Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Milly33 wrote: »
    Words of wisdom sought..

So for late service restaurants in Cork.

I have Arthur Maynes but I would think that will be jammed on a Friday night and it will be later in the evening
    Weatherspoons is on the list alright but is there any other place

Looking to go for nums after the opera house so around 10ish

Milly sometimes the Opera House has meal and theatre deals with certain restaurants. Why don't you ring and ask them if there are any on, then you could find out if they are pre- or post-show deals. There might be one doing a late sitting if they are guaranteed the custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thanks Malari might take a look alright we defo need it for after as we wont have enough time beforehand there lies the catch with it, but sure ill see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just had a burger in Son Of A Bun.
    I just had the classic burger with no sides or drink - €7.50 (although it says €8 on the menu) Not bad value for a lightish lunch.

I liked the decor and the buzz of the place, the friendly staff , quick service - even the relatively loud music didn't bother me. I also liked the open wifi.

The burger was good - nice bun, good flavoured, well seasoned patty and sensible toppings but.....................
    they make a big song and a dance about serving their burgers pink but then don't follow through on that promise. Now, my burger wasn't grossly overcooked but it wasn't pink. I might return but I'll specify a pink burger, although pink is supposed to be the standard.

Also no one asked me during or after my burger how I enjoyed it.
    I left a feedback card, instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just had a burger in Son Of A Bun.
    I just had the classic burger with no sides or drink - €7.50 (although it says €8 on the menu) Not bad value for a lightish lunch.

I liked the decor and the buzz of the place, the friendly staff , quick service - even the relatively loud music didn't bother me. I also liked the open wifi.

The burger was good - nice bun, good flavoured, well seasoned patty and sensible toppings but.....................
    they make a big song and a dance about serving their burgers pink but then don't follow through on that promise. Now, my burger wasn't grossly overcooked but it wasn't pink. I might return but I'll specify a pink burger, although pink is supposed to be the standard.

Also no one asked me during or after my burger how I enjoyed it.
    I left a feedback card, instead.

I had the same thought about the pink burger!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Thought Son of a Bun was very comfortable, nice decor, nice staff. As for the burger I thought it was good, but not spectacular. Sides were all very nice, bit annoyed chips didn't come with rosemary seasoning as the menu stated. We both thought the burgers could have been a bit tastier, if anyone here has tried Bunsen in Dublin that's the best I have tasted in Ireland this was a good bit off. Overall I was expecting better given all buzz etc but would happily go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

I've having trouble deciding where to go for my graduation dinner, I love the likes of the market lane, electric and the cornstore, anyone have any recommendations I can't make my mind up where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

We liked market lane too so decided on Blackrock castle ( same company ) . It was really great and it was especially nice to get photos taken around the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Does son of a bun have table service aswell?, Spiderdan mentioned Bunsen in Dublin, the burgers are great but the staff are terrible and there is full table service for no reason at all, I hope son of a bun isn't like this because it ruins the casual burger place idea.

Table service, yes. I have no problem with that, doesnt ruin anything for me. Are you upset with table service in Eddie Rockets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Managed to eat in Salt on Victoria Avenue.
    It's all sharing plates in the evening.

We had a fish plate (€14) and the mini burgers (€6.90 I think?). Fish plate had loads on it. A mackerel mousse, smoked salmon slices, fish pate, huge pile of anchovies, pickled squid, two fish cakes and a little pile of salad. Burgers were tasty, 2 of them. Meat about the side of a golfball with mini bun, cheese and something else, relish maybe. they do desserts too, we had a brownie. Nice, warm and came with icecream.

Place was busy. It's a nice place, I'd go back.

• Advertisement

thanks pwurple! Passed it twice now and was thinking of calling in but twas too busy... Fish plate sounds yummie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Very impressed with the Fish bar. The sharing plate and the oysters were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Went to Son of a Bun last night.

They were getting pretty busy when we arrived (6.30pm), it looked pretty hectic. We had to leave our names and wait for a while, came back and were waiting some more. Turns out there was a bit of a mix up, they thought a table was clearing off when it wasn't. They were very apologetic about it and found somewhere to put us, rather then waiting for another 20 mins.

Once you're seated it doesn't seem as hectic. The seats are spaced out nicely from one another so you're not crammed on top of people. The decor was nice and the staff were lovely.

I got a cheese burger and the sister got the chilli burger. They were both cooked perfectly, pink, not at all over cooked. Nice flavour, not at all greasy or heavy. The bun was really light too, which i liked.

We shared sides of chips, onion rings and coleslaw, all of which we top notch i have to say. Also had some churros for desert, they were great too.

The whole thing cost €50 for two burgers, 3 sides, 1 desert, 2 beers and 2 espressos. I feel this is about normal. The food was pretty good quality over and all, the atmosphere was nice, the staff were sound too. Overall, a really nice experience.

I can't compare to Gourmet Burger as i haven't been, but it's certainly streets ahead of Coqbull and Joe Burger in Dublin.

I hope they manage to keep up the momentum. It's nice to see that side of the city busy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Snap! I was also in Son of a Bun last night, another thumbs up from me. The three people with me all got burgers cooked pink and said they were among the best they've ever had. I got the dirty chicken burger, really impressed with that too - although I'm not sure it had the blue cheese sauce that was meant to be on it, or if it did it wasn't very strong.
    Only minor thing - something a few people here have mentioned - was that the rosemary salt was missing from the fries despite asking for it when I ordered. The mac n cheese wasn't amazing either, but the other sides were really good. Nice beer selection too, I'll be back.

Yeah, the chips are nice but its dissapointing not to have that rosemary salt on it.

There's a few things which they claim to deliver which they dont but, really, they're minor complaints for a new place which mostly delivers really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Had Son of a Bun today also. I was a bot underwhelmed if I'm honest. Got the S.O.B burger. It was cooked pink as described, but I found the burger itself to be a bit on the small side. It was flavoursome though. The bun was nice but served stone cold. I assume that's the way they serve it but I prefer my bun to be warmed though.

Sweet potato fries on the side were tasty- cooked well. Churroso for dessert were poor. The were a bit soggy in the centre, not enough sugar and the chocolate dipping sauce was very bland.

All in all, it was fine. Will definitely try it again, but I prefer Gourmet Burger if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

managed to try 3 different places I wanted to in Cork today! i was on a diet last few days and unleashed today when I was dropping the brother back to Cork.

1) Son of a Bun for the Black burger. I thought it was pretty shíte to be honest. Most of it was there, the bun was nice, black pudding nice, but the burger meat was just crap. Not a PATCH on Bunsen in Dublin. I thought it'd be similiar as both minced on site but I was wrong, it was more a Rockin Joes job, not even Eddie Rockets. Maybe it's because I got it medium as I was on my phone when the waiter asked if medium was OK! My fault I know. Anyway, pretty crap and small portion as well for €10

2) Walked about town and UCC for a few hours then headed to Elbow Lane. Place was packed out so we were seated outside. Lamb main was sold out, so just got prawn starter and friend got the brisket starter. Unreal. Really tasty and just really different. Will definitely be back to try more.

3) Headed straight from Elbow Lane to Bad Boys BBQ. Got the chilli beef tortilla special and friend got the ribs. Very tasty again even after all the food before! Rib meat was just falling off the bone and sauce prob best I've ever had. Chilli beef was solid but tortillas weren't made up and I was too lazy to do it myself. Just ate the beef with the white sauce and lovely potato salad. Very good and will be back to try more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭sporina

managed to try 3 different places I wanted to in Cork today! i was on a diet last few days and unleashed today when I was dropping the brother back to Cork.

1) Son of a Bun for the Black burger. I thought it was pretty shíte to be honest. Most of it was there, the bun was nice, black pudding nice, but the burger meat was just crap. Not a PATCH on Bunsen in Dublin. I thought it'd be similiar as both minced on site but I was wrong, it was more a Rockin Joes job, not even Eddie Rockets. Maybe it's because I got it medium as I was on my phone when the waiter asked if medium was OK! My fault I know. Anyway, pretty crap and small portion as well for €10

2) Walked about town and UCC for a few hours then headed to Elbow Lane. Place was packed out so we were seated outside. Lamb main was sold out, so just got prawn starter and friend got the brisket starter. Unreal. Really tasty and just really different. Will definitely be back to try more.

3) Headed straight from Elbow Lane to Bad Boys BBQ. Got the chilli beef tortilla special and friend got the ribs. Very tasty again even after all the food before! Rib meat was just falling off the bone and sauce prob best I've ever had. Chilli beef was solid but tortillas weren't made up and I was too lazy to do it myself. Just ate the beef with the white sauce and lovely potato salad. Very good and will be back to try more.

why didn't you try white rabbit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

sporina wrote: »
    why didn't you try white rabbit?

Probably because he was full?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm suddenly not as eager to try son of a bun - the reviews on here have been very average!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭sporina

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Probably because he was full?

dah - no i mean, say, try it as oppose to one of the other places.. just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Have to really really recommend 'Drake's' on French church street.Went there last Friday night and got amazing food for 21 euro for three courses.
    The portions were huge,the ambience was really nice and the food was really tasty.
    The menu is extensive and is excellent value.
    God the goats' cheese bruschetta with a huge well-dressed salad for starters.God the red thai curry for main course,followed by the crumble for dessert.

Could not fault.Would highly recommend.

I know everyone says that Ramen has gone downhill fast but I gotta say I've been really happy with the one in Douglas since it opened. Have been there 3 times for the 6 before 6 and was very impressed, rendang yesterday was especially nice. The only thing that annoys me - the footpaths in Douglas are absolutely destroyed in ice cream since the place opened. People filling the free cones just for the craic and then tossing them on the footpath it seems. That's a problem with the customers rather than the restaurant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I know everyone says that Ramen has gone downhill fast but I gotta say I've been really happy with the one in Douglas since it opened. Have been there 3 times for the 6 before 6 and was very impressed, rendang yesterday was especially nice. The only thing that annoys me - the footpaths in Douglas are absolutely destroyed in ice cream since the place opened. People filling the free cones just for the craic and then tossing them on the footpath it seems. That's a problem with the customers rather than the restaurant though.

nail on the head

where is it in Douglas then, haven't spotted it. Himself likes it but to me tis rank..

Drakes Restaurant too would they do Christmas parties? Havent been but the menu looks nice and im looking for different options for work wanted to do something fun but looks like tis dinenr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh no, the restaurant in Iberian way is closed? :( At least I think this is what their FaceBook post says:

Important announcement!
    The restaurant will be CLOSE next THURSDAY!
    On Thursday, our Boutique Gourmet OPENS as normal from 12:00 to 20:00 pm, but NOT LATASCA which remains CLOSED. Thanks for your understanding

They don't just mean one day, do they? :p It's not clear, I'd better ring them!

Milly33 wrote: »
    where is it in Douglas then, haven't spotted it. Himself likes it but to me tis rank.

In the old La Lavanda building by East Village

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Drake's is really really nice.I would say phone up about party options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I was at Zamora last night and it was really lovely. The food was very tasty, the staff were very friendly and there was a lovely atmosphere there. I'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

Went to Roosters Piri Piri in Douglas Saturday night. Effing delish. Got the whole chicken platter for two. €17.95 including two sides. Basically a whole chicken, quartered, which you just grab and eat. Very simple and very delicious. Not too spicy, and had a bit of smoky charcoal flavour from the grill.

By the way, there are also two other similar restaurants called "Roosters Pil Pil". One in Douglas, and one in Ballincollig. They are not related to eachother. It's kind of odd. They opened up around the same time too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement