Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

bleach94 wrote: »
    Walked down French Church Street today and saw Strasbourg Goose is closed, is that where Bunsen will be?
    Surprised SG is gone in any case, was only there once myself and thought it was good

Strasbourg Goose is STILL OPEN ! We passed by on our way to Coqbull last night and it was open. The sign overhead said Building for sale - Tenant unaffected.

Coqbull have reacted to the opening of Bunsen by bringing in a 3 courses for €20 menu. Bunsen had a queue of about 20 people waiting to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Had a burrito from Zambrero yesterday, not bad at all. A nice place and friendly staff.

Haven't tried Boojum yet but not too bothered either. They give the impression they are poorly run. Passed today and sign on door "Out of Chorizo", no big deal but slightly odd! See a tweet from them just now saying they have had to close due to electrical issues! And I've seen a number of other odd things from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

kcb wrote: »
    Had a burrito from Zambrero yesterday, not bad at all. A nice place and friendly staff.

Haven't tried Boojum yet but not too bothered either. They give the impression they are poorly run. Passed today and sign on door "Out of Chorizo", no big deal but slightly odd! See a tweet from them just now saying they have had to close due to electrical issues! And I've seen a number of other odd things from them.

Been to both and Boojam is no way poorly run compared to Zambrero!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I'd heard the phrase 'melt in the mouth', but never expierienced until I went to Bunsen on Saturday. Far and away the best burger I've ever had, but the ease with how organised everything works blew me away. Arrived at the door and the place was jammers. 30 seconds later, the served had my number in his iPad, and I had a text saying where I was in the table queue, and 10 mins later I got another text to say a table was ready. The menu is beautifully simple and on a business card, so hard to go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Anyone have a recommendation for somewhere for a largeish group (6-8), with decent options for a vegetarian and a lactose intolerant person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Market lane is always my favourite. Good for groups too! A few veggie options and I'm sure if they don't have any lactose free options (which they most likely do) they will sort it in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

^ not sure about lactose intolerant but Jacobs would tick the other 2 boxes. I imagine the lactose thing wouldn't be a problem for them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was thinking Market Lane probably sounds good too. They are very accommodating, so I think if someone needed to swap for a lactose free side, or something it wouldn't be an issue at all. I have a lactose intolerant family member who would agree! I'm not veggie, but I often have veggie options in there because they are very inventive and tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jacobs on the mall, market lane, orso, blackrock castle and cafe paradiso would all be good for restricted diets.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

pwurple wrote: »
    Jacobs on the mall, market lane, orso, blackrock castle and cafe paradiso would all be good for restricted diets.

Orso not so much for a larger group though, as much as I love their food.

On a different note I went back to the Meatball Place a few days ago as I'd heard good things since my first visit. I wasn't impressed just after they opened and sadly I am still not impressed.

Got a sub and fries combo (parmagiant or something similar?) and the sub itself was just sad. It was maybe half the size of a 6 inch subway, had a single chicken dipper, a hefty amount of mozarella and a tiny amount of tomato sauce on it. Fries were ok I guess. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

pwurple wrote: »

Would agree with all, except Cafe Paradiso, although many others rave about it. Just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Went to Bunsen on Monday night with high expectations but ended up being decidedly underwhelmed.

We were waiting about 40 minutes for a table which was expected and not an issue, the texting system is fabulous and it's great to not have to sit there waiting.

I found the burgers to be sloppy, thrown together messes. The buns weren't toasted and were soggy, with their contents spilling out from the grease when picked up.
    I know it isn't a restaurant and it's more of an up market fast food joint but the prices were expensive considering what we got.
    For two burgers, two chips and two soft drinks it came to nearly €30 and I've honestly enjoyed burgers from the chipper more than the one I had there. It was all very average.

Service was okay, they made a slight error on our order which is to be expected in the first week of trade so I wouldn't let this reflect on my over all opinion of the place.

I'll give it another try in a couple of months when they're more settled but based on that visit alone I wouldn't return. I will say that I love the Dublin branch though!

As a side note, in our brief hour there I saw 6-7 people I know so I can definitely see it being 'the place to be' for my fellow twenty somethings. I've never had that happen to me in another restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was inside Rachel's doing a quick installation today, it really is a stunning restaurant, absolutely no expense spared. It will be a fantastic addition to the city, look forward to it opening Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Went to Bunsen on Monday night with high expectations but ended up being decidedly underwhelmed.

We were waiting about 40 minutes for a table which was expected and not an issue, the texting system is fabulous and it's great to not have to sit there waiting.

I found the burgers to be sloppy, thrown together messes. The buns weren't toasted and were soggy, with their contents spilling out from the grease when picked up.
    I know it isn't a restaurant and it's more of an up market fast food joint but the prices were expensive considering what we got.
    For two burgers, two chips and two soft drinks it came to nearly €30 and I've honestly enjoyed burgers from the chipper more than the one I had there. It was all very average.

Service was okay, they made a slight error on our order which is to be expected in the first week of trade so I wouldn't let this reflect on my over all opinion of the place.

I'll give it another try in a couple of months when they're more settled but based on that visit alone I wouldn't return. I will say that I love the Dublin branch though!

As a side note, in our brief hour there I saw 6-7 people I know so I can definitely see it being 'the place to be' for my fellow twenty somethings. I've never had that happen to me in another restaurant.

Went in there yesterday evening. Had a cheese burger with everything. I was surprised at how restrained it was. You could almost call it sparse in terms of toppings - which I actually prefer to to the disintegrating Burgers (which I used enjoy) of Son of a Bun. I have to say I found it excellent.

It's saucy out in terms of price... e.g. 4.50 for a nice but certainly not generous chocolate milkshake (always found SOaB's to wildly inconsistent).

They're definitely finding there feet in terms of work flow, but that's understandable. They need to figure out a space for people who are taking stuff out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Just got my cherry popped in son of a bun.
    Have to say, nicest burger I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭penovine

not a burger fan but if i was I don't understand the whole having to dismantle a burger in order to be able to eat it - like they all look too tall to be able to do that these days?
    i always thought that the point of a burger was so that you could hold it and get a taste off all the ingredients in one bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

penovine wrote: »
    not a burger fan but if i was I don't understand the whole having to dismantle a burger in order to be able to eat it - like they all look too tall to be able to do that these days?
    i always thought that the point of a burger was so that you could hold it and get a taste off all the ingredients in one bite?

You just need a few of you at the table

all put your hands on it and squish it like a tayto crisp sambo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Called into Cask last night and eventually managed to snag some seats at the bar. It's clearly still experiencing being the "new thing" with lots of people seeming to be calling in just to check it out. We had several cocktails - the Poachers Pie, the punch and the José O'Reilly were all good but the Orange is the New Black was just weird. Food wise, the large charcuterie board was good as were the pork belly bao buns.

All in all, it's a gorgeous looking spot with a really nice style. It did feel more bar like than cocktail bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭sporina

Anyone made a reservation for Rachel's yet?
    Opening tomorrow.
    No prices on the on line menu.. huummmm... I suspect they prices with be >average. I hope that its not the name one will be paying for?? Its not like she is gonna be working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

got 2 bunsen double cheeseburgers over paddy's day sessions and both delicious. both medium which is a nice bit of pink, better than the last 2 times in dublin in temple bar where i asked for medium and they were both well done. still nice but missing something. so bunsen cork now nearly better then Dublin!

YxkjByem.jpg

boojum is definitely NOT as good as Dublin or Galway. you could tell by the staff, they were just a bit sloppy making up the burrito. like all the sour cream and cheese stuffed down one side and meat the other, i'd to break it up and mix it up. small things like that, they'll be easily fixed over time.

• Advertisement

Anybody been to the new Mexican next to Ramen at Dennehy's Cross?

kcb wrote: »

Sorry. Just spotted this after I posted. Must try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Must check out Bunsen but agree with the above re: Boojum, had it once in Cork, once in Dublin and the Dublin one was alot better - considering I had the same thing I was actually surprised at the difference myself.

Must go back but I'll be looking to try Bunsen first before I return to Boojum, Have to say that I'd be more prone to pop to La Calavera in Douglas though, think their stuff is really good

La Calavera. That's the Mexican? Is it expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Any one been to Rachel Allen's new restaurant yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Harika

Mumha wrote: »

No, but have a booking for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Interested to hear what Rachel's is like - was thinking I would take my mum in for lunch on Saturday but sure not a hope of a table - tried booking online. A bit sneaky that they don't have the prices online either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Rhinohippo wrote: »

Much nicer than any of the spots in the city IMO. I don't think it's any more expensive than the others? €6.50 for a burrito maybe. Sweet potato fries with the chipotle mayo are savage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Much nicer than any of the spots in the city IMO. I don't think it's any more expensive than the others? €6.50 for a burrito maybe. Sweet potato fries with the chipotle mayo are savage too.

^ This - I haven't been in a while but I don't recall it being that expensive in comparison to Boojum, fairly standard price I would say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mumha wrote: »
    Booked for Saturday, will report back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement