Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Playing very poorly after a bright start. Eoin Larkin is having a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Sergeant wrote: »
    Playing very poorly after a bright start. Eoin Larkin is having a cracker.

Very difficult circumstances to be fair. The intensity on both sides has fizzled out after Fergal Moore injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Galway in serious trouble, maybe Cunningham got lucky last year, as I said in another post, I was very worried about that midfield partnership and as it turned out they were taken to the cleaners, Tannion was so slow, lethargic and so loose that is position should be under threat but Cunningham has no alternative here.

With midfield been over run ball after ball rained in on top of Hynes where again as I posted previously he wasn't tested last season, Hogan took him to the cleaners. Not much positives I could see even Canning anonymous again from play. Kilkenny as impressive as ever, great to watch, Ryan looks a find out near the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

lads is there no better fullback in Galway other than Hynes he is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

loads cat in the sack but Cunningham won't change him, he will have to admit he's wrong. He wasn't helped by our midfield or half forwards workrate either, they simply let the KK lads puck ball after bal in on top of Hogan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

loads cat in the sack but Cunningham won't change him, he will have to admit he's wrong. He wasn't helped by our midfield or half forwards workrate either, they simply let the KK lads puck ball after bal in on top of Hogan

Cathal Moore argued that Kavanagh's return to the panel meant Galway were stronger this year than last. Obviously he's seen more of him than I have, but I would have thought the fact that Galway have reintroduced a full back that was deemed not good enough last year to the panel suggests they're really stuck to me. He also identified Joseph Cooney and I think Davy Glennon as big pluses for them. Glennon is good enough, but Cooney was abysmal around the middle of the field.

I'd have some sympathy for Hynes and indeed the rest of the full back line in that if your half forward line and midfield are getting cleaned out there's not much you can do. Sooner or later the pressure you're under will tell as waves of ball rain down on you, especially against a potent forward line against Kilkenny.

Cunningham's tactics leave a lot to be desired for me though. Every Galway and Kilkenny game seems to have a feature of Galway dragging players really deep and not having enough up front. And today, as was the case against Waterford, Galway played way worse with the wind than without, hitting some abysmal wides and not playing the ball around half as well as they did first half. They also didn't take the chances they were creating first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Anyone know the latest on Fergal Moore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

According to Tom Helebert on Hogan Stand he is in Clonmel hospital being treated for suspected concussion. Get well soon Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MfMan

Taken to hospital for a scan in Clonmel I heard on GBFM. Some mild concussion I think, but Cathal on TG4 seemed reasonably upbeat anyway, said he was talking afterwards. His injury can't (and probably won't) be used as an excuse for Galway's defeat; they're just around too long now to be knocked out of their stride like that.

More analysis later.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

From Galway Hurling Supporters Club on facebook

Just after hearing that Fergal Moore is in Clonmel Hospital. Fully conscious. Had an XRay to make sure there's nothing too serious. And progressing by all accounts. We're all thinking of you Fergal & wishing you a speedy recovery and hope you'll be back in action soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Cunningham's tactics leave a lot to be desired for me though. Every Galway and Kilkenny game seems to have a feature of Galway dragging players really deep and not having enough up front.

You're not the only one who thinks that! Cunningham's tactics are driving me barmy at this stage. They make no sense whatsoever and have lead to Canning being criminally misused. It must be a joy to the opposition to see him operating so far away from goal when we all know how lethal he can be in around the square.

You simply cannot beat Kilkenny adopting those kind of tactics, and today Galway could and should have been beaten by a lot more than 7 points. 15 would have been a more accurate refelction of Kilkenny's superiority.

It's way too negative and it's galling to see backs clearing ball up the field and it landing into the welcoming hands of an unchallenged Kilkenny defender, with hardly a Galway forward to be seen within 50 yards of the opposition goal.

It's not just against KK either. Galway adopted those same ill-advised tactics in the 2nd half of the Cork game last year and only got away with it because Cork weren't quite good enough to take full advantage. Kilkenny, of course, are more than good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Is Cunningham bringing club football tactics to how he sets out the Galway hurling team? The idea seems to be; make space inside so that the 1 or 2 forwards can score goals. Club football and senior inter county hurling are different, and the evidence shows that his tactics are not working. All the Galway supporters around me yesterday in Thurles were fustrated by the tactics used especially with the wind. After the bright start, we were never in the game and indeed could have lost by more as aidian24326 pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Very poor yesterday - Thurles has become a bit of a graveyard over the years at this stage. No point in blaming the pitch/stadium thou, the attitude & application of the players (with the notable exceptions of Callanan, Coen, Harte & Donnellan) is leaving an awful lot to be desired. To be honest I've thought this has been the over riding feature of the league as a whole, you'd wonder if the players think they're above playing in it, after all their perceived "success" last year. No fear of that with Kilkenny & Tipp thou - their movement, stickwork & overall seemingly enjoyment from playing the game was abundantly clear all day. Too many of our players looked as if they couldn't be arsed. When I got home last night I listened to the sports wrap up show on GBFM - Cunningham obviously thought himself above talking to them, & sent out Tom Helebert instead. I'd have liked if he was man enough to face the music, & I'd also appreciate if someone with a mic would ask him what the fk is he playing at with Canning - Joe reminds me a lot of yer man Rooney who plays for man utd, totally demotivated by being played out of position by a mangement team who won't build their attacking strategy around an obvious attacking talent. He looks like he's piled back on all the extra pounds he had shed last year too, but maybe I'm just paranoid. Helebert was banging on about focusing on getting the team right for the Leinster final - what harm would a playing in a league final against tipp in either Croker or Thurles have done to those aspirations? They've a serious job to do to get them up for it now - they looked unfit, uncoached, unskilled & totally out of sorts again yesterday. It's like watching an old movie with them, one kinda good year followed by 5-10 years of wilderness. And we laugh at Mayo footballers? I reckon at this stage there's a serious prospect that JC will never win an AI medal (a real one that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Once you have the two man FF line the game is down to luck. As good a fielder Glennon is there just isn't enough support for himself or Cyril. Canning is a great forward but he just isn't justifiably put to any use as a second Tannian.

Joe Cooney is operating as Iarla Tannian last year when it comes to long range efforts. He seems very nervy out there at times. Early in the match he got the ball and immediately pucked it towards the sideline where there wasn't even a KK player.

I really worry about the backs come championship. I don't think that they'd be able to stop the likes of a Hogan or a Lar. KK can get goals whenever they want, they just like to tip over points. You can see how important Moore is to the side from how they capitulated after he was stretched off.

Hope this isn't too over-dramatic and I feel like Helen Lovejoy typing this out but I feel it needs to be mentioned. Just from a sports fan perspective I hope that Moore takes it easy for the next few weeks. From our own shores we saw how Luke Marshall had a few concussions in a very short space of time, and especially if you guys hear any of the NFL horror stories about how head trauma can end up being fatal. I'm sure he'll be grand but especially considering it's an amateur game hopefully they'll have more sense than the rugby physios.

But anyways they've time before the semi that they should win without too much hassle but you don't want to be ran amuck by a Westmeath minor again any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

Glad to hear Fergal Moore is fine. As it turns out now, Walter Walsh- the innocent party - came out the worst. Moore's reckless challenge went unpunished. Not for the first time a Kilkenny player receives a bad injury and the ref sees nothing wrong with it. Moore deserved at least a yellow card and perhaps red. Galway were intent on taking Walsh from the start and all through the game.

And btw Cunningham's antics - unsporting conduct on the side line - is finally catching up on him. Unfortunately it has already rubbed off on some of players - for instance Andy Smith and Tannian - their arrogance towards free takers is disgraceful. The refs are on to them at last though.

Grats wrote: »
    Glad to hear Fergal Moore is fine. As it turns out now, Walter Walsh- the innocent party - came out the worst. Moore's reckless challenge went unpunished. Not for the first time a Kilkenny player receives a bad injury and the ref sees nothing wrong with it. Moore deserved at least a yellow card and perhaps red. Galway were intent on taking Walsh from the start and all through the game.
    ru
    And btw Cunningham's antics - unsporting conduct on the side line - is finally catching up on him. Unfortunately it has already rubbed off on some of players - for instance Andy Smith and Tannian - their arrogance towards free takers is disgraceful. The refs are on to them at last though.

If there's a more biased man in Ireland I'll be surprised.

Sure yeah, disgrace that he didn't get a yellow! Sure the refs first priority should be to give him a yellow of no consequence rather than try and insure that the player in question is, yano, not dead! It was never a red card.

When there's a genuine reason for debate about a refereeing decision of consequence, I'm all in favour to see that debate, but in game where Kilkenny dominated and the result was never in doubt, your post is simply sticking the boot in to people in Galway who are disappointed enough on the back of yesterday. Factor in the calls about Fergal Moore when the only concern from that incident should be about his safety given how long he was down for, and that post is in very bad taste.

A red for holding your ground and trying to use the shoulder?. :rolleyes:

Define unsporting conduct to free takers?

I seem to remember this recent picture rather vividly in relation to such conduct.

joeCanningEqualisesVKilkennySept12_large.jpg

If there's a more biased man in Ireland I'll be surprised.

Sure yeah, disgrace that he didn't get a yellow! Sure the refs first priority should be to give him a yellow of no consequence rather than try and insure that the player in question is, yano, not dead! It was never a red card.

When there's a genuine reason for debate about a refereeing decision of consequence, I'm all in favour to see that debate, but in game where Kilkenny dominated and the result was never in doubt, your post is simply sticking the boot in to people in Galway who are disappointed enough on the back of yesterday. Factor in the calls about Fergal Moore when the only concern from that incident should be about his safety given how long he was down for, and that post is in very bad taste.

You said it's a disgrace he didn't get a yellow card not me. Moore is fine, thank god. How could anybody suggest the situation should have been dealt with any differently - I certainly don't. But do remember that his reckless challenge left an opponent badly injured. Had it been a player with a red helmet from the opposing team I don't think you'd be so concerned. Rules are rules and too many refs are ignoring reckless fouling in the last year.

A red for holding your ground and trying to use the shoulder?. :rolleyes:

Define unsporting conduct to free takers?

I seem to remember this recent picture rather vividly in relation to such conduct.

joeCanningEqualisesVKilkennySept12_large.jpg

Trying to use a shoulder - interesting one! Shoulder to shoulder is allowed, not shoulder to head. Galway were intent on taking Walsh out from the start.

Unsporting conduct by Cunningham - you must have noticed, the ref did y'day, how he persistently stands almost on top of an opponent when taking a lineball or free close to the line. Add Mattie Kenny into the mix too, No other manager behaves like this.

Your example above is a joke I take it?

You said it's a disgrace he didn't get a yellow card not me. Moore is fine, thank god. How could anybody suggest the situation should have been dealt with any differently - I certainly don't. But do remember that his reckless challenge left an opponent badly injured. Had it been a player with a red helmet from the opposing team I don't think you'd be so concerned. Rules are rules and too many refs are ignoring reckless fouling in the last year.

If Tommy Walsh went down injured like that I wouldn't even give the incident a second thought, any reasonable person would say that a yellow card is completely immaterial in that situation.

Moore mistimed his tackle, a yellow card offence no more, and he easily came off as bad as Walter Walsh. The referee would have looked like an awful spast*c if he had given him a yellow card in that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Moore deserved at least a yellow card and perhaps red.

I hope you weren't there yesterday.

Anyone who calls for a red card for a player who is lying unconscious on the ground, while those around him don't know the extent of his injuries and whether or not the man is paralysed or not shouldn't be let within an asses roar of a GAA pitch. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MfMan

What are your views on Paul Murphy's challenge on Glennon, the one where he received a yellow card? And how unsporting is Henry's constant mouthing to refs? Is Cunningham the only manager to engage in sideline antics? Did Cody ever engage in it? Thurles '04, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Lapin wrote: »
    I hope you weren't there yesterday.

Anyone who calls for a red card for a player who is lying unconscious on the ground, while those around him don't know the extent of his injuries and whether or not the man is paralysed or not shouldn't be let within an asses roar of a GAA pitch. :mad:

If Moore hadn't knocked himself out in the process then he would definitely have deserved a card for that challenge. It was a shoulder to the face after all!

What's the word on Wally Walsh? Haven't heard anything.

Trying to use a shoulder - interesting one! Shoulder to shoulder is allowed, not shoulder to head. Galway were intent on taking Walsh out from the start.

Unsporting conduct by Cunningham - you must have noticed, the ref did y'day, how he persistently stands almost on top of an opponent when taking a lineball or free close to the line. Add Mattie Kenny into the mix too, No other manager behaves like this.

Your example above is a joke I take it?

Yes but it wasn't a shoulder to the head.
    In that scenario it's a yellow or red if it's clearly intentional as opposed to mistimed.
    I don't think there's any clear definition of what head to head contact is. I'd put that into the category of being a freak accident with a free to the attacking team.
    Certainly not a red card offence.

I wasn't talking about Cunningham, he does get animated on the line alright.
    I don't think he's any worse than Cody or Davy Fitz though.
    But that's not what I asked, you mentioned Smyth and Tannion's ''Unsporting Conduct'' and I asked for an example and provided a picture, since as far as I'm concerned that was unsporting conduct, though it was nothing to come onto a message board complaining about.

MfMan wrote: »
    What are your views on Paul Murphy's challenge on Glennon, the one where he received a yellow card? And how unsporting is Henry's constant mouthing to refs? Is Cunningham the only manager to engage in sideline antics? Did Cody ever engage in it? Thurles '04, no?

I was actually going to mention that incident in my post above but decided against it.
    It was the ''worst'' sideline behaviour I saw in my time attending matches(in so far as he went behind the goal to mouth at someone).
    Having said that, and the reason I left it out, is because to highlight it would be show you had a problem with it(or it was unacceptable).

I just saw it as a manager losing the run off himself, absolutely nothing wrong with a manager losing the plot unless it involves something like a former Clare player in an under age game kind of reaction.

Yes but it wasn't a shoulder to the head.
    In that scenario it's a yellow or red if it's clearly intentional as opposed to mistimed.
    I don't think there's any clear definition of what head to head contact is. I'd put that into the category of being a freak accident with a free to the attacking team.
    Certainly not a red card offence.

I wasn't talking about Cunningham, he does get animated on the line alright.
    I don't think he's any worse than Cody or Davy Fitz though.
    But that's not what I asked, you mentioned Smyth and Tannion's ''Unsporting Conduct'' and I asked for an example and provided a picture, since as far as I'm concerned that was unsporting conduct, though it was nothing to come onto a message board complaining about.

Being honest with you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with players sticking there hurleys up when a lad is taking a free. Theu are more than entitled to do so. It is against the rules to wave them but as long as they stay straight it's ok.

I know that's probably what he was referring to as well, so from that context the picture is justified. Just I wouldn't put it down as unsporting conduct in general.

Being honest with you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with players sticking there hurleys up when a lad is taking a free. Theu are more than entitled to do so. It is against the rules to wave them but as long as they stay straight it's ok.

I know that's probably what he was referring to as well, so from that context the picture is justified. Just I wouldn't put it down as unsporting conduct in general.

I agree completely.

Was just making the point that KK were doing it on the big stage not long ago, but it would have been a bit much to be coming on posting about the players in questions conduct.
    Same as Cunningham, he's no worse than any of the other current crop.

I agree completely.

Was just making the point that KK were doing it on the big stage not long ago, but it would have been a bit much to be coming on posting about the players in questions conduct.
    Same as Cunningham, he's no worse than any of the other current crop.

He's certainly no worse than Cody. Not on for manager bashing here, just saying that I would like to know what he was whispering in the ears of both Eamon O Shea and Cunningham during the league this year. Plenty of managers have altercations, but at the end of the day it's much of a muchness. This holier than thou portrayal though of any of them is what annoys me. They're one in the same by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

yes Galway were trying to take Wally out of it, but Moore done himself
    Wally was split over the eye from moores hit, just that Wally was the stronger and got up to his feet moore didn't.

watch it again Moore came in with the hit not Wally.

• Advertisement

yes Galway were trying to take Wally out of it, but Moore done himself
    Wally was split over the eye from moores hit, just that Wally was the stronger and got up to his feet moore didn't.

watch it again Moore came in with the hit not Wally.

Read the posts and you'll see that nobody is accusing Walter Walsh of anything. More the fact that it's incredible that anyone would be so fixated on a referee not giving a yellow card when there was serious concerns for the well being of that player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement