Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

So which defeat was worse, Galway loss to Mayo or Sligo to London?

Sligo might have done Mulholland a favour, but looking at Tyrone today, there are going to be some very good teams in that draw, teams that will want a good run in the qualifiers, Tyrone, Armagh, Sligo with more to come each weekend from Munster and Leinster. AM needs a good draw to win a game, go straight out next game and it will be tough for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Armagh are terrible. Maybe have had a harder fall than Galway in the last 10 years. That said there's no team in the country that Galway can't lose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Armagh are terrible. Maybe have had a harder fall than Galway in the last 10 years. That said there's no team in the country that Galway can't lose to.

They may just possibly manage Tipp.
    How did the Galway lads do for London? Gottsche looked to be involved prominently anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

We will be gone as soon as we meet anyone better than mediocre. London or Carlow would be a challenge at this stage.

London will be a challenge from here on inwards. A lot of people would say they've been a threat before they ran Mayo close. They won't have the psychological issues that Galway have either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

When will the draw for the first round be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

aidan24326 wrote: »
    We will be gone as soon as we meet anyone better than mediocre. London or Carlow would be a challenge at this stage.

If it's in the first round maybe. But i've always thought if we could get 1 win under our belts in the qualifiers we could gain a bit of momentum which is huge and go on a run. The problem obviously has been continuously falling at the first hurdle.

But still, I think the general public has written us off as atrocious which isn't true. We are average no question and massively inconsistent, but a team from the bottom tier (like we are being potrayed) wouldn't have been able to play in division two for the last few years without a hint of relegation, or put in a performance such as the Roscommon game last year. The disaster against Mayo doesn't stop us having the best crop of youngsters in the country. We certainly won't get near any of the top 6/7, but hopefully we might see a bit of the sides potential in the qualifiers with the pressure (and expectation) totally off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    If it's in the first round maybe. But i've always thought if we could get 1 win under our belts in the qualifiers we could gain a bit of momentum which is huge and go on a run. The problem obviously has been continuously falling at the first hurdle.

But still, I think the general public has written us off as atrocious which isn't true. We are average no question and massively inconsistent, but a team from the bottom tier (like we are being potrayed) wouldn't have been able to play in division two for the last few years without a hint of relegation, or put in a performance such as the Roscommon game last year. The disaster against Mayo doesn't stop us having the best crop of youngsters in the country. We certainly won't get near any of the top 6/7, but hopefully we might see a bit of the sides potential in the qualifiers with the pressure (and expectation) totally off

Well Galway have certainly dabbled a little with relegation in division 2. They have never been right down there in it as they always seemed to win the match that dragged them away from it. But given the tight nature of division 2 since Galway have been there, they have not been far away from relegation at all at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lookitnow

I think right now, there isn't altogether that much in it between Divisions 2 and 3, certainly a lot less than between between 1 and 2. Then between 3 and 4 there is a sizeable gap again. Its easy to get into a relegation scrap and come out the wrong side with a bad run of results, just look at Meath and Monaghan last year. With Donegal getting relegated and with the addition of those two teams from Division 3, I can see it being a lot tougher next year. Also, bear in mind we'll be playing Donegal, Down, Meath or Monaghan away (as far as I can tell) it will be difficult to stay in the division never mind getting back to Division 2.

With regards the qualifiers, its going to take serious work by management to get us anyway competitive against Division 2 and 3 teams even! We realistically have only 4 weeks (going by AMs words after the game) to rectify the many problems we saw against Mayo (much of that being in the players minds). I don't envy their task. I do think as others do that if we manage to scrape through the first qualifier in any way shape or form that AM can salvage the season for Galway.

One good omen I can think of is that Galway usually have one performance of some kind in them in a year (whether in league or championship) Kildare and Roscommon in 2012, Meath in 2011, Sligo first time out in 2010. And yes I may be clutching at straws. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

THFC wrote: »
    When will the draw for the first round be made?

The fixture is down for the weekend of the 29/30 June. The draw last year took place on the 18th of June so some time around then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

So is the Gareth Bradshaw story true? Captains his county, throws a punch, gets sent off, then quits the panel when they need him most...but might come back in the future at some point if Galway get better.

No wonder Galway were that bad against Mayo if that's the kind of player they have involved. He should be politely told that he would not be welcome back under any circumstances.

Guess he must have left on semi-decent terms if the door is opened for a return as early as a month or two down the road if they somehow get that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

So is the Gareth Bradshaw story true? Captains his county, throws a punch, gets sent off, then quits the panel when they need him most...but might come back in the future at some point if Galway get better.

No wonder Galway were that bad against Mayo if that's the kind of player they have involved. He should be politely told that he would not be welcome back under any circumstances.

You have no clue of the circumstances of his departure from the panel in fairness. Could be several legitimate and understandable reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

You have no clue of the circumstances of his departure from the panel in fairness. Could be several legitimate and understandable reasons.

OK, what are the circumstances? I can only judge a situation as it is presented, from the outside it looks like how I put it in the post above. If there are mitigating circumstances you'd think Galway GAA would want to clarify that so that people don't see it as a walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

There could be many legitimate reasons, yes indeed, but......... It does not look good to have a top player and Captain leave after a mauling.

If it is down to management or GB they should not allow this to happen, sort it out and move on. Galway football should be the priority and bigger than individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vassago666

Can someone tell me what year the Galway GAA jersey that was Maroon and had a white pinstripe running down the front and back was? Is it still possible to get them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

vassago666 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what year the Galway GAA jersey that was Maroon and had a white pinstripe running down the front and back was? Is it still possible to get them?

Thanks
    Think that was the hurlers jersey of a few years ago, the year that JC did that back flick pass vs Cork iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

I thought Bradshaw was going to head off to the states for the summer as there is no point in him hanging around for intercounty selection, banned and we haven't a hope of beating any county in the qualifiers.

Haven't a number of Armagh players decided to do the same thing??

I thought Bradshaw was going to head off to the states for the summer as there is no point in him hanging around for intercounty selection, banned and we haven't a hope of beating any county in the qualifiers.

Haven't a number of Armagh players decided to do the same thing??

Was it always his intention to go USA this summer? If so, I wonder why he was made captain and was essentially made to be one of our key players.

Is Bradshaw still a student???

This article states:

"There is speculation that Bradshaw, who won a provincial title in 2008, may rejoin the Galway panel if they progress later in the summer, but the Moycullen star is currently unavailable."

http://www.thescore.ie/galway-gareth-bradshaw-933681-Jun2013/

For me, if he opts out now, he should have to earn his place back (regardless of how bad Galway are). I do wonder why he has quit. Was it all the criticism he got after the Mayo game? Himself & Coleman did get a rough time of it. But the way to answer that is not to quit the panel! He got sent off in a club match the week after too so maye its frustration but again, this is not the way to deal with it.

Like, why put in all the winter training and then quit when summer comes around? Makes no sense to me.

How often does something like Bradshaw quitting a panel after a hiding come across as peacefully as this has?

• Advertisement

I wonder why he was made captain and was essentially made to be one of our key players.

He's not our Captain per se, he took over when Hanley missed the Mayo game.

Just the Captain tag keeps getting attached to him when he was only Captain for the day in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

we haven't a hope of beating any county in the qualifiers.

You think?

Armagh
    Cavan or Fermanagh
    Antrim or Monaghan
    Tyrone
    Derry
    Sligo
    Laois
    Longford
    Carlow
    Westmeath
    Louth or Wexford
    Wicklow or Meath
    Offaly
    Limerick
    Tipp

Derry,Tyrone would be shortest straw but why would Galway have no hope against the rest? most of them would also get well beaten by Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

You think?

Armagh
    Cavan or Fermanagh
    Antrim or Monaghan
    Tyrone
    Derry
    Sligo
    Laois
    Longford
    Carlow
    Westmeath
    Louth or Wexford
    Wicklow or Meath
    Offaly
    Limerick
    Tipp

Derry,Tyrone would be shortest straw but why would Galway have no hope against the rest? most of them would also get well beaten by Mayo.
    Longford or Carlow maybe I'd put a tenner on Galway against them, all of the rest have enough to beat us I'm afraid.
    That said I hope we have a good run in the qualifiers that team need something to stop the decline.

He's not our Captain per se, he took over when Hanley missed the Mayo game.

Just the Captain tag keeps getting attached to him when he was only Captain for the day in question.

Yeah, I know Hanley is the captain. But my point was directed towards him being captain for the Mayo match. There were other options: Sice, Meehan, Armstrong are all "more senior" than Bradshaw in that they have been on the Galway panel for longer. But was Bradshaw announced as vice captain earlier in the year? Either way, it is a poor reflection on the management that the player they chose as captain against their biggest rivals quits the panel just a few days later. I know they can't predict the future and would not have known that Bradshaw was gonna walk, but still it makes you wonder how well they know their players.

Last year, everybody was saying Galway need a handy draw in the qualifiers to get themselves going again. We got Antrim and everybody rejoiced. But then, look at how that turned out. Galway are capable of beating any of those teams (except Tyrone & maybe Derry). However, they are also capable of losing to every one of them.

Yeah, I know Hanley is the captain. But my point was directed towards him being captain for the Mayo match....

Ah I know, wasn't really pulling you up in particular. It was more a case of that being the newest comment with it remarked so decided to quote it.

No harm if he wants to head off, the gap to the qualifiers is still another 4 weeks away. Couple that with a gap to the next game and his trip could be over by then.
    Hindsight is a great thing as they say, but after that Mayo game and the past number of years in general. I wouldn't fault any lad for making alternative plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The qualifiers are run on an almost weekly basis once they begin, lads.

If Bradshaw comes back after the first one and Galway have a run going it's very hard to see him making his way onto a winning team, the players that were there throughout would deserve better than that.

No harm if he wants to head off, the gap to the qualifiers is still another 4 weeks away. Couple that with a gap to the next game and his trip could be over by then.
    Hindsight is a great thing as they say, but after that Mayo game and the past number of years in general. I wouldn't fault any lad for making alternative plans.

:confused::confused::confused:

You would accept a player taking off to USA in the middle of summer and then bring him directly back into the team???? Geez, I wouldnt let the best player in the world to do that! What kind of condition would he be in when he came back??? Can yuo imagine any of the Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal, Cork, Kerry guys getting away with that?!

Bradshaw made a commitment at the beginning of the year to the Galway panel. Now, it looks like he feels they are not going to do anything worthwhile this year so he takes off and leaves them.

I'd understand it if it was for work etc. But if it is a summer like a J1 summer, then I do not understand it. He could do that next year (when he informs the management of his plans earlier in the year). However, quitting the panel at this stage of the summer shows a lot of disrespect for the management & his team-mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

:confused::confused::confused:

You would accept a player taking off to USA in the middle of summer and then bring him directly back into the team???? Geez, I wouldnt let the best player in the world to do that! What kind of condition would he be in when he came back??? Can yuo imagine any of the Dublin, Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal, Cork, Kerry guys getting away with that?!

Bradshaw made a commitment at the beginning of the year to the Galway panel. Now, it looks like he feels they are not going to do anything worthwhile this year so he takes off and leaves them.

I'd understand it if it was for work etc. But if it is a summer like a J1 summer, then I do not understand it. He could do that next year (when he informs the management of his plans earlier in the year). However, quitting the panel at this stage of the summer shows a lot of disrespect for the management & his team-mates.

Same thing happen with us after ye hockeyed us last year. David O'Gara did the honourable thing and told management he was going to America in the summer early in the year and he only got spot time in the league and didn't start v. Galway even though he's easily our second best HF by some margin.

The other lads who left after Galway never told management behorehand and they played. That's why players don't tell management, they're afraid of being dropped.

Syferus wrote: »
    Same thing happen with us after ye hockeyed us last year. David O'Gara did the honourable thing and told management he was going to America in the summer early in the year and he only got spot time in the league and didn't start v. Galway even though he's easily our second best HF by some margin.

The other lads who left after Galway never told management behorehand and they played. That's why players don't tell management, they're afraid of being dropped.

It seems Laois has been hit too:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0606/454893-mcnulty-understands-laois-player-exodus/
    Laois manager Justin McNulty has expressed understanding at the decision by some of his players to opt out of the panel for the rest of the summer.
    Gary Walsh and Kevin Meaney left the panel to travel to America for the summer following Laois’ disappointing heavy defeat to Louth in the Leinster Senior Football Championship.
    Brendan Quigley has since followed suit and McNulty said in the Leinster Express: “Obviously I am very disappointed the lads have left the panel after such a bitterly disappointing result, and it's understandable that they feel our prospects are bad in the qualifiers.”
    McNulty continued: “We are not in a unique situation, Armagh lost four players and Down lost four players, and Down showed what can be done even if you do lose players.
    “It’s important now that the players who remain all row in together and all face what will be an exciting challenge ahead.
    “It’s worth noting as well that some players have reneged on the chance to go to America, Matthew Campion was due to go to America but reneged because it was his ambition to play for Laois, and that is a good news story.”

Everyone is different but I dont know how somebody who is given the opportunity and honour to play for their county could opt out like this.
    The chances are that the likes of Galway & Laois will not play too many chances this summer. Why not stay and play until their championship ends? Then go to USA.....But if you accept a call up to the county panel earlier in the year, then you are giving a commitment to that panel and it should be honoured. Then again, from a player's point of view, they can be dropped by management at any time so why shouldn't they do the same if they want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Everyone is different but I dont know how somebody who is given the opportunity and honour to play for their county could opt out like this.
    The chances are that the likes of Galway & Laois will not play too many chances this summer. Why not stay and play until their championship ends? Then go to USA.....But if you accept a call up to the county panel earlier in the year, then you are giving a commitment to that panel and it should be honoured. Then again, from a player's point of view, they can be dropped by management at any time so why shouldn't they do the same if they want?

There is a cut off as for when you need to be registered to play in the US and once you play there you are ineligible for your own club for its either 60 or 90 days, so obviously the sooner they go the better chance they have of been back for the bussiness end of their clubs campaign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement