your curry ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

@pwurple, I thought you made a very good argument for Rachel's there until you decided to shoehorn in a gender issue for no good reason. Kinda made me switch off and it does nothing for feminism.

Regarding Iyer's, it is fantastic but not an Indian restaurant as people know it. As said, more of a café.

Thali is very, very good. Ive been a few times and apart from one dish, it has always been good.
    Don't order the sizzling chilli chicken.

@pwurple, I thought you made a very good argument for Rachel's there until you decided to shoehorn in a gender issue for no good reason. Kinda made me switch off and it does nothing for feminism.

Regarding Iyer's, it is fantastic but not an Indian restaurant as people know it. As said, more of a café.

Thali is very, very good. Ive been a few times and apart from one dish, it has always been good.
    Don't order the sizzling chilli chicken.

I really must make it to Thali but the issue i have is that my girlfirend does not like indain food at all and gives out that i normally smell of spices for a day after it ha.

Do they have very very basic food that she might be able to eat there ?. As i would eat anything really.

With Iyers it would be a lunch option for me now in the next few weeks i will call in and try it as got noting to lose.

Good point.

Iyers tends to come with a number of "warnings" I just pointed out the one seem people to be most concerned about which is the lack of meat.

But yes it has less tables and chairs than a "restaurant" ;)

Think of an equivalent successful male tv chef. Does Kevin Dundon have a cohort of people demanding he show himself in Dunbrody house every night?

Sorry now, but there's a ferocious interest in whether she was there, what she was personally doing, and comments about all sorts of aspects of her life. I've never seen a single chef in a restaurant in this thread get those kind of personal digs. Maybe I'm totally wrong and you can point out an example I missed. It could indeed be general begrudgery, plenty of that to go around, and that's what most of my rant was about after all.

*crappy joke alert* Hope I didn't make you switch off now again, us chicks just live to switch people on. :p

Annnnyway. God almighty you'd know I'm missing my kitchen at the moment, it's out of order for the next while, can't even make up my own lunch these days... tried another place today, Zambreroin Dennehy's cross.
    T'was grand anyway. Beats a chipper, felt vaguely healthy. stuff was fresh, place was clean. I got a bowl of rice, beans, salad, salsas (tomato, corn, onion), jalapeño, guac, sour cream and some green sauce for 8 euro. Guacamole was the real deal, from actual avocados rather than green food-like sludge.

pwurple wrote: »
    Think of an equivalent successful male tv chef. Does Kevin Dundon have a cohort of people demanding he show himself in Dunbrody house every night?

Sorry now, but there's a ferocious interest in whether she was there, what she was personally doing, and comments about all sorts of aspects of her life. I've never seen a single chef in a restaurant in this thread get those kind of personal digs. Maybe I'm totally wrong and you can point out an example I missed. It could indeed be general begrudgery, plenty of that to go around, and that's what most of my rant was about after all.

*crappy joke alert* Hope I didn't make you switch off now again, us chicks just live to switch people on. :p

Annnnyway. God almighty you'd know I'm missing my kitchen at the moment, it's out of order for the next while, can't even make up my own lunch these days... tried another place today, Zambreroin Dennehy's cross.
    T'was grand anyway. Beats a chipper, felt vaguely healthy. stuff was fresh, place was clean. I got a bowl of rice, beans, salad, salsas (tomato, corn, onion), jalapeño, guac, sour cream and some green sauce for 8 euro. Guacamole was the real deal, from actual avocados rather than green food-like sludge.
    I think if a male celebrity chef opened here you'd get the same nonsense begrudgers tbh.

pwurple wrote: »

I tried Zambrero also. I need to go back as I think I chose incorrectly first time. Having said that what I had was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

what exactly is the protocol for sunday lunch at Rachel's? say for 2 people - what do you get and how is it served? kinda confused by the posts here with regards to it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

sporina wrote: »
    what exactly is the protocol for sunday lunch at Rachel's? say for 2 people - what do you get and how is it served? kinda confused by the posts here with regards to it..

Look up the reviews on her Facebook page, they really are shocking!
    There's also a picture of her skips blocking a disabled parking space which doesn't sit well with me.
    I'd love to go in but it'll be at least 4-6 weeks before I do, hopefully they'll have the place running properly by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

.red. wrote: »
    There's also a picture of her skips blocking a disabled parking space which doesn't sit well with me.
    I'd love to go in but it'll be at least 4-6 weeks before I do, hopefully they'll have the place running properly by then.

And you'll have forgotten that her skips blocked disabled parking or you won't care anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I doubt she placed them there herself. Didn't think she was that strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It must have been a man, so lets not level any criticism :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

Thats not the point, a new restaurant needs all the good publicity it can get, small issues like that don't help it!

no offense but i am not looking for a review - i just wanna know the set up for lunch.. ?

Looks like it's €45pp, you order 2 meats and they come on a sharing platter and you get "unlimited" sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ate in the brook in glanmire this evening. Really nice. Great service, food was really good..not the cheapest but worth it. Would definitely recommend it

Looks like it's €45pp, you order 2 meats and they come on a sharing platter and you get "unlimited" sides.

starter and desert ?

• Advertisement

Yep

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement