Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

I was at Zamora last night and it was really lovely. The food was very tasty, the staff were very friendly and there was a lovely atmosphere there. I'll be back.

nice one - what did you have?

its on my list of places to try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

sporina wrote: »
    nice one - what did you have?

its on my list of places to try

I had the salami and melted brie crostini with sundried tomatoes and pesto to start. For mains I had the chicken with scallion mash, with veg and some sauce, and then for dessert I had the blackberry and apple crumble. It was all very simple but very nice.
    My friend had the potted shrimp in chilli,garlic+herbs or starter and the quinoa and sweet potato cakes for her main. She was very happy with hers aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Tried Son of a Bun last night and really was not expecting much (burgers are just drunk or rushing food in my book, not worth sitting down for) but I was blown away by the Rebel Burger, it was excellent, lusciously tasty and recognisably quality, not the vulcanised offal that the crowns and arches places offer.
    I'd even say the burger WAS worth a tenner, but the chips were NOT worth 4.50! The blue cheese dressing lost the battle with the hot sauce and they were overall soggy.
    They also had too many FOH staff milling about but maybe that was in prep for the Jazz crowds.
    I'll go back, but not for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Almost every review now takes a pop at some other place. "vulcanised offal", right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Almost every review now takes a pop at some other place. "vulcanised offal", right.

So you take a pop but contribute nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Coqbull earlier. Different class. Not to mention a brilliant hiring policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Had lunch in Electric today and thought it could have been better. Ordered the steak sandwich which was virtually impossible to eat; was like a steak sliced in two and put between the bread so you could hardly take a bite without pulling a big half steak out of the sandwich and all the juice from it made the bread mush so it was very messy. First time eating there so I was a bit disappointed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Anyone been to Son of a Bun yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

eternal wrote: »
    Anyone been to Son of a Bun yet?

Review 5 posts before yours.
    Look up. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

gimmick wrote: »
    Coqbull earlier. Different class. Not to mention a brilliant hiring policy.

What's the hiring policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sangsung wrote: »
    What's the hiring policy?

Young and good looking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Had breakfast in Brick Lane recently.

Really top notch grub.

I had eggs Benedict and it was cooked to perfection.
    Great staff, nice buzz around the place and very reasonable price.

The only thing they could add is a few decent beers.

we needed somewhere to eat last night at 9.30 - not a lot to choose from - had a hankering for chicken so went to Coqbull as I had never been; head heard seriously contrasting reviews to took it as an opportunity to check it out..

it was bad.. worse than chicken and chips... i would have been better off going to hilly biliies.. i asked for a recommendation - got a mexican type chicken burger - it was pulverized chicken - laced with salt etc - in order to mask the lack of quality of meat no doubt.... man it was so salty..

staff were fab - but i will not be back...

ok - i like good food - i did only go there out of necessity (the gig went to totally clashed with dinner time)

but man, i prob would have got a better piece of chicken in hilly billies..

anyway at least now i can have an opinion on the place..

my OH had the same thoughts on his meal.. he had the bbq chicken something or other,,, mehhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Hi guys looking for a recommendation for a good midweek early bird option in town. My family are coming down Thursday for my graduation on Friday.

Basically at home we have dinner at 1ish so I'm assuming they will have a small dinner then at home and looking for a restaurant for supper at 6ish in cork...if anyone has any ideas it would be great. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Hi guys looking for a recommendation for a good midweek early bird option in town. My family are coming down Thursday for my graduation on Friday.

Basically at home we have dinner at 1ish so I'm assuming they will have a small dinner then at home and looking for a restaurant for supper at 6ish in cork...if anyone has any ideas it would be great. Thanks

Star Anise is very good.
    Opens at 6.
    Might be best to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Huguenot is closed down :(

https://www.facebook.com/huguenotcork?fref=ts
    -Toppy-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Huguenot is closed down :(

https://www.facebook.com/huguenotcork?fref=ts
    -Toppy-

What? Why? Never got to try it. It's isn't even open a year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Not sure, I presume costs etc but I have not heard officially
    It was pretty nice any time I went in but I always wondered why there was never anyone in the tapas bar downstairs (pure speculation though)

Its a little over year open at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just read that, such a shame, it was fast becoming one of my favourites. I wonder is it anything to do with the damage nearby to Aroi from the fire?

had a good read of thread and have choice narrowed down to: market lane, electric or mcgettigans in the ambassador mainly due to good reviews and decent prices

Others I considered but seem abit to pricey are Liberty grill, jacques, stair anaise and isaacs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I was in Electric last weekend for the earlybird.There were 4 of us and we really enjoyed it (our second time there ),its good value for 25e and I like the atmosphere ,staff are very nice and its not overcrowded.It does need to be booked early and the last time we went they rang on the day to confirm the booking.

Food in The Ambassador ain't too hectic.

Colser wrote: »
    I was in Electric last weekend for the earlybird.There were 4 of us and we really enjoyed it (our second time there ),its good value for 25e and I like the atmosphere ,staff are very nice and its not overcrowded.It does need to be booked early and the last time we went they rang on the day to confirm the booking.

Just rang and they are booked out with graduations...back to drawing board

Just rang and they are booked out with graduations...back to drawing board

Soho?

Soho?

bit to young and loud for my parents and aunt

bit to young and loud for my parents and aunt

Its not really,the age group is very mixed in the restaurant and there is a section out the front (near windows) thats usually nice and quiet.I love the food in there so keep it in mind if youre stuck. What about Dolce Vita..plenty parking outside if your parents are driving ..would they eat italian? It would be very suited for "Mature " people.:)

Its not really,the age group is very mixed in the restaurant and there is a section out the front (near windows) thats usually nice and quiet.I love the food in there so keep it in mind if youre stuck. What about Dolce Vita..plenty parking outside if your parents are driving ..would they eat italian? It would be very suited for "Mature " people.:)

Might go with soho, my dad is a very typical bogger irish man and unless its meat potatoe and veg its not dinner :p
    Thanks for suggestions though

Amicus?

eternal wrote: »
    Amicus?

OMG Totally forgot about amicus and I love the place!! thanks

• Advertisement

Currans might be an option for your family..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement