Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Cornstore is a shockingly bad place. Don't know how it is still there.

Will never forget the mushroom bruschetta (or so they called it) they served up

Brutal

For a city with so many great eateries, why do people persist with places like
    Cornstore

Same people own Bullcoq I believe (makes sense)

Bewildering that a fine place like Hugenots shuts down while these other places keep on going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Any idea of where i might get a good lunch on Saturday at around 2pm ?. As i have a few hours of notting to do so going to go all out and fill myself up before a night of drinking.

So where could i get a full proper fancy lunch ? EG whats open ?.

Any of them BBQ style places open ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Any idea of where i might get a good lunch on Saturday at around 2pm ?. As i have a few hours of notting to do so going to go all out and fill myself up before a night of drinking.

So where could i get a full proper fancy lunch ? EG whats open ?.

Any of them BBQ style places open ?.

Coqbull could be worth a shout

Coqbull could be worth a shout

Dont rate Coqbull at all. The one time i was there it was slop on plate one of the worst burgers i have ever had !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

Dont rate Coqbull at all. The one time i was there it was slop on plate one of the worst burgers i have ever had !!!!

Head out to Roosters Piri Piri in Douglas. Simple BBQ/Nandos style food but very enjoyable and tasty as ****.

• Advertisement

sangsung wrote: »
    Head out to Roosters Piri Piri in Douglas. Simple BBQ/Nandos style food but very enjoyable and tasty as ****.

Going to be in the city centre.

I never go out to douglas to much of a pain LoL. But thanks for the help might make it my hang over cure on Sunday ;)

I never go out to douglas to much of a pain LoL. But thanks for the help might make it my hang over cure on Sunday ;)

Grand. But do check it out some day!

If you like this new Asian "street food" stuff, go to Chilli Padi on Father Matthew street, just off south mall. It's hidden away down an alley. They usually have a great lunch deal between 12pm - 4pm. €8 max, and you'll be stuffed.

An absolutely fantastic BBQ place is "Nosta", on Marlborough Street.

If you want BBQ meat, then go there. It's bloody delicious.

I would recommend the "lamb grill". If you're a big lad, go for the "mixed grill". it's a huge platter of barbequed meat, with chips, lebanese bread, salad, sauce.

You won't taste a nicer lump of charcoal grilled meat in your life.

In fact I am going there tomorrow, just because I wrote this. Thanks for inspiring me.

Forget Chilli Padi. Go to Nosta. And report back here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The chicken is excellent but the place is a bit of a kip! Takeaway/ delivery only for me.

Never heard of Nosta - good shout - will investigate!

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The chicken is excellent but the place is a bit of a kip! Takeaway/ delivery only for me.

There's a copy cat in Douglas called Rooster pilpil. It's very confusing. The one beside Haveli is the good one. Defo not a kip. (Rooster piri piri)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Nosta is a BBq place now!! Oh the used to be Mediterranean which was great.. Went in there twice and the food while a little more pricey was yummie.. Lovely staff too

Regards the restaurant bashing thread, well it is honest reviews by people who visit the restaurants..

There's a copy cat in Douglas called Rooster pilpil. It's very confusing. The one beside Haveli is the good one. Defo not a kip. (Rooster piri piri)

Oh sorry, I was thinking of Rooster Pil Pil alright.

They have excellent chicken though.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Nosta is a BBq place now!! Oh the used to be Mediterranean which was great.. Went in there twice and the food while a little more pricey was yummie.. Lovely staff too

Regards the restaurant bashing thread, well it is honest reviews by people who visit the restaurants..

It always had BBQ meat on the menu. The "skewer" stuff is BBQ meat eg. Lamb skewers, Chicken Skewers etc. Has that nice BBQ charcoal taste.

Ah see now to me BBq is like BBq if you know what I mean... Must pay another trip in there it is nice to see a restaurant lasting a while in the spot.

Sporina think we are just here to disagree :) in the nicest way. Nope im all up for ranting and raving about a place if it is good, if tis bad though I have no issues in saying so. I think especially in Ireland a lot of people tend to be too soft saying sure tis grand, im all up for no that was crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Family have booked Cornstore for my brothers graduation, is it really that bad?

It did change hands recently so it might not be that bad anymore. I think if it is a big group of people stay well away, if there are a few of ye sure they cant do that much damage. I would maybe ask for a table upstairs as downstairs is way too loud

rob316 wrote: »

I'm very surprised at the negative comments on it. The one in Limerick is really very good so I'd be shocked if there is a massive difference between that and the Cork one.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Was there twice with work last year (group of 10) and was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭sporina

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ah see now to me BBq is like BBq if you know what I mean... Must pay another trip in there it is nice to see a restaurant lasting a while in the spot.

Sporina think we are just here to disagree :) in the nicest way. Nope im all up for ranting and raving about a place if it is good, if tis bad though I have no issues in saying so. I think especially in Ireland a lot of people tend to be too soft saying sure tis grand, im all up for no that was crap...

sorry i dont' understand what you mean?:confused::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Anyone have an opinion of Kudos? My parents will be visiting and staying at the Clarion, curious if it's worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

nerwen wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion of Kudos? My parents will be visiting and staying at the Clarion, curious if it's worth a visit.

Kudos is good for a casual bar meal. In the end, it is a bar first and foremost. I practically lived in the Clarion for a year and Kudos was always reliable.
    rob316 wrote:
    IMO, no. It's pretty good. I've been there for personal meals and part of work crowds. I would consider it reliable. I think the one in Limerick isn't actually as good.

sporina wrote: »
    sorry i dont' understand what you mean?:confused::)

We seem to have different opinions all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Had brunch at Brick lane today. Highly recommended! Nicest brunch I've had in Cork. I had the veggie breakfast which was a lot nicer than the usual veggie breakfast you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Cornstore is a lovely restaurant.I have eaten here lots of times.

While I have not eaten in Kudos it would not be a popular restaurant in Cork by any means.

I would say''Drakes', 'Market Lane','Electric' or 'Strasbourg Goose' are very nice and popular Cork restaurants,which I have eaten in many times.Have a look on tripadvisor.

New Japanese place across from Anglesea St. Garda station. Sakura. Nothing to do with the McCurtain st. one it seems.

Anybody try it? Had a peek inside and looks delish (if you're into japanese stuff). Mostly takeaway as there are only 3 or 4 tables, and they're outside!

They do a 5yoyo deal too. One hot meal & drink. Bento box deal as well for 8yoyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nope.

Went to oscers for the 1st time yesterday for lunch had a grilled chicken sandwich and it was fantastic and so tasty. There bread is really nice as I think it's proper homemade bread from a baker in cork.

It had chicken chesse bacon and dijon mustard on it and I got a bottle of water as well and worked out about 8 euros that is really good valve for money and will be back again for another of these fantastic sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

It's not terrible, it's not great, middle of the road but you can get much better for the price. I've given up on the place after my last visit. Not worth the money in my mind.

OT - Went to CoqBull and Son of A bun in the last week, huge difference in terms of quality, Son of a Bun much better and bigger portions.

CoqBull isn't great, asked for a medium burger, didn't get a medium burger. Charged a supplement for sweet potato fries without telling us in advance about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭sporina

5 of us when to The Pav for lunch yesterday.. i had a tiger prawn salad and it was delicious.. hmm.. i would loved to have asked for the recipe of the dressing..
    The others all had ciabatta type sandwiches.. and plates were cleared... all good..
    Service was great - staff v attentive... and the place is very comfortable... Would recommend defo..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement