Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Faith wrote: »
    I started the C25K last week with my OH. Am about to do W2D2 tomorrow. I'm starting to really enjoy it. It's hard, and I'm probably running more slowly that I'd walk, but I feel great after each session. Am actually looking forward to the run tomorrow! Aiming to be able to run 5K in 30 minutes by the end of it, and eventually 10K in an hour :).

Although I am really struggling with the humidity! I find it hard to breathe properly, and I finish up absolutely drenched in sweat.

Yeah I find it easier to run in the winter. The air just feels so heavy or something in the summer time.

Best of luck with C25k - it's a brilliant program :D

I find it harder in winter, my lungs freeze, hurts like hell and I cant breathe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Everyone's built differently, I guess! I just can't run in summer. It's like it's 20 times as much effort to breathe. I've pretty bad hayfever though, which is only really a problem in the summer months :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I'm restarting the C25K, I did it last year but didn't keep it up and can't get back into it.
    Week 1 finished and feeling good, looking forward to starting week 2.
    I'm loving running in the sun, hopefully the weather will stay good :) or at least dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

After 6 months, I did an official 5km race in 28 mins 16 secs. Considering my first 5km race was 37 mins.

However, I just can't do 10km in under an hour - my fastest was 1 hr 2 mins. I'm doing another 10k tomorrow, see how I get on!

The only problem is my poor King Charles gets upset when he sees me running (I tried to run with him once and I thought I killed him as he conked out afterwards, but he was fine after a couple of hours!), but I always walk him afterwards - that helps me cool down too!

It's great reading all your posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

kelle wrote: »
    After 6 months, I did an official 5km race in 28 mins 16 secs. Considering my first 5km race was 37 mins.

However, I just can't do 10km in under an hour - my fastest was 1 hr 2 mins. I'm doing another 10k tomorrow, see how I get on!

The only problem is my poor King Charles gets upset when he sees me running (I tried to run with him once and I thought I killed him as he conked out afterwards, but he was fine after a couple of hours!), but I always walk him afterwards - that helps me cool down too!

It's great reading all your posts!

My ultimate ambition is to do a 10k in around an hour. I'd settle for 1hr 2 so well done! :pac: Am off to Elverys tomorrow to get some new running stuff, with go faster stripes!!! anything to keep the momentum going! Let us know how your 10k goes!

• Advertisement

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    My ultimate ambition is to do a 10k in around an hour. I'd settle for 1hr 2 so well done! :pac: Am off to Elverys tomorrow to get some new running stuff, with go faster stripes!!! anything to keep the momentum going! Let us know how your 10k goes!

You're right to treat yourself to running gear, there's so much lovely stuff out there especially in Elvery's. And you're right, it keeps you motivated.

Did 10k in an hour 20 yesterday, ive done over 25k this week :)

I did only 3k wooded trail today, included hill sprints and down hill jogging.... Worked up a sweat. Plan to alternate between jogging/ walking and trail to try n train for hell and back, need to pick up track runners and base layers for the coming autumn.

Eleverys online has some body logic at a good price. .

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Just did an 8km run during my lunchh break. Fantastic day, on a route i love. Time flies when doing it :) Bit naughty over the weekend and didn't go for a run (did 4 hours walking yesterday instead!) and couldn't motivate myself to go this morning so decided to start work early, finish early and run at lunch.

Despite the weather dragged myself out for 8km over lunch. Surprisingly warm and sweated like anything! Lunch consisted of bread and jam so feeling a little virtuous now :) Had been out with the dog for 45 minutes this morning, and although had a rest day yesterday from runnign still walked 3.5 hours in total!

Sorry if i'm bugging you with the posts, i find it keeps me motivated by sharing - tell me to shut up if needs be!

flossie wrote: »
    Despite the weather dragged myself out for 8km over lunch. Surprisingly warm and sweated like anything! Lunch consisted of bread and jam so feeling a little virtuous now :) Had been out with the dog for 45 minutes this morning, and although had a rest day yesterday from runnign still walked 3.5 hours in total!

Sorry if i'm bugging you with the posts, i find it keeps me motivated by sharing - tell me to shut up if needs be!

Keep it up, i could never fit a run/walk into my lunch hour. The more you do the more i want to do, not to be better than you (because i cant even run :rolleyes: ) but as you said it motivates me (and you) to get out and do more....

Im in agony today muscles are killing me, went to kickboxing last night and 30 mins was kettlebell workouts, my arse is rock hard, trying to get up and down the stairs is painfull.

I pushed myself to the limits trying to work it up before hell and back. Im pleased to say i beat all the guys :D

We had to do lunges with the kettlebells and i was great at it, infact i was told to up my weights from 10kgs on each arm to 15kgs on each arm(same as some of the lads weights) and i still beat um :D I recon its not an exercise men are use to and thats the only reason i was able to finish before they could, most werent even getting thier knee down low enough.

Doing a 1.5 hour kettle bell workout on saturday morning. until then im resting my butt.

• Advertisement

cynder wrote: »
    Keep it up, i could never fit a run/walk into my lunch hour. The more you do the more i want to do, not to be better than you (because i cant even run :rolleyes: ) but as you said it motivates me (and you) to get out and do more....

Im in agony today muscles are killing me, went to kickboxing last night and 30 mins was kettlebell workouts, my arse is rock hard, trying to get up and down the stairs is painfull.

I pushed myself to the limits trying to work it up before hell and back. Im pleased to say i beat all the guys :D

We had to do lunges with the kettlebells and i was great at it, infact i was told to up my weights from 10kgs on each arm to 15kgs on each arm(same as some of the lads weights) and i still beat um :D I recon its not an exercise men are use to and thats the only reason i was able to finish before they could, most werent even getting thier knee down low enough.

Doing a 1.5 hour kettle bell workout on saturday morning. until then im resting my butt.

Yikes! That sounds scary! I need to start doing some resistance training and would love to do a class, but my work schedule is so varied it's difficult to go to regular classes. I use the outdoor gym that the council have put in which is OK, but can't be varied. Thinking personal trainer might be best to start me off and show me what to be doing.

I'm fortunate in that i work from home (well, when i'm not with clients) so at least i can go for runs at lunch, or in the mornings. It's really helping. As i mentioned before, it's helping me on the road to recovery from bulimia and i haven't had an incident in a couple of months now, so i'm focusing on this as a form of treatment :)

My boyfriend is gutted as he is having lots of problems with his legs (adductor is currently playing up and has issues with the achilles) and thinks he might have to give up the running and focus on cycling so he is a bit jealous. That kinda motivates me even more in a twisted way! :D

I'm just going to get changed and hopt to do 12km this evening. Although i'm starving! Won't put dinner in the oven though till i come home and am showering! Wish me luck!

Oh, anybody else doing the Moone Kilomarathon on the 11th August? I'm doing the 10km part!

I'm just going to get changed and hopt to do 12km this evening. Although i'm starving! Won't put dinner in the oven though till i come home and am showering! Wish me luck!

Oh, anybody else doing the Moone Kilomarathon on the 11th August? I'm doing the 10km part!

Good luck,

I'm immobile at the moment, besides the pains from the other night I've got a nasty uti ( got antibiotics today) and thrush, I'm not very comfy at all...

Hopefully will be better on Saturday so I can do the kettle bell workout..

Hubby coming home from work with 4lts of cranberry juice for me :)

Aw, bless :(

I'm just in. Was tough, and think i got to about 14k in the end. That's the end of long runs now before race next saturday. Calf a bit tight and sweating like a pig in the oven but i did it, yey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Finished week 2 this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Hit a wall. Feeling massively demotivated, iv had really soar shin splints on my last three runs at 6 weeks. Recon its a mix of bad tecnque and well me. I still think I don't recognise myself from 3 months ago and i have forced myself into physio to solve what I'm doing. I still think this is one of the best physical and motivational things I have ever done

What shoes are you wearing? Might be worth changing the type of runners? I thought i was OK in my Mizunos, but got myself some Asics a few weeks ago after trying on loads. It's resolved a lot of discomfort while running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm not exactly doing couch to 5k, can I still post here? :o

I've been doing good enough, better since I joined a gym a few days ago. Been finding it easier to jog on a treadmill. But then today I (at the suggestion of someone) drank water before going and during jogging, and could only do just over half of the time I did two days ago, with a stitch like pain in my shoulder and the beginning of a stitch in my side. Up until today I'd just been drinking water after jogging, before I got symptoms of being dehydrated (euuw:
    salty smelling pee
    ) so I started drinking it before I went. I've a feeling it was a stitch, just feeling it in my shoulder. I kept going for as long as it was ok, but once it developed in my side I had to stop.

Angry with myself over it now, but I'll switch back to just drinking after jogging I think.

Though besides this, I kind of felt a bit bored today. Anyone else find they get a little bored? I suppose I could take a break and use other equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'm not exactly doing couch to 5k, can I still post here? :o

I've been doing good enough, better since I joined a gym a few days ago. Been finding it easier to jog on a treadmill. But then today I (at the suggestion of someone) drank water before going and during jogging, and could only do just over half of the time I did two days ago, with a stitch like pain in my shoulder and the beginning of a stitch in my side. Up until today I'd just been drinking water after jogging, before I got symptoms of being dehydrated (euuw:
    salty smelling pee
    ) so I started drinking it before I went. I've a feeling it was a stitch, just feeling it in my shoulder. I kept going for as long as it was ok, but once it developed in my side I had to stop.

Angry with myself over it now, but I'll switch back to just drinking after jogging I think.

Though besides this, I kind of felt a bit bored today. Anyone else find they get a little bored? I suppose I could take a break and use other equipment.

Best not to drink too much before running, definitely has an impact. Small sups before training, some during, plenty afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

So I've been roped into signing up to this. The short course, obviously! If only I had the time to train properly..

• Advertisement

I did a 10km race yesterday (Ardee), lovely for the first 7 km then hill after hill - I'd say there was about 10 altogether! It got too much, I had to walk some of them. I did it in 1hr 5 mins, so much for trying to do it in under an hour :(
    10km is tough to do, but I find I'm not as stiff and sore afterwards as I used to be and recovery is quicker - I must be toughening up a little!
    riveratom wrote: »
    Best not to drink too much before running, definitely has an impact. Small sups before training, some during, plenty afterwards.

+1. A couple of hours before the race, I drink a mug of hot water and that helps me a lot.
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    So I've been roped into signing up to this. The short course, obviously! If only I had the time to train properly..

Oh my goodness, that looks tough! Good luck and let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Finished week two yesterday - so chuffed! Can't wait to get going again!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Hey runners how are you going? I had what JimmyCC had, serious motivation failure but then the terror of another 10k hit and I had to do a bit of running. When I was feeling sorry for myself (happens a lot! :o ) I kept thinking that if Katie Taylor can carry the weight of a whole country's expectations on her shoulders then the least I could do was get my arse off the sofa and run....
    Anyway, hay fever and in lawitis notwithstanding I 10k'd on Monday (Dun Laoghaire) & took 9 mins off last year's time. Nearly cried and barfed but still......:eek:
    How are you all going? Jim you got to rest the shins?

Finished antibiotics on Monday night, went kickboxing last night, plan to go walking tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm up to Week 5 on C25K, I am really chuffed with my progress. The circuit I do is 1.5km and when I first started exercising just over a year ago I was tired just walking it, I ran it in full for the first time today. Its not much of a distance but for me its a real achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Is anyone doing the APFS Harriers 5k fun run out near Dublin airport on August 26th? I'd like to try it but am only just at the 5k mark now and hope I won't be left in the dust...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Contemplating starting C25k tomorrow. My fitness levels are waaay down and I need to lose weight. I'm a bit stressed too so it's hard to make myself do anything strenuous.

But I know it'll boost me physically and mentally. Just need the motivation!

I'm just in. Was tough, and think i got to about 14k in the end. !

Well done Flossie, gosh - I wish I could run that distance!
    I did a 10k last Sunday, was 1hr 4mins - I still can't get under the hour! I seem to hit a plateau between 6-8km mark, I walk parts of it but try to do no more than 20 steps before continuing running. Then at 8km I reach a high - if only I was like that throughout the race!

I ran in the Moone kilomarathon 10k on saturday.... 54.42 :) I had wanted under an hour, and secretly wanted to beat 55 minutes so happy. It was tough, difficult hill around the 3km mark and quite a long stretch of road, plus the hot, heavy weather didn't help at all! From 3km - 7km i just wanted to end and started shivering so guessing i was getting dehydrated.

Celebrated by going to Abrakebabra in my running gear and eating a large taco fries ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

So, started C210K (Mark II) on Sunday and did my second evening this evening, feeling fitter already! Tell me it gets a little easier?

Advertisement