Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Silas45 wrote: »
    Went to Yuan Ming Yuan recently. Wanted to try their dim sum but it didn't seem to be on the menu. Had a chicken curry instead which was very nice but would love to go back to try the dim sum as I've heard great reviews.

Does the dim sum menu have to be booked in advance as it doesn't appear on their main menu? Also what would people recommend from it?

This is a really annoying thing about YMY.
    If they don't know you, they often assume that Irish people only want the 'Irish Chinese' menu.
    They have a few different menus always ask for all the menus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Silas45 wrote: »
    Went to Yuan Ming Yuan recently. Wanted to try their dim sum but it didn't seem to be on the menu. Had a chicken curry instead which was very nice but would love to go back to try the dim sum as I've heard great reviews.

Does the dim sum menu have to be booked in advance as it doesn't appear on their main menu? Also what would people recommend from it?

Just ask for it. You can ask for the Chinese menu as well if you want.

I really like the taro root dumplings, and the chicken feet. Any of the dumplings are delicious. Pork buns too. Only thing I'd skip really is the duck tongue. I can't get my head around the bone in the centre of a tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

They used to just hand them out but stopped at some point. Get fried tofu skin. Really, do! I like the pork buns as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Where's a nice spot for a Veggie and Carnivore couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

rob316 wrote: »

wow well it depends what you are looking for in terms of type of cuisine, price, quality etc..

Middle of the rd but romantic and good quality would be Orzo on pembrook st - small menu but lots of veggie options as well as meat...

Or zamora on Academy st.. bit of both bistro style..

Star Anise if you wanna spend more - its mediterranean

Cheap and cheerful - any mexican/italian/chinese/indian place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Go all out and head to the Ivory tower and our friends who are veggie said it was the best meal they had out in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Milly33 wrote: »
    Go all out and head to the Ivory tower and our friends who are veggie said it was the best meal they had out in a long time

Didn't go there for veggie but had some veggie dishes.
    over all it was probably the worst experience I've ever had eating out anywhere.

I wouldn't go back if they offered me a free meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

rob316 wrote: »

Go to Cafe Paradiso - I know it's all vegetarian, but you don't even notice.

For Yuan Ming Yuan - if you don't get the Dim Sum menu, just ask for it. They don't realise that a lot of Irish people will try things other than chicken curry with chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

dudara wrote: »
    Go to Cafe Paradiso - I know it's all vegetarian, but you don't even notice.

Hmmm, I would definitely disagree with this! I know one friend who is a 'carnivore' went there not knowing it was veggie but when he realised it he got up and left!

I don't know if you want city centre specifically, but I find Blackrock Castle Cafe quite good for a variety of veggie meals, and they have steaks and other meat heavy roast or 'stew' style dishes that change regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You I would agree, I went to paradiso last year and I certainly realised they had no meat on the menu as I love a good steak but this wasn't an option.

• Advertisement

If you don't want a specific veggie treat (Cafe paradiso, Iyers) Then there are a few places that do vegetarian menus along with omnivore options. Jacobs on the Mall has vegetarian and vegan menus. http://www.jacobsonthemall.com/menu/
    Ivory tower has a vegetarian menu, japanese influence. Both would be top-range.

For mid-range veggie options, the market lane group are pretty good. That's Market Lane, Orso and Blackrock Castle. The fourth restaurant in that group (Elbow Lane) doesn't do much for a vegetarian, it's a meat fest in there.

For low-end, the street markets do some good vegetarian bits. Brendan's burritos, Nut Case, Rocketman etc on the market circuit.

Malari wrote: »
    Hmmm, I would definitely disagree with this! I know one friend who is a 'carnivore' went there not knowing it was veggie but when he realised it he got up and left!

To be fair, that's no reflection on the food at Café Paradisso. It's a reflection on your friend's prejudiced notions. He didn't experience the food.
    People can be very odd when it comes to eating food without meat.

To be fair, that's no reflection on the food at Café Paradisso. It's a reflection on your friend's prejudice. He didn't experience the food.
    People can be very odd when it comes to eating food without meat.

That's not the point I was making though. I was simply refuting the point that you wouldn't notice it was all veggie. You certainly would, and quite quickly.

That's not the point I was making though. I was simply refuting the point that you wouldn't notice it was all veggie. You certainly would, and quite quickly.

The point I was making was that you'd need to eat the food to realise if you'd miss the meat, which was the point the poster was trying to make.

I think it would be pretty obvious on reading the menu that it is, in fact, vegetarian - unless you don't read English. I'm pretty sure the poster didn't mean people could literally be fooled into thinking they were eating meat. That would be illegal and would require pretty gullible customers.

The point I was making was that you'd need to eat the food to realise if you'd miss the meat, which was the point the poster was trying to make.

I think it would be pretty obvious on reading the menu that it is, in fact, vegetarian - unless you don't read English. I'm pretty sure the poster didn't mean people could literally be fooled into thinking they were eating meat. That would be illegal and would require pretty gullible customers.

Maybe so. It wasn't my experience there. I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a carnivore and I often eat veggie dishes when I'm out, but I do think that someone who usually eats steak or a meat-heavy dish when they are out wouldn't enjoy Cafe Paradiso.

Sorry everyone that last post was way too vague. I'm fairly clued in on the restaurant scence but my mind is blank. Going to try Zamora I think, thanks for the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maybe so. It wasn't my experience there. I certainly wouldn't describe myself as a carnivore and I often eat veggie dishes when I'm out, but I do think that someone who usually eats steak or a meat-heavy dish when they are out wouldn't enjoy Cafe Paradiso.

I would be a pretty heavy meat eater and I've enjoyed Cafe Paradiso each and every time I've eaten there.

The problem I think lies in the fact that there is a cohort of diners who think a sirloin or fillet steak is the only choice when dining out, and they're not very willing to expand past that.

limnam wrote: »
    Didn't go there for veggie but had some veggie dishes.
    over all it was probably the worst experience I've ever had eating out anywhere.

I wouldn't go back if they offered me a free meal.

Really god went in there once and it was grand like but must say I love the place any other time we have been. Mind you it isn't for a spuds and gravy eater

Well said about the meat and veggie options. Think a lot of it is OMG there is no meat in it what do you mean, shock, horror, rofl... Sad but true

dudara wrote: »
    I would be a pretty heavy meat eater and I've enjoyed Cafe Paradiso each and every time I've eaten there.

The problem I think lies in the fact that there is a cohort of diners who think a sirloin or fillet steak is the only choice when dining out, and they're not very willing to expand past that.

My aforementioned friend would be one of that cohort for sure :pac: I was just thinking a person described as a "carnivore" may not be open to a veg-only restaurant.

• Advertisement

ok so someone asks for a recommendation for a restaurant that has veggie and meat options - and then a "vegetarian" restaurant is suggested..

I mean, where is the objectivity in that???

That is so typical of this place.

Its not about where we like to eat - its about what the OP requires..

Sporina, lol, wha?

You know when you are in a couple, one half of the couple wants to treat the other half, or go do a thing they like the odd time. Kinda like dragging yourself to a rom-com or a sci-fi when it's not normally your thing. There were about 20 different options there, and the poster went to Zamora. A happy result all round!

Knickers untwisted?

pwurple wrote: »
    Sporina, lol, wha?

You know when you are in a couple, one half of the couple wants to treat the other half, or go do a thing they like the odd time. Kinda like dragging yourself to a rom-com or a sci-fi when it's not normally your thing. There were about 20 different options there, and the poster went to Zamora. A happy result all round!

Knickers untwisted?

Pwurple, i was referring to the fact that someone suggested Cafe Paradiso.. a vegetarian restaurant,, the OP asked for somewhere that would suit a veggie and carnivore.. hence I suggested places that serve both - Zamora being one of them..

Not sure how your post is relevant to mine

Actually don't think I'm going to go to Zamora, I like the look of Jacobs on the Mall, the vegan and vegetarian menu is very appealing too.

Actually don't think I'm going to go to Zamora, I like the look of Jacobs on the Mall, the vegan and vegetarian menu is very appealing too.

Enjoy, the food is good there. It's a great space too. It used to be the Turkish baths in the city, opened by Alf Jacobs in the 1890's. It was closed during the time of the cities polio epidemic after the second world war, but the facade is still the original doors to the baths.

OMG pwurple!! You sound so angry haha :)... I think we should all untwist our knickers both ladies and gents :)

Enjoy the meal Rob and sure make sure and come back to tell us how it goes

Will do folks, myself and the girlfriend are together 10 years so its a special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys, cop on, let's not get into personal attacks here please.

J Mysterio, please keep on topic of the thread

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    OMG pwurple!! You sound so angry haha :)... I think we should all untwist our knickers both ladies and gents :)

Enjoy the meal Rob and sure make sure and come back to tell us how it goes

Milly33, please report a post if you have a problem with it and don't backseat mod, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement