Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Bad Boys BBQ
    Three of us went yesterday & overall I'd say it was average. I got beef brisket, the others got ribs & a turkey melt ciabatta.
    Brisket came with gravy & onions, it was like something you'd get in a pub carvery. I tasted the turkey melt & it was lovely. Ribs I didn't taste but were said to be nice too.
    Choice of sides wasn't great & they were plain enough.
    Some teething problems too. No menus inside (chalk board on wall outside) & service was fairly poor.
    I might try again some time but wouldn't be rushing back.
    Comparisons with White Rabbit are natural & no contest for me, pretty much everything about White Rabbit was better.

Not surprised, I've ate off the stall in the food markets and its very average. White Rabbit probably doesn't have the setup they have and still manage to make a better job of it.

I have a bit of a thing for American style BBQ which done right if your a carnivore is possibly the greatest food ever. I was very close to opening a BBQ place here about 3 years ago, I had a guy coming over from the states to work with us for a few months to make it as authentic as possible and master the rub and smoke. I opted against it in the end to concentrate on other things, huge regret of mine to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

etoughguy wrote: »
    Sure, its Club Brasserie near the Clarion we were talking about

Oh really no wonder the place is cronic all the places there are actually Kudos is shocking too

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

I tried the new Ramen in Douglas yesterday. I had the 6 before 6 deal which was Thai Green Curry (my favourite). It was simply awful - the worst I've eaten to be honest. It was take away so I was home when I opened the carton and saw that it actually looked like soup/stew. I ate some and binned the rest.
    I'll give them a wide berth for a few weeks until they have a chance to get up and running properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I don't get the fuss with Ramen at all - I ate in the one in Dennehys Cross a few months back and it was extremely average.

Son of a Bun opens this week - after the all hype on their facebook page it better live up to expectations :D

onasis wrote: »
    I tried the new Ramen in Douglas yesterday. I had the 6 before 6 deal which was Thai Green Curry (my favourite). It was simply awful - the worst I've eaten to be honest. It was take away so I was home when I opened the carton and saw that it actually looked like soup/stew. I ate some and binned the rest.
    I'll give them a wide berth for a few weeks until they have a chance to get up and running properly.

IT doesn't get any better, when it first opened on Anglesea St, I found it excellent but as the more of them have opened the quality has dropped. There is literally no meat in the dishes, the last straw was for me when my partner got Pad Thai w/prawns, 13.95 for 4 tiny prawns, noddles and pak choi, RIP OFF.

Chilli Padi is on a whole other level, I'd actually say there is even too much meat in the dishes! The only thing I didn't like from there was the spring rolls other than that everything has been excellent.

It's a shame Ramen has all the good locations and good marketing, because its vastly inferior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

rob316 wrote: »
    IT doesn't get any better, when it first opened on Anglesea St, I found it excellent but as the more of them have opened the quality has dropped. There is literally no meat in the dishes, the last straw was for me when my partner got Pad Thai w/prawns, 13.95 for 4 tiny prawns, noddles and pak choi, RIP OFF.

Chilli Padi is on a whole other level, I'd actually say there is even too much meat in the dishes! The only thing I didn't like from there was the spring rolls other than that everything has been excellent.

It's a shame Ramen has all the good locations and good marketing, because its vastly inferior.

had ramen twice - its ok - not great on flavour and i would question the quality of the meat but it must be doing something right - they have a roaring trade..

i got chilli padi once and i am not pushed to get it again..

aer bring back Banna thai

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sporina wrote: »
    had ramen twice - its ok - not great on flavour and i would question the quality of the meat but it must be doing something right - they have a roaring trade..

i got chilli padi once and i am not pushed to get it again..

aer bring back Banna thai

It's one of those places that is popular with students so the good name has a lot to do with that I reckon. I don't think it's particularly cheap either. Very meh! Must try this chilli padi place - is it only in Ballincollig?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

I agree about Chilli Padi. I have eaten there several times and have always enjoyed it. Ramen seems to have more street cred amongst the youngsters but the food there is not great.

leahyl wrote: »
    It's one of those places that is popular with students so the good name has a lot to do with that I reckon. I don't think it's particularly cheap either. Very meh! Must try this chilli padi place - is it only in Ballincollig?

Father Matthew St aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hmm. How is the veg quality in Ramen these days? I think I eat way too much meat as it is, the thing I liked most about ramen was that they had plenty of veg, with small bits of meat.... but I stopped going because the veg quality dropped off. Is the veg back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Don't get Ramen at all, the stuff is mank... Very fake tasty. On your note about the veg himself has got the veg a few times and brought some back home for me to taste and I cant say I remember much veg in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

+1 to the comments about Ramen. Loved it when it first opened but gradually it's been tasting more and more processed and less fresh. Don't know how else to put it. I'd only go there now if I was really stuck/lazy some Friday evening.

i just heard that Eden on Patrick street is now gone too..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

i just heard that Eden on Patrick street is now gone too..

Interesting. Was pretty average though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Guys, what's Wetherspoon's like for lunch? Thinking of heading in tomorrow afternoon. The €6 wrap and drink deal sounds great.

I wouldnt have gone in only kinda had to with work. I didnt like it before I went and I still dont like it. The atmosphere in there is weird, its like an airport bar or something. The decor is kinda ****ty too. Obviously i'm not a fan.

In terms of the food, I had a Philly Cheesesteak, which was all wrong. rather than plenty of shaved steak, with cheese on, there was a few strip pieces with fried onion and a little bowl of cheese on the side.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Interesting. Was pretty average though to be fair.

yes but it was the only actual Thai takeaway in the city... there are none now.. and ramen or chili padi don't make the cut for me..

Ive only had Chili Padi delivered, but it was far superior to Eden for me.

Agree RE: Ramen, its now like the McD's of Asian food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

The Gourmet Burger place on Bridge Street mightn't have the fancy branding of the two new places around the corner but they have been doing really top notch burgers for quite a few years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

yes but it was the only actual Thai takeaway in the city... there are none now.. and ramen or chili padi don't make the cut for me..

I know it's not the city but I find Golden Elephant in Douglas to be a pretty good thai place. I've only ever gotten delivery but their pad thai and green curry are top notch, much better then Banna Thai ever was imo.

Léan wrote: »
    I know it's not the city but I find Golden Elephant in Douglas to be a pretty good thai place. I've only ever gotten delivery but their pad thai and green curry are top notch, much better then Banna Thai ever was imo.

yeah i have herd that it is good but tbh i use to use banna thai for take away purposes.. which would not be too often but there are occasions when the need would arise.. and as i live north side, douglas is a bit far for delivery i'd say..

era i will just have to cook it myself..

might try chilli padi again but their menu is so small..

like banna use to do a pepper and garlic stirfry which was divine.. as was the ginger one.. hmm.. how i miss it..

Oh Golden Elephant is loverly was going to suggest it... Much nice than Banna Thai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Aroi closed until further notice, passed it this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

must say - the new coffee place Langford row is looking very cool ... opened today I think ! Cakes look delish
    https://www.facebook.com/Langford-Row-Coffee-Music-Store-531240397035091

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Was in electric for a meal with work yesterday (our meal was fine - if small portion)

However there was an american couple beside us who ordered there meal and a starter (salad between us) and they still had not got it by nearly 8!! They were very polite to the servers etc but i must admit i was not impressed by the delay

Toppy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

whatever76 wrote: »
    must say - the new coffee place Langford row is looking very cool ... opened today I think ! Cakes look delish
    https://www.facebook.com/Langford-Row-Coffee-Music-Store-531240397035091
    Was off work on Monday and went there with a buddy, sickened it wasn't open yet but will def call in soon :) Looks great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ate in Sage Greenroom in midleton a few days ago. Had a Chicken and Mayo sandwich, and simple as it was, (bread, chicken and mayonnaise) it was very tasty. The chicken was warm like it had just come out of the oven, bread was decent, mayo is apparently homemade. Thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sage is great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement