Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Turloughmore is traditionally in the Claregalway catchment area. Most good hurlers from Turlough have played for them rather than Corofin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Old nemesis of Galway Eamonn O'Hara reckons there's a big shock due Sunday. I dunno but Dillon and Moran might not be at full capacity if they start.

What do the rest of ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Old nemesis of Galway Eamonn O'Hara reckons there's a big shock due Sunday. I dunno but Dillon and Moran might not be at full capacity if they start.

The Mayo team are very quiet - I don't like that. There is no way that Mayo will think that Galway are push overs. If Galway is too win, they'll have to earn it. At the moment I can't see us winning, ask me Friday and I’ll say a draw, ask me Sunday and I'll say we'll beat them by a point. Marty Duffy is the ref BTW

Please make an effort to support the lads on Sunday they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wouldn't be the biggest shock ever should Galway win but form over the past couple of years dictates otherwise. Galway will have to play solidly for most of the game, not just in bursts, to have a reasonable chance. Somehow, fans hoping for an upturn in their county's fortunes seem to think that no matter how poor their league form has been the championship should represent a new start and bring about an improvement. Seldom happens, not to Galway teams much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Jaysus, Andy has only just started completing full match warm-ups with the Mayo team. No match time, even AvB training games, at all yet. He's not going to start, and if you see him for the final ten minutes you can count yourself lucky. He's desperate to get back on the field but making him wait until Mayo's second game might be the smarter option for Horan to take.

Dillon isn't even a worry to start from what I know, but Barry Moran is apparently unlikely to feature and that would be a huge boost to Galway's chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I cannot for the life of me see where a win can come from on Sunday. Some of the football I saw them play during the league was such utterly depressing stuff that if they play anything like it all Mayo will have to do is show up. I'm never really that negative of Galway football, usually a blind optimist, but I just can't see it this year.
    I know the U21s have been playing great football but that itself points to one of our biggest problems of the last few years, our success at underage appears to have no influence on senior performance.
    I guess there's always the possibility of turning in a performance like against Roscommon last year but I'm almost afraid to hope at this stage.
    I'll be there on Sunday all the same, stressed and thick as usual no doubt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Galway team named tonight for match V Mayo next weekend

1 Manus Breathnach
    2 Johnny Duane
    3 Colin Forde
    4 Gary Sweeney
    5 Gareth Bradshaw (Captain)
    6 Keith Kelly
    7 Gary Sice
    8 Niall Coleman
    9 Fiontan O’Curraoin
    10 Thomas Flynn
    11 Paul Conroy
    12 Conor Doherty
    13 Sean Armstrong
    14 Michael Meehan
    15 Danny Cummins

Hanley injured

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Not really, his form for a couple of seasons hasn't been invincible. Backs otherwise nearly as good as could be fielded though there will be positional switches all over. Bradshaw as captain is quite a surprise (um... given certain conditions). Hard to know what the forward alternatives are; Armstrong, Cummins will be eaten. Flynn not a natural forward. Big game for Doherty. Will Meehan last the distance? Mayo at 4/7 with PPs not a bad bet.

MfMan wrote: »
    Not really, his form for a couple of seasons hasn't been invincible.

He's been our consistently our best player for about 5 years. He's a huge loss.

As for Flynn, he's played about 90% of his football in the forward line so I have no worries for him there. In any case, he's there as a third midfielder so it's irrelevant. Happy enough with the team to be honest, I think that every one deserving of a start is playing. Danny Cummins is maturing at a rate of knots, we could see a big performance from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Not really, his form for a couple of seasons hasn't been invincible. Backs otherwise nearly as good as could be fielded though there will be positional switches all over. Bradshaw as captain is quite a surprise (um... given certain conditions). Hard to know what the forward alternatives are; Armstrong, Cummins will be eaten. Flynn not a natural forward. Big game for Doherty. Will Meehan last the distance? Mayo at 4/7 with PPs not a bad bet.

Way off the mark there man ! Flynn may not be a natural forward but will float around the midfield, Armstrong can be sheer class when on his game and Cummins is the fastest forward that we have, hard to catch speed like that. They both showed that they are our best option in lots of experimental sides during he league. Really hope that Meehan is fully fit and shows everyone that he has still got it. Really hope that Galway show everyone that they have a big game in them. Mayo are a good team, but Galway not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Time to get behind them. Gaillimh Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

True and struggled on Marren last summer. In Forde,Duane,Sweeney Galway have three good defenders that won All Ireland in 2011 and Mulholland knows these lads better than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Syferus wrote: »
    Jaysus, Andy has only just started completing full match warm-ups with the Mayo team. No match time, even AvB training games, at all yet. He's not going to start, and if you see him for the final ten minutes you can count yourself lucky. He's desperate to get back on the field but making him wait until Mayo's second game might be the smarter option for Horan to take.

Dillon isn't even a worry to start from what I know, but Barry Moran is apparently unlikely to feature and that would be a huge boost to Galway's chances.

Barry is unfortunately out. Bit of a blow along with Mickey Conroy. Two important players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Mayo should win. They have the better team at the moment without a doubt.

And this is the Connaught Championship against Galway so there's no fear whatsoever of them being complacent. They will always respect Galway in the championship and will be happy enough if they get out of Salthill with a narrow win.

On the plus side Galway are under no great pressure for this. Not much is expected of them and that's often been the time when Galway teams pull a performance out of the bag that no-one was expecting. Another reason for Mayo to be wary.

I hope it's a good game and it would be great to see Galway put up a performace that would at least restore some pride and point towards better things to come. But if Mayo play anywhere near their best they look by far the more likely winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Hey guys, looking for places in town selling tickets for the match? My local supervalue isn't...

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Way off the mark there man ! Flynn may not be a natural forward but will float around the midfield, Armstrong can be sheer class when on his game and Cummins is the fastest forward that we have, hard to catch speed like that. They both showed that they are our best option in lots of experimental sides during he league. Really hope that Meehan is fully fit and shows everyone that he has still got it. Really hope that Galway show everyone that they have a big game in them. Mayo are a good team, but Galway not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Time to get behind them. Gaillimh Abu.

Less worried about Flynn than I am about the other 2. Cummins may be the fastest forward we have but the least composed in front of goal. He's missed sitters in every league game I've seen him play. Armstrong's class days are long gone; he has no idea how to link up with team mates around him and his shoot-on-sight policy usually misses. There was a time when, due to the class around him, he could be carried on the team. Now, no longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hanley is a big big loss. No matter what you think of him his support is non-existent at times. Big chance for Colin Forde though and I hope he grabs it with both hands. Looking forward to seeing how Gary Sweeney gets on. I'm expecting another good showing from Duane and he really impressed me during the League. Hope his form carries on.

Coleman could be in for a long day but if FOC is half as good as he was against Cork U-21's it would give them real hope. I dunno about Flynn starting. He didn't really seem sharp against the Cork U-21's and has a tendency to disappear for long periods of matches. He'll probably be employed as a 3rd midfielder but I can't see him or Coleman lasting the 70.

I know he isn't the same player but it really brought a smile to my face seeing Meehan's name on the starting lineup for a Mayo match again. The work that man has put in since the Kerry match in 08 just to be able to feature on days like this is outstanding and if that doesn't motivate the guys around him nothing will and it's a bit strange he isn't the captain for me. I'd also argue that Army doesn't have much left to offer. He has shown a lot in the League to warrant his inclusion, and I was never his biggest fan. Cummins does need to be composed in front of goal. He has great positioning and has blinding pace but the finishing let him down on many occasions in the League as MfMan said.

That said though I'm kinda half expecting a few changes to that team. Is it just me or did they name it earlier than they normally would?

Nothing to lose going into this against a criminally under-rated team that surely has at least an AI semi final in them this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Galway V Mayo  - Ticket Information.pdf
    c_man wrote: »

Hey guys, looking for places in town selling tickets for the match? My local supervalue isn't...

Join the TribesmenGAA facebook or twitter pages for all the latest news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Less worried about Flynn than I am about the other 2. Cummins may be the fastest forward we have but the least composed in front of goal. He's missed sitters in every league game I've seen him play. Armstrong's class days are long gone; he has no idea how to link up with team mates around him and his shoot-on-sight policy usually misses. There was a time when, due to the class around him, he could be carried on the team. Now, no longer.

All entitled to an opinion I suppose, but I have to say that Cummins may have missed a few but......... he keeps getting himself into those positions and that I admire. He also sets up loads for Meehan and his team mates as well.

His pace and ability to turn so quickly is vital in corner forwards these days, he was on the 21's in 2011 and is still young 22 or 23? getting on his back like lots of people do would not be the way to bring the best out of him. He is getting a big chance and hopefully this is his time.

Armstrong (like Meehan to an extent) may have his best days behind him, or maybe he does not !!!!!! The lad is class on his day and I hope that he has a great game, but I take your point. Mulholland putting a lot of faith in him.

I like the full forward line and as always, it's the team that takes the most scores that wins, in championship games, win the midfield battle and create the chances. It's about winning that midfield and taking your scores

Still feel you need to be starting a wild card like Walsh if you want to have your best chance of winning. Injuries make this one very interesting - a leaky Galway defence who have lost one of their best players and FB in Hanley goes up against an attack shorn of Andy, Dilon (that must be one hell of a nagging injury) and Conroy. A strong Mayo midfield loses one if its pivots while FOC is in stellar form.

This game could swing any direction. Very hard to confidently predict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Don't see any way we'll win this but there's always hope. Weather promised nice enough for Sunday, hopefully it's a tight game!

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Don't see any way we'll win this but there's always hope. Weather promised nice enough for Sunday, hopefully it's a tight game!

Nice weather in Pearse usually means getting gale force 4 wind instead of force 5 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

No Mark Hehir in the subs today. Is he still on the panel? Was 1 of the stars of U-21s 2 years ago in a team of players that should be playing senior now.

No Mark Hehir in the subs today. Is he still on the panel? Was 1 of the stars of U-21s 2 years ago in a team of players that should be playing senior now.

He was named in the program. Don't know if he was there or not?

It's unlikely any Galway player (certainly after the game) would get on the Mayo side; that happens from time to time, when one team is clearly superior to the other. However, there's no excuse for the timidity, lack of fitness or tactical naivety (that Galway team is experienced enough at this stage) that was on show today. The buck for that stops in one place. Lord knows what the on-looking Kevin Walsh would have made of that today.

yeah, sorry missed his name. thanks

It's unlikely any Galway player (certainly after the game) would get on the Mayo side; that happens from time to time, when one team is clearly superior to the other. However, there's no excuse for the timidity, lack of fitness or tactical naivety (that Galway team is experienced enough at this stage) that was on show today. The buck for that stops in one place. Lord knows what the on-looking Kevin Walsh would have made of that today.

I hope Galway people don't think Walsh is the answer because he's copping a hell of a lot of flak in Sligo the past few years. Galway would be better off maintaining stability and working towards a better team than changing managers every two years when it's obviously a chronic problem that has little to do with the coach.

The reaction by Galway to losing was the most disappointing aspect, heads completely dropped but even worse than that many players showed complete immaturity. Even the captain got himself sent off and Paul Conroy was very lucky not to be the third Galway man to see the line in the second half. Their heads weren't in the right place at any stage today.

Their heads weren't in the right place at any stage today.

Well that really is the responsibility of the manager.

The problem with Mulholland is that he has put an awful lot of faith into the players that won him a U-21 title a couple of years ago. He got rid of some experienced players a little too hastily.

Syferus wrote: »
    I hope Galway people don't think Walsh is the answer because he's copping a hell of a lot of flak in Sligo the past few years. Galway would be better off maintaining stability and working towards a better team than changing managers every two years when it's obviously a chronic problem that has little to do with the coach.

The reaction by Galway to losing was the most disappointing aspect, heads completely dropped but even worse than that many players showed complete immaturity. Even the captain got himself sent off and Paul Conroy was very lucky not to be the third Galway man to see the line in the second half. Their heads weren't in the right place at any stage today.

Interestingly the Mayo management acted with alacrity after that incident and withdrew O'Shea, as you would expect a right management to do. Too many Galway players allowed themselves to be wound up by their opponents and inveigled into being undisciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well that really is the responsibility of the manager.

The problem with Mulholland is that he has put an awful lot of faith into the players that won him a U-21 title a couple of years ago. He got rid of some experienced players a little too hastily.

I am a mayo man and the problem with Mulholland is that he is not up to it. You need a guy who is going to drive the team and this guy will not do it for Galway. IMO - the guy Galway need is in Sligo.

I seen in the paper where he was more concerned about PR for his business with money back if Galway win. This smells to me that his head is not on what he was hired to do. It reminds me of John O' Mahoney when he was in Mayo and he just used the position to get elected.

I feel for Galway supporters today... terrible stuff

• Advertisement

Ive seen this complete and utter crap spouted about Mulholland on a couple of forums now. He's the local bookie in town for fcuks sake, of course he has to do a special on the match. It has absolutely nothing to do with the teams preparation or how they performed. The line was outsmarted today and they'll deal with that. Another managerial merry go round is not the answer. Didn't see many slagging Mulholland when he produced a tactical masterclass vs cork in the u21s two years ago.

Of course every clown who was sat at home is now getting their dig in on social media etc. It's pointless. I'm travelling across the country in a mild state of depression, and have a few choice words about plenty starting at no.1, but its stupid getting upset. A very young team (some of whom have brought the county success others would kill for) went out and got embarrassed. It was partly their fault, and partly Mayo just being superior. We move on, let's see them restore pride against someone on our level in the qualifiers.

Finally a big LOL to those downplaying the importance of Finian Hanley. Maybe you'll see now why our full back line has never been embarrassed in the recent past, or why we've never had trouble playing the ball out of defense like today. Having an authoritative figure (who just happens to be our best player) helps back there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement