Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Closed] Win a SIM Free HTC Desire HD smartphone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Teleportation app.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wak11935

A practical application (possibly called iKnowalready) that can interrogate your car's computers and diagnose the fault prior to your going to a garage and being told your Fuel Management Computer is dead and they can supply and fit a new one for 1500 euros, cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

The app is called Switch. It would have the ability to control all appliances/switches in a building. So people could turn on the immersion 30mins before they get home, turn the oven on or turn a light off etc.

An app that could monitor electricity usage would be cool too. To see the individual cost of running general appliances. Like the Fridge uses 200W = Xcent per hour.

Something much more practical would be making the calculator ESB provide on their site available as an App. Calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'd like to enter this but I dont know anything about apps, since I still have a Sony Ericsson k800i from 2006.

But If I was to be pushed, my ideal app would be a video of a smartphone screen that I could play on my phone so I could pretend I had a HTC Desire, and make loads of friends so I could then have a party in my house, which will use lots of electricity, which would then earn the ESB enough money to recoup the cost of this competition!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

My ideal app would be a barcode App. You can scan items with it through a barcode reader and pay for items with it through a link to a credit card. It would be so much easier than having to have cash and cards with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

i-Rescue

A brakedown App that registers your GPS location with your breakdown agency.They then come and rescue you on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mogreen

I think an app for my electric meter to tell me when the kids leave on lights and emmersion heater

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DrivesAlot

OK so I've thought of another one,
    the i-dentity app.
    Never get stuck for a persons name again, dont you just hate it when you meet someone and you cant for the life of you remember their name, problem solved, quick cheeky look at the i-dentity app and there low and behold is their name!! :) problem solved!
    could work of bluetooth and will only tell you info about someone who you have already stored on your phone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DrivesAlot

Ok one more attempt to get that phone, it looks class!! ;)

the i-ncognito - are you ever caught rightly by someone you really dont want to stand talking to for hours??? worry no more......
    the i-ncognito - want the ground to open up and swallow you, it'll do just that, blend in against that wall/tree/ building it's got ur back! :cool:

Not exactly sure how this one will work but wouldnt it be great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭buttonsc

Mine is an iJob especially for my children, as soon as somebody leaves or is fired from their jobs it sends in their cv's immediately.regardless of the job!

For myself an iWash. Just to remove clothes from bedroom, wash and dry them and return them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

i-Standby

An app that connects to all your household devices and turns them from standby to off after 15minutes of being on standby. Can be used remotly so everything can be shut down when ur away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Don't know if this comp is closed yet but anyway for what it's worth my idea is an App that means you'll never sleep it again.

You know how when your smartphone alarm goes off you grapple with the phone half asleep and it stops before you get to push a button, then you're not sure which button you accidently touched, snooze or stop.

So you snooze and wake up an hour later.

Well if you had an alarm app with 3 buttons on screen, 1 for snooze and 2 to be pressed together for stop then the chances of accidently pressing stop would be virtually nil.

Of course the final call would revert to 1 button only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Everyone,

As per true random selection at random.org, our winner has now been chosen. The lucky person to receive a SIM Free HTC Desire HD Smartphone is....

p15574 with the following post (#20)!!!
    p15574 wrote:
    Similar to the i-spy above, an app to find the kids when it's dinner time - you'd just hold up the phone and look around and an augmented reality app would overlay their position on the camera view, which you could rotate into a Google maps view from directly above.

You could call it the oiGrubsUp!

Congratulations to p15574, and to everyone else for their own creative contributions. Some of these were so good in fact that we felt we just had to reward them somehow (and it was no easy matter narrowing down the winners). We decided to pick three in the end, all of whom will receive a €25 voucher for ESBstore.ie.

Here are their posts:

Dingatron wrote:
    Mine would be I-PotHole©. If (when) you encounter a bad pothole on the road and wish to report it you could use the app to automatically take a picture of it along with the gps co-ordinents of the pothole and send it by email to the local county council based on the gps co-ordinents.

Colm! wrote:
    Ahh, yes, dream apps. Got a few, here's one I could be bothered to write up now though:
    80972111.png

Hansify - Your life, as soundtracked by Hans Zimmer.
    This app literally contains the DNA of the famous composer, working in tandem with your phone's sensory features to create a unique soundtrack for your surroundings. Not only does it help to raise your self esteem by making everything you do sound incredibly epic, it also has its uses. Use this app to take note of possible dangers, love interests or mistakes you've made by reading the subtle audio cues within the soundtrack! And that's not all. Now available as app addons on Android Market(R) are new dynamic features, including the much requested Morgan Freeman narration mode, and the alternative Daftify mode for those "I just saw Tron Legacey oooooooohhhh Daft Punk soundtrack!!!1!!" people who are neglecting the fact that Hans made the best soundtrack this year fans of Daft Punk.
    Just listen to those goddamn piano chords. You want this app.

Released to rave reviews:
    "This app is goddamn important, buy it!" - Colm!
    "I want an Android phone just for this app." - Colm!
    "I know this app doesn't exist. Gimmie phone anyway?" - Colm!
    "This app makes me wonder why I didn't get some famous film composer to soundtrack the universe in the first place. Where's Morricone when you need him?" - God

And last, but certainly not least, post #502
    discostews wrote:
    iHoover
    So i decided to produce a small advertisement for my app, iHoover...

ihoover_smaller.jpg

Yes. Those are alloys. Clearly. smile.gif

As per my original description:

I envisage an app where i can leave my phone down, and it promptly grows wheels, and finds its way around my house hoovering and collecting dirt. (this may take some programming skill). Upon the receipt of a phone call my wonderful app will promptly drive back to me and perhaps jump into my hand.

I presume the hdc desire can provide such service?!

We were bowled over once again by your response, and FYI, we have another competition posted today for a luxurious weekend away for two at the Maryborough Hotel & Spa in Cork! Details here. :)

All the best,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Hi Everyone,

As per true random selection at random.org, our winner has now been chosen.

This is going to sound like sour grapes, it's not. I'm just wondering what the point is of coming up with ideas/responses to the competition questions when the entire contest is decided by a random number generator? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Pyongyang wrote: »
    This is going to sound like sour grapes, it's not. I'm just wondering what the point is of coming up with ideas/responses to the competition questions when the entire contest is decided by a random number generator? :confused:

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Pyongyang,

I appreciate your point on how we choose the winners. We want to encourage as many boardsies as possible to enter each competition we post here on boards. We feel that the chance to be selected at random is the best way of encouraging as many people as possible to enter.

We were overwhelmed with the great response we received to this competition and appreciate the great effort that went into many of the posts. It is for this reason that we awarded three extra bonus prizes for what we thought to be the best entries.

Congratulations to the winners, there were some brilliant apps that would I would definately be the first to download. We just launched our next competition here where there is a chance to win a Luxury Weekend for two in Maryborough House Hotel Cork.

Best of luck
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

If I win can I remain anonymous(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

It really should have been pointed out that it was a random draw in the HTC Desire thread from the outset.

I actually put some thought into my entry......

Thanks for wasting my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Ronin247 wrote:
    If I win can I remain anonymous(?)

Hi Ronin,

It depends on the prize in question. We only ask for a user's identity if it's absolutely necessary (and only then via PM). To give you an example, we didn't need to ask when we were giving out ESBstore voucher codes as prizes, but with the HALO prize the circumstances were quite different, as it involved the user's own premises etc.

Hope that clears it up.
    jtsuited wrote:
    It really should have been pointed out that it was a random draw in the HTC Desire thread from the outset.

I actually put some thought into my entry......

Thanks for wasting my time.

We're sorry about that jtsuited, you're absolutely right; we should have pointed that out when the thread was initially posted. From now on we won't make that mistake.

Generally we organise competitions so as to encourage the greatest number of users to enter. Our entrance guidelines are put in place to promote a lively and engaging thread; something a little different from one-click and you're in. But I appreciate your point that without explicitly stating our selection process, we inadvertently left users open to supposing that the winner would be chosen purely on the merit of their post.

We appreciate your feedback, and thanks for showing an interest in the forum. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

well it's just annoying considering that nowhere in the original post was the fact that it was merely a randomized draw mentioned.
    In fact, with the patent comment (which as it turns out now was just a bit of a lame joke), I'd say most readers wouldn't have guessed that it was a proper competition and not a draw. In fact 'draw' was not mentioned whatsoever.

I'm wondering now if this competition comes under False Advertising legislation.....don't worry I'm not that type, but saying 'oops, well we've learned our lesson' isn't exactly a great PR exercise.

At least you've admitted wrongdoing and I appreciate that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi jtsuited,

We have used random.org to draw the winners in all of our competitions so far - this will be made clear in competitions going forward with a link to our terms and conditions above.

We were really impressed and grateful for the effort that went into the posts. If is for this reason that we included 3 additional prizes in the HTC Desire HD competition for the best entries.

Thank you
    Chris

Hi jtsuited,

We have used random.org to draw the winners in all of our competitions so far - this will be made clear in competitions going forward with a link to our terms and conditions above.
    Stable door....horse.....bolted.
    We were really impressed and grateful for the effort that went into the posts. If is for this reason that we included 3 additional prizes in the HTC Desire HD competition for the best entries.

And at no point while everybody was submitting their entries (that they put all that effort into) did you think to mention it was a draw??????? The competition ran for a week, and you decided to keep shtum until the end?

here's some interesting reading about it.....

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumer_advertising.html

here's an extract of particular relevance....
    "You do not have to prove that claims made in the advertisement are inaccurate. If the advertiser/trader cannot prove, on the balance of probabilities that the claims made in the advertisement are accurate, the advertisement will be judged to be misleading."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jtsuited wrote: »
    At least you've admitted wrongdoing and I appreciate that.

Then why can't you let it go? They've already admitted that the detail wasn't included in the competitions, so what else can they do? Going on and on about it is going nowhere. It will be fixed in future, so unless you have a time machine handy, there's nothing can be done about what has already happened. If you have further issues with the ESB and how they run competitions, you should take it up directly with them, and not further clutter this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Folks, I have contacted ESB about this. I'm also of the opinion that the winner should have been picked on merit, rather than on random.

Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Brilliant news, wanted one of these for ages, thanks guys! (please don't change your mind now!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

jor el wrote: »
    Then why can't you let it go? They've already admitted that the detail wasn't included in the competitions, so what else can they do? Going on and on about it is going nowhere. It will be fixed in future, so unless you have a time machine handy, there's nothing can be done about what has already happened. If you have further issues with the ESB and how they run competitions, you should take it up directly with them, and not further clutter this thread.

Whats the clutter problem? The purpose of the thread was a competition, thats over now. So someones point, and a valid one at that will hardly interfere with the thread topic will it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

p15574 wrote: »
    Brilliant news, wanted one of these for ages, thanks guys! (please don't change your mind now!!!!)

It was a pure fluke i bet:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Darragh wrote: »
    Folks, I have contacted ESB about this. I'm also of the opinion that the winner should have been picked on merit, rather than on random.

Will let you know how I get on.

might be good to change in future, but if they have told somebody they've won this, wouldnt be happy with it being taken from them!

what if people posted more than once ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

what if people posted more than once ? :confused:

Thats what i was thinking.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »

"If you have further issues with the ESB and how they run competitions, you should take it up directly with them, and not further clutter this thread."

I took it up with them in their T&C thread. I really honestly am struggling to think of a place more apt than that.

Obviously one of the mods thought it important enough to move to this thread, so if you have a problem with that, you should take it up directly with the mod, and not further clutter this thread.

Advertisement