Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    wilfitz wrote: »
    What setting on the rower?? Did this tonight, first time on the rowing machine in years did it in 3.50 but it was not at the hardest setting. Set it at 7 with 10 been the hardest. Did it as my warm up and think this is the way to go.

The setting is a personal preference. While 10 may be harder to row, each row will move you further than the setting below.

Mess about with the settings and see which one you feel most comfortable with. You can't cheat on the rower. To do 1000 metres in 3.50 on level 10 or level 3 is going to take the same amount of effort. Enjoy :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Setting 10 @ 3.48 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    AntiVirus wrote: »

The setting is a personal preference. While 10 may be harder to row, each row will move you further than the setting below.

Mess about with the settings and see which one you feel most comfortable with. You can't cheat on the rower. To do 1000 metres in 3.50 on level 10 or level 3 is going to take the same amount of effort. Enjoy :-D

Set it at level ten today and managed to do it in 3'34. 16 seconds better than my first try at level 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Less than 2 minutes
    Did a 2km on tues evening.
    Got 7:38

I normally just do 30s on/30s off x 6-10.
    Found it tough enough.

Will be training at work a lot from now on So the rower will feature a lot more.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    wilfitz wrote: »

Set it at level ten today and managed to do it in 3'34. 16 seconds better than my first try at level 7.

16 seconds is a big jump! Great stuff, if you feel good on 10 then leave it there. Good time you got. I'm looking forward to getting back into it after my ribs have healed :-)

Well not really looking forward to it :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Top work - 16 secs is a huge improvement!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Here's one - what's everyones 100m time like? <15s seems to be a savage time?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hanley wrote: »
    I'll let you know later.
    I'll do a 500m and a 100m tonight.
    Then I'll do Keffini. Then Ill go home feeling painfully "conditioned" and cursing you.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'll let you know later.
    I'll do a 500m and a 100m tonight.
    Then I'll do Keffini. Then Ill go home feeling painfully "conditioned" and cursing you.

I positively guarantee you you will not do all three of those together and get an accurate idea of your capability on any one of them, except for maybe the first one.

Less than 2 minutes

I don't know for sure but I'd be hoping 16/17s.

Ill try it next session.

In thinking of giving the 100m & 500m sprints a go in March at the indoor champs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I positively guarantee you you will not do all three of those together and get an accurate idea of your capability on any one of them, except for maybe the first one.

Yeah, of course i'm kinda counting on that tbh.
    That way I can come back in a week do a different one and brag about my improvements ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    4:06 today, getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Do you guys pull the handle back through the legs or over the legs I know most pull it over the knees but I find it more comfortable through the legs

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Do you guys pull the handle back through the legs or over the legs I know most pull it over the knees but I find it more comfortable through the legs

I've never seen it pulled through the legs? I can't imagine how you could do it properly like that? :confused:

You shouldn't have to lift it up or down just pull it straight, with correct technique your knees will automatically go down before the bar hits your knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Good thread - have a few results to throw in, all from this week, all on a Concept C2. I would only row as a warm up 400m 3 times a week, anything else is random sprints every few weeks so its not part of a regular training program.

20 sec sprint - 117m, so if linear then the 100m would be 17.09 sec

tabata row - 860m (no roll on counted in the 10 sec break so just the exact meters covered in the 8 x 20 second intervals)

500m sprint - 1:29.0

2000m - 7:09.6, thought I had a sub 7 min but it wasn't to be, damper on 10. I think my splits were 1:43 and 1:45 for first two 500s so the 1k would have been approx 3:28-3:30. Next spilt was 1:54 and last one might have been 1:47 but was stuggling to know my name at that stage.

So the aim is to improve on them all next year.

Between 2 and 3 minutes

One year when the Neptune and Commercial regattas were on over the weekend they had a 100m erg challenge and the winner did it in 14.7 or 14.9 seconds, I cannot remember and it does not appear to be mentioned on the trophy which I happen to have, having won it!:D

Done on an old model b on the smaller cog with vents open iirc and next fastest time was 15.2 or so from some international GB rowers!

I believe I tried it 4 times and did 15.2, 15.2, 15.1 and then 14.9 or 14.7.

The 100m is great if fit with no niggles but it is defo one where you can royally fcuk yourself up as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    One year when the Neptune and Commercial regattas were on over the weekend they had a 100m erg challenge and the winner did it in 14.7 or 14.9 seconds, I cannot remember and it does not appear to be mentioned on the trophy which I happen to have, having won it!:D

Done on an old model b on the smaller cog with vents open iirc and next fastest time was 15.2 or so from some international GB rowers!

I believe I tried it 4 times and did 15.2, 15.2, 15.1 and then 14.9 or 14.7.

The 100m is great if fit with no niggles but it is defo one where you can royally fcuk yourself up as well!

How long of a rest time would one need during each 100m? 15s is far beyond my capability, but I'd like to give it a bash during the week.

Less than 2 minutes
    traco wrote: »

500m sprint - 1:29.0

2000m - 7:09.6,

That's a very good 2k time.

I did 500m in 1:23 a while ago.

I did 2k in 7:28.5 today.

Have no endurance!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    That's a very good 2k time.

I did 500m in 1:23 a while ago.

I did 2k in 7:28.5 today.

Have no endurance!

Thanks, rower is great for metrics you either hit the distances and times or you don't. Was hoping to go sub 7 on that row but didn't have the engine so that's what needs to be worked for 2013.

For the crack I might as well lay out the targets and make them formal, might help motivate me.

20 sec Sprint - 120m
    Tabata row - 880m
    500m sprint - 1:25.00
    1000m - 3:25.00
    2000m - 6:55.00

Ok, so there it is. Time to get to work, the toughest will be the Tabata as I'll I have to average 110m in each 20 sec period with only 10 sec recovery between each. That will be a very unpleasant 4 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

Just saw this today:

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e6oit4mb7cfa83eb&llr=katrejlab

Thats a good target to aim for. Couple of options too: 2000m or 500m

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Wahoo... Just pulled me a 6m 56s 2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Between 2 and 3 minutes

That's a very good time. On a scale of 1 to pain, how bad was it? I'm a little scared to attempt one after the experience of doing 1km a couple of times...

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Nice one!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    That's a very good time. On a scale of 1 to pain, how bad was it? I'm a little scared to attempt one after the experience of doing 1km a couple of times...

11-12.

I was in MUCH bigger hole than the other lads who came in at 7m06s and 7m22s. I think they're "fitter" but I was just more efficient and as a result worked harder to get my time. If that makes sense?

I think the beta alanine helped for sure. 3m22s was the 1km split and my PR when I was fitter was 3m 17s and today was obviously easier for the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I think the beta alanine helped for sure. 3m22s was the 1km split and my PR when I was fitter was 3m 17s and today was obviously easier for the first half

Fair fúcks. I must attempt one soon. Where do you get your beta-alanine? I'm interested in trying it.

Do you take creatine as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    First time on rowing machine since beginning of December. 3.58 mins for 1000m. Badly need to improve. Down 10 secs on my best.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Very Good time H!

3m22 would mean second 1k was 3m34.

I can only imagine the anguish as the splits started dropping in the 3rd 500m and legs by then were hanging on?

Good on you for doing it - the thought of a 2k scares me! :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Very Good time H!

3m22 would mean second 1k was 3m34.

I can only imagine the anguish as the splits started dropping in the 3rd 500m and legs by then were hanging on?

Good on you for doing it - the thought of a 2k scares me! :D

I'd the projected finish showing the entire time. I knew once I held 1.45-1.47 for the last 500 I'd come in under 7. When I came thru the first 1km at 3m 22s I knew I was gonna be fine.

Tbh even thru the last 250m I was comfortable. It was only after that it hit me.

I'm half thinking of < 3min 1km. Is that even doable?!

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Is sub 3m doable for 1km well yes it is.

However it is far harder than you'd think.

IMO - the 500m can be muscled to some extent.

Big Loz (Strongman) has done a 1m19 500m which is immense.

The 2k is where you really need good technique and fitness.

Remember Matthew Pinsent - don't think he'd ever pulled even for a stroke or two much less than 1m12-1m14 and at his time in the GB camp when doing max power tests one or two would hit 1m09 or so.

However he did average 1m26 or a bit less for a 2k and did 1m39 and a bit at altitude for 30mins 9k+ in half an hour. 1m30 for 15mins which was a 5k.

No doubt he would have done a sub 2m50 for a 1k at his peak imo maybe 2m48 or so.

Now the thing is - he'd not look rushed - still great technique - setting 4-5, maybe 6.

We might get it lower for a single stroke than he would or the same kind of time but what they have is the ability to maintain near maximum power for a lot longer than we could ever dream of.

Now is a 1k a sprint or an endurance event?

My dentist who is an ex rower thinks 2m59.9 is doable but he felt you needed to be training hard for it for a 6-12 months - doing your 20 minute pieces to build endurance and then bring in the speed whilst also working on your strength such as squats, cleans, bench pulls etc.

Here is the things you'd do sub 1m30 for 500m right?

If you set the pace boat for say 1m30 - I would see how long I could match him for - could you get 600m or more at 1m30?

Sean (dentist) wants the 6-12months of dedicated training so that one can achieve the sub 3mins without needing an ambulance and oxygen on standby at the end.

However I am of the opinion if one wants to revisit a meal or two and is prepared for unhuman levels of discomfort then maybe the 3k could be achieved in a faster manner by working up to it.

500m at 1m30
    550m at 1m30 etc.

I could drop down to Rev and offer some advice in a do as I say and don't be wondering why I left my training gear at home kind of way! :D

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Is sub 3m doable for 1km well yes it is.

However it is far harder than you'd think.

I think it's the most miserable test I can imagine....

IMO - the 500m can be muscled to some extent.

Big Loz (Strongman) has done a 1m19 500m which is immense.

The 2k is where you really need good technique and fitness.

Remember Matthew Pinsent - don't think he'd ever pulled even for a stroke or two much less than 1m12-1m14 and at his time in the GB camp when doing max power tests one or two would hit 1m09 or so.

However he did average 1m26 or a bit less for a 2k and did 1m39 and a bit at altitude for 30mins 9k+ in half an hour. 1m30 for 15mins which was a 5k.

No doubt he would have done a sub 2m50 for a 1k at his peak imo maybe 2m48 or so.

Now the thing is - he'd not look rushed - still great technique - setting 4-5, maybe 6.

We might get it lower for a single stroke than he would or the same kind of time but what they have is the ability to maintain near maximum power for a lot longer than we could ever dream of.

Now is a 1k a sprint or an endurance event?

My dentist who is an ex rower thinks 2m59.9 is doable but he felt you needed to be training hard for it for a 6-12 months - doing your 20 minute pieces to build endurance and then bring in the speed whilst also working on your strength such as squats, cleans, bench pulls etc.

Here is the things you'd do sub 1m30 for 500m right?

Yeah I tink the long distance endurance work makes a lot of sense - kind of matches how long distance sprinters train too. Better your endurance, the longer it takes to go anaerobic and the longer you can stay producing power before lactate wins!

I've done a 1m 23.8s 500m. Just looked and my 1km PR was 3m 20s, but I'm guessing my rowing fitness is far above that.
    If you set the pace boat for say 1m30 - I would see how long I could match him for - could you get 600m or more at 1m30?

Reckon I probably could... you're looking at what, another 18s or so at that pace to get to 600m?
    Sean (dentist) wants the 6-12months of dedicated training so that one can achieve the sub 3mins without needing an ambulance and oxygen on standby at the end.

However I am of the opinion if one wants to revisit a meal or two and is prepared for unhuman levels of discomfort then maybe the 3k could be achieved in a faster manner by working up to it.

500m at 1m30
    550m at 1m30 etc.

I could drop down to Rev and offer some advice in a do as I say and don't be wondering why I left my training gear at home kind of way! :D

I wonder what brute force and pig ignorance could do alright. Can't really say I fancy trying tho. Might take a lash at a 500 some time next week. I don't have my C2 in RF sadly :( CAn't wait to move somewhere bigger so I can rob it off Barry.

Advertisement