Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Have to love the way that in the last 2 years the KK fans have suddenly taken aversion to the physical side of the game lol - twas all good and manly and fair stuff untill a few teams decided to match them in the physical stakes.

BTW in fairness to Cody or the players they have never complained or played the victim card, its the joe public that seems to have had this moral conversion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

Have to love the way that in the last 2 years the KK fans have suddenly taken aversion to the physical side of the game lol - twas all good and manly and fair stuff untill a few teams decided to match them in the physical stakes.

BTW in fairness to Cody or the players they have never complained or played the victim card, its the joe public that seems to have had this moral conversion.

I think you are missing the point about our "sudden aversion to physciality".

We have no problem with the physical aspect of the game,what we do take issue with is our players being sidelined for several months due to them recieving dirty sly belts.Nothing manly about going into a 50/50 and pulling wildly one handed,swinging at someones head or hitting someone across the kneecap with the edge of the hurl.In fact the opposite,its cowardly

Could you name an intercounty hurler that has been sidelined in the last few years due to a stroke from a KK player? I cant.

Agree with you on Brian and the lads staying cool and not whinging,btw.Those lads are a credit to everyone associated with them.Never would you hear a whisper bad about them(unlike some of the nearby yahoos and their drinking sessions,breaking lads jaws and general ill discipline)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I think you are missing the point about our "sudden aversion to physciality".

We have no problem with the physical aspect of the game,what we do take issue with is our players being sidelined for several months due to them recieving dirty sly belts.Nothing manly about going into a 50/50 and pulling wildly one handed,swinging at someones head or hitting someone across the kneecap with the edge of the hurl.In fact the opposite,its cowardly

Could you name an intercounty hurler that has been sidelined in the last few years due to a stroke from a KK player? I cant.

Agree with you on Brian and the lads staying cool and not whinging,btw.Those lads are a credit to everyone associated with them.Never would you hear a whisper bad about them(unlike some of the nearby yahoos and their drinking sessions,breaking lads jaws and general ill discipline)

lol I'd suggest you either back up that bolded statement with some evidence or withdraw it like a good little man, and no saint Tommy has never pulled a dirty stroke in he's life lol he prefers to pull across referees faces shur :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

lol I'd suggest you either back up that bolded statement with some evidence or withdraw it like a good little man, and no saint Tommy has never pulled a dirty stroke in he's life lol he prefers to pull across referees faces shur :rolleyes:
    You're some chap for the "lol",I'll give you that and if you think Tommy did that on purpose then it, along with your reply,tells me all I need to know about you.And that is the biggest :D of all.

Now might I suggest you scurry along with yourself off the Galway forum like a good chap and dont be stirring up anti Kilkenny crap on here.Id be more concerned in discussing how to avenge my counties biggest championship defeat in 100 years if I was you.

LOL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks, this is the Galway thread, not the Kilkenny thread, if you want to discuss Kilkenny feel free to head over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Clareman wrote: »
    Folks, this is the Galway thread, not the Kilkenny thread, if you want to discuss Kilkenny feel free to head over there.

Ah no we dont need these boys destroying our thread:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

How do people see the club championship games goin over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Read the posts and you'll see that nobody is accusing Walter Walsh of anything. More the fact that it's incredible that anyone would be so fixated on a referee not giving a yellow card when there was serious concerns for the well being of that player.

lets not forget David Burkes little chop at Wally in the second half as he was on the ground;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Galway vs. Cork - Limerick @ 7

Galway u-21 football manager Alan Flynn has asked all Galway supporters to make the trip to Limerick on Saturday evening to cheer on the lads. I hope you can make it. It's live on TG4 for those you can't make it and as always on the updates will be on tribesmenGAA's twitter and facebook pages. As the GAA says #nothingbeatsbeingthere

Details on the supporters club bus http://tribesmengaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=113&Itemid=74

#gaillimhabú

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

1. Thomas Healy,

2. Eoin Walsh ,

3. James Shaughnessy,

4. David Cunnane,

5. Mark Loughnane,

6. Daithi Burke,

7. Paul Varley,

8. Damien Comer,

9. Fiontan O’Curraoin,

10. Cathal Mulryan,

11.Sean Moran,

12. Thomas Flynn,

13. Shane Walsh,

14. Adrian Varley,

15. Ian Burke

Nice to see Daithi Burke starting. Out of all those guys I'd be especially delighted to see him win an AI because a lot of people didn't really understand why he didn't stick to hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

He's first and foremost a hurler, and is more likely to stick with that. He's very talented at both, regardless of others saying he's much better at one. It would be funny to see him chose football, if only to see the hurling people's outrage. If it was visa-versa, the football folk would wish him well and support him and the rest of the hurlers. Sadly it often doesnt work in reverse, a trademark of GAA in Galway. Similar to Cork in some ways

Really makes you appreciate the dedication of Alan Kerins to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

You'd have to wonder what sort of a crowd will turn up to this? Cork don't tend to support their football teams in any great numbers and Galway fans in recent years haven't exactly been turning out in droves either.

And the Gaelic Grounds is a big stadium. A couple of thousand people will look very lost in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Maybe would have been better toss for home venue, even for AI final.....only the staunch fans will travel at that age group...where as team gets home venue, should attract a good crowd (you hope) and the staunch away fans will still travel(we hope)..

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Would say there will be a very small crowd at this tonight - especially with it being on TG4....hope Galway do it

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ye'll have the support of the Ros ladies anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Well, can Galway football convert the underage success to Senior?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Ros ladies a bit unlucky in a tight game.

Superb team performance with some stylish point scoring in slippy conditions. Not everything was perfect but there was enough to suggest that these lads will step up to the next level..

Maybe Daithi knows more than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Fair Play to Galway's u-21's, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Well, can Galway football convert the underage success to Senior?

Depends only a handful of today's team will make at senior level. These players along side the 2011,2007 All Ireland underage winners should develop at good senior team however it's about finding the right balance and system in place to become at success at senior level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He's first and foremost a hurler, and is more likely to stick with that. He's very talented at both, regardless of others saying he's much better at one. It would be funny to see him chose football, if only to see the hurling people's outrage. If it was visa-versa, the football folk would wish him well and support him and the rest of the hurlers. Sadly it often doesnt work in reverse, a trademark of GAA in Galway. Similar to Cork in some ways
    Prefers the football himself, and comes from Corofin. He may not have to choose either, he's in college in Galway and Loughgeorge wouldn't be far from his place, could very easily do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Well Done to Galway. A few stars for the future perhaps?

We need them all. Have we a midfield for the future? At last!
    We need it badly!

Ian Burke, Shane Walsh, Fiontan O'Curraoin, Adrian Varley and Daithi Burke
    were magnificent

A bit concerned that we let a 9 point lead slip. And that we didn't score in the last 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MfMan

gammygils wrote: »

We need it badly!

Ian Burke, Shane Walsh, Fiontan O'Curraoin, Adrian Varley and Daithi Burke
    were magnificent

A bit concerned that we let a 9 point lead slip. And that we didn't score in the last 20 minutes

As was Cathal Mulryan, who's had an outstanding campaign all through.

Wouldn't be hugely concerned about the last 20 minutes; Cork, playing with the breeze, were bound to come back strongly, and Galway were surely tiring after their sterling efforts up to that stage. Management must have been very sure of themselves to withdraw Ian Burke and Varley near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Ian Burke looked injured and Varley probably had run himself into the ground. Time nearly up and perhaps it was a bit of time management. Maughan would stay closer to the Cork goal and we needed to drag the Cork defence back towards their own goal. Was hoping there wouldn't be much injury time and expected more for the time Healy was injured and there were a lot of substitutions towards the end as well. The additional time had only been put up when the ref blew it up.

Mulryan kicked 3 great points and links up well with the other forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Nice to lift an all Ireland trophy in football again, well done lads .
    I thought they were worth a lot more than the 3 point win, they won the midfield, the backs were excellent and the forwards popped the points over every chance they got. I think Galways first wide was in the 4th or 5th minute of the second half.
    Apart from the result it was a great game of football a lot of very talented players from both counties, hopefully the Galway lads make the grade at senior level we badly need them.
    Ian Burke was the man of the match for me.

Adrian Varley is the hardest working player I've seen in a long long time. Mulryan is the same in that aspect. A joy to watch them yesterday.

Have to say it is really positive stuff to see how well O'Curraoin played. The most clean catches I've seen by a Galway man in an even longer long long time. If himself and Conroy end up in the midfield and have good games......................

Ian Burke was fantastic playing with the breeze. Took scores that the Kildare U-21's were dreaming of the last day.

All-in-all it was a badly needed boost for the big one in a fortnight. A big decision needs to be made by Mull and the management. I know Shane Walsh was making strides for the seniors in the League anyways but I doubt he'll be more than a sub appearance against Mayo.

Great job by Flynn and his team and tis a badly needed morale boost.

Have to say it is really positive stuff to see how well O'Curraoin played. The most clean catches I've seen by a Galway man in an even longer long long time. If himself and Conroy end up in the midfield and have good games......................
    Was there yesterday, a very mixed bag.
    That was probably the most ball I've seen a Galway midfield catch in donkeys of years, we were a bit slack with the breaks though

I noted that myself from the Wexford/Cork double header down Pearse during the league.
    And being honest it was mainly Fiontain who caught it.

The problem with the seniors that day wasn't catching clean ball, it was picking up the breaks where 95% of midfield possession is won. We were extremely poor that day so maybe introducing some of this U21's into those two lines(HF/HB) as I don't think anyone can doubt we've been extremely poor there for years now and none the better during the league this year.

I'd hate to see some of these lads overlooked for Mayo, it wouldn't be undue desperation to me.... I think that time passed about eight years ago now. We know exactly where most of the current senior team are at, and it's not good enough to even get to a 1/4 final so the smarter ploy would be to blood some of these lads this year and give them a fair crack at it(hopefully settled for 2014).

Going by the team that played Laois, I'd look to keep:

Breathnach/Flaherty

Hanley
    Duane
    An other(could even be Forde)

Bradshaw
    An other
    An other(one could be Sice though his best position is debabtable- HF?)

An other(obviously O'Curraoin who came off the bench in this game)
    An other(Griffin's tough which is what's needed most, Coleman had a good league here but is a bit light and has been tried here numerous times over the league- maybe a better option for HF line, Flynn another like Coleman who could be HF)

Conroy(other potential positions)
    An other
    An other

An other
    Meehan
    Martin(probably better HF but played CF in that Laois game)

Unstarted in that game who did well in spurts: Cummins, Armstrong.

There's about 6 positions there up for grabs

THFC wrote: »
    Prefers the football himself, and comes from Corofin. He may not have to choose either, he's in college in Galway and Loughgeorge wouldn't be far from his place, could very easily do both.

No he comes from Turloughmore and he and his brother prefer hurling. His father is a football man. Not trying to get into a tit for tat on the matter though!

gammygils wrote: »

We need it badly!

We have 2. Two years ago, Flynn got the plaudits winning player of the year. This year, with Flynn coming off a long term injury, it was O'Currain. But they are both super prospects and should be a towering pair for Galway for the next decade, injury permitting. O'Currain is probably better built for inter county midfield at this stage, with the taller Flynn yet to fully fill out. Couldn't pick which is better though, both have great future's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    No he comes from Turloughmore and he and his brother prefer hurling. His father is a football man. Not trying to get into a tit for tat on the matter though!
    No, neither am I, must have gotten it mixed up alright. Knew it was one or the other and his father is urging him to choose the sport he prefers less. Thought Turloughmore is in the Corofin catchment area though? Either way, whatever sport he chooses (if he has to choose) he'll be a massive addition to that panel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement