Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

sozbox wrote: »

CoqBull isn't great, asked for a medium burger, didn't get a medium burger. Charged a supplement for sweet potato fries without telling us in advance about it.

I hate when that happens. Nowadays, when the waiter/waitress asks "would you like XYZ with that?" I say no. Even if they're only offering one teaspoon of ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Charged a supplement for sweet potato fries without telling us in advance about it.

Is this information not on the menu?
    If you were asked if you'd like a drink with your meal would you expect to be told that it costs extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Went to Chilli Padi on Fr. Mathew St. last night. Overall, happy enough but with one major problem. The rice had obviously been cooked (much) earlier and was dried out and hard. It was edible but just about - should not have been served to paying customers in my opinion. I would have sent it back but we were starving and in a bit of a rush.

Besides that issue, the food was good and the value can't be beat. €8 for any main course, including a cone, with €1.50 extra for a can of mineral. I paid €64 for 6 people (2 adults, 2 teens, 2 tweens), including a bottle of wine (€18) and the portions were so big we brought plenty home (the amount of 2 full size meals approx). I will definitely try it again but won't accept rice-related problems next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Went to Chilli Padi on Fr. Mathew St. last night. Overall, happy enough but with one major problem. The rice had obviously been cooked (much) earlier and was dried out and hard. It was edible but just about - should not have been served to paying customers in my opinion. I would have sent it back but we were starving and in a bit of a rush.

Besides that issue, the food was good and the value can't be beat. €8 for any main course, including a cone, with €1.50 extra for a can of mineral. I paid €64 for 6 people (2 adults, 2 teens, 2 tweens), including a bottle of wine (€18) and the portions were so big we brought plenty home (the amount of 2 full size meals approx). I will definitely try it again but won't accept rice-related problems next time.

you should have spoke to them about the rice - it would not have taken them long to serve you fresh rice - or if you were in a rush etc you should have at least told them about it before paying..
    there is a lot to be said for constructive criticism - it should not be seen as a bad thing - its gives the restaurant a chance to fix the problem or make up for it.. and they also get to learn the lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

My recent restaurant visits were:

Iberian Way - I very much enjoyed this place. It's laid back and quite rustic, but I think that allows them to be very reasonable with price. It's a really varied tapas menu with a few specials. The guys made a couple of wine recommendations too and were efficient and friendly.

The Pav - extremely disappointing. I thought the menu didn't look appetising at all. I finally tried a risotto that seemed like rice smothered in cheese. Also they don't have a wine "list" or card or whatever and they weren't listed on the menu. I asked what red wines there were and they couldn't tell me! She said there was a red she thought was Chilean. Turns out it was Jacob's Creek! :pac: Would not return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

sporina wrote: »
    you should have spoke to them about the rice - it would not have taken them long to serve you fresh rice - or if you were in a rush etc you should have at least told them about it before paying..
    there is a lot to be said for constructive criticism - it should not be seen as a bad thing - its gives the restaurant a chance to fix the problem or make up for it.. and they also get to learn the lesson

You pay before you get the food.

I did mention it to the waiter when he asked how we enjoyed our meal. My point is that the kitchen should not send out rice like that - they shouldn't need the customers to tell them that it's unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

true they should have copped it before sending it out to you

byronbay2 wrote: »
    You pay before you get the food.

I did mention it to the waiter when he asked how we enjoyed our meal. My point is that the kitchen should not send out rice like that - they shouldn't need the customers to tell them that it's unacceptable.

auch - didn't know you pay before you get the food - only ever got take out from there..

of course they should not send out food like that - but hey, restaurants do a lot of things they should not do...

well at least you said it to the waiter - what was his response?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Guys, I'm looking for somewhere to take my inlaws for a meal. They aren't real foodies, so it doesn't have to be anywhere fancy. I'd prefer city centre as they don't get up to the city much and somewhere that does a reasonable three course early bird. I was thinking Strasbourg Goose? I have never been, but I know it's popular. Oh, and we will have a smallie with us, so somewhere that will comfortably fit a high chair. Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

ncmc wrote:
    Guys, I'm looking for somewhere to take my inlaws for a meal. They aren't real foodies, so it doesn't have to be anywhere fancy. I'd prefer city centre as they don't get up to the city much and somewhere that does a reasonable three course early bird. I was thinking Strasbourg Goose? I have never been, but I know it's popular. Oh, and we will have a smallie with us, so somewhere that will comfortably fit a high chair. Ta!

Myself and my family went to amicus on Thursday night for the early bird and it was great. 5 of us altogether and we nearly all got different things the choice was that good and not one complaint! Think it was €23.95 for three courses and if u wanted you could cup a starter or desert for a glass of wine or beer...great value imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Pity to see that Hassetts on the Crosshaven Rd has closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

kcb wrote: »
    Pity to see that Hassetts on the Crosshaven Rd has closed down.

Not surprising, service there has been shocking, and as for the coffee, Maxwell Hse mild blend diluted even more.

roundymac wrote: »
    Not surprising, service there has been shocking, and as for the coffee, Maxwell Hse mild blend diluted even more.

they have a new place on washington street i think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

roundymac wrote: »

That's true. A bit out of the way too so could see how they might have struggled. They had the place done up nicely though and generally a pity to see places go.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Market Lane, Cornstore and Elbow Lane are really nice. For hotel food, recently ate here and it was lovely http://www.carrigcourt.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaryMD

I agree on cornstore fab steaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to Up Down grill place last night, it was alright. I'd say the pork belly ribs were actually really good, but the menu feels confused. Looking at it they definitely want to be at least somewhat Asian but then they also have steaks and burgers. So I guess fusion? There's nothing about the sirloin that's Asian though - it comes with pepper sauce and chips. One of my friends had it, he was quite pleased. Nice cook on a small steak. He liked the wings he had for a starter too, a bit unusual with honey and lemon.

My pork belly was meant to come with garlic shoots (can't say I found any) on a bed of stir fried Asian veg (definitely, lots of Chinese cabbage) with a rice pilaf (dunno about the pilaf part, was just a watery jasmine rice). Much of the food is served on boards which isn't everyone's thing and there's randomly whole spices lying around (accidentally chewed on both cloves and star anise).

I'd love to say I'll be back as the service was great and the food was generally decent but I doubt I will until they update the menu.

nerwen wrote: »

Went to Up Down grill place last night, it was alright. I'd say the pork belly ribs were actually really good, but the menu feels confused.

Without even looking at the rest of your review, that's the reason my gf and I walked away from the door. We couldn't make heads nor tails of the menu outside so we gave up.

I'm sure if I spent longer studying it, I might find something I like, but it was cold that evening so I moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Whole cloves, star anise as part of the meal and food on boards instead of plates? All things I would gladly chuck into room 101 along with bathroom air hand dryers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I hate my food served on wooden boards and slate. Wood in particular comes across very unhygienic, once its scored bacteria will get into the indent and fester.

I cant remember where it was (Dublin I think) but I got fish and chips somewhere last year and it came on a slate, the chips were stacked like a jenga puzzle and the fish was in a basket that looked like a mini fryer. It was ridiculous I just asked for a plate instead, they said they didn't have any. :(

I don't know about you but I hate the sensation of a knife scraping something rough like slate.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »

I hate my food served on wooden boards and slate. Wood in particular comes across very unhygienic, once its scored bacteria will get into the indent and fester.

Wooden boards are actually antibacterial! Much more hygenic than plastic.

http://commonsensehome.com/wooden-cutting-boards/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We ate in the bar in Fota Resort recently and my husband's fish came in a basket. Obviously he had to take it out of the basket to eat it and when he put the basket on the table (because there was nowhere else to put it) it left a load of grease on it. His burger that evening was served on a wooden board that had been oiled to make it shiny. (That's actually what we were told.) The problem was that the oil hadn't soaked in completely so it was just sitting there making the food oily. He asked for a plate and they gave him one. It's a pity, because for the most part the food was really good. I had spinach tortellini and it was amazing. At €18 (at lunchtime!) it would want to be! It's probably the most overpriced place I've ever eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

OT - Went to CoqBull and Son of A bun in the last week, huge difference in terms of quality, Son of a Bun much better and bigger portions.

Where is Son of a Bun? I liked CoqBull my one and only time I went but I like to try different places.
    Charged a supplement for sweet potato fries without telling us in advance about it.

It's listed on the menu that the sweet potato fries (and a few other sides) cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

kingtut wrote: »
    Where is Son of a Bun?

McCurtain St.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Went out for two meals this week.

First up, dinner in Brick Lane. I'm a huge fan of their brunch, and their lunch is good, but it was my first sampling of the dinner menu. There really isn't much variety and all options were very heavy, especially for someone like me who wouldn't have a huge appetite. There was also a severe lack of veggie options which put me right off. I got the bacon and cheese burger which was delicious, the service was friendly and prompt as always, and its great value for money.
    However, for lack of better terms, its not "my kind of food". Not mad into burgers and pizza, I'd go more for risotto, pasta, exotic salads etc so the meat heavy menu isn't for me. Still a huge fan of their brunch and lunch menus though.

Second was to East Village. The less said the better! One of the worst meals I've ever had, and my friend thought the same. Bland, poor presentation, not executed properly, not as described on menu..I could go on. Lovely friendly apologetic waiter was the only saving grace. Do not see the attraction to the place at all and I'm a huge fan of SoHo. Baffling!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

East village is just Meh. I'd cook the same or better at home. My friends love the place but I think the attraction is more it's seen as a cool place. Been there many a time it's never been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It's years since I've been to East Village, the last couple of times I was there, it was unbearably loud to the point where it spoiled the meal. Wouldn't be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Just been to Haveli in Douglas for the first time in ages. Very happy - shared tandoori prawns, murgh makhani (butter chicken) and Dahl haveli which was a creamy curry of back lentils and kidney beans. We also had potato stuffed parathas. Very nice. I recommend for anyone who likes Indian food. A few northern Indian friends recommended the place so we gave it another bash and my husband who is of Indian origan demolished the food (as did I :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    That's a shame about Huguenot, really liked it in there. Hopefully they open another place in town in the future.
    Must try Gallo & Galetti some time.

So "some time" turned out to be less than two weeks after posting that. Went last night. Italian restaurant in Wilton, run by the same people that were behind Huguenot.
    Food was lovely. It was busy, good atmosphere. The place is more casual than Huguenot. There were a few families there with young kids not that that's a bad thing.

For starters, we got garlic bread with cheese to share. Two slices of inch thick, nice soft bread. Tasty.

Then I got a pasta dish with mushrooms and pancetta with a white wine truffle cream sauce. Nicest pasta I've had in a long time.
    Girlfriend got chicken with mushroom truffle cream sauce (not everything on the menu comes with this sauce! Just a coincidence :pac:). Chicken came with rustic potatoes. Looked nice & she said it was lovely.

We were full so didn't get dessert. Will give starters a skip next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Silas45

Went to Yuan Ming Yuan recently. Wanted to try their dim sum but it didn't seem to be on the menu. Had a chicken curry instead which was very nice but would love to go back to try the dim sum as I've heard great reviews.

Does the dim sum menu have to be booked in advance as it doesn't appear on their main menu? Also what would people recommend from it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement