Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I am back at it.

3rd session done tonight.

Now for those vaguely interested what I plan to do is this:

Session 1: 8am
    Session 2: 8pm the following day
    Next Free Then repeat this gives me 36 hours between sessions which atm for me makes a difference. :D

Now tonight I hit 7294m which was a moderate improvement.

However the row was a lot harder as a result of my actions...

I deliberately went out hard - I know at the minute I would struggle to do 7500m in 30 minutes, so going out for the first three minutes at 1m52 pace was brave and going through 10 minutes averaging around 1m59 was braver. :)

I was for want of a better term to pre-exhaust to see if I could hang on.

Turns out I can and did - rate was too high average at 22 but apart from that it was ok but a lot harder than session 2.

Leg drive is uneven - possibly due to me having rowed stroke side and I am going to work on making sure I get a similar drive from the left,

Seat a bit uncomfortable but I always had an issue with the seats in a boat and my tailbone so no surprise there. I can see some surgery being done to a seat in order to have the tailbone off the back of the seat.

Apart from that the only neg would be I am posting this at 1.30 am very much awake! LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I finally got off my backside and joined the gym today.
    I did the fitness test which was 3 mins of push ups, 3 mins of sit ups followed by 1000m row set to level 5!!
    Managed to do the row in a 3min 44s but I felt physically sick after and wasn't able to do anything after.
    It took me literally a half hour to start feeling OK.
    I think I pushed myself too hard to start with considering I'm 37, overweight, smoke and haven't exercised properly in 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

I don't usually use the rowing machine, only as a warm-up in the gym. Timed myself tonight, out of curiosity, and did 1000m in 3 minutes 19 seconds. Came across this thread on google as I was interested to know if this is a decent time for 1000m. I was giving it 100% and hope to improve if I can. Looking forward to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Irish94 wrote: »
    I don't usually use the rowing machine, only as a warm-up in the gym. Timed myself tonight, out of curiosity, and did 1000m in 3 minutes 19 seconds. Came across this thread on google as I was interested to know if this is a decent time for 1000m. I was giving it 100% and hope to improve if I can. Looking forward to the challenge.

If it was a concept2 rower, then its a very good time. If it's another model, then there's no real way to compare it to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Good to see life in the thread again. Have had some rowing programmed in over the last few weeks. Monday was 2x500m with 90 sec rest, I'd need my notes but think I went 1:38.0 and 1:37.9. Best for that test previously was 1:32 & 1:31 but wasn't feeling it after the session which opened with 97.5kg x 4 x 10 back squats and went down hill from there.

Wednesday finished with a 15min row for distance 3,819m @ 1:57.9/500m and 22spm average. Again it was a struggle because of what went prior to the row.

I'm expecting a 5k, 2k or tabata to appear in the not too distant future.

Actually I've been noticing a lot of tension lately while rowing in the upper traps/neck. Particularly if I go real hard, any suggestions or thoughts. Physio found knots and stuff so could be still a lingering effect of that but any exercises / stretches welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Tried this for the first time in four years. Did it in 3.39 and the drag setting on 10.

Have a concept 2 at home now so will be trying to beat that time.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Did 100m in a PR of 3:35 last week.
    One of only a handful of time I've gone above 500m :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    Did 100m in a PR of 3:35 last week.
    One of only a handful of time I've gone above 500m :D

That's nothin, I can do the 100m in about 10 seconds :)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That's nothin, I can do the 100m in about 10 seconds :)

whoops

I should just do 100m time trials in future, time savers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I've done 1,000m rows a couple of times now but usually as the starting point of a set of intervals that went 1,000-750-500-250 with reducing rest times.

I know the first time I did that, I was wary of gassing early so I know I had some in the tank but looking over my times now they went 3.25, 3.23, 3.23, 3.23. Had a go last week after training cos I wasn't fried and just did a 1,000m row and did it in 3.18.5.

Depends how I feel on training days but I might not have a go again for a while as the training takes priority but I'd like to see if I can get down to 3.15

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I might embarrass myself and get back into this... :D

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I know it's off topic, what with this being the 1k thread, but I had a first go at 2k the other night. Want sub 7 mins but came in at 7.03

I was too conscious of keeping on pace and set splits of 200m and thought I was on target but I didn't realise that I was probably losing maybe 0.5-0.7s at the turnover of each split, which added the couple of seconds. Copped it too late and couldn't pull it back. 200m to go I thought "please just let me last 40s before I puke".

So I'll go again without splits (or no less than 500m) now I know the s/r to be at to get under 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Best of luck with the 2K..... 7:00 is a good target, just keep an eye on the Drag and set it to what suits you best. 3 seconds is just an issue of getting your breathing right.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    bduffy wrote: »
    Best of luck with the 2K..... 7:00 is a good target, just keep an eye on the Drag and set it to what suits you best. 3 seconds is just an issue of getting your breathing right.

I think I had my technique and breathing reasonably covered. My pace, less so. Overly conscious of not going too fast but staying on pace cost me.

But I'll go work at 500-1000 again, bring them down and go back up to 2k.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    You're all set so...now it's just sweat and patience :-)
    For a 7:00 I usually keep at 1:45 for 3 x 500m and then sprint for the final 500m to get a good finish.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    bduffy wrote: »
    You're all set so...now it's just sweat and patience :-)
    For a 7:00 I usually keep at 1:45 for 3 x 500m and then sprint for the final 500m to get a good finish.

That's kinda the pace I was aiming for but probably let the pace slip on account of too-short splits. First time at it as well so I didn't know how much I'd have in the tank to sprint towards the end. It felt like I picked up the pace with about 400m to go but not all out until about 300 to go.

Was good to get a marker at least. I think 1000m is the longest I've done.

Thanks for the tips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Hi all done the 2000m today as a challenge thing in work got a time of 7:13 tried keep splits at 1:48 so I could beat someone else for last 600m I went flat out for 2 steady for 2 then flat out again. But prob had bit more in me. Any advice to break the sub 7

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Plenty more qualified than me to advise but in my experience it helped to build up pace for intervals, e.g. aim for consistently getting under 1.40 for 500m, 3.20 for 1,000 etc.

Now, I've only gone at 2000m once and it took 7.03 so you cold take that with a pinch of salt. But I had never tried anything above 1000m but I will go back and build and aim for consistently hitting 1500m in <5.10 amd I'd be confident in going sub-7.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Plenty more qualified than me to advise but in my experience it helped to build up pace for intervals, e.g. aim for consistently getting under 1.40 for 500m, 3.20 for 1,000 etc.

Now, I've only gone at 2000m once and it took 7.03 so you cold take that with a pinch of salt. But I had never tried anything above 1000m but I will go back and build and aim for consistently hitting 1500m in <5.10 amd I'd be confident in going sub-7.

OK thanks I'll look into trying that as I just jumped on today and gave it a go. As I said it was a work challenge and I bet previous by 20 secs so ill work on pace till mine is beat then ill go again at the 2000m

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

To get your time down and really improve there are a multitude of involved training plans out there. Google 'Pete Plan rowing' for a well worn example. But they are time consuming and involve lots of kilometres a week.

If I wanted to game a sub 7 2k in a matter of weeks I'd do the following:

Week One: 6 x 500m, each one sub 1:45 with 90 seconds rest between intervals
    Week Two: 6 x 500m, each one sub 1:45 with 80 seconds rest between intervals
    Week Three: 6 x 500m, each one sub 1:45 with 70 seconds rest between intervals

If you can do this with 40second breaks between intervals and hold it across the 3k of total work you'll be able to hang on for a sub 7min 2k. But, as I say, that's not an approach that can be built upon long term.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Lloyd, would you try the same approach for 1000m, aiming for say 3m20s.
    Multiple 250m, @1m40, reducing rest over time.

Mellor wrote: »
    Lloyd, would you try the same approach for 1000m, aiming for say 3m20s.
    Multiple 250m, @1m40, reducing rest over time.

I guess so. The above approach worked a couple of year's ago when I went to Will and said 'I want to row a sub 6:40 in two months'. Did the above approach (with sub 1:40 500 repeats) and hey presto rowed a sub 6:40 2k. You're just gaming your body to keep going at your desired race pace and make it feel 'default'.

Bear in mind though, this only will work if you're relatively untrained (in a rowing sense) and are looking to lob a few seconds off your current time to your goal time. If your current 1k is 3:25ish an approach like that will work. If it's 3:40, you probably need more general base work and technique before getting near a 3:20.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I guess so. The above approach worked a couple of year's ago when I went to Will and said 'I want to row a sub 6:40 in two months'. Did the above approach (with sub 1:40 500 repeats) and hey presto rowed a sub 6:40 2k. You're just gaming your body to keep going at your desired race pace and make it feel 'default'.

Bear in mind though, this only will work if you're relatively untrained (in a rowing sense) and are looking to lob a few seconds off your current time to your goal time. If your current 1k is 3:25ish an approach like that will work. If it's 3:40, you probably need more general base work and technique before getting near a 3:20.

I'm in the middle, a 3:35 last month.
    I'll give it a go anyway. Haven't been rowing much lately.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I'll have to get the video and upload it here.

100m in 12.8 seconds by Brian Shaw that equalled the world record.

Brian has a little bit of experience on the C2 as he uses it for some of his cardio training.

Sean O'Hagan a strongman from NI did the 100m in 13.2 seconds - a world record in his age group.

Sean's 100m - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=608435072694462&id=417301391807832&_rdr

On the C2 rankings one guy has gone sub 13seconds as well as brian shaw both have 12.8 and after that Sean above is pretty much the 3rd fastest person over this distance.

I don't see professional, olympic medallist rowers doing much under 14 seconds if even.

Saw that, Shaw is a weapon of a human. I don't think it's in the least surprising tbh. The requirements to be exceptional over 2k - particularly on the water - are completely different to being exceptional over 100m on the erg. Shaw's mass becomes an advantage, and his ability to produce brute force is all that matters as there is precious little aerobic component to a 12.8s effort.

In the same way that 500m races on the erg are completely different to 2k's and you could have lads that are competitive in the former but would be miles off in the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    I am an oap and i break 9min for 2k is that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I haven't a time for the 1k, but every now and again I have to do a 2k as part of my workout. My PB is 7'45". I've had the damper set at 10 for my last few 2k rows, but I think if I moved it to ~8 then that would suit me better.

Fair play to those who posted in the last few pages who are aiming for a sub 7 minute 2k! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

TOEJOE wrote: »
    I am an oap and i break 9min for 2k is that good?

Sounds pretty impressive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Rowing is far from my strong point, I'm a jelly-legged mess after it, I just don't do it enough - but we had to do a 2k row for time as part of our workout last night, and I got it done in 8:45.. I'm a 31yo female..
    I'm only back to training properly after 6 months (went to a few classes in between but nothing as strenuous) I need to work on it

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Sounds pretty impressive to me.

It is impressive! They've also aged very well...... :rolleyes:

Advertisement