Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

That's a shame about Huguenot, really liked it in there. Hopefully they open another place in town in the future.
    Must try Gallo & Galetti some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

UpDown BBQ & Grill
    Went Saturday night. Was nice enough, nothing amazing.
    It was quiet in there, not much of an atmosphere. Considering it was a Saturday night and it was the Jazz weekend, thought it would be busier.

Is this 'BBQ' thing a bit of a fad? This makes it three new openings now in the last 6 months or so. This place is different to White Rabbit & Bad Boys, in that it's more formal with proper table service. The menu is more varied but it's also a bit more expensive than those two. Menu here.

I got pork belly. Came with rice & 'Asian Greens' aka lettuce. Pork & rice were tasty.
    Girlfriend got sirloin steak with chips & onion rings. All tasted fine. Steak was a little pink despite asking for well done.

There's a Grabone deal on at the moment. 2 mains & 3 drinks came to €50, using the voucher ending up paying €30. It was worth that but wouldn't be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭Milly33

Was raging last night after a trip to Del Arte in Mahon Point... Last time most defiantly going in there unless we have too..

Got in an hour and a half before the cinema so we would have lots of time, knowing that in fairness the service in there is shocking...

Got the order taken straight away fine, ordered an uncooked starter just one and pizza and lasagne... So starter comes, we didn't get the main until 10 past eight. This was after nearly half an hour trying to catch one of the 4 waitresses on the floor. They were all walking around looking at their feet..

Muppets, when we eventually managed to catch the lady that served us, by flagging her down and waving, we were told that they were very busy and she would check our order. I was like wtf haven't you don't this already.. Lots of staff wondering around doing nothing.

Said it to the manager on the way out that is was mad it took that long for food.

She started with an excuse that the young lad had done something. I said in fairness they are know for bad service and she was all shocked. I mentioned all the staff were going around looking at the tiles or their feet and mentioned one lady in particular for being bad ignoring people.. She did give 20% off but in fairness she could have given a free meal and we would not go back... Very annoying seeing places like this, when I remarked about one lady in particular she was all well you cant say that about an individual person kinda making it out to me that I was being racist.. Have to say I left raging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly, it's a shopping center pizza joint, maybe reign in the expectations of super-dooper experienced staff. And how are they to know you are in a rush if you don't tell them, you did order two courses, which I would only do if I've loads of time. I think the manager was very good giving you 20% because the service wasn't as fast as you wanted. There's a big food court upstairs if you want rapid.

H8GHOTI, where is "Up Down"? I googled it, and got a patrick street address, but I can't picture it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »

H8GHOTI, where is "Up Down"? I googled it, and got a patrick street address, but I can't picture it at all.

It's where Eden was - over Boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

Eden is still there as such - but they only do deliveries..

sorry have to disagree, two courses, in all it wasn't even two starters just one uncooked one.. And in fairness if I wanted the food court i would have gone up there. I have got take away delivered faster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ate in Wild West Wings on Washinton Street a couple of weeks ago. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The food wasn’t bad per se, it just wasn’t very good either. We shared the nachos to start and they were pretty poor, very dry with not much in the way of toppings. We had a sharing platter for mains, it had mini burgers, pulled pork rolls, ribs and wings. The wings were not nice – they had that very vinegary sauce that almost makes your eyes water. The ribs were ok, but a bit tasteless. The pulled pork was ok and the burgers were good. If I were going again, I would probably get a burger, if I went in specially for wings, I would be bitterly disappointed. The staff however are very friendly and service was good. But the food just wasn’t good enough – I wouldn’t be rushing back.

Had coffee and cake a couple of times in the café in the Cornmarket Centre, Da Calf. Very nice I must say, reminds me of Perry St with it’s décor, but seems a bit cheaper. Cake is excellent, I will definitely try and get back for lunch or breakfast.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Was raging last night after a trip to Del Arte in Mahon Point... Last time most defiantly going in there unless we have too..

Got in an hour and a half before the cinema so we would have lots of time, knowing that in fairness the service in there is shocking...

Got the order taken straight away fine, ordered an uncooked starter just one and pizza and lasagne... So starter comes, we didn't get the main until 10 past eight. This was after nearly half an hour trying to catch one of the 4 waitresses on the floor. They were all walking around looking at their feet..

Muppets, when we eventually managed to catch the lady that served us, by flagging her down and waving, we were told that they were very busy and she would check our order. I was like wtf haven't you don't this already.. Lots of staff wondering around doing nothing.

Said it to the manager on the way out that is was mad it took that long for food.

She started with an excuse that the young lad had done something. I said in fairness they are know for bad service and she was all shocked. I mentioned all the staff were going around looking at the tiles or their feet and mentioned one lady in particular for being bad ignoring people.. She did give 20% off but in fairness she could have given a free meal and we would not go back... Very annoying seeing places like this, when I remarked about one lady in particular she was all well you cant say that about an individual person kinda making it out to me that I was being racist.. Have to say I left raging
    I've eaten in Del Arte in France and loved it, didn't realise it was the same place. The menu seems different though. In France they had this pasta trio which was amazing, I don't see it on the menu here. Was the food better than the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Done the cinema meal deal in Del Arte loads of time's always found it very quick and decent. For a cinema ticket, a beer and pizza for €17 its a great bargain and a cheap night out.

• Advertisement

It is lovely food in fairness it is the staff for me that let the place down. I wouldn't say I would not eat there for the food I would, but be prepared for the lack of service...

Just back from bologna and we were only saying in fairness the food they do is quite like what you get in some of the places there...

I have never eaten there - but it seems there is a self service side and a table service side or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

sporina wrote: »
    I have never eaten there - but it seems there is a self service side and a table service side or how does it work?

When you go up the middle/main stairs, to your left is table service (I've never sat there TBH) and to your right is the 'order at the counter' side. Basically, queue up order what you want, you get a table number and you go find a spot to sit down. If it's busy there is sometimes someone there keeping some sort of order to where people are seated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Such a shame about Huguenots, I was a fan. It seems nothing in that building lasts. I was a huge fan of the restaurant there before it, Ketners I think it was called. They didn't last much more than a year either. The rent is meant to be astronomical. I hope the next place lasts a bit longer.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Such a shame about Huguenots, I was a fan. It seems nothing in that building lasts. I was a huge fan of the restaurant there before it, Ketners I think it was called. They didn't last much more than a year either. The rent is meant to be astronomical. I hope the next place lasts a bit longer.

yes i cannot believe its gone - i mean, i had a meal there and it was good - and i loved the decor - but there was room for improvement.. but what is it with that building - nothing lasts.. feel sorry for the managers.. they put a lot of money into the place... sad when new business ventures close so soon... such debt..

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I know it might seem fashionable to beat on Ramen in this thread but God almighty I was in there earlier and it was desperate. Chilli coconut chicken may as well have been called chilli coconut green veg. Very very poor. Tasteless and no chicken. Rice was dry and hard. Even the ice cream seemed off. Chilli Padi is miles ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Awh, sad to hear Huguenot is closed. I've eaten there twice and enjoyed both meals very much.

Has anyone gone to the Weir in the River Lee hotel. Looking at it maybe for Christmas party

Milly33 wrote: »
    Has anyone gone to the Weir in the River Lee hotel. Looking at it maybe for Christmas party

we actually went there one year for work - it has a nice atm for sure - but it was quiet.. (small bar with a tiny dance floor - there was a band).. if you have a good work crowd i guess ye can make your own craic..

the food was ok - but i remember the mains were totally dressed/garnished.. ie the gravy was already on the meat etc,. thats a no no for me.. but its only a small thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

sporina wrote: »
    the gravy was already on the meat etc,. thats a no no for me..

:confused:

• Advertisement

Thanks Sporina Oh I would be the same I would not fancy that now, they must ask first, the same with over salting food... Don't do it let it up to the person. I only came across it by chance, I was actually looking for the name of a restaurant that used to be in that area all I remember is you have seating fancy out across the water which is nice

Yeah wed have a bit of criac alright mind it is mostly men.. We normally go for dinner then out for drinks but maybe something like this would keep the gang together more... Any other suggestions for a good place for food. I have Currans on the list

We're going to the Cornstore for our christmas party, I've never been but have heard good things about it and there's a nice few pubs in the area, so hopefully it will be a bit of craic.

ncmc wrote: »
    We're going to the Cornstore for our christmas party, I've never been but have heard good things about it and there's a nice few pubs in the area, so hopefully it will be a bit of craic.

There are good pubs in the area, but I never went back to the Cornstore after my food arrived frozen in the center... that was about 5 years ago through.

Yeah have to say the Cornstore would be a let down for me for food.. We used to go there for the work party and it was just a bad idea.. The meal is always late, it is so loud downstairs you cant hear people talk even next to you. The food for me was always shocking.. Got duck one year and well it was a battle that's all ill say..

Cocktails are nice there, and maybe if you go a seat upstairs it would be quieter but I cant say now tis a winner...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I always found the Limerick Cornstore to be excellent. Haven't been to the one in Cork.

I have only been to the cornstore twice - again it was work - and would not go back.
    Cannot rem much about the 1st time - no reason in particular - but the 2nd time, one of the girls mains was cold when she got it and the waiter's response was "well it could not be, its just out of the oven"??? wft - like she was making it up...
    Anyway they took it away and while she had to sit and watch us all eat - they returned with her's about 15 mins later.. at that stage she didn't want it... the eve was spoiled..

but that was a few yrs ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

Reading this thread, you would think every restaurant in Cork is brutal. Maybe it should be renamed the restaurant bashing thread!

Oh no 🙈 Hope the Cornstore isn't all that bad! Though we rarely have a good meal at a Christmas night out. I think restaurants aren't at their best at that time of year. Though Isaacs was good last year.

MrRight1 wrote: »
    Reading this thread, you would think every restaurant in Cork is brutal. Maybe it should be renamed the restaurant bashing thread!

It's weird how one bad review or experience sticks in the mind eh. ;)

• Advertisement

MrRight1 wrote: »

well the nature of the beast is that people tend to complain more than compliment... but there are plenty of good reviews.. maybe you just pick up on the bad one's... glass half empty kind of scenario..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement