Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Well that really is the responsibility of the manager.

The problem with Mulholland is that he has put an awful lot of faith into the players that won him a U-21 title a couple of years ago. He got rid of some experienced players a little too hastily.

Like who? The supposed experienced players were underperforming for years and a clearout was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ive seen this complete and utter crap spouted about Mulholland on a couple of forums now. He's the local bookie in town for fcuks sake, of course he has to do a special on the match. It has absolutely nothing to do with the teams preparation or how they performed. The line was outsmarted today and they'll deal with that. Another managerial merry go round is not the answer. Didn't see many slagging Mulholland when he produced a tactical masterclass vs cork in the u21s two years ago.

Of course every clown who was sat at home is now getting their dig in on social media etc. It's pointless. I'm travelling across the country in a mild state of depression, and have a few choice words about plenty starting at no.1, but its stupid getting upset. A very young team (some of whom have brought the county success others would kill for) went out and got embarrassed. It was partly their fault, and partly Mayo just being superior. We move on, let's see them restore pride against someone on our level in the qualifiers.

Finally a big LOL to those downplaying the importance of Finian Hanley. Maybe you'll see now why our full back line has never been embarrassed in the recent past, or why we've never had trouble playing the ball out of defense like today. Having an authoritative figure (who just happens to be our best player) helps back there

You keep believing that Mulholland is the man and watch Galway go to new super lows. It will be easy for Mayo. Its complete bollox to regard U21 in the same manner as senior. You need very driven guys to run the senior set up. Mulholand is not even at the races. The team did not look fit. I don't believe they had a plan or at least it didn't look like they had one from the sideline.

Its fair to say that these guys are young and will improve, but a team that is not driven or focused is another issue and this resides with the manager in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You keep believing that Mulholland is the man and watch Galway go to new super lows. It will be easy for Mayo. Its complete bollox to regard U21 in the same manner as senior. You need very driven guys to run the senior set up. Mulholand is not even at the races. The team did not look fit. I don't believe they had a plan or at least it didn't look like they had one from the sideline.

Its fair to say that these guys are young and will improve, but a team that is not driven or focused is another issue and this resides with the manager in my opinion

Well we've tried sacking every manager that has a bad year, it hasn't got us too far. Every manager deserves 3 years to see if their plan works, especially one like Mulholland who has the thankless task of needing to bleed through inexperienced youngsters who have yet to fill out. Who would you rather instead, because you can pick holes in every realistic contender for the job? The teams fitness was fine in the second half when they had to do ridiculous running with 13 men. Give him to the end of 2014, if there's no improvement then you can call for his head. The U-21 winners from 2011 need to be brought through and Mulholland knows them better than anyone

Well we've tried sacking every manager that has a bad year, it hasn't got us too far. Every manager deserves 3 years to see if their plan works, especially one like Mulholland who has the thankless task of needing to bleed through inexperienced youngsters who have yet to fill out. Who would you rather instead, because you can pick holes in every realistic contender for the job? The teams fitness was fine in the second half when they had to do ridiculous running with 13 men. Give him to the end of 2014, if there's no improvement then you can call for his head. The U-21 winners from 2011 need to be brought through and Mulholland knows them better than anyone

You need the right guy. Without the right guy you are wasting your time. See mayo under o'mahoney. He was the wrong guy, he had lost the edge and mayo went from bad to worse. He took the job for other reasons and it showed.

Mulholland's job is to manage Galway, yet he was in the paper sprouting his business PR - losing focus in my mind. This would drive me as a mayo player on to stuff it right up where the sun does not shine.

I even seen Armstrong and Meehan chatting as the parade was going on, laughing and tapping each other like they were sharing a joke - too casual for me and this comes from the sense in the dressing room.

The guy Galway need is walsh. He would put balls in Galway. There is no way Galway would crumbled like that under him. I feel bad for ye guys as Mayo need a good Galway team so that whoever gets out have been pushed and fit for Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

It wasn't fine in the first period when the match had to be contested. We were blown away. End of.

You're correct in one way to defend Mull., unnecessary chopping of managers isn't progress. In the past 10 years Galway could have had 50 managers and they wouldn't have won or come even close to winning Sam* because the players weren't of a calibre to reach that standard. However, I've seen tons of bad Galway teams that still were able to put it up to Mayo better than was shown today, e.g. even 2 years ago in the wet day in McHale they were useless but still didn't lose by as much. However today (yesterday) was so abject that the fault alone can't lie with the players.

* they might have had a slight chance in '03 had they beaten Donegal, as they really should have, as Tyrone removed our bete noire Kerry in the semi' that year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

You need the right guy. Without the right guy you are wasting your time. See mayo under o'mahoney. He was the wrong guy, he had lost the edge and mayo went from bad to worse. He took the job for other reasons and it showed.

Mulholland's job is to manage Galway, yet he was in the paper sprouting his business PR - losing focus in my mind. This would drive me as a mayo player on to stuff it right up where the sun does not shine.

I even seen Armstrong and Meehan chatting as the parade was going on, laughing and tapping each other like they were sharing a joke - too casual for me and this comes from the sense in the dressing room.

The guy Galway need is walsh. He would put balls in Galway. There is no way Galway would crumbled like that under him. I feel bad for ye guys as Mayo need a good Galway team so that whoever gets out have been pushed and fit for Croke Park

Would you please stop mentioning this as it's completely irrelevant. He doesn't run Mulhollands alone (as far as I know his father and brother are also involved and it's a joint operation) and likely wasn't responsible for the special or the ad.

The bookies have ads in the paper every week, the big event in Galway this week was Galway v Mayo and there would have been a special on that whether Mulholland was in charge or not. The two aren't connected.

Onto the game, today was obviously hugely disappointing. There was a huge amount of naivete showed by both the players and management and the team looked leaderless. I would be hoping Hanley's return will see a change in the latter regard. Hopefully we can pick up a couple of wins in the qualifiers anyway and gain some experience.

The time to judge Mulholland will be after the 2014 championship. He made mistakes today but there's probably no-one hurting more than him tonight.

Exactly. It's BS being spouted by people who haven't a clue about gambling or how the industry works. Once you mention gambling, idiots automatically assume a conspiracy.

They was refunding on first/last goalscorers if Galway won. If the Mullholland family owned a supervalue, and offered half price sausages for the week if Galway won, everyone would laugh and it would be no issue. And that special would cost about the same as refunding goalscorer markets, basically feck all

AngeGal wrote: »
    Would you please stop mentioning this as it's completely irrelevant. He doesn't run Mulhollands alone (as far as I know his father and brother are also involved and it's a joint operation) and likely wasn't responsible for the special or the ad.

The bookies have ads in the paper every week, the big event in Galway this week was Galway v Mayo and there would have been a special on that whether Mulholland was in charge or not. The two aren't connected.

Onto the game, today was obviously hugely disappointing. There was a huge amount of naivete showed by both the players and management and the team looked leaderless. I would be hoping Hanley's return will see a change in the latter regard. Hopefully we can pick up a couple of wins in the qualifiers anyway and gain some experience.

The time to judge Mulholland will be after the 2014 championship. He made mistakes today but there's probably no-one hurting more than him tonight.
    it is relevant and if galway supporters think it isn't are just fooling themselves. This stuff goes through a panel like a belly bug. Players see he has his eye on more than Galway football.

Its relevant as he has a picture in the paper stating this and his mug shot is on it and it involves the game. He actually made it relevant and brought unnecessary attention to the game. He would have been better off looking into a proper game plan than trying to get bets in for his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

AngeGal wrote: »

While I agree with most of that Mulholland's mistake was getting involved in the photo-op and that was a red rag to a lot of people inside and outside Galway. People are naturally suspicious of gambling and sport so he just makes himself an easier target for ridicule and jibes. It clearly doesn't effect the level of preparation he'll put in as a manager but it is a distraction in the general sense and he'd be better off leaving the GAA promotional opportunities to the rest of the family while he's Galway manager. Managers preach about professionalism all the time so they should be held to the same standard they want to set for others.

I'd also say that this is Mulholland's second year so questions should be asked about the overall plan for the team, even if I think it's pretty pointless changing managers again.

Exactly. It's BS being spouted by people who haven't a clue about gambling or how the industry works. Once you mention gambling, idiots automatically assume a conspiracy.

They was refunding on first/last goalscorers if Galway won. If the Mullholland family owned a supervalue, and offered half price sausages for the week if Galway won, everyone would laugh and it would be no issue. And that special would cost about the same as refunding goalscorer markets, basically feck all

There is no idiot conspiracy. He just doesn't have a clue how to conduct himself and stay focused. Other teams use stuff like this to give an edge. You don't bring any attention to an important game. Its ok to do some pr but not to draw attention to the game about Galway beating Mayo and money back

I will leave it at this because if ye guys think he has the capability to bring ye back into some state of success, then fire ahead.

Here is the Pic http://www.hoganstand.com/Common/NewGallery/ffadad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Have to agree with most of what is being said here. People badly underestimated Mayo again at the start of the season dismissing them as a top 4 side even. Galway got stung by quality and to be able to spring Andy Moran off your bench is a liberty Galway don't have. Giving Mull the boot at the end of the season is absolute self-destruction at this point. They have a decent break now before the qualifiers and after that you can give a proper evaluation. Still wouldn't be the right move.

If they get rid of Alan Mulholland no manager will want to take up the position. An U-21 All-Ireland is probably more than potential replacements will ever achieve and if they see him not being given a proper run it'll carry on the knee-jerk managerial merry-go-round that has set the county back years. Granted I can see why people want him out especially with Kevin Walsh literally looming behind him yesterday. I can only give him so much of the blame considering he inherited a confidence-devoid team and at least he's giving youth a chance.

They need the luck of the draw in the qualifiers but if they even got past the first round he'd be progressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

dartsfan wrote: »
    Like who? The supposed experienced players were underperforming for years and a clearout was needed.

They never under performed as badly as yesterday. I remember against Tyrone is the league last year Diarmuid Blake had a very good game. He was then dropped for the next match when Duane was fit again. Some players never had a chance with Mulholland. And a manager should at least be fair to every player. I think Mulholland has favourite players. For example, he has given Mark Hehir many chances whereas Michael Martin has to have a stormer not to be dropped for the next match.

Personally, I would still have Joe Bergin & Diarmuid Blake on that panel. I think they would be valuable assets to have there. You can argue that they under performed for years but they are good experienced players that would benefit those younger players. If I have a choice between Coleman & Bergin in midfield, I would choose Bergin.

But the posts on here about Mulholland being more interested in his gambling than Galway are just pure ridiculous. I have no doubt that Mulholland is doing his best for Galway. He has a tough job at the moment with limited players.

I'm 99% percent sure Bergin retired. Not sure on Blake, but he's not young either so would assume the same

I'm 99% percent sure Bergin retired. Not sure on Blake, but he's not young either so would assume the same

Yeah, they did. But why? It was because they knew Mulholland didn't really want them around....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I'd nearly swear Galway have gotten worse since the appointment of Mullholland, struggling in division 2 against smaller counties and a hammering in the first round of the championship against rivals Mayo.

Felt sorry for the players yesterday, you could feel the frustration but it all rests with the manager and the County Board. Nobody can argue that the players aren't there.....they are! But the talent and potential is going to waste!

The step up from u21 to senior is massive and Mullholland just doesn't have the CV or experience for what should be one of the top sides in the country at senior level....in my opinion. The County Board should know better at this stage also and would want to cop on to themselves when it comes to making managerial appointments.

How many 'joke' appointments have we had now in 10 years? The board needs to start looking outside the county again, the managerial credentials and experience just aren't here. It's like we keep appointing Steve Staunton to the same position over and over again.

FlashD wrote: »
    I'd nearly swear Galway have gotten worse since the appointment of Mullholland, struggling in division 2 against smaller counties and a hammering in the first round of the championship against rivals Mayo.

Felt sorry for the players yesterday, you could feel the frustration but it all rests with the manager and the County Board. Nobody can argue that the players aren't there.....they are! But the talent and potential is going to waste!

The step up from u21 to senior is massive and Mullholland just doesn't have the CV or experience for what should be one of the top sides in the country at senior level....in my opinion. The County Board should know better at this stage also and would want to cop on to themselves when it comes to making managerial appointments.

How many 'joke' appointments have we had now in 10 years? The board needs to start looking outside the county again, the managerial credentials and experience just aren't here. It's like we keep appointing Steve Staunton to the same position over and over again.

How was Mulholland a joke appointment? It was widely accepted at the time that he was the best candidate. Success at underage for Galway. The natural progression was to go to senior.

I think Mulholland has flaws as I have said in previous posts. But you are being way over the top here. Galway should be performing better than they did yesterday but make no mistake, most of Galways players are average and nothing more. And yesterday, some of the players (most notably Coleman & Bradshaw) really let their team-mates & management down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Yes they can, the harsh reality is we haven't as much quality as we have had in the past or as Mayo have. Of course, we have enough to perform better than yesterday but we could have any manager in the country and we still wouldn't be a better team than Mayo at the moment.

Mulholland had achieved underage success and deserved his shot. Why should be one of the top sides of the country? Because we have won things in the past? As Meath followers will tell you, sport doesn't work like that. Mulholland has made mistakes but a serious dose of realism is required for some supporters.

It was widely accepted at the time that he was the best candidate. Success at underage for Galway. The natural progression was to go to senior.

I think Mulholland has flaws as I have said in previous posts. But you are being way over the top here. Galway should be performing better than they did yesterday but make no mistake, most of Galways players are average and nothing more. And yesterday, some of the players (most notably Coleman & Bradshaw) really let their team-mates & management down.

Galway have bags of talent and have always pushed the top sides even if they weren't All-Ireland contenders. The county has a rich tradition of churning out quality players that doesn't just disappear overnight.

I don't think i'm being over the top, fact is since going to Galway games since the Eighties, yesterday was one of the worst performances by a Galway team I can rightly remember. There a few on here who don't seem to grasp the importance of yesterday's game, like it was.... 'sure just another game', maybe that's the problem with Galway football, the excuses (sure we're only average) and complacency (Ah just another game, might work out next time).

Look, it was a flaming shambles against our biggest rivals, simple as! ...and the majority of it comes down to poor preparation, discipline and setup, in other words, inexperienced management. There are plenty of county managers looking at the Galway setup only wishing they had the wealth of talent coming through their ranks.

Galway have bags of talent and have always pushed the top sides even if they weren't All-Ireland contenders. The county has a rich tradition of churning out quality players that doesn't just disappear overnight.

No, it doesnt disappear overnight. But Galway have been in decline for many years now. They gradually went from a top division 1 team to a mid division 1 team to a team struggling in dicision 1 to a team in division 2 to a team struggling in division 2. It hasn't happened overnight!

Do you honestly believe that Niall Coleman is a top class inter county midfielder? Or Keith Kelly an inter county number 6? There would even be doubts about Conroy at 11 (personally I think he should be 14). The jury is still out on Meehan too (due to his fitness....)

Player for player, Mayo are miles ahead at the minute. I agree that Galway should not be losing by as much as they did yesterday. But to put the blame 100% on Mulholland is wrong.

If you think Galway should be one of the top teams in the country with their current panel, you are delusional. I dont think there is one player on the Galway panel who would make the Dublin or Donegal team at the moment. Very few would actually make it on to Mayo's team. I personally think Hanley is the only one who would compete for a spot in any of thise teams, maybe Bradshaw. You could argue about and on form Armstrong or Meehan but its a long time since they have produced good form for Galwayin the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No, it doesnt disappear overnight. But Galway have been in decline for many years now. They gradually went from a top division 1 team to a mid division 1 team to a team struggling in dicision 1 to a team in division 2 to a team struggling in division 2. It hasn't happened overnight!

Do you honestly believe that Niall Coleman is a top class inter county midfielder? Or Keith Kelly an inter county number 6? There would even be doubts about Conroy at 11 (personally I think he should be 14). The jury is still out on Meehan too (due to his fitness....)

Player for player, Mayo are miles ahead at the minute. I agree that Galway should not be losing by as much as they did yesterday. But to put the blame 100% on Mulholland is wrong.

If you think Galway should be one of the top teams in the country with their current panel, you are delusional. I dont think there is one player on the Galway panel who would make the Dublin or Donegal team at the moment. Very few would actually make it on to Mayo's team. I personally think Hanley is the only one who would compete for a spot in any of thise teams, maybe Bradshaw. You could argue about and on form Armstrong or Meehan but its a long time since they have produced good form for Galwayin the championship.

To be fair, Meehan was excellent yesterday. Given that he has long standing injury battles that he won't fully overcome, his work rate was really impressive. In the second half when the other senior players were doing their best to get sent off, he was doing the work they should have been doing coming out the field and winning frees as well as getting stuck in around the square. He injured himself again in the end because of that. He deserves great credit for putting his body through that to keep going, although you'd have to wonder is it worth it given what he is playing alongside.

As an outsider looking in, I wouldn't be overly impressed by what I've seen of Mulholland. You can't expect miracles but a decent game plan is a minimum requirement and there didn't seem to be one. As Galway have changed manager so much though, he should really get another year to see if he has anything more to offer. Although, if there is a quick exit from the qualifiers I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Galway board pulled the plug and brought in Walsh - it would be in keeping with how they have done things in the last six or seven years.

To be fair, Meehan was excellent yesterday. Given that he has long standing injury battles that he won't fully overcome, his work rate was really impressive. In the second half when the other senior players were doing their best to get sent off, he was doing the work they should have been doing coming out the field and winning frees as well as getting stuck in around the square. He injured himself again in the end because of that. He deserves great credit for putting his body through that to keep going, although you'd have to wonder is it worth it given what he is playing alongside.

As an outsider looking in, I wouldn't be overly impressed by what I've seen of Mulholland. You can't expect miracles but a decent game plan is a minimum requirement and there didn't seem to be one. As Galway have changed manager so much though, he should really get another year to see if he has anything more to offer. Although, if there is a quick exit from the qualifiers I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Galway board pulled the plug and brought in Walsh - it would be in keeping with how they have done things in the last six or seven years.

I am not criticising Meehan. But he cannot be considered a top class inter county forward at the moment. Maybe he will go on and prove me wrong (hopefully) but he has to do that before he can be considered a top player again.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

I could not get over how bad we were. I was the optimist that had us giving them a good game, how wrong I was. The backs were just so bad it was not true, full back line was just poor, midfield was over run. Hard to take many positives but I did think that both Meehan and Danny Cummins fought hard. Convoy tried hard at times but is not a centre forward. Meehan dropped too deep for me at times and was getting frustrated which showed and there is an over reliance on him. Cummins was the best forward by a distance and always fought to get the ball back, took his points with his only chances, his shot on goal was not a bad effort as it was on target but when he broke through he was looking for support to pass across for an easy goal..... Where was the support? It drove me mad. Mayo like all good teams were hunting in packs (especially forwards) but we were just hoping for individuals to come up with something and we do not have the individuals to match Mayo. Not even close.

Mullholland should have done more to tighten that defence, the goals given away were the worst ever. No teams should score goals that easily.

The next game in the qualifiers has to have a bit of fight about them, whoever they play, some serious pride to be restored.

Good luck to Mayo, they can seriously compete in this championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think everyone in Galway wanted stability with Mulholland but he also needs to show some sort of even mild improvement with the team. If anything they seem to be going backwards. There seems to be no gameplan, poor workrate, poor discipline and poor conditioning. I know Kevin Walsh has his critics up in Sligo as well but at least his Sligo team generally seems to be tough and gritty to play against. Making yourself hard to beat is a decent starting off point for any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

its still the path many take ie mickey harte in tyrone, jim gavin in dublin, jim mcguinness donegal

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its still the path many take ie mickey harte in tyrone, jim gavin in dublin, jim mcguinness donegal

Many others also. Every manager starts out at under-age. I dont know exactly who that poster thinks is qualified for the Galway job. But Mulholland certainly ticked all the boxes at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭MfMan

Many others also. Every manager starts out at under-age. I dont know exactly who that poster thinks is qualified for the Galway job. But Mulholland certainly ticked all the boxes at the time.

He did, and was the logical and popular choice back then. I think county players also hate chopping and changing of managers; one I spoke to said it can take at least a few years for a manager's system to become embedded.

However, the fact remains that we have clearly regressed under AM at a time when successful underage players should be coming through. Last year we were a last-minute penalty away from being in Division 1 and had a comprehensive win over Ros' in the first round. This year we looked more like a Division 3 side....

In hindsight and now that the dust has settled somewhat, it was harsh to call all the managerial appointments a joke. I agree with you that Mulholland was the logical choice at the time but it is disappointing that he is not living up to expectations.

The quality of our play is clearly going backwards. Of course none of these players would walk straight onto the established panels like Dublin or Donegal, these teams have been building for the last five years but I still think we have great potential and talent for the future unlike many counties around the country. It would be a pity to see that wasted.

Maybe the introduction of so many inexperienced players to this level all at once is what resulted in a poor performance. I would continue with Mulholland, I agree we have changed managers too many times now....but I think he needs to build the team up physically, cut out the niceties and introduce some tactical smarts.

Maybe the hammering on Sunday might be the motivation this team need to start making some progress. In saying that I don't hold much hope for the qualifiers this year but they should be aiming to push for the division 1 football next year not messing around relegation to division 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

MfMan wrote: »
    He did, and was the logical and popular choice back then. I think county players also hate chopping and changing of managers; one I spoke to said it can take at least a few years for a manager's system to become embedded.

However, the fact remains that we have clearly regressed under AM at a time when successful underage players should be coming through. Last year we were a last-minute penalty away from being in Division 1 and had a comprehensive win over Ros' in the first round. This year we looked more like a Division 3 side....

We're so bad-minded we probably threw that match just to sent expectations sky high. Des, you are forgiven for last year.

• Advertisement

In hindsight and now that the dust has settled somewhat, it was harsh to call all the managerial appointments a joke. I agree with you that Mulholland was the logical choice at the time but it is disappointing that he is not living up to expectations.

The quality of our play is clearly going backwards. Of course none of these players would walk straight onto the established panels like Dublin or Donegal, these teams have been building for the last five years but I still think we have great potential and talent for the future unlike many counties around the country. It would be a pity to see that wasted.

Maybe the introduction of so many inexperienced players to this level all at once is what resulted in a poor performance. I would continue with Mulholland, I agree we have changed managers too many times now....but I think he needs to build the team up physically, cut out the niceties and introduce some tactical smarts.

Maybe the hammering on Sunday might be the motivation this team need to start making some progress. In saying that I don't hold much hope for the qualifiers this year but they should be aiming to push for the division 1 football next year not messing around relegation to division 3.

I think you are probably over-estimating the current Galway players. Then again, they are good enough to not get beaten by so much.

Personally, I think Mulholland's biggest flaw is that he has 'favourites' and doesnt really pick on current form. His favourites include Duane, Flynn, Hehir. He gives them chance after chance and it takes a lot for them to be dropped. On the other hand, it seems very easy for him to drop Armstrong or Martin.

Good interview here with Hanley.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0521/451721-hanley-admits-to-hurt-in-galway/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement