Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

So is the Gareth Bradshaw story true? Captains his county, throws a punch, gets sent off, then quits the panel when they need him most

No that's not the whole story. He got sent off playing a club match the following week, meaning the double suspension rule comes into play, so he's banned from all competitions for 2/3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

antoobrien wrote: »
    No that's not the whole story. He got sent off playing a club match the following week, meaning the double suspension rule comes into play, so he's banned from all competitions for 2/3 months.

For a double yellow?

h2005 wrote: »
    For a double yellow?

Second sending off in the (calendar?) year invokes an extra ban. In the case of two double yellows, you'd get the one month ban for a straight red.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Second sending off in the (calendar?) year invokes an extra ban. In the case of two double yellows, you'd get the one month ban for a straight red.

There's no ban at all for a double yellow sending off, not even if it happened every match of the year, suspensions only apply to straight reds or retrospective ban arrising from an incident missed by the officials.

Doubling of bans is enforced if you commit a second red card offence within 12 months of the first, both reds have to have been for the same thing ie dangerous play, abusing an official etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

There's no ban at all for a double yellow sending off, not even if it happened every match of the year, suspensions only apply to straight reds or retrospective ban arrising from an incident missed by the officials.

Doubling of bans is enforced if you commit a second red card offence within 12 months of the first, both reds have to have been for the same thing ie dangerous play, abusing an official etc.

Not sure if Bradshaws red for club was 2 yellows? I know he got sent off for mouthing at the ref though.

And against Mayo, it was for punching opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Not sure if Bradshaws red for club was 2 yellows? I know he got sent off for mouthing at the ref though.

And against Mayo, it was for punching opponent.

It was 2 yellows

h2005 wrote: »
    It was 2 yellows

So where does that leave him ban-wise?

To be honest, I was surprised that he was able to take part in the club game after being sent off the week before. But are club & county suspensions different now???

There's no ban at all for a double yellow sending off, not even if it happened every match of the year

Yes there is, see rule 7.
    (b) Misconduct at Games by Players, which consists of five Categories of Infractions which occur on or in the vicinity of the Field of Play, and which occur immediately before, during or after a Game:
    Category I
    Being ordered off on foot of a second Cautionable Infraction.
    Penalty:
    (i) Fixed Penalty: Debarment from playing for the remainder of the Game, to include any extra-time;
    (ii) Fixed Penalty on Repeat Infraction: 2 weeks Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level.

Bradshaw originally got sent off for a category 2 which invokes the repeat offence rule for that:
    Category II
    (i) Striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee.
    (ii) Striking or attempting to strike with a hurley, with minimal force.
    (iii) Kicking or attempting to kick, with minimal force.
    (iv) Behaving in any way which is dangerous to an opponent.
    (v) Spitting at an opponent.
    (vi) Contributing to a melee
    (vii) Abusive language towards a Referee, Umpire, Linesman or Sideline Official.
    Penalty:
    (i) Minimum: 4 weeks Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level, inclusive of the next Game in the same Competition of that Competition Year, even if that Game falls outside the Suspension time period;
    (ii) Minimum on Repeat Infraction: 8 weeks Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level as that at which the Infractions were committed, inclusive of the next Game in the same Competition of that Competition Year, even if that Game falls outside the Suspension time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Yes there is, see rule 7.

Bradshaw originally got sent off for a category 2 which invokes the repeat offence rule for that:

wow apologies never heard of that rule which is embarrassing as I have served on disciplinary committees.

I wonder is the rule ignored at club level? I have never in my life heard of a GAA player receiving a two week suspension? A month is the shortest I have ever heard of.

I wonder is the rule ignored at club level?

It would depend on whether the referee submits a report (sometimes they just relay the score to the board), no report means a sending off doesn't happen.
    I have never in my life heard of a GAA player receiving a two week suspension? A month is the shortest I have ever heard of.

I'll be honest that's the first I've seen of it, it was a month before. I went back and checked old copies of the rules and it's been that way since 2010 (the oldest copy of the rules I have).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Would love Shane Kavanagh to start on Sunday against Laois. God knows that Laois will be up for it.

Would love Shane Kavanagh to start on Sunday against Laois. God knows that Laois will be up for it.

Did he play any league game?

Yeah, Laois will be up for it. But being "up for it" should not make a difference given the gulf in class between these teams.

He was on the panel but wasn't available for most of the League. I hear he has been featuring in some challenge matches.

This is the same side that really struggled against Westmeath last year so I'm thinking it'll be well worth the trip over to Portlaoise. Willie Hyland seems to one to watch out for.

He was on the panel but wasn't available for most of the League. I hear he has been featuring in some challenge matches.

This is the same side that really struggled against Westmeath last year so I'm thinking it'll be well worth the trip over to Portlaoise. Willie Hyland seems to one to watch out for.

He is a good option at full back anyway. If he is as good as when he was Galway panel before....

Awful stuff today. Nothing to shout about. Moore had his worst match in a Galway jersey. Skehill's short puck outs were dreadful at times either due to him or due to the first touch of Moore and Coen. Donnellan was subbed after about about 30 seconds and Conor Cooney didn't seem to do anything in the first half.

There were some positives. Callanan and James Regan made big impacts when they came on. Shane Kavanagh was very impressive at times and himself, Canning and Tan could hold their heads up after that match. David Burke had a very good second half and Davey Glennon worked his socks off and deserved his goal.

Laois were really good and didn't deserve to lose. Hyland had Harte wrapped around his little finger, especially with the long puck-outs. The place erupted when they got their goal and after that Galway got the kick up the arse they needed to pull away.

Another Leinster final but a lot of problems to sort out. Some of the first touches today would put U-8's to same. I'm not sure whether I believe Cunningham was holding back today like Cody was against Offaly either. They were in real trouble for a long time. Another stressful day in the life of Galway GAA fans. That stress could be added to big time if we get Tyrone away in the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Well we got Tipperary and I suppose we hope to put it up to them especially with home venue.

nootroc wrote: »
    Well we got Tipperary and I suppose we hope to put it up to them especially with home venue.

Given the current state of Galway football, it may be a dangerous or foolish thing to say but I think Galway can beat Tipperary.

Tipp will be tricky but I would have said that about any team we played. Hopefully the prospect of breaking the curse will attract a good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Yeah, everyone would be pessimistic no matter who we got. In truth, it's a good draw. Tipperary are decent but won't play negative tactics. Galway have a much better chance of beating a side that tries to beat us with football, rather than someone like Antrim who would probably out do us tactically. I hope this is in Tuam, to reduce the chances of their being a wind. This Galway side has shown time and time again to be tactically inept when it's windy, failing to bring players back and crowding space against the wind and failing to break teams down who use that exact tactic when it's at their back.

Edit: Scheduled for Pearse stadium at 7 on the Saturday. Ah well. At least I can go out on the piss and celebrate or drown my sorrows after

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

How are ye lads? Fancy a round 2 tie at our place? Someone has to win!

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    How are ye lads? Fancy a round 2 tie at our place? Someone has to win!

Our mammies won't let us go there after that safety report. Tuam for a repeat of dereksavagewasn'tfkinfouledgate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Our mammies won't let us go there after that safety report. Tuam for a repeat of dereksavagewasn'tfkinfouledgate? :)

I like Tuam. Especially the taunting 'Irish Rail' hoarding behind the goals. It's been what, twenty years since a train was sighted in the bishop's town?

What year was it that Galway championship matches were moved to Tuam???

I know Ros beat us there in 2001. Was there Connacht championship matches there after that? Does it coincide with Galway's demise as a football force?

Heard the bishops speech at the weekend. About as outdated as the stadium

2004 I think Pearse opened, cant remember championship in Tuam since

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Heard the bishops speech at the weekend. About as outdated as the stadium

2004 I think Pearse opened, cant remember championship in Tuam since

There definitely hasnt been a championship match there since Pearse opened. I cant remember the matches there in '02 or '03 though. I will have to google after I finish writing this.

I like Tuam a lot. Championship in Tuam is a million times better than in Pearse. However, you are right. the ground in Tuam is not good enough to play championship games.

I think the showers not working after a national league match was the nail in the coffin. Real pity, there was something special about championship in Tuam. A lot of criticism was given for not renovating, but I could see the problems. The hurling crowd wouldn't go there, neither the football to Ballinasloe, and I doubt there was money for both. Tuam was also surrounded by boom time private property which hindered space for expansion. Salthill is a lovely stadium in the wrong location, although I will enjoy the Salthill experience for the Tipp game if it's a nice day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There definitely hasnt been a championship match there since Pearse opened. I cant remember the matches there in '02 or '03 though. I will have to google after I finish writing this.

I like Tuam a lot. Championship in Tuam is a million times better than in Pearse. However, you are right. the ground in Tuam is not good enough to play championship games.

I was at the 2003 Connacht Final - that was in Salthill, the first time I was in Pearse Stadium (I'm too young to remember it when it previously held championship games). 2001 was definitely still Tuam. Not sure about 2002.

I was at the 2003 Connacht Final - that was in Salthill, the first time I was in Pearse Stadium (I'm too young to remember it when it previously held championship games). 2001 was definitely still Tuam. Not sure about 2002.

yeah, 2003 was the year it changed alright. It does loosely coincide with Galway's falling fortunes in football. Which is interesting......especially since relocating to Pearse was supposed to have the opposite effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Played Rosc in 2002 connacht qtr final, won 12 pts to 8. That was the year Pearse stadium was reopened after refurbishment. Co board sold 10 yr tkts for the place with the promise of all Galway home c'ship matches being played there. Tuam not good enuf for intercounty, neither are Athenry/Ballinasloe for the hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Played Rosc in 2002 connacht qtr final, won 12 pts to 8. That was the year Pearse stadium was reopened after refurbishment. Co board sold 10 yr tkts for the place with the promise of all Galway home c'ship matches being played there. Tuam not good enuf for intercounty, neither are Athenry/Ballinasloe for the hurling.

Would have been 2003 as Galway beat Roscommon in Hyde park 2002.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement