Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your 1000m row time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Did 1000m in 3:18 today...

...but had to break it into 250m blocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What resistance do people set their rowing machine at? The one at my gym goes from 1 to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    siblers wrote: »
    What resistance do people set their rowing machine at? The one at my gym goes from 1 to 10

It's whatever suits. The problem is that the 10 on your machine might not be the same as the 10 on the one next to you if they're not the same age or as well maintained.

If you want to get consistency across different machines, you'll need to adjust the drag factor to somewhere around 130 (maybe 135 if you're north of 75kg and 125 if you're less).

It's whatever suits. The problem is that the 10 on your machine might not be the same as the 10 on the one next to you if they're not the same age or as well maintained.

If you want to get consistency across different machines, you'll need to adjust the drag factor to somewhere around 130 (maybe 135 if you're north of 75kg and 125 if you're less).

The machine at my gym would be fairly basic and old so I've no way to take that into account, the few times I do use it, I always go at 10. I'll try it at a few different settings to see any if there is much difference in times

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    If you go to more options in the settings, you can display the actual drag setting. It's much easier to be consistent accross machines that way

• Advertisement

Did a time of 3:48. Drag setting seemed to be at around 133, I was dragging the rowing machine back with me as I was doing it (without even realising it).

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I'll have to get the video and upload it here.

100m in 12.8 seconds by Brian Shaw that equalled the world record.

Brian has a little bit of experience on the C2 as he uses it for some of his cardio training.

Sean O'Hagan a strongman from NI did the 100m in 13.2 seconds - a world record in his age group.

Sean's 100m - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=608435072694462&id=417301391807832&_rdr

On the C2 rankings one guy has gone sub 13seconds as well as brian shaw both have 12.8 and after that Sean above is pretty much the 3rd fastest person over this distance.

I don't see professional, olympic medallist rowers doing much under 14 seconds if even.

I cringed at that video, he's using his arms way too much. Rowing is mainly in the legs. But in sating that he still did a lot better than I could ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Mellor wrote: »
    If you go to more options in the settings, you can display the actual drag setting. It's much easier to be consistent accross machines that way

only seeing this now, is this in most of the Concept 2 machines?

there are 3 where I go.

thanks

R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    No technique for the 100m, all back really for big Sean.

However if he tweaked the technique I think he can do sub 13 seconds.

These sprints are dodgy for the old back - you have to get down to race pace in 3 strokes max - kind of exciting when race pace is 1m05-1m06!:D

biZrb wrote: »
    I cringed at that video, he's using his arms way too much. Rowing is mainly in the legs. But in sating that he still did a lot better than I could ever do.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    RTighe wrote: »
    only seeing this now, is this in most of the Concept 2 machines?

there are 3 where I go.
    It's on all Concept2 machines
    biZrb wrote: »
    For a normal distance, it's more about the legs. But you something like 100m efficiency and distance per stroke is less important than total work and strokerate. (He hit a strokerate of 68).

I'm not saying his technique is optimal throughout. But that start is a more correct than pulling full strokes from the start. You won't get the required acceleration with full strokes off the line.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Did 1000m in 3:18 today...

...but had to break it into 250m blocks :D

Week 1: 4 x 250m, 1:20 rest, 3:18.7, (48.9 fastest)
    Week 2: 4 x 250m, 1:00 rest, 3:17.7, (47.8 fastest)
    Week 3: 4 x 250m, 0:50 rest, 3:17.4, (47.6 fastest)......today

Maintain the time as I drop the rest. 40sec next week, then maybe 30.
    The thoughts of 20secs is grim, just long enough for the flywheel to stop and then tying to get it going again.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Week 1: 4 x 250m, 1:20 rest, 3:18.7, (48.9 fastest)
    Week 2: 4 x 250m, 1:00 rest, 3:17.7, (47.8 fastest)
    Week 3: 4 x 250m, 0:50 rest, 3:17.4, (47.6 fastest)......today

Maintain the time as I drop the rest. 40sec next week, then maybe 30.
    The thoughts of 20secs is grim, just long enough for the flywheel to stop and then tying to get it going again.

Week 4: 4 x 250m, 0:40 rest, 3:18.7, (49.1 fastest)

Some time slipped back with only 40sec rest. I'm trying to figure out the point with a short breaks make 4x250m harder than 1000m straight through
    I feel the wheels will come off with 30seconds. :o

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Week 4: 4 x 250m, 0:40 rest, 3:18.7, (49.1 fastest)

Some time slipped back with only 40sec rest. I'm trying to figure out the point with a short breaks make 4x250m harder than 1000m straight through
    I feel the wheels will come off with 30seconds. :o

Would you consider dropping to 35s rests before 30s? At short rests, 10s drop would be killer whereas, mentally at least, 35s would prepare you for the pain of 30s better

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Would you consider dropping to 35s rests before 30s? At short rests, 10s drop would be killer whereas, mentally at least, 35s would prepare you for the pain of 30s better
    Yeah it was something I was considering actually. As the time drops 10sec is a relatively bigger reduction. If anything it should be getting relatively smaller.

35, 30, then maybe 25 and 20

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Yeah it was something I was considering actually. As the time drops 10sec is a relatively bigger reduction. If anything it should be getting relatively smaller.

35, 30, then maybe 25 and 20

How are the splits across the 4 legs?

I used find the first was the slowest cos I was gauging pace to be inside 50s but only just and take it from there.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    How are the splits across the 4 legs?

I used find the first was the slowest cos I was gauging pace to be inside 50s but only just and take it from there.

Pretty stable, all four were within a second today. The last is usually a bit faster as I empty the tank. I know what you mean about finding the pace for the first leg. That sometimes happens if I'm flat out and taking longer rests. But in the first leg above, I'm fresh and holding back a bit to hit the target 50sec. For the last 100m I slow my pace right down so my average/500m would fall to 1:40

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Pretty stable, all four were within a second today. The last is usually a bit faster as I empty the tank. I know what you mean about finding the pace for the first leg. That sometimes happens if I'm flat out and taking longer rests. But in the first leg above, I'm fresh and holding back a bit to hit the target 50sec. For the last 100m I slow my pace right down so my average/500m would fall to 1:40

Yeah, same as that. the last time I did 25m intervals the first was the slowest as I got a handle on the pace I needed to do. The next 4 were within probably .3 of each other and the last was the fastest, like you said.

I didn't have a proper campaign at building a 1000m time though and I'll have a crack at doing the 4x250m and dropping rests when i get back to it cos I was just trying to increase the number of sets and keep rests at 45s the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Can anyone recommend a HIIT training plan for a rower?

I have been doing 30s HI and 45s low for ten reps, takes about 20 mins.

Is this a good starting point? Looking for advise to help with some weight loss and increase fitness, any help greatly appreciated,

I dont use a concept machine, I use a Bodymax R90 which is similar I believe.

thanks,

frAg

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    frag420 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a HIIT training plan for a rower?

I have been doing 30s HI and 45s low for ten reps, takes about 20 mins.

Is this a good starting point? Looking for advise to help with some weight loss and increase fitness, any help greatly appreciated,

I dont use a concept machine, I use a Bodymax R90 which is similar I believe.

thanks,

frAg

There are tons of ways you can do it - it's about manipulation of distances and rest times.

Just to clarify, I don't row to compete or to build to anything in particular...just to increase cv fitness.

I've done things like 30s flat put followed by 30s rest for 10+ rounds. Started at 10 and increased number of 'sets' when I could.

Sets of 250m followed by 45s rest, with the intention of bringing down the rests by 5s until such time as I passed out or got sick.

Sets of 500m with 60s rest, reducing rest over time or adding an extra set.

Pyramid jobbies where you increase the distance up to a peak then back down, e.g. 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m. Rests could be 1:1 so if 200m took you 20s, then rest for 20s and so on.

It can be easy to take it easy on a distance when you're getting tired so set a time limit to stay within so you mitigate that.

Between 2 and 3 minutes

Workout No: 249
    Thurs - Conditioning

Rower:
    250m Row x 4, 0:35 min rest

250m Time Pace S/min
    1 250m 00:50.0 35
    2 250m 00:50.2 33
    3 250m 00:50.2 35
    4 250m 00:50.0 34
    Total 1000m 03:20.4 34

Week 5: 4 x 250m, 0:35 rest, 3:20.4, (50.0, 50.2, 50.2, 50.0)

Had a false start where the monitor wasn't working right. But I only noticed halfway. Was a excellent start too. Had to stop and restart. Probably dampened actual time once

The first was still easy, was at 1:35 or so average pace halfway and had to slow right down to 1:50 come in on target 50seconds. I'm thinking now that a steadier 1:40 pace throughout might be more efficient.

2nd was fine, the 3rd felt tough.

But the 4th. :eek: sweet jesus, that was horrible.
    No power for the start. And felt I was barely hanging on from 100m out. Just about pulled in back to make 50.0. Just down to cumulative fatigue and not recovering. I think 30s will be my last, then a 1000m

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    Solid.

Can only comment on my experience, buy keeping on-pace worked better, especially for the last row.

Keeping to 50s bodes well though

• Registered Users Posts: 36,130 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Remember, you're trying to take 15s off your 1k time in one cycle of training. You'll need to be mentally prepared for how much the second half of your test will suck.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Remember, you're trying to take 15s off your 1k time in one cycle of training. You'll need to be mentally prepared for how much the second half of your test will suck.
    I definitely had that today. Little voice telling me to drop out after the third.
    Then another voice saying "what would Lloyd say..."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,130 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I definitely had that today. Little voice telling me to drop out after the third.
    Then another voice saying "what would Lloyd say..."

Lloyd already said 'this is a good idea if you're only trying to knock maybe five seconds off from your PB to your target time'.

But given you've ignored that, I now say ignore your brain when you test this and hang on the last 400m. Your mind will tell you that you need to stop well in advance of you actually having to stop.

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    I've not gone at 1,000m too often but the first time I got to 300m to go and caved. Finished in about 3.32 or something. To be honest, that feeling sucked worse than piling through 'the wall' the next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    are all these times based on max resistance? (which is usually 10)

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    guile4582 wrote: »

Not necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Between 3 and 4 minutes
    Not necessarily.

kind of important no?

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    kind of important no?

The damper setting isn't really a measure of resistance.

• Advertisement

Between 2 and 3 minutes
    The numbers on the side are airflow settings, not resistance.
    The actually resistance, or to be specific the power, is dependent on both the airflow setting and the speed the flywheel spins at.

The flywheel spinner faster at say 5, could generate more power than one spinning slower at 10.
    kind of important no?
    Not at all important. The power required for a given speed is the same regardless of the setting.

Think of it like gears on a bike. Different gears affect how hard or easy it is to spin the pedals. But cycling 10km in say 20mins is the same regardless of the gear used.

Advertisement