Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Yep, went to Sage a few weeks ago for a birthday dinner, the beef shin was one of the nicest plates of food ive ever eaten

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

ahhhh Sage is a realllllllly reallllly great restaurant... i wish I lived closer to it - or it was closer to me.... have only had the pleasure of eating there during the day - would love to go at night but we would need a DD.... such great food.. you imagine that the carrots were in the earth hours before they reached your plate,. and the chicken so delicious you just know it had a happy life... drool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had Ramon a few times now as its very close to me in cork well where the 1st one that opened is. Its ok i wont be saying its fantastic at all very meh there duck spring rolls are lovely i give them that.

Also don't rate Coqbull at all the last time i was there was with my sister and we both sent back or burgers they where that bad she got the portobello mushroom burger and the mushroom wasn't even cooked and my burger was completely rare in the middle as like burger cooked trow. Wont be back there in hurry.

Liberty Grill now that place is fantastic love there burgers there and there chicken wings are something else.

But i get a fantastic curry from a Indian on north main st sent to me they do a proper tastey madras and there nam bread is also great.

Have seen Elbow Lane there as they have a few craft beers on draft is it any good now is the main thing ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Elbow lane I've been there three times (lucky me!) and it was good food each time. Better when you get in early and get a proper table rather than eating at the bar. But I love that whole charred thing. Blackened fish, steak, and even chucking lettuce on the fire for a minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Is the ambassador hotel restaurant nice lads and ladies?
    Booked it on a whim for tonight just there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Went to the ambassador.savage grub,decent price.good vibe and a really nice place.lovely staff and would defo go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ramen tonight. Pad Thai with chicken. Absolutely excellent. An ample quantity of obviously fresh chicken, fresh veg, piping hot.... excellent. It's more like a Char kway teow with chicken than a Pad Thai, but very tasty. Delivered to the door in 20 minutes. Tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Had Dim Dum in Yuan Ming yesterday It was fab, definately would recommend it, even the O/H, a fussy eater at the best of times enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Went to the Strasbourg Goose 2 weeks ago myself and the wife, it was bitterly disappointing. From the food to the service, it was awful.

Such a shame, I used to love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh no shame to hear love the place too but haven't been there in a while

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh no shame to hear love the place too but haven't been there in a while

The service was the worst, the waiter was just so cold, a foreign chap with fairly poor English, the other waitress was no better.

We were absolutely rushed through our meal, the table of 6 in front of us were only just been served their starters when we finished our mains. Granted we are just 2 plates so it would be quicker but this was ridiculous, as soon as one plate left the table the next course was out. I couldn't breath or enjoy it. I actually had to tell them come back in 15 minutes and we will order dessert then.

My starter was a pudding salad, the lettuce was drowning in a very sharp Caesar dressing and the pudding was cremated.
    I had the ribeye it was tasteless, unseasoned and a very thinly cut steak.

I do remember when it kinda started going that way.. And it was just about bareable when it started..Another one bites the dust then

I do remember when it kinda started going that way.. And it was just about bareable when it started..Another one bites the dust then

Very much quantity over quality. Unlimited potato gratin and chips says it all.

Like it was €23 for 3 courses, I wasn't expecting amazing but I did expect better. Solid food is what I always got and expected from the Strasbourg Goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I went back to Elbow Lane last night and highly recommend that for a glorious ribeye.

anyone been to Son of a Bun? opened last night..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gourmet Burger, took me far too long to try it, lovely atmosphere as it was quiet, nice music, relaxed & the food was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Went to Son of a Bun for lunch. Really good burger. Chips were supposed to be 'Rosemary' but weren't - no flavour to them - but they were grand.

Fairly pricey for lunch but you'd hardly be going there to often as you'd have a cardiac arrest. €8.50 for the cheeseburger and €3.50 for chips. €12 all in, acceptable.

Words of wisdom sought..

So for late service restaurants in Cork.

I have Arthur Maynes but I would think that will be jammed on a Friday night and it will be later in the evening
    Weatherspoons is on the list alright but is there any other place

Looking to go for nums after the opera house so around 10ish

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Went to Son of a Bun for lunch. Really good burger. Chips were supposed to be 'Rosemary' but weren't - no flavour to them - but they were grand.

Fairly pricey for lunch but you'd hardly be going there to often as you'd have a cardiac arrest. €8.50 for the cheeseburger and €3.50 for chips. €12 all in, acceptable.

you didn't get a drink? i assume they have meal deals?

so what was the atmosphere/vibe like? from what I have seen on FB I would assume its kinda fun?

sporina wrote: »
    you didn't get a drink? i assume they have meal deals?

so what was the atmosphere/vibe like? from what I have seen on FB I would assume its kinda fun?

I cheaped out and got tap water :o

Yeah, the atmosphere is good. It was lunch so it was very busy but the place is cool. It's very big though so I would be surprised if over time they manage to fill it out regularly. They have plenty of comfortable looking booths, though I sat up by the window.

They have like a maitre D when you come in. The staff are very friendly but almost a little too attentive, not really letting you get on with it but I imagine that's first day 'excitement'?

They didn't really seem to have meal deals as such. You order your burger and sides (chips etc) separately. They had a 'burger of the month' though it didn't seem to be discounted so i don't know what the point is (it was €10, the cheeseburger was €8.50). It's not cheap but its good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Words of wisdom sought..

So for late service restaurants in Cork.

I have Arthur Maynes but I would think that will be jammed on a Friday night and it will be later in the evening
    Weatherspoons is on the list alright but is there any other place

Looking to go for nums after the opera house so around 10ish

Yuan Ming Yuan serve pretty late.
    Not sure about after 10 though.

Edit: just checked and they're open till 11.30 so you should be fine.

I cheaped out and got tap water :o

Yeah, the atmosphere is good. It was lunch so it was very busy but the place is cool. It's very big though so I would be surprised if over time they manage to fill it out regularly. They have plenty of comfortable looking booths, though I sat up by the window.

They have like a maitre D when you come in. The staff are very friendly but almost a little too attentive, not really letting you get on with it but I imagine that's first day 'excitement'?

They didn't really seem to have meal deals as such. You order your burger and sides (chips etc) separately. They had a 'burger of the month' though it didn't seem to be discounted so i don't know what the point is (it was €10, the cheeseburger was €8.50). It's not cheap but its good quality.

cheap would be poor quality no?
    anyway is it fast food or restaurant? do they use plates/cutlery? is the food home made?
    and how do prices compare with competition? ie with gourmet burger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

From the pictures I've seen, the burgers look delicious. Well up for giving it a try before too long.

serious competition between it and bad boys i'd say

sporina wrote: »
    cheap would be poor quality no?
    anyway is it fast food or restaurant? do they use plates/cutlery? is the food home made?
    and how do prices compare with competition? ie with gourmet burger?

Jasus you're demanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jasus you're demanding.

LOL, ANSWER ZE QUESTIONS! :p

I'll guess it is table service, plates and cutlery for 12 euro burger & chips? That's what I'd expect anyway. Price lower would be the cardboard box and a tray service.

I don't need the burger comparison prices with other places. There are roughly a bazillion burger places in cork now, you'd be all day and night comparing them.

pwurple wrote: »
    LOL, ANSWER ZE QUESTIONS! :p

I'll guess it is table service, plates and cutlery for 12 euro burger & chips? That's what I'd expect anyway. Price lower would be the cardboard box and a tray service.

I don't need the burger comparison prices with other places. There are roughly a bazillion burger places in cork now, you'd be all day and night comparing them.

that what i figured..

but if your gonna talk about price you really have to compare with the immediate competition... and while there are lots of places that offer burgers... Gourmet Burger would spring to my mind as an obvious benchmark for Son of a Bun, as they both speciaize in Burgers.

They're very similar. Both similarly priced and both good quality. At the moment I would actually lean to Son of a Bun for a burger but who knows if they can maintain a high standard consistently, though I suppose they will.

Gourmet Burger is good for some other things though such as Falafel burgers etc. which set them apart a little - Son of a Bun is pretty much a burger bar whereas Gourmet Burger have more variety.

Bad boys stuff looks very American style covered in sauces kinda of stuff. haven't tried it but anytime I look at the pics on their page im like yuck.. heard WHite rabbit is much better.

Thanks beer revolu not sure would we go for curry style place but good to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bad boys stuff looks very American style covered in sauces kinda of stuff. haven't tried it but anytime I look at the pics on their page im like yuck.. heard WHite rabbit is much better.

Thanks beer revolu not sure would we go for curry style place but good to know

Yuan Ming Yuan isn't a curry style place. It's a very good Chinese restaurant.
    You'll struggle to find somewhere serving food after 10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement