Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Leader's'' Debate - TV3 - 8.00PM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Martin is a failure, a big part of a failure of a Government that has destroyed Ireland. Let's not forget this.
    "We have turned a corner" will echo in the history of this contry.

Eamonn is not coming across as a competent option as a leader.

As for Enda, how can anyone send this man to EU and IMF, he is even afraid of Vincent ffs.

Party Politics is going to destroy this country. :(

Any chance of getting Gerry and Ian to comedown and sort this place out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Does Martin actually have a policy on anything.....other than I dont agree with FG and Labour.

His policy for this debate is to lie at a furious rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ebbsy wrote: »
    Kenny the real winner here. Let the two boys achieve nowt.

By ducking the debate and all the shocking PR he got from that, he is the biggest loser tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 killy09

MM: i abolished the heath boards. bull. He amagamated the the healthboards and called it the hse and then put a new management layer on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Exactly, it was the layer of management that refused to go after the health boards were abolished.

HSE is not perfect by a long stretch but in international analyses, our health system has improved its rankings dramatically since health boards abolished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

Come on Eamon, take the high moral ground - promise not to take the bonus and pension and ask MM to forgo his - its the least he can do for his role in this mess....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Flimbos wrote: »
    Martin: "Eamon, talk about the future"..

Let's not dwell on the past now Michéal :rolleyes:

Summed him up for me. The last 13 years never happened. MM is a wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Martin slouching in his chair does not give a good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

My internet feed just dropped. Cant watch any more of it. Have to say in my opinion MM comes across much better than EG so far who looks stumped at times and goes back to old rhetoric. Fine Gael surely the only ones who'll benefit from tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Tarobot wrote: »
    Exactly, it was the layer of management that refused to go after the health boards were abolished.

HSE is not perfect by a long stretch but in international analyses, our health system has improved its rankings dramatically since health boards abolished.

And the govt. who implemented it had no say in this? Was it completely impotent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Deepwell wrote: »
    Come on Eamon, take the high moral ground - promise not to take the bonus and pension and ask MM to forgo his - its the least he can do for his role in this mess....

I find it odd that in the debate about political reform the word "accountability" never comes up . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I wouldn't call this a debate since half the time they're shouting over each other. IMO neither man is coming off particularly well, theres a lot of petty sniping and Gilmore is letting Martin get away with accusations like Gilmore would have accepted the guarantee when he has multiple times said he wouldn't.

Martins party helped ruin the country and Gilmore should be reading him out of it like Pat Rabbitte did to Pat Carey a few months ago.

Also VB is an awful moderator, he's got no control at all.

I agree with this - Gilmore is missing the chance to explain/counteract Martin when VB hands over to him, he appears to go off at a tangent.

Has Martin explained anything about his partys policies?
    This appears to be the FF leader crossexamining the Labour leader!
    Which is bizarre - i'd prefer just VB doing each one on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

If all that mm says is true, and something to be proud of, can someone shed some light as to how the country is in such a mess, especially on employment health, and the debt of course,

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Here we go...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Gilmore has been rather poor tonight, truth be told. The Gilmore Gale is deflating every day. Kenny is only strengthened by his abstinence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Subtle dig Vinnie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

That would be the final nail in their coffin. FF propping up a FG government would cause even their most hardcore supporters to just walk away.

Respect your opinion, and you may well be proved correct...

My logic for making the statement as follows - a) I think their (FG & FF) policies are most closely aligned of all the parties and b) assuming (big assumption I know) that the economy does turn for the better over the life of the next administration then FF will want in some way to be associated with same, and supporting a minority government may be the way to go...

As you say, their die-hards wouldn't like it, but I do think that's where MM sees himself taking FF (but I'll admit, what do I know.....)

pjmn

FF really believe that we haven't noticed what has happened in the last 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

This should be interesting now! Will Gilmore capitalise?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

MM trips up on handshake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 kimberlite

Gilmore..where are your policies? Micheál is by far the better debater!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Here we go......

"If I'm elected to the next Dail I will be permanently losing money for the rest of my life"

Absolutely stunningly misplaced sense of "entitlement".

That statement alone should lose him his election and his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,133 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gilmore exposed as every inch the career politician with no governmental experience.

MM seems more informed, experienced and articulate.

Wouldn't vote for either party, but find it distressing that Gilmore will be involved in running the country going forward.

The Universal Health policy in particular, is ponies and unicorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

setting up the hse was a good thing, not laying anyone off when doing it was idiotic. id blame ahern and the unions for that more then martin. Hope they screw martin on that 90000 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

ascanbe wrote: »
    And the govt. who implemented it had no say in this? Was it completely impotent?
    Of course but I don't think you realise the power of the unions in this country. In relation to the HSE, they know they can bring this country's hospitals to a stand still.

Mary Harney had to face down the consultants who wanted more and more money. Not that she gets any credit for it.

And who are the unions telling us to vote for? Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

Just zoomed in on the label on the sole of MM's shoe.....think it reads 'Right' presume the other might say 'Left'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

Nail him Eamon!!

Denerick wrote: »
    Gilmore has been rather poor tonight, truth be told. The Gilmore Gale is deflating every day. Kenny is only strengthened by his abstinence.

Political abstinence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If all that mm says is true, and something to be proud of, can someone shed some light as to how the country is in such a mess, especially on employment health, and the debt of course,

The way he is talking one would think we are a glowing success and its all down to him. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

They were all bona fide decisions taken in the best interests of the country don'tcha know....

definitely not desperately grasping at any way they could save their buddies in the galway tent by saddling the country with their debts...oh no, definitely not.

Advertisement