Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Leader's'' Debate - TV3 - 8.00PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Cant help but wonder if Michael Martin was leader of F.F. the past 3 yrs instead of Cowen would it have made any difference to the state of this country ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is that 112,000 unique votes though? Coz I know I "voted" about 12 times

Ahhhhh I didn't realise you could vote more than once.

Well I still think it will achieve a large audience of about half a million viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I thought TV3 did really well - VB was an excellent moderator.

Thats sarcasm right? because otherwise I fear for your sanity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

112,000 people voted!

This suggests the debate attracted a substantial viewership, well over half a million.

I was on it for around a minute and voted six times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I thought TV3 did really well - VB was an excellent moderator.

RTE will do the exact same thing by the way - I presume you will have the same criticism when they do it.
    I'm no fan of the RTE/Pravda but i'll call it like i see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

112,000 people voted!

This suggests the debate attracted a substantial viewership, well over half a million.
    wrong wrong wrong 112,000 votes, every person voted at least 10 times so (i know i did) max 100000 viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

So its a choice between a coward an actor and politico.
    That was depressing. Its the ULA for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Cant help but wonder if Michael Martin was leader of F.F. the past 3 yrs instead of Cowen would it have made any difference to the state of this country ..
    He's FF. It would have made no difference. Do you actually buy into his bluster :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Mister men wrote: »
    He's FF. It would have made no difference. Do you actually buy into his bluster :o

Exactly we would still have had much the same cabinet lenihan would still have gambled on the banks.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

He seems to think that FF did the right thing at every turn and is determined to continue along the same path.
    So, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

blue_steel wrote: »
    So its a choice between a coward an actor and politico.
    That was depressing. Its the ULA for me.

So you have chosen a bunch of spoofer's then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

It seems that Micheál Martin was high on caffeine tonight, won't make a difference really. I think it's unfortunate for Eamon Gilmore though, there were many areas where he could have laid in a good solid punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Not a huge amount really. The damage was done long before 3 years ago. Replace Bertie with someone else and maybe it'd have been different but a housing bubble bursting is brutal on an economy regardless of who is in power and the housing bubble was happening regardless of what party was in power (FF did aggravate it with some of their policies but I'm extremely sceptical that a FG/Lab Government wouldn't have succumbed to the same pressure given their going on about how hard it was to get on the property ladder and other such during the boom years).

Then, I'm a cynic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well the public definitely think Martin won!

Gilmore 51 Martin 49 on the TV3 poll

At that start id say that would have been 70 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    that was sh**e debate, TV3 analysis is taking the piss.

I so agree with you. I thought someone must have switched stations without me realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

Mister men wrote: »
    thats cause for years as a ff minister they never listened to any of the warnings being shot across the bow of this ship that is this country, and never made a change so what in gods name makes anyone think there going to make the change now. so no i don't buy into the bluster at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

This morning I woke up expecting a great debate,At 22.10 I am still waiting.

TV3,Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Koloman wrote: »
    So you have chosen a bunch of spoofer's then?

As opposed to who exactly?

This morning I woke up expecting a great debate,At 22.10 I am still waiting.

TV3,Disaster.

How is this TV3's fault?

Presumably both leaders only agreed to the debate if the moderator was only allowed to ask the question. It's like that in the US debates and the UK ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

From the amount of the debate I saw; it was like 2 bald men fighting over a comb, and the one that previously took must of the teeth out of it was the one fighting the most.

• Advertisement

Seriously, drop it. Please discuss the debate only

How is this TV3's fault?

Presumably both leaders only agreed to the debate if the moderator was only allowed to ask the question. It's like that in the US debates and the UK ones.

I never said it was TV3's fault,I said they were a disaster in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I enjoyed the debate far more than I expected. It was very engaging and there was no clear winner which was good from a viewing point. There was no knock out blow or big mistake by either man. It was very even and points were well made. Despite quite a bit of waffle, both gave strong performances.

It's hard to say who won. It would be worth doing round by round - in the rounds Gilmore won (health in particular) he won in a more clear manner than in those Martin won. Martin was on the attack which was a surprise. Gilmore, as was suggested by his PR would'nt be on the attack and would be statesman like - not sure if that was the best approach. He had far more ammunition than Martin and should have used it more often to land blows. Lots of missed opportunities. Martin said a lot of stuff that could have been ridiculed by Gilmore. Had that been someone like Noonan opposite Martin it would have been a landslide victory for Noonan. But Gilmore was still very strong.

As for Dame Enda Average - his contribution would have been dragged down the debate. By the time he would have got a sentance out the 45 seconds would have been up. His lack of attention to detail and general lack of understanding, and very poor debating style - he would have dragged down proceeding. It's no surprise he wants a 5 way so much and picked the 3 way to be broadcast on all channels knowing well that may fall apart without agreement. He would have been destroyed in a one to one with either Martin or Gilmore - despite FG's plan being the most credible - because of how inept he is. He was slightly beaten by Bertie in 07 and there is no doubt Martin and Gilmore are far better debaters than Bertie.

If this was a presidential election - it would only be a 2 way race. Enda wouldn't even have got the nomination from his party. He is damn lucky he is the leader of FG and not Labour or FF.

On a final note - well done to Vinny. Proved he doesn't have to make everything about him, and frankly it could have been anyone there. His presence wouldn't have effected Enda at all had he appeared. If I recall Miriam in 07, she interupted Enda and Bertie lots and it was quite different.

I look forward to the one on one interviews Vincent is going to do with Gilmore and Martin - starting on Thursday night. Will totally change dynamics as VB will able to cross examine in his unique style and flush out the waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

i thought it was quite a good debate, the reason, well with only two parties to the debate there was minimal interruptions and little need for any interation frm VB.

both leaders were able to articulate their policies with plenty of time to elaborate on them

a five way debate will be a shouting match with nothing coming out of it.

as for who came out of it better, i would say Martin (i will admit bias) ..but Kenny is really the winner by default as gilmore may have lost votes rather than gain and labour's loss should mean FGs gain.

what stuck out to me was Gilmores assertion that FF's policy on Political reform was 'tinkeing' while all he was suggesting was having more shouting matches in the dail. if anything FF's suggestions are very radical compared to anything suggested by anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

So, it was a just a joint press conference. Not a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Sickened by Martin - he's at cabinet table for the past, what, 12 years and now pretends that he's the new guy on the block with new ideas, and had nothing to do with bankrupting the country. Hiding away in Foreign Affairs for the past few years didn't make him any less culpable, and his performance at the debate was appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

SB-08 wrote: »

I look forward to the one on one interviews Vincent is going to do with Gilmore and Martin - starting on Thursday night. Will totally change dynamics as VB will able to cross examine in his unique style and flush out the waffle.

Didn't realise he was doing this - I could have saved an hour and a half of my life tonight.

I never said it was TV3's fault,I said they were a disaster in general.

I don't get what TV3 have to do with the performance of the debate itself...

What I got out of this was two politicians telling each other to leave politics aside for the good of the nation!,one was saying,"no this policy will not work & will further damage our economy" & vice versa!.

The only thing I got out of this debate was that we should not be having a General Election/but rather a Referedum-esque system put to the nations people to see who would favour a national government,with party politics pushed aside for the good of our country.

All I hear & see is the constant blame game & the cutting down of policy's,lets cut out the talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyone know how I can contact Vincent Browne show about tonight's debate.

Found Vincent Browne's personal twitter, which had tweets out while debate was on so he mustn't be doing it himself, but can't find twitter or e-mail address for actual show.

Really want to send message about quality of tonight's debate and analysis afterwards.

Advertisement